taskbar like horizontal block on top of the monitor screen

A couple of questrions pertaining to w98se,
1/ on the taskbar, there are many icons, do I simply delete it if I dont
want to have the icon on the taskbar?

2/ there is also a 'taskbar like' horizontal block on top of the screen. In
this block, it has all the folder eof what is in 'my computer' such as
floppy disk A, c drive etc cd rom. net working etc
How do I get rid of the horitontal bar on top of the screen.

many thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about taskbar horizontal block monitor screen

    The "Task Bar" can have many "tool bars". Most likely what you are seeing
    at the top of your desktop is a "my Computer" tool bar. If you don't this
    tool bar, right-mouse click on the Task Bar, go to Toolbars in the menu and
    uncheck the "my computer" toolbar.

    As for your first question, you did not make it clear where these icons are.
    If they are in the "system tray" (next to the clock), you can not just
    delete them. They are put there by start-up programs. You have to change
    the status of startup items to remove these icon. If they are in the
    general Taskbar, most likely they are in at "toolbar" called "Quick Start".
    You can remove these icon by right-mouse clicking on each and choose
    "delete" from the menu, or you can drag them up onto your desktop. Or you
    can uncheck the "quick launch" toolbar just like you did for the "my
    computer" toolbar.

    "tim" <tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >A couple of questrions pertaining to w98se,
    > 1/ on the taskbar, there are many icons, do I simply delete it if I dont
    > want to have the icon on the taskbar?
    >
    > 2/ there is also a 'taskbar like' horizontal block on top of the screen.
    > In
    > this block, it has all the folder eof what is in 'my computer' such as
    > floppy disk A, c drive etc cd rom. net working etc
    > How do I get rid of the horitontal bar on top of the screen.
    >
    > many thanks

    On my first question, it refers to the "quick launch' which I have now
    deleted as instructred. "My computer tools bars" also been resolved. Many
    thanks for your help

    "Richard in AZ" wrote:

    > The "Task Bar" can have many "tool bars". Most likely what you are seeing
    > at the top of your desktop is a "my Computer" tool bar. If you don't this
    > tool bar, right-mouse click on the Task Bar, go to Toolbars in the menu and
    > uncheck the "my computer" toolbar.
    >
    > As for your first question, you did not make it clear where these icons are.
    > If they are in the "system tray" (next to the clock), you can not just
    > delete them. They are put there by start-up programs. You have to change
    > the status of startup items to remove these icon. If they are in the
    > general Taskbar, most likely they are in at "toolbar" called "Quick Start".
    > You can remove these icon by right-mouse clicking on each and choose
    > "delete" from the menu, or you can drag them up onto your desktop. Or you
    > can uncheck the "quick launch" toolbar just like you did for the "my
    > computer" toolbar.
    >

    > "tim" <tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >A couple of questrions pertaining to w98se,
    > > 1/ on the taskbar, there are many icons, do I simply delete it if I dont
    > > want to have the icon on the taskbar?
    > >
    > > 2/ there is also a 'taskbar like' horizontal block on top of the screen.
    > > In
    > > this block, it has all the folder eof what is in 'my computer' such as
    > > floppy disk A, c drive etc cd rom. net working etc
    > > How do I get rid of the horitontal bar on top of the screen.
    > >
    > > many thanks

Taskbar Monitors Windows