Is my Venice fried?

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Anyways, got my 7900GTX's and my system is being a complete b!tch, i mean hardcore b!tch. It locked up when I got to windows trying to keep my CPU OC, which is fine, I was expecting that. So I declocked it closer and closer to stock and I got nothing. It kept wigging out when I booted up Lineage II. Then out of nowhere the next time I booted I got this LOUD hissing sound for 3 seconds or so from my speakers. I can't figure out wtf is goin on. I think maybe my NB is overheating because the 7900GTX cooler blocks 65% of the NB fan. I have it set to full power all the time but that didn't help. So I positioned a 80MM fan between the GTX rear and the rotated HDD cage in an effort to try and determine if its a NB problem.

Well that didn't help either. I ended up upping the chipset voltage a tad to 1.6v which helped for a bit and I got LIneage II to run stabaly for 2 hours. Then I came back and tried to play ( was setup in a sell shop) and the system just went BSOD and said something about a USB error. Then I went to turn it back on after that and the power came on, but no screen of the BIOS, no anything. What I managed to determine via DFI's Diagnostic LED's was it doesn't seem the Mobo is detecting the CPU. There are 4 LED's on the Expert, when you turn it on it lights up all four, then reduces to 3 when the CPU is detected, then 2 when the RAM is detected then 1 when VGA is detected, then 0 when system boots. Mine is stuck on 4 LED's.

I was running the Venice at 250x11 @ 1.6v under water for five months, and temps were 39-42C under load (CPU was cooled after 7800GTX's in the loop). I guess I need a new CPU or is it possible my Mobo died too?

I don't know what power supply you have, but those video cards are eating alot of juice. Before screwing with voltages, unplug and pull out one of those cards and see what happens. A psu upgrade is a lot cheaper than replacing your chip

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I pulled out everything except the CPU (because thats a pain in the ass lol) and tried to boot up and it still hung with the 4 diagnostic LED's lit.

I have also plugged just one card in and tried it and no go. My PSU is a beefy ass SLI certified FSP Group Epsilon 600W bad boy (see sig).

The basic question is, is it the mobo or the CPU? I am leaning towards CPU but I want yalls advice. I have no spare parts to deal with FYI. :cry:

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Well I was applying 3.01V to memory, and 1.616v to CPU, 1.66v to chipset, 1.3v to LDT

My watercooling did fail and I had planned on replacing it at the end of next month, but this little catastrophe as upset those plans. I went out and got a Thermaltake Big Typhoon to cool the CPU while I was saving up some cash.

Note: I disassembled my WC before it failed entirely, it never stopped working while the computer was on.

Edit: What are your thoughts then wusy?

pat

Expert
Oh wait, what was the stock voltage for Venice again?
(I don't even remember my Barton stock voltage and think of it as 1.9V...)

IIRC, it is 1.4 or 1.45v. 1.55 is the last "safe" voltage that most motherboard allow.

Older XP were stock at 1.65, IIRC..

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Now you know why I am so confused. I am barely outside the so called "safe" range and it was under water that I was applying those voltages. So this leaves me back where I started, confused and frustrated lol. :?

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Yeah, sh!t does happen. Its just at a most unfortunate time, Finals. I'm going to try one or two things just for the hell of it. In all reality I hope its the mobo... its much cheaper than a CPU hehe.

Edit: I managed to get my hands on the SLI patch, I might get a RD580 board now :)

old_times

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
I had a similar issue with a brand new GIGAByte 975x board. The system would boot up with black screen. Try to take out your RAM, VGA and cpu at a time and see if the motherboard gives the correct beep code.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
Broke it down piece by piece and once i got to nothing left on the mobo except power connectors it didn't even beep at all. It didn't recognize there was not a processor at all, and if there was a processor in it it didn't do a damn thing.

cmptrdude79

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Super, you're just having a bundle of bad luck with your system. I'm sorry to hear that. Good choice of CPU coolers, though. :D

As much as it pains me to say this, there is no way to determine whether it is your motherboard or CPU at this point, although given that you are being presented with the no-CPU detected indicator on your DFI board, I'd lean a little more that way.

Good luck.

-J

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I was originally leaning toward CPU failure too, but then I thought it through based on what I did. First thing was disconnect all the hard drives/cd drives and try to boot, no go. Remove the graphics card, no go. Remove the RAM, no go. Remove the CPU, no go.

In every single case I got the same LED error messages, which would seem to indicate hey you CPU is fried you dumb ass (referring to myself of course lol). However, if there isn't a CPU present the mobo should beep, which it did not. The reason I know it should beep is because one time after I took out the ram amd powered on ( i tried each situation at least 3 times), it detected the CPU and beeped on RAM detection error. So from that i extrapolated that the mobo should beep if any base component is not found, which leads me to my conclusion that because it did not beep even when there was no CPU installed, that it is the mainboard that failed.

cmptrdude79

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Hmm. I've never had a mainboard that beeped when no CPU was detected. Normally, I would just get an apparently good power-up, all fans spin-up, drives spin-up, but no beeps. Then again, I haven't built up too many DFI-based systems, and their boards may be an entirely different animal. I hope it is the motherboard, for your sake.

BTW, let me know how you like your new DFI board. I'm wanting to replace my A8N-SLI in my sig rig (and am hoping to break 3GHz on air with it :lol: )

Anyway, wishing you the best of luck.

-J

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
I'll keep yall posted on my progress. Another factor is mobo's are cheaper and 100000000x times easier to return when compared with a CPU.

I have heard the dead board beep before whenever things go awry, even something as small as a change in the boot order.

Ordered it today so it should be here thursday and I'll get to the build thursday afternoon after my Intermediate Accounting Final..... god life sucks lol :tongue:

Trance183

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
i had that problem before. system wouldn't detect the processor. all kinds of crap would happen. so i took out the cpu and it turned out a pin was damaged. P4 2.4Ghz 478. not sure about ur situation though, just thought i'd let u know. good luck dude. curious to know whats up.

SuperFly03

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2004
i had that problem before. system wouldn't detect the processor. all kinds of crap would happen. so i took out the cpu and it turned out a pin was damaged. P4 2.4Ghz 478. not sure about ur situation though, just thought i'd let u know. good luck dude. curious to know whats up.

Yup did that to, I basicly went over it with a fine tooth comb looking for any pin even bent, and all 939 were in perfect order.

Thanks for the suggestion, keep the ideas comin :)

ikjadoon

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2006
Good Luck with the new board...A few ideas:
I know you got an awesome PSU, just checked a few sites, but are the voltages OK?
No USB Devices connected?
Did this problem start as soon as you put in the new GTX's?

I'm sure you've done everything, just checking. Amazing system, btw...

~Ibrahim~