Restart in MS-DOS mode doesn't work

Hello,

My user had a hard drive failure. I replaced the hard drive and reinstalled
Win98. When "Restart in MS-DOS mode" is selected, the screen goes black and
nothing happens. Does any one know why this is happening and how I can fix
this?

Thanks for your help,
Millie
6 answers Last reply
More about restart mode doesn work

    "Millie" <Millie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > My user had a hard drive failure. I replaced the hard drive and
    reinstalled
    > Win98. When "Restart in MS-DOS mode" is selected, the screen goes black
    and
    > nothing happens. Does any one know why this is happening and how I can fix
    > this?
    >
    > Thanks for your help,
    > Millie

    See if this helps

    Computer Hangs When You Try to Restart in MS-DOS Mode
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=232657&sd=RMVP

    If Hugh's suggestion doesn't work, then check with the manufacturer of the
    video card to see if there is an updated driver.

    PattyL

    "Millie" <Millie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > My user had a hard drive failure. I replaced the hard drive and
    > reinstalled
    > Win98. When "Restart in MS-DOS mode" is selected, the screen goes black
    > and
    > nothing happens. Does any one know why this is happening and how I can fix
    > this?
    >
    > Thanks for your help,
    > Millie

    In addition to Chris, if you find it to be an issue with either config.sys or
    autoexec.bat, see if the machine is using a Creative Sound adapter. If it is, it
    may be that it is loading the DOS sound emulator which I have found to cause the
    symptoms you experience. If it is, disable the emulator in Device Manager and
    see if it cures the problem.

    Right click MyComputer
    Click Properties > Device Manager tab
    Click the + next to Creative Miscellaneous Devices
    Double click Creative SB16 Emulation to open its properties
    Under the General tab put a check next to Disable In This Hardware Profile
    Click Ok > Ok

    Creative's sound emulator is only needed if you use sound in DOS, and as I
    mentioned it has caused issues with restarting in DOS.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }

    "Millie" <Millie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > My user had a hard drive failure. I replaced the hard drive and reinstalled
    > Win98. When "Restart in MS-DOS mode" is selected, the screen goes black and
    > nothing happens. Does any one know why this is happening and how I can fix
    > this?
    >
    > Thanks for your help,
    > Millie

    On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 19:07:01 -0700, Millie

    >My user had a hard drive failure. I replaced the hard drive and reinstalled
    >Win98. When "Restart in MS-DOS mode" is selected, the screen goes black and
    >nothing happens. Does any one know why this is happening and how I can fix
    >this?

    A .pif that is set to run in MS-DOS Mode can run in two ways:
    - "Use with current configuratrion" (default)
    - "Specify a new..." (better).

    The .pif used to "Restart in MS-DOS Mode" is "Exit to DOS.pif" in the
    Windows base directory. It doesn't exist after a new install, until
    the option is invoked; then it's created on the fly.

    So, start by seraching for this file. If it doesn't exist, that
    implies attempts to restart in MS-DOS Mode are dying very early (or
    you aren't searching properly - think typos, missing quotes, wrong
    path to search in, hiding system files etc.)

    If it does exist, change it to "Specify a new..." and see if that
    works. If not, then troubleshoot Command.com versions, and try
    deleting "Exit to DOS.pif" in case it's bad, so a new one is made.

    If "Specify..." works, then suspect bad settings in one or more of the
    following, such that the session fails:
    - C:\Config.sys
    - C:\AutoExec.bat
    - DOSStart.bat that is in the Windows base directory

    Rename away each of these in turn, and retry.

    Background:

    "Use with current..." exits Windows to run the DOS mode session,
    without rebooting, so that the original Windows C:\Config.sys and
    C:\Autoexec.bat remain in effect. In addition to whatever was loaded
    there, the session runs DOSStart.bat as the session starts. When
    done, the session returns to Windows without rebooting, unless
    something has loaded as a driver or TSR (Terminate and Stay Resident)
    program during the session - in which case, the session restarts to
    return to Windows, running the Windows startup files again.

    "Specify a new..." does not use DOSStart.bat, nor does it use the
    Windows C:\Config.sys and C:\Autoexec.bat (this is the key to its
    power!). Instead, a private pair of startup files are extracted as
    C:\Config.sys and C:\Autoexec.bat while the originals are copied to
    C:\*.WOS forms. The system then reboots into the DOS session, using
    the new startup files. When the session ends, the startup files are
    re-incorporated into the /pif from whence they came, and the *.WOS
    files are renamed back into action before the PC reboots to Windows.

    Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
    better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!

    hugh, hello..
    saw dosstart.bat via your link.
    notepaded it via dos but didnt exist, is it
    win 98?

    ...Rex..

    "Rex" <Rex@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > hugh, hello..
    > saw dosstart.bat via your link.
    > notepaded it via dos but didnt exist, is it
    > win 98?

    This will help to explain it

    How to Run Automatic Commands When Starting in MS-DOS Mode
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;141308

MS-DOS Hard Drives Microsoft Windows