AHHH my computer wont start

stryoftheyearxx

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
HI, for sum reason today my compouter won't start. It starts up goes through the POST and I hear the beep but then when Windows is suppose to load nothing shows up and theres just a blnk screen. What could be the problem here? I've reseted the BIOS and the CMOS, I've removed everything and plug it back in.

srry if I put this in the wrong section, wasnt sure where to put it.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
HI, for sum reason today my compouter won't start. It starts up goes through the POST and I hear the beep but then when Windows is suppose to load nothing shows up and theres just a blnk screen. What could be the problem here? I've reseted the BIOS and the CMOS, I've removed everything and plug it back in.

srry if I put this in the wrong section, wasnt sure where to put it.

Kind of a tough call there but, for some reason your hard drive doesn't sound like it's doing it's job. Could be going bad or has a bad sector on it. How old and what type of hard drive are you using?

Generally, when a machine is capable of going thru post sucessfully and can't load windows, it's usually an IDE controller problem or hard drive problem of some sort. Go ahead and give us the type of motherboard as well so we can further troubleshoot.

"It starts up goes through the POST and I hear the beep but then when Windows is suppose to load nothing shows up and theres just a blnk screen. "

Are you getting any display at all during the POST sequence? (Or do yo mean it goes blank after/during the Windows splash screen?)

stryoftheyearxx

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
I have a ASUS A8n-SLI, my hardrive is a Western Digital Caviar SE 80 GB. During POST there is a screen, but after that it goes blank when Windows is suppose to be loading.

sailer

Splendid
Funny thing, or not so funny, I had the same thing happen to my computer a few days ago. Would get the splash screen, the POST, and then nothing but black screen. I have an ASUS A8N 32-SLI Deluxe. I thought it was a bad motherboard or graphics card. I tested the graphics card and found out it was good, so the prime suspect was the motherboard. I called the company and went through the usual drill; reload windows, test the ram, take out periferals and put them back one at a time, even stuff shuffle between slots. Finally the company admitted that the motherboard was bad and to RMA it.

Now I'm using my son's computer until I get the new board in. When it comes time to buy a new motherboard, I'm going to give DFI a try. I'ved heard too many reports of problems with ASUS lately. Wish I'd known that before I ordered the ASUS board. Not sure if your problem's the same, but its something to think about.

cisco

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2004
Could be a number of things. Try booting in safe mode. If it still won't boot then chances are either the hard drive is bad or windows is corrupted. If you are able to boot in safe mode, it might be a driver issue. I would either try reinstalling the possible problem driver or if you have no idea you could do a system restore to a earlier time when you know everything was working fine.

stryoftheyearxx

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2006
yippeee!!! my comp works again I have to reformat my comp and instal Windows again. thought my mobo was defective to. thanxs for the help guys.

bluntside

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Its your bios :D
Seems that you might want to short the CMOS and reload it back to operational status, unless your ram is not corresponding with the commands, the its your mobo, in 85% shure of it, but I've been known to make mistakes :twisted: