Windows 98 Freezes when not being used.

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
June 11, 2005 2:45:01 AM

Hi

I have an old Win98 PC that is now causing problems. If you boot it up and
use it straight away and continue to use it, it will keep working. But walk
away from it and it all freezes and you have to reboot to get it working
again.

Any ideas please
Mick

More about : windows freezes

Anonymous
June 11, 2005 2:45:02 AM

Check the power settings in the control panel - make sure all power saving
settings are set to NEVER. If that doesn't fix the problem you may have a
hardware fault or failing component that needs to be repaired or replaced.

"Mick" <solutions@sherwood.e7even.com> wrote in message
news:D 8d1j2$7nn$1@news.e7even.com...
> Hi
>
> I have an old Win98 PC that is now causing problems. If you boot it up
> and use it straight away and continue to use it, it will keep working.
> But walk away from it and it all freezes and you have to reboot to get it
> working again.
>
> Any ideas please
> Mick

Anonymous
June 12, 2005 2:43:05 AM

On top of Harper's suggestion...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;327551&Product=w98
USB Mouse May Hang When the Computer Is Idle for a Long Time

So, if you have "Find Fast", try disabling that.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=199787
OFF2000: How to Turn Off the Find Fast Indexer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;158705
OFF97: How to Disable the Find Fast Indexer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;135476
OFF95: Office for Windows 95 Find Fast Indexer Overview

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Mick" <solutions@sherwood.e7even.com> wrote in message
news:D 8d1j2$7nn$1@news.e7even.com...
| Hi
|
| I have an old Win98 PC that is now causing problems. If you boot it
up and
| use it straight away and continue to use it, it will keep working.
But walk
| away from it and it all freezes and you have to reboot to get it
working
| again.
|
| Any ideas please
| Mick

Anonymous
June 12, 2005 5:03:08 PM

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 18:24:06 -0400, "Richard G. Harper"

>Check the power settings in the control panel - make sure all power saving
>settings are set to NEVER. If that doesn't fix the problem you may have a
>hardware fault or failing component that needs to be repaired or replaced.

Or a bad screensaver, or something else that only runs when the PC is
"idle", or a combo of bad hardware and such software (e.g. a bad
sector within one of such software's files)

Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!