--
The above NOSPAM e-mail address is for spam avoidance purposes.
Please reply to the newsgroup or to
jw10413 at earthlink.net
3 answers Last reply
More about freeze clicking shortcut

    See if this applies to your situation (posted in another thread today, by MS MVP
    Brian Sesko):

    <quote>
    ......................see if the machine is using a Creative Sound adapter. If it is,
    it
    may be that it is loading the DOS sound emulator which I have found to cause the
    symptoms you experience. If it is, disable the emulator in Device Manager and
    see if it cures the problem.

    Right click MyComputer
    Click Properties > Device Manager tab
    Click the + next to Creative Miscellaneous Devices
    Double click Creative SB16 Emulation to open its properties
    Under the General tab put a check next to Disable In This Hardware Profile
    Click Ok > Ok

    Creative's sound emulator is only needed if you use sound in DOS, and as I
    mentioned it has caused issues with restarting in DOS.
    </quote>
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "jw" <jw@NOSPAM.net> wrote in message news:BECFB850.50C41%jw@NOSPAM.net...
    > A little over a year ago I got a new pc and had the hard drive from my old
    > Windows 98 pc cloned to the new one.
    >
    > Sometimes when I click on the MS-DOS prompt icon the screen freezes, and the
    > only way I can get out of it is to repeatedly use CONTROL-ALT-DELETE, which
    > eventually causes the computer to restart.
    >
    > It also sometimes freezes when I click on the shortcut for my only DOS
    > program, which is Peachtree Complete III.
    >
    > Any idea what could be causing this?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > John B.
    > --
    > The above NOSPAM e-mail address is for spam avoidance purposes.
    > Please reply to the newsgroup or to
    > jw10413 at earthlink.net

    Thanks to glee and PCR for the replies. I will check them out.

    John B.

    jw10413 at earthlink.net

    You are welcome. Keep us informed.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    | Thanks to glee and PCR for the replies. I will check them out.
    |
    | John B.
    |
    | --
    | The above NOSPAM e-mail address is for spam avoidance purposes.
    | Please reply to the newsgroup or to
    | jw10413 at earthlink.net

MS-DOS Windows