In Safe Mode loading particular drivers

boone

I have a PC I'm working on fixing in "Safe Mode" My question is:

If I need to get a piece of hardware working (like a CD-Rom drive or Zip
Drive) what do I have to do? How? They are not currently availible as the
driers were not loaded.

Thanks.

- Andrew

"Boone" <Boone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I have a PC I'm working on fixing in "Safe Mode" My question is:
> If I need to get a piece of hardware working (like a CD-Rom drive or Zip
> Drive) what do I have to do? How? They are not currently availible as the
> driers were not loaded.

1. Safe Mode is designed to help repairs by loading
the Win98 OS without (most) drivers. The idea is that
you should first make whatever system-wide repairs
are needed, then boot regular Windows with the CD
drives etc. enabled.
2. Search the MS Knowledge Base for their
suggested technique to add CD drives to Safe Mode.
(It does not work for every PC.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

boone

Thank you Don for your suggestion.

I am aware of Safe Mode's goal. Unfortunately I am working on a PC the might
need to have it's OS reinstalled and would need to try and run a few
utilities from disk (and then backup some critical data to if it doesn't
work).

I'll check the KB. Thanks.
- ANdrew

"Don Phillipson" wrote:

> "Boone" <Boone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> > I have a PC I'm working on fixing in "Safe Mode" My question is:
> > If I need to get a piece of hardware working (like a CD-Rom drive or Zip
> > Drive) what do I have to do? How? They are not currently availible as the
> > driers were not loaded.
>
> 1. Safe Mode is designed to help repairs by loading
> the Win98 OS without (most) drivers. The idea is that
> you should first make whatever system-wide repairs
> are needed, then boot regular Windows with the CD
> drives etc. enabled.
> 2. Search the MS Knowledge Base for their
> suggested technique to add CD drives to Safe Mode.
> (It does not work for every PC.)
>
> --
> Don Phillipson
> Carlsbad Springs
> (Ottawa, Canada)

To start a Windows 98 computer in Safe mode with CD drivers, go to
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and create a Windows 95
version B boot disk. This uses DOS version 7, which should start
Windows 98. Delete the "a:\msdos.sys" file, then open Notepad,
copy and paste the following text into it and save it to the boot disk
as "a:\msdos.sys". Start the computer with the boot disk, type
"win /d:m" and press "Enter". Please note that the CD drive
may be assigned drive letter R:. Also, to access Zip drives, you
will probably have to load DOS drivers for it before entering
Safe mode.

[Paths]
WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
HostWinBootDrv=C
[Options]
BootGUI=0
;end

Ben

"Boone" <Boone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E3503547-58BD-44BE-BDAB-2916AC59EF60@microsoft.com...
> I have a PC I'm working on fixing in "Safe Mode" My question is:
>
> If I need to get a piece of hardware working (like a CD-Rom drive or Zip
> Drive) what do I have to do? How? They are not currently availible as the
> driers were not loaded.
>
> Thanks.
>
> - Andrew

boone

Ben,

Thanks. I'll check this out.

- Andrew

Boone wrote:
> I have a PC I'm working on fixing in "Safe Mode" My question is:
>
> If I need to get a piece of hardware working (like a CD-Rom drive or Zip
> Drive) what do I have to do? How? They are not currently availible as the
> driers were not loaded.

It might be safe to use DOS drivers (aka in config.sys) when windows
starts in Safe mode. Try it if it works (aka no very weird errors or
sudden hangs), windows should recogtnize all things DOS just fine in
Safe mode.

Good luck.

--
Model: INFJ