Windows 98 Freezes when not being used.

Hi

I have an old Win98 PC that is now causing problems. If you boot it up and
use it straight away and continue to use it, it will keep working. But walk
away from it and it all freezes and you have to reboot to get it working
again.

Any ideas please
Mick
3 answers Last reply
More about windows freezes used

    Check the power settings in the control panel - make sure all power saving
    settings are set to NEVER. If that doesn't fix the problem you may have a
    hardware fault or failing component that needs to be repaired or replaced.

    "Mick" <solutions@sherwood.e7even.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have an old Win98 PC that is now causing problems. If you boot it up
    > and use it straight away and continue to use it, it will keep working.
    > But walk away from it and it all freezes and you have to reboot to get it
    > working again.
    >
    > Any ideas please
    > Mick

    On top of Harper's suggestion...

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;327551&Product=w98
    USB Mouse May Hang When the Computer Is Idle for a Long Time

    So, if you have "Find Fast", try disabling that.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=199787
    OFF2000: How to Turn Off the Find Fast Indexer
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;158705
    OFF97: How to Disable the Find Fast Indexer
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;135476
    OFF95: Office for Windows 95 Find Fast Indexer Overview

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "Mick" <solutions@sherwood.e7even.com> wrote in message
    | Hi
    |
    | I have an old Win98 PC that is now causing problems. If you boot it
    up and
    | use it straight away and continue to use it, it will keep working.
    But walk
    | away from it and it all freezes and you have to reboot to get it
    working
    | again.
    |
    | Any ideas please
    | Mick

    On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 18:24:06 -0400, "Richard G. Harper"

    >Check the power settings in the control panel - make sure all power saving
    >settings are set to NEVER. If that doesn't fix the problem you may have a
    >hardware fault or failing component that needs to be repaired or replaced.

    Or a bad screensaver, or something else that only runs when the PC is
    "idle", or a combo of bad hardware and such software (e.g. a bad
    sector within one of such software's files)

    Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
    better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!

Windows 98 Microsoft Windows