  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
June 11, 2005 1:36:16 AM

A little over a year ago I got a new pc and had the hard drive from my old
Windows 98 pc cloned to the new one.

Sometimes when I click on the MS-DOS prompt icon the screen freezes, and the
only way I can get out of it is to repeatedly use CONTROL-ALT-DELETE, which
eventually causes the computer to restart.

It also sometimes freezes when I click on the shortcut for my only DOS
program, which is Peachtree Complete III.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks.

John B.
--
The above NOSPAM e-mail address is for spam avoidance purposes.
Please reply to the newsgroup or to
jw10413 at earthlink.net

More about : freeze clicking dos shortcut

Anonymous
June 11, 2005 3:52:13 AM

See if this applies to your situation (posted in another thread today, by MS MVP
Brian Sesko):

<quote>
......................see if the machine is using a Creative Sound adapter. If it is,
it
may be that it is loading the DOS sound emulator which I have found to cause the
symptoms you experience. If it is, disable the emulator in Device Manager and
see if it cures the problem.

Right click MyComputer
Click Properties > Device Manager tab
Click the + next to Creative Miscellaneous Devices
Double click Creative SB16 Emulation to open its properties
Under the General tab put a check next to Disable In This Hardware Profile
Click Ok > Ok

Creative's sound emulator is only needed if you use sound in DOS, and as I
mentioned it has caused issues with restarting in DOS.
</quote>
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"jw" <jw@NOSPAM.net> wrote in message news:BECFB850.50C41%jw@NOSPAM.net...
> A little over a year ago I got a new pc and had the hard drive from my old
> Windows 98 pc cloned to the new one.
>
> Sometimes when I click on the MS-DOS prompt icon the screen freezes, and the
> only way I can get out of it is to repeatedly use CONTROL-ALT-DELETE, which
> eventually causes the computer to restart.
>
> It also sometimes freezes when I click on the shortcut for my only DOS
> program, which is Peachtree Complete III.
>
> Any idea what could be causing this?
>
> Thanks.
>
> John B.
> --
> The above NOSPAM e-mail address is for spam avoidance purposes.
> Please reply to the newsgroup or to
> jw10413 at earthlink.net

June 12, 2005 12:18:33 PM

Thanks to glee and PCR for the replies. I will check them out.

John B.

jw10413 at earthlink.net
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 8:31:45 PM