3700+ overclocked 100MHz, and computer won't boot

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Last night, I was bored, so I went into the BIOS, and raised the FSB from 200 to 205; a 50MHz overclock. I exited the BIOS, and loaded Windows. Upon seeing that it worked, I restarted, went into the BIOS, and set the FSB to 210; a 100MHz overclock over the original 2.2GHz. I exited the BIOS and... black screen. I turned off the computer by holding the power button. I waited five minutes, turned it on again, and another black screen. What should I do? My specs are in my signature. Thanks in advance.

orphan

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Try turning your motherboard completely off with the switch on the psu or unplugging the psu. When i overclock too high and i have to shut down it wont boot again until i turn the motherboard totally off and then on again. It works for me anyways. Tell me if this works for you as well. Good luck :wink:

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
reset your bios with the jumper on your motherboard near your mobo battery. Then lower your memory from 400..... down one notch.... then try again.... if you mess it up... reset your bios using the jumper.... it's easy

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Try turning your motherboard completely off with the switch on the psu or unplugging the psu. When i overclock too high and i have to shut down it wont boot again until i turn the motherboard totally off and then on again. It works for me anyways. Tell me if this works for you as well. Good luck :wink:

It didn't work.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Can you go back to the BIOS and reset the FSB to stock. Try getting into your BIOS again and lowering the FSB, and see if that will let you boot into Windwos.

You system is unstable for whatever reason after the FSB increase.

What's your cooling, and check temps if you can get back into Windows.

I can't get into the BIOS; that's the problem.

reset your bios with the jumper on your motherboard near your mobo battery. Then lower your memory from 400..... down one notch.... then try again.... if you mess it up... reset your bios using the jumper.... it's easy
To reset the BIOS, I just pull the jumper out and put in back in again, right?

roncpem

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
take the battery out, unplug the power supply from the board, reseat any cards & retry again & if you get into the bios, reset the defaults.

Amd64lad

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
to reset the bios that way you have to start the computer with the battery out of the motherboard then it'll post and you shut down again reseat the battery and boot back up and everything will be back to default in the bios

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
to reset the BIOS to stock settings, there are 3 pins.....X Y Z.... the jumper is currently on pins Y and Z...... move it to Y and X...... wait about 5 seconds and move it back to the original position. X being the far left or right pin that is currently not being jumpered.... Y being the middle pin that is jumpered to Z.... the pin on the other side of Y. Also.... if you have a manual for that board.... it will show it.

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Did my post make sense Ducky? It is really easy.... and works every time, just open up the case, move the jumper over, wait five seconds, move it back.... and restart..... Bios is reset to defaults..... why has no one else suggested this? It is the easiest way.....

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Did my post make sense Ducky? It is really easy.... and works every time, just open up the case, move the jumper over, wait five seconds, move it back.... and restart..... Bios is reset to defaults..... why has no one else suggested this? It is the easiest way.....
It worked. Thanks a lot :). Do you have any idea why the CPU temperature is being shown as 14C in the BIOS?

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Probably the temp sensors have been configured badly... should be more in the 30s-40s... not 10s... that would be watercooling temps...

That's what I was thinking. How do you configure the sensors? I just reset the BIOS, so I'd think it would show the correct temperature.

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
the ram will go back up..... all you are doing is turning it down, and then making it go back towards 400 again with your OC. Rather than OC'ing the ram above 400, which it obviously cannot do.

Bungsta

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
If you raise the fsb, the ram speed will go up 2mhz for every 1mhz you raise the FSB, since you have it in dual channel mode. So, for example, let's say you raise your FSB from 200 to 210, your RAM speed (starting at 333mhz) will raise to 353mhz.

What brand of RAM do you have? If you have decent RAM it shouldn't have any trouble running a 10mhz FSB overclock at stock voltages, what you may need to do is raise your memory timings a little, try setting your timings at 3-4-4-8 and leave your ram at DDR400, then try the 210mhz FSB speed.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
If you raise the fsb, the ram speed will go up 2mhz for every 1mhz you raise the FSB, since you have it in dual channel mode. So, for example, let's say you raise your FSB from 200 to 210, your RAM speed (starting at 333mhz) will raise to 353mhz.

What brand of RAM do you have? If you have decent RAM it shouldn't have any trouble running a 10mhz FSB overclock at stock voltages, what you may need to do is raise your memory timings a little, try setting your timings at 3-4-4-8 and leave your ram at DDR400, then try the 210mhz FSB speed.

The RAM that I have is some no-name brand crap. It came with my computer, which was originally an HP with a P4. I think I'll just leave the RAM at DDR333, and overclock until it's back to DDR400.

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
Never had that problem before.... sorry, but I wouldn't really worry about it. Just make sure the heat sink is well seated and gets warm when you turn the computer on, then you know it is making pretty good contact. Other than that, I don't know what it would take to burn out one of these chips, other than removing the HS. I have tried to make them to hot with voltage on OC, just as long as the fan was running, they never burned up from heat.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Never had that problem before.... sorry, but I wouldn't really worry about it. Just make sure the heat sink is well seated and gets warm when you turn the computer on, then you know it is making pretty good contact. Other than that, I don't know what it would take to burn out one of these chips, other than removing the HS. I have tried to make them to hot with voltage on OC, just as long as the fan was running, they never burned up from heat.

If I'm overclocking, I want to know the exact CPU temperature.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
At 220MHz FSB, I got a BSOD. I restarted the computer, and set the FSB to 215. Prime95 failed after 3 minutes. I'll check the contact between the CPU and the heatsink. BRB

weskurtz81

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2006
You should be able to go well over 220, should be able to get it up to a 250 multi at least..... good luck man. Make sure to adjust the CPU voltage while you are doing this.... or you won't get much of a OC.