Startup tab

I have double entries in the startup tab of msconfig.

How do I get rid of them?

I guess I unticked them but the program replaced them again. One example is
Ms Office Initialization.

Thank you
6 answers Last reply
More about startup

    Click Start>Run, type MSINFO32 and click OK.
    In the left pane of the System Information window, click the + sign to expand the
    "Software Environment" category.
    In the left pane, click to select "Startup Programs"....they will appear in a list
    on the right.
    Press Ctrl-A on the keyboard, which will highlight everything in the list on the
    right.
    Press Ctrl-C to copy the list to the 'clipboard'.
    Open a reply to this message, click in the body of the message and press Ctrl-V to
    paste the list from the clipboard to the message, and post back to this thread.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Jorge" <open@closed.org> wrote in message
    > I have double entries in the startup tab of msconfig.
    >
    > How do I get rid of them?
    >
    > I guess I unticked them but the program replaced them again. One example is
    > Ms Office Initialization.
    >
    > Thank you

    Thanks Glee, here it goes, but it does not seem to include everything I have
    in the startup tab, as many are deselected there.

    Microsoft Office Startup group and LoadPowerProfile Regustry have double
    entries, one of which is deselected.

    Microsoft Office Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
    Office\Office\OSA9.EXE" -b -l
    POP Peeper Registry (Per-User Run) "C:\PROGRAM FILES\POP
    PEEPER\POPPEEPER.EXE" -min
    ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    AudioHQ Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program
    Files\Creative\SBLive\AudioHQ\AHQTB.EXE
    CriticalUpdate Registry (Machine Run)
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\wucrtupd.exe -startup
    ICSDCLT Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\rundll32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\icsdclt.dll,ICSClient
    StillImageMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
    VSOCheckTask Registry (Machine Run)
    "C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCMNHDLR.EXE" /checktask
    VirusScan Online Registry (Machine Run)
    "C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\mcvsshld.exe"
    MCAgentExe Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\mcagent.exe
    MCUpdateExe Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\MCUPDATE.EXE
    Matrox Powerdesk Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PDesk\PDesk.exe
    /Autolaunch
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe
    powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    SSDPSRV Registry (Machine Service) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ssdpsrv.exe
    PersFw Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Kerio\Personal
    Firewall\persfw.exe" /hide
    McVsRte Registry (Machine Service) C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\mcvsrte.exe
    /embedding
    KB891711 Registry (Machine Service) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE

    > Click Start>Run, type MSINFO32 and click OK.
    > In the left pane of the System Information window, click the + sign to
    expand the
    > "Software Environment" category.
    > In the left pane, click to select "Startup Programs"....they will appear
    in a list
    > on the right.
    > Press Ctrl-A on the keyboard, which will highlight everything in the list
    on the
    > right.
    > Press Ctrl-C to copy the list to the 'clipboard'.
    > Open a reply to this message, click in the body of the message and press
    Ctrl-V to
    > paste the list from the clipboard to the message, and post back to this
    thread.
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    >

    > "Jorge" <open@closed.org> wrote in message
    > > I have double entries in the startup tab of msconfig.
    > >
    > > How do I get rid of them?
    > >
    > > I guess I unticked them but the program replaced them again. One
    example is
    > > Ms Office Initialization.
    > >
    > > Thank you

    In order for the items to be listed using the method I gave you, they must be
    enabled in msconfig first. You can enable every item on the startup tab by checking
    all the unchecked boxes and clicking OK, BUT do NOT reboot when prompted. Run the
    msinfo32 procedure I described, then you can go back and uncheck the items that you
    had originally disabled. Post that longer list if you wish.

    LoadPowerProfile is supposed to have a double entry, as are some anti-virus app's
    entries. Your other double entries, such as Office Startup, probably occurred by
    disabling the item in msconfig, and then getting it enabled again through the
    program itself. With Office Startup, you can more easily disable it by deleting the
    shortcut to it in the Start Menu> Programs> StartUp folder. Then go to msconfig and
    enable the duplicate entry, but don't reboot, and go back and delete *that* shortcut
    from the Start Menu> Programs> StartUp folder.

    See MS MVP Ron Badour's reply here:
    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion/browse_thread/thread/9ca7b528c4110691/62c54b2a8633f58d?q=double+entries+in+msconfig-startup&rnum=9&hl=en#62c54b2a8633f58d

    The items in the Startup list in msconfig are read from the Windows startup
    locations in the Registry, the win.ini and system.ini files, and the StartUp
    folders. They can be disabled (or also removed entirely) by removing them from
    there, but a much easier tool for this than msconfig, is a third party freeware such
    as Startup Manager or Startup Control Panel, both available here:
    http://home.ptd.net/~don5408/toolbox/startupcpl/

    You first enable ALL the startup items in msconfig, but do not reboot. Then, start
    the startup freeware manager you chose, and disable those you want temporarily
    disabled, and delete those items that you do not want.

    See here for more:

    Clean up your startup group:
    http://www.rickrogers.org/clean.htm

    Startup Programs Loading:
    http://aumha.org/a/loads.htm

    The locations used to load programs at Startup are:

    -the load= and run= lines in the win.ini
    -the [386Enh] section of the system.ini
    -C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp
    -C:\Windows\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

    -the registry keys:
    KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServicesOnce
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\Setup
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

    An item you disable with msconfig will be moved....for example, an entry in the Run
    key will be moved to the Run- key (Run minus). msconfig shows the items in those
    disabled locations as being "unchecked". msinfo32 simply does not see them.
    --

> [...]
    > in a list
    > > on the right.
    > > Press Ctrl-A on the keyboard, which will highlight everything in the list
    > on the
    > > right.
    > > Press Ctrl-C to copy the list to the 'clipboard'.
    > > Open a reply to this message, click in the body of the message and press
    > Ctrl-V to
    > > paste the list from the clipboard to the message, and post back to this
    > thread.
    > > --
    > > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.mspx
    > >

    > > "Jorge" <open@closed.org> wrote in message
    > > > I have double entries in the startup tab of msconfig.
    > > >
    > > > How do I get rid of them?
    > > >
    > > > I guess I unticked them but the program replaced them again. One

    If you have an item in "MSConfig, Startup tab" duplicated, but one is
    checked & the other(s) are not, check them all & click "Apply, OK". It
    will ask that you reboot. Answer "No". You will be left with just one,
    if they were true duplicates. "Then you should either uninstall the
    programs you don't want loaded or use their setup/config programs to
    disable the parts you don't want loaded", says Richard G. Harper (MVP
    MPS-D). But if it doesn't work, or you have an unchecked one without a
    duplicate, then...

    MSConfig keeps it in Startup, just in case you want to check it again.
    It has not been loaded to run, as Ctrl-Alt-Del shows. It has been moved
    to a Minus (-) Key in the Registry. To remove it from the Registry, you
    may navigate to the Key, and delete the entry under it. That will also
    remove it from MSConfig Startup, where you will no longer be able to
    check it. It's probably under one of these Keys:

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run-
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    -
    ^... That minus sign wrapped away from "RunServices-".

    Also here:
    "C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\Disabled Startup Items"
    "START, Run, Win.ini". Delete any 'norun' entries under the [Windows]
    section.

    You would navigate to each key, by clicking the plus signs in the left
    pane. When you see "Run-", click it and look in the right pane, for what
    looks like the one your looking for. R-Clk it in the right pane and
    select "delete". However, first: "Registry menu, Export Registry File".
    This will create a .reg file of that Minus Key, which you may run (by
    clicking) to undo the delete you are about to do. All of that can more
    easily be done with
    http://www.pcmag.com/ ' RegEdit+, which has a customizable "Favorites"
    list, which includes those Minus Keys. It also has automatic "undo".
    Registry Detective is another worthy program freely downloadable there.
    StartupCop may really be what you need, also there.

    Watch out, keep the LoadPowerProfiles, and, I guess, any virus scanner
    duplicates.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "Jorge" <open@closed.org> wrote in message
    | I have double entries in the startup tab of msconfig.
    |
    | How do I get rid of them?
    |
    | I guess I unticked them but the program replaced them again. One
    example is
    | Ms Office Initialization.
    |
    | Thank you

    "Jorge" <open@closed.org> wrote in message
    > I have double entries in the startup tab of msconfig.
    >
    > How do I get rid of them?
    >
    > I guess I unticked them but the program replaced them again. One
    example is
    > Ms Office Initialization.
    >
    > Thank you

    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q=double+entries+in+msconfig-startup&hl=en

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies.

    You can download the free MSConfig Cleanup from
    http://www.get-in-control.com/msconfig-cleanup/

    Take a look at the full fledged starup manager InControl at the same
    site.

Microsoft Msconfig Office Windows