USB not working - Dell Notebook - Intel 82801 Chipset

Hi all,

First of all I read a lot of articles in newsgroups about problems with
Windows 98 SE and USB and could not find a solution for my problem.

My configuraiton looks like this:
Dell Latitude D400 Notebook with Centrino 1400 MHz (Intel 82801 chipset)
and 512 MB RAM.

I need Windows 98 SE with USB on this configuration for compatibility
tests of some software. That's for those who ask why I do do something
weird like this ;-)

It was a pain to install Windows 98 SE with all necessary drivers on
this machine. Especially the Intel 82801 chipset drivers were a pain to
install. But finally I got a stable running configuration.

Hot unplugging my 4 port USB hub (from Belkin) and reconnecting it let
me install the Logitech Optical Pilot Mouse and the Creative MP3+
Soundcard that are connected to this hub. The CD drive that is connected
to the notebook's other USB was never detected and installed (which is
not so important for my tests).

Except for this one time installation no USB device was ever detected
again nor is it working. Tried cold and hot (un)plugging etc. pp.
Another hub and direct connecting, too. Intel drivers for the USB are
installed properly. I even tried to disable the USB emulation in the
BIOS, which I suspected to make some trouble because the USB keyboard
that is connected to the hub, too, works all the time (but this doesn't
appear in the hardware list).

Nothing helps. None of the MS KB articles and patches made any
difference. I cannot use any USB device (except the keyboard) with this
configuration. But this is a must for my tests. Needless to say that the
hardware is ok, running fine with Windows XP.

I'd be happy to hear any idea from someone.

Greetings

Thomas

HAGGIS

" Thomas Osthege" <123-4567@gmx.net> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> First of all I read a lot of articles in newsgroups about problems with
> Windows 98 SE and USB and could not find a solution for my problem.
>
> My configuraiton looks like this:
> Dell Latitude D400 Notebook with Centrino 1400 MHz (Intel 82801 chipset)
> and 512 MB RAM.
>
> I need Windows 98 SE with USB on this configuration for compatibility
> tests of some software. That's for those who ask why I do do something
> weird like this ;-)
>
> It was a pain to install Windows 98 SE with all necessary drivers on
> this machine. Especially the Intel 82801 chipset drivers were a pain to
> install. But finally I got a stable running configuration.
>
> Hot unplugging my 4 port USB hub (from Belkin) and reconnecting it let
> me install the Logitech Optical Pilot Mouse and the Creative MP3+
> Soundcard that are connected to this hub. The CD drive that is connected
> to the notebook's other USB was never detected and installed (which is
> not so important for my tests).
>
> Except for this one time installation no USB device was ever detected
> again nor is it working. Tried cold and hot (un)plugging etc. pp.
> Another hub and direct connecting, too. Intel drivers for the USB are
> installed properly. I even tried to disable the USB emulation in the
> BIOS, which I suspected to make some trouble because the USB keyboard
> that is connected to the hub, too, works all the time (but this doesn't
> appear in the hardware list).
>
> Nothing helps. None of the MS KB articles and patches made any
> difference. I cannot use any USB device (except the keyboard) with this
> configuration. But this is a must for my tests. Needless to say that the
> hardware is ok, running fine with Windows XP.
>
> I'd be happy to hear any idea from someone.
>
> Greetings
>
> Thomas

powered or unpowered hub ? (has its own ac adapter ? )

> Powered hub.
>
> Thomas

hmm just trying to rule out a "brown-out" situation....

hmmm ;-) getting more and more desperated on this. Thanks anyway!

Thomas

"Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

| " Thomas Osthege" <123-4567@gmx.net> wrote in message
| > Powered hub.
| >
| > Thomas
| >

| hmm just trying to rule out a "brown-out" situation....

Did you install and use the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility? If not,
it may be a thought to do so. I can't say, but it is needed in some OS's so it
can direct the OS on how to use the software/drivers that may not be supported
by the OS/system.

You can get the one for 98SE using the 82801 chipset here:
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=816&OSFullName=Windows*+98+SE&lang=eng&strOSs=18&submit=Go%21

Copy/paste the entire link in your browsers address box if the link breaks or
use the tinyURL link below:
http://tinyurl.com/bef4o

Be sure to download/read the instructions on installing as well.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

Thanks Brian!

I tried with and without. No difference.

Thomas

> Thanks Brian!
>
> I tried with and without. No difference.

Bummer! I'm not doubting how you installed the Intel Info Install, but I do
know it has to be done in specific steps using switches depending on whether the
..exe or .zip is used. If the .zip is used then 1 -A switch is used, if the .exe
then 2 -A switches are used. There is also a -P switch to specify a directory in
which to extract the files, if it is not used then they default to c:\program
files\intel\infinst.
Once extracted they mention to copy the correct folder for the chipset being
used to a floppy, I've never done it and always pointed the Hardware Wizard to
the folder in Infinst. Before rebooting or running the HW they mention removing
specific "Standard" devices listed in DM via "View devices by connection" and
expanding out to the "PCI bus" category. Once the Standard devices are removed
you reboot and point to the Infinst folder with the proper chip files to
install.

Do any conflicts show in Device Manager?

Perhaps not a happy thought, but maybe a reboot to Safe Mode and removing
any/all duplicate USB devices or any others that should not be duplicated, then
rebooting normal may sort things out.

If there are drivers for your Belkin USB Hub, perhaps check there site for any
issues or updated drivers for your device.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://basconotw.mvps.org/

> Thomas
>
> "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> | Did you install and use the Intel Chipset Software Installation
> Utility? If not,
> | it may be a thought to do so. I can't say, but it is needed in some
> OS's so it
> | can direct the OS on how to use the software/drivers that may not be
> supported
> | by the OS/system.
> |
> | You can get the one for 98SE using the 82801 chipset here:
> |
> http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=816&OSFullName=Windows*+98+SE&lang=eng&strOSs=18&submit=Go%21
> |
> | Copy/paste the entire link in your browsers address box if the link
> breaks or
> | use the tinyURL link below:
> | http://tinyurl.com/bef4o
> |
> | Be sure to download/read the instructions on installing as well.
> |
> | --
> |
> | Brian A. Sesko
> | { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> | Conflicts start where information lacks.
> | http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> | http://basconotw.mvps.org/

Thank you very much Brian!

I read and executed all that stuff that Intel wrote. That's why I wrote
that it was a pain installing the drivers. I tried all these different
ways and expanded the drivers to the default directory and used the P
switch, too. Etc. pp.

Tried save Safe Mode, uninstalling etc., too.

Unfortunately there is no driver for the Belkin hub. Tried another hub,
too.

No conflicts regarding USB or PCI. Others, like the chip card reader, of
course (this is a new machine and W98 SE is an old OS).

To me it looks like the machine is simply too fast. If there were some
delays while initializing a hub and interrogating the connected
peripherals it might work better. There is an article in the MS KB that
mentiones something like that. Unfortunately the patch that is provided
with this article doesn't help. It is basically not prepared for my
configuration.

I guess, I give up.

Have nice weekend!

|" Thomas Osthege" <123-4567@gmx.net> wrote in message
| > Thanks Brian!
| >
| > I tried with and without. No difference.
|
| Bummer! I'm not doubting how you installed the Intel Info Install, but
I do
| know it has to be done in specific steps using switches depending on
whether the
| .exe or .zip is used. If the .zip is used then 1 -A switch is used, if
the .exe
| then 2 -A switches are used. There is also a -P switch to specify a
directory in
| which to extract the files, if it is not used then they default to
c:\program
| files\intel\infinst.
| Once extracted they mention to copy the correct folder for the chipset
being
| used to a floppy, I've never done it and always pointed the Hardware
Wizard to
| the folder in Infinst. Before rebooting or running the HW they mention
removing
| specific "Standard" devices listed in DM via "View devices by
connection" and
| expanding out to the "PCI bus" category. Once the Standard devices are
removed
| you reboot and point to the Infinst folder with the proper chip files
| install.
|
| Do any conflicts show in Device Manager?
|
| Perhaps not a happy thought, but maybe a reboot to Safe Mode and
removing
| any/all duplicate USB devices or any others that should not be
duplicated, then
| rebooting normal may sort things out.
|
| If there are drivers for your Belkin USB Hub, perhaps check there site
for any
| issues or updated drivers for your device.
|

| --
|
| Brian A. Sesko
| { MS MVP_Shell/User }
| Conflicts start where information lacks.
| http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| http://basconotw.mvps.org/
| >
| > Thomas
| >
| > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
| > | Did you install and use the Intel Chipset Software Installation
| > Utility? If not,
| > | it may be a thought to do so. I can't say, but it is needed in
some
| > OS's so it
| > | can direct the OS on how to use the software/drivers that may not
be
| > supported
| > | by the OS/system.
| > |
| > | You can get the one for 98SE using the 82801 chipset here:
| > |

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=816&OSFullName=Windows*+98+SE&lang=eng&strOSs=18&submit=Go%21
| > |
| > | Copy/paste the entire link in your browsers address box if the
link
| > breaks or
| > | use the tinyURL link below:
| > | http://tinyurl.com/bef4o
| > |
| > | Be sure to download/read the instructions on installing as well.
| > |
| > | --
| > |