Windows 98 unable to load

The computer boots normally, goes through the post easily, AVI (7.0)
initializes and does it's boot scan reporting no viruses found in the boot
process. Windows 98 opening screen appears and then instead opening up the
desktop as it does usually, the following message appears:

"comctl32.dll file is linked to missing export Kernel32.DLL: Section."

Upon clicking "ok" you move to another windowopens with the following message:

"Explorer.exe unable to load.
You must reinstall Windows."

The only recent change I made to that computer was reinstalling MSN
Messenger. The version of Messenger that installed from MSN's site is 7.

Any suggestions out there?

Try extracting a fresh copy of "COMCTL32.DLL" from your Windows
98 CD to the "c:\windows\system" directory.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q129605/#7

Ben

"Jany Doe" <JanyDoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C5C93F70-8248-48A7-B7E4-FE8DB2501CBA@microsoft.com...
> The computer boots normally, goes through the post easily, AVI (7.0)
> initializes and does it's boot scan reporting no viruses found in the boot
> process. Windows 98 opening screen appears and then instead opening up the
> desktop as it does usually, the following message appears:
>
> "comctl32.dll file is linked to missing export Kernel32.DLL: Section."
>
> Upon clicking "ok" you move to another windowopens with the following message:
>
> "Explorer.exe unable to load.
> You must reinstall Windows."
>
> The only recent change I made to that computer was reinstalling MSN
> Messenger. The version of Messenger that installed from MSN's site is 7.
>
> Any suggestions out there?

There is something 'fishy' about msn lately.
Computers are not only used by the user,
but also.............
May I suggest using something like ICQ.

...Rex..

Rex wrote:
> There is something 'fishy' about msn lately.
> Computers are not only used by the user,
> but also.............

There is a whole new class of viruses out there, designed specifically
for MSN. In short MSN isn't particulary safe to use unless you have
anti-virus software installed that can detect and remove MSN viruses
(AntiVir is one).

> May I suggest using something like ICQ.

Unfortunately ICQ (even the Lite version) will take a quick CRASH after
install on most Windows 98 machines. It Doesn't Work.

YIM, atho a gateway for trojans and SPAM, has been the only messenger I
managed to make work with a webcam. I don't recomend it but it IS the
only thing that works for me.

--
Model: INFJ
Primary function: Coprocessor