What's up with them names?

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Smithfield,Conroe, Toledo, Turion, Merom, bla bla bla....and the list goes on.

How do they come up with these stuff and does this mean anything other than just names?

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006

How do they come up with these stuff and does this mean anything other than just names?
I believe it has something to do with the names of locations in there homestate, and also my homestate, Oregon.

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006

There's a city in Canada called Prescott. I drove through it on my way to Montreal 2 weeks ago. It was hot as hell :)

EDIT: Apparently, there's a Prescott, Arizona as well. Just look HERE

dvdpiddy

Splendid
Feb 3, 2006

They take out a map and point to places around the world.

There's a city in Canada called Prescott. I drove through it on my way to Montreal 2 weeks ago. It was hot as hell :) :lol: How hot 75c? Did it require watercooling?

EDIT: Apparently, there's a Prescott, Arizona as well. Just look HERE

No wonder Intel chose that name. :D

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006

They take out a map and point to places around the world.

There's a city in Canada called Prescott. I drove through it on my way to Montreal 2 weeks ago. It was hot as hell :) :lol: How hot 75c? Did it require watercooling? A mist-fan.

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Conroe is a town in Texas. I bet the Intel people did this just to curry President Bush's favor. Whores. How unsubtle. If I wanted to curry someone's favor, I'd do it in a more subtle fashion. Like steal all their wigs or something. That'd have them on their knees in no time.

BGP_Spook

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Conroe is a town in Texas. I bet the Intel people did this just to curry President Bush's favor. Whores. How unsubtle. If I wanted to curry someone's favor, I'd do it in a more subtle fashion. Like steal all their wigs or something. That'd have them on their knees in no time.

If that isn't OT I don't know what is. That one must have come from way out in left field. (No pun intended.)

As for Baghdad, I would think it would be too unstable to be of use. (Pun intended.)

pat

Expert

Yeah..

chuckshissle, caboose-1, Angry_ducky, dvdpiddy, ShinigamiX, BGP_Spook, JumpingJack,...

how you guy come with these name?

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006

Yeah..

chuckshissle, caboose-1, Angry_ducky, dvdpiddy, ShinigamiX, BGP_Spook, JumpingJack,...

how you guy come with these name? Mine comes from Red Vs. Blue.

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

Yeah..

Mine is an old childhood nickname, not quite as exciting bland as 'Pat'.

Interesting as is mine.

k2000k

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
"Conroe is a town in Texas. I bet the Intel people did this just to curry President Bush's favor. Whores. How unsubtle. If I wanted to curry someone's favor, I'd do it in a more subtle fashion. Like steal all their wigs or something. That'd have them on their knees in no time."

christ grow a brain!

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006

Yeah..

Interesting as is mine. Doing quotes makes your ePenis bigger.

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006

Yeah..

Interesting as is mine. Doing quotes makes your ePenis bigger. I like quotes...

BGP_Spook

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006

Yeah..

Interesting as is mine. Doing quotes makes your ePenis bigger. I like quotes...
So do I.

As for my name, the Spook part is a teenage nickname* and BGP are my initials.

*I have a natural aptitude at sneaking up on people, and I used to stare at people without blinking. To answer your next question, yes, I was a very weird person.

iterations

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2006

When working on a project that has yet to be released, companies typically give the product/project a name. That can be legally dangerous for if they name the product/project before branding it and it has a trademark associated to that code name, then the owner of the trademark can sue and halt all activity on the project.

Various things cannot be trademarked though, geographic locations, generic terms such as animals (giraffe, monkey, or longhorn). Other names that are commonly accepted to describe objects also cannot be trademarked, such has hammer, sledgehammer, clawhammer....

Intel uses geographic locations or geographic names within the vicinity of their design/manufacturing sites (typically within the state or country) to name thier project names (Prescott, AZ Coppermine is a river in OR, Willamette and Deschutes are also rivers in OR), Merom is in Israel, so is Yonah and Dothan, Tejas (which was killed) is due to the fact that the project was located in Austin, TX. Conroe is in Texas.... not sure what Woodcrest refers to.

There you have it, pretty simple really.

Jack
I was just going to post this and you beat me to it, nice. :)