Processor speeds

hello,

i recently upgraded my processor from amd duron 1200mhz to an athalon xp
3000 at 2800mhz. i am using windows 98, and my mboard, has a highest fsb of
333mhz, matching my memory. the xp works fine at 1200. my board is designed
to work, at max, to 2800mhz with the 333fsb. --that being NOT overclocked.
but when windows loads, up, partway while loading the desktop, the mouse
pointer freezes, and the keyboard and mouse are non responsive. soemtimes i
can ctrl-alt-del, and sometimes not. but this is usually cyclical, with an
occasional system error message pertaining to explorer.exe or taskmgr.exe, or
something. i cannot get windows to boot up properly. and then only in safe
mode, and when in safe mode, it reports the cpu speed, through dxdiag, as
1700-something mhz, when ive set it to 2800.

does this OS top out at a certain processing level, one that ive surpassed?
is there any way to get win98 to work with a 2800 cpu? any help would be much
appreciated.

thanks
5 answers Last reply
More about processor speeds

    The AMD Athlon XP 3000+ does not have a processor speed of 2800MHz (2.8GHz). The
    Athlon XP 3000+ has a processor speed of 2167MHz (2.16GHz). Based on that info, you
    should not have it set to 2800.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    > hello,
    >
    > i recently upgraded my processor from amd duron 1200mhz to an athalon xp
    > 3000 at 2800mhz. i am using windows 98, and my mboard, has a highest fsb of
    > 333mhz, matching my memory. the xp works fine at 1200. my board is designed
    > to work, at max, to 2800mhz with the 333fsb. --that being NOT overclocked.
    > but when windows loads, up, partway while loading the desktop, the mouse
    > pointer freezes, and the keyboard and mouse are non responsive. soemtimes i
    > can ctrl-alt-del, and sometimes not. but this is usually cyclical, with an
    > occasional system error message pertaining to explorer.exe or taskmgr.exe, or
    > something. i cannot get windows to boot up properly. and then only in safe
    > mode, and when in safe mode, it reports the cpu speed, through dxdiag, as
    > 1700-something mhz, when ive set it to 2800.
    >
    > does this OS top out at a certain processing level, one that ive surpassed?
    > is there any way to get win98 to work with a 2800 cpu? any help would be much
    > appreciated.
    >
    > thanks

    > hello,
    >
    > i recently upgraded my processor from amd duron 1200mhz to an athalon xp
    > 3000 at 2800mhz. i am using windows 98, and my mboard, has a highest fsb of
    > 333mhz, matching my memory. the xp works fine at 1200. my board is designed
    > to work, at max, to 2800mhz with the 333fsb. --that being NOT overclocked.
    > but when windows loads, up, partway while loading the desktop, the mouse
    > pointer freezes, and the keyboard and mouse are non responsive. soemtimes i
    > can ctrl-alt-del, and sometimes not. but this is usually cyclical, with an
    > occasional system error message pertaining to explorer.exe or taskmgr.exe, or
    > something. i cannot get windows to boot up properly. and then only in safe
    > mode, and when in safe mode, it reports the cpu speed, through dxdiag, as
    > 1700-something mhz, when ive set it to 2800.
    >
    > does this OS top out at a certain processing level, one that ive surpassed?
    > is there any way to get win98 to work with a 2800 cpu? any help would be much
    > appreciated.
    >
    > thanks

    As Glee stated, the XP3000+ (333MHz) has a normal operating speed of 2167MHz.
    Its multplier is 13 (13 x 166 = 2158). The FSB is actually 166MHz. (333MHz is
    for advertising purposes:ie:double data rate)
    So, your BIOS is either trying to raise the multiplier to 21 or it is trying to
    jack up the FSB to aprox 215MHz when you set it for a cpu speed of 2800MHz.
    If you have to set the speeds manually, use 166 for the FSB and 13 for the
    multiplier for factory settings.
    I don't know the cpu voltage setting.

    > As Glee stated, the XP3000+ (333MHz) has a normal operating speed of 2167MHz.
    > Its multplier is 13 (13 x 166 = 2158). The FSB is actually 166MHz. (333MHz is
    > for advertising purposes:ie:double data rate)
    > So, your BIOS is either trying to raise the multiplier to 21 or it is trying to
    > jack up the FSB to aprox 215MHz when you set it for a cpu speed of 2800MHz.
    > If you have to set the speeds manually, use 166 for the FSB and 13 for the
    > multiplier for factory settings.
    > I don't know the cpu voltage setting.

    okay,

    but im using memory designed (for) around 333mhz mhz bus settings, and my
    board can afford it. and so i thought with the processor im using. SO, why
    166, and how can i safely operate the processor at the proper (and highest)
    speed, and use the memory at its 333mhz.

    thank you

    The memory doesn't actually run at 333mHz either, it runs at 166mHz with a
    dual data access cycle at that speed.

    The best thing to do is to either set your PC up with the specifications
    that the processor requires, or to put the whole thing on AUTO and let the
    BIOS figure out the correct processor and memory speeds. What you're doing
    could cause damage to the CPU, the memory, or the entire system.

    >> As Glee stated, the XP3000+ (333MHz) has a normal operating speed of
    >> 2167MHz.
    >> Its multplier is 13 (13 x 166 = 2158). The FSB is actually 166MHz.
    >> (333MHz is
    >> for advertising purposes:ie:double data rate)
    >> So, your BIOS is either trying to raise the multiplier to 21 or it is
    >> trying to
    >> jack up the FSB to aprox 215MHz when you set it for a cpu speed of
    >> 2800MHz.
    >> If you have to set the speeds manually, use 166 for the FSB and 13 for
    >> the
    >> multiplier for factory settings.
    >> I don't know the cpu voltage setting.
    >

    > okay,
    >
    > but im using memory designed (for) around 333mhz mhz bus settings, and my
    > board can afford it. and so i thought with the processor im using. SO, why
    > 166, and how can i safely operate the processor at the proper (and
    > highest)
    > speed, and use the memory at its 333mhz.
    >
    > thank you

    > > As Glee stated, the XP3000+ (333MHz) has a normal operating speed of
    2167MHz.
    > > Its multplier is 13 (13 x 166 = 2158). The FSB is actually 166MHz. (333MHz
    is
    > > for advertising purposes:ie:double data rate)
    > > So, your BIOS is either trying to raise the multiplier to 21 or it is trying
    > > jack up the FSB to aprox 215MHz when you set it for a cpu speed of 2800MHz.
    > > If you have to set the speeds manually, use 166 for the FSB and 13 for the
    > > multiplier for factory settings.
    > > I don't know the cpu voltage setting.
    >

    > okay,
    >
    > but im using memory designed (for) around 333mhz mhz bus settings, and my
    > board can afford it. and so i thought with the processor im using. SO, why
    > 166, and how can i safely operate the processor at the proper (and highest)
    > speed, and use the memory at its 333mhz.
    >
    > thank you

    John,
    A 266MHz cpu has an actual FSB of 133MHz. A 333MHz cpu has an actual FSB
    of 166MHJz.
    Your 333MHz ram running at full speed actually runs on a FSB of 166MHz.
    They all run at a 'double data' rate which is why the higher number is used (it
    sounds faster).
    Let your PC set it automatically or set it manually to a FSB of 166MHz and a
    multiplier of 13.

Processors Windows