Which cooler to buy?

Yarget

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
Hello everyone!

I'm totally new in this forum and I need a good advice: A couple of days ago I bought a new CPU; AMD Athlon 64 x2 4200+ (my motherboard is Asus A8V). I'm very satisfied with this CPU with one important exception: the cooler (which came with the CPU) is simply making to much noise when my CPU is working on 100%. Therefore I'm looking for a more quiet cooler. I really cannot afford a water-cooler so I'm looking for an effective and quiet air-cooler. Ofcourse it's important that the cooler is good at cooling the CPU down but the most important issue for me is that it does it as quiet as possible. Which cooler would you choose in my situation?

Best regards
Per

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Well I am a big zalman fan. Plus those x2's and opteron duals run quite cool so you can actually get by on stock to be honest with ya. However, if you want performance and your case allows for it cns9500LED zalman. Not sure if it is cns or whatever but you can't miss it. It is the figure 8 style heatpipe cooler with a 92mm fan. Great cooler and even toms agrees! It beat the competition.

Yarget

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
Thanks for your tip Gahleon. Yeah, I've heard of this Zalman 9500 cooler and read a couple of positive reviews. There is however a small problem. My PC is placed in my bedroom and I'm doing a lot of tests during the night. This Zalman cooler comes with a LED-light and I fear that I can't sleep at night because of the blue light. Do you know if there is a way to switch off this light?

Best regards
Per

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
there's an none-led version, but you can always take it out

there are many other great alternatives that will give you a bit more performance such as si-120, big typhoon and scythe ninja

Bluefinger

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
The light is hardly imposing... I have 2 120mm LED fans which are MUCH brighter than the Zalman heatsink fan, and my PSU is also brighter. In fact, my PC illuminates my room a cool blue when all the lights are turned off. I can still sleep through all the noise and light generated, since the pc is also located in my room. I don't think you'll be having problems with that light.

SciPunk

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Notice how nobody but Big Tuna even made the attempt to adress one of the two criteria. The original post said he was looking for effective and quiet... not just effective. He is clearly woried about sleeping conditions in the room where the computer lives.

Sooo anybody want to acually address the question at hand?

samir_nayanajaad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Ill try and adress that queston of quiet and effective too, get this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118115

its a zalman, all copper, big 120mm fan so its quiet, no leds to blind you and it should out perform that stock hsf by a large margin, all for only $33+s&h.

I have a blue orb made by thermaltake that is more the less the same design, but made with aluminum, and blue leds. It works wonders on my cpu. However my cpu is only a 3500+ this is why I say go with all copper on yours bc its a x2 and makes more heat.

cheers