W98 Start-up error Message

I'm getting the following error message at start-up;

"Error in C:\windows\system\shellext\target.dll. Missing entry CDPlayNotify"

I'd be grateful if anyone can advise how to fix this.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Target.dll is not part of windows98 but part of the MS PowerToys for
Win95
Perhaps uninstall or reinstall Target? (I suggest uninstall as I found
it did not work well in Win98)
At the same time you might also look at the PowerToy APlayExt as that
is where "CDPlayNotify" comes from. (see Aplayext.inf)
See this MSKB article
Error in C:\Windows\System\ShellExt\Tar­get.dll...
http://support.microsoft.com/s­upport/kb/articles/q198/3/21.a­sp

....Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Chris Sperring"
<chris@csperring.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>I'm getting the following error message at start-up;
>
>"Error in C:\windows\system\shellext\target.dll. Missing entry CDPlayNotify"
>
>I'd be grateful if anyone can advise how to fix this.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Chris

Alan,

Thanks for this advice. When you say "..uninstall target.." do you mean
delete target.dll? Powertoys is not showing up as an installed programme, so
I can't 'uninstall'! Finally, just to notify you that the link you
referenced can't be found by IE.

Chris
"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
> Target.dll is not part of windows98 but part of the MS PowerToys for
> Win95
> Perhaps uninstall or reinstall Target? (I suggest uninstall as I found
> it did not work well in Win98)
> At the same time you might also look at the PowerToy APlayExt as that
> is where "CDPlayNotify" comes from. (see Aplayext.inf)
> See this MSKB article
> Error in C:\Windows\System\ShellExt\Tar­get.dll...
> http://support.microsoft.com/s­upport/kb/articles/q198/3/21.a­sp
>

> ...Alan
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>

> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Chris Sperring"
> <chris@csperring.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>I'm getting the following error message at start-up;
>>
>>"Error in C:\windows\system\shellext\target.dll. Missing entry
>>CDPlayNotify"
>>
>>I'd be grateful if anyone can advise how to fix this.
>>
>>Thanks in advance.
>>
>>Chris

No, when I say "uninstall target" that is what I meant.
According to Target.inf from the Powertoys, it should show in
Add/Remove as "Target Context Menu (Remove Only)"
You need Target.inf to uninstall, so have a look at it with Notepad.

A glitch in the last post. Try this:
See this MSKB article
Error in C:\Windows\System\ShellExt\Target.dll...
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q198/3/21.asp

....Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Chris Sperring"
<chris@csperring.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>Alan,
>
>Thanks for this advice. When you say "..uninstall target.." do you mean
>delete target.dll? Powertoys is not showing up as an installed programme, so
>I can't 'uninstall'! Finally, just to notify you that the link you
>referenced can't be found by IE.
>
>Chris
>"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
>> Target.dll is not part of windows98 but part of the MS PowerToys for
>> Win95
>> Perhaps uninstall or reinstall Target? (I suggest uninstall as I found
>> it did not work well in Win98)
>> At the same time you might also look at the PowerToy APlayExt as that
>> is where "CDPlayNotify" comes from. (see Aplayext.inf)
>> See this MSKB article
>> Error in C:\Windows\System\ShellExt\Tar­get.dll...
>> http://support.microsoft.com/s­upport/kb/articles/q198/3/21.a­sp
>>

>> ...Alan
>> --
>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>>

>> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Chris Sperring"
>> <chris@csperring.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>I'm getting the following error message at start-up;
>>>
>>>"Error in C:\windows\system\shellext\target.dll. Missing entry
>>>CDPlayNotify"
>>>
>>>I'd be grateful if anyone can advise how to fix this.
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>>Chris

Alan,

I uninstalled Target as suggested. It no longer appears in the "add\remove"
list, but I still get the same error message at start-up. Can you offer any
additional advice.

Thanks,

> No, when I say "uninstall target" that is what I meant.
> According to Target.inf from the Powertoys, it should show in
> Add/Remove as "Target Context Menu (Remove Only)"
> You need Target.inf to uninstall, so have a look at it with Notepad.
>
> A glitch in the last post. Try this:
> See this MSKB article
> Error in C:\Windows\System\ShellExt\Target.dll...
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q198/3/21.asp
>

> ...Alan
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>

> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Chris Sperring"
> <chris@csperring.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Alan,
>>
>>Thanks for this advice. When you say "..uninstall target.." do you mean
>>delete target.dll? Powertoys is not showing up as an installed programme,
>>so
>>I can't 'uninstall'! Finally, just to notify you that the link you
>>referenced can't be found by IE.
>>
>>Chris
>>"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
>>> Target.dll is not part of windows98 but part of the MS PowerToys for
>>> Win95
>>> Perhaps uninstall or reinstall Target? (I suggest uninstall as I found
>>> it did not work well in Win98)
>>> At the same time you might also look at the PowerToy APlayExt as that
>>> is where "CDPlayNotify" comes from. (see Aplayext.inf)
>>> See this MSKB article
>>> Error in C:\Windows\System\ShellExt\Tar­get.dll...
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/s­upport/kb/articles/q198/3/21.a­sp
>>>

>>> ...Alan
>>> --
>>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems

Alan,

I've also uninstalled FlexiCD and TweakUI, message still remains. Is
AutoPlay Extender part of PowerToys and if so should I remove that also?

Chris
"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
> No, when I say "uninstall target" that is what I meant.
> According to Target.inf from the Powertoys, it should show in
> Add/Remove as "Target Context Menu (Remove Only)"
> You need Target.inf to uninstall, so have a look at it with Notepad.
>
> A glitch in the last post. Try this:
> See this MSKB article
> Error in C:\Windows\System\ShellExt\Target.dll...
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q198/3/21.asp
>

> ...Alan
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>

> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Chris Sperring"
> <chris@csperring.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Alan,
>>
>>Thanks for this advice. When you say "..uninstall target.." do you mean
>>delete target.dll? Powertoys is not showing up as an installed programme,
>>so
>>I can't 'uninstall'! Finally, just to notify you that the link you
>>referenced can't be found by IE.
>>
>>Chris
>>"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
>>> Target.dll is not part of windows98 but part of the MS PowerToys for
>>> Win95
>>> Perhaps uninstall or reinstall Target? (I suggest uninstall as I found
>>> it did not work well in Win98)
>>> At the same time you might also look at the PowerToy APlayExt as that
>>> is where "CDPlayNotify" comes from. (see Aplayext.inf)
>>> See this MSKB article
>>> Error in C:\Windows\System\ShellExt\Tar­get.dll...
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/s­upport/kb/articles/q198/3/21.a­sp
>>>

>>> ...Alan
>>> --
>>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems

Chris,

I can only assume you missed something in my last response.
Yes, AutoPlay Extender is part of PowerToys as is clear in the URL I
suggested you read.
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q198/3/21.asp

I made no suggestion that you should uninstall TweakUI.
FlexiCD is a bit of a non event anyway, so you won't miss that.

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Chris Sperring"
<chris@csperring.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>Alan,
>
>I've also uninstalled FlexiCD and TweakUI, message still remains. Is
>AutoPlay Extender part of PowerToys and if so should I remove that also?
>
>Chris
>"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
>> No, when I say "uninstall target" that is what I meant.
>> According to Target.inf from the Powertoys, it should show in
>> Add/Remove as "Target Context Menu (Remove Only)"
>> You need Target.inf to uninstall, so have a look at it with Notepad.
>>
>> A glitch in the last post. Try this:
>> See this MSKB article
>> Error in C:\Windows\System\ShellExt\Target.dll...
>> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q198/3/21.asp
>>

>> ...Alan
>> --
>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>>

>> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Chris Sperring"
>> <chris@csperring.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>Alan,
>>>
>>>Thanks for this advice. When you say "..uninstall target.." do you mean
>>>delete target.dll? Powertoys is not showing up as an installed programme,
>>>so
>>>I can't 'uninstall'! Finally, just to notify you that the link you
>>>referenced can't be found by IE.
>>>
>>>Chris
>>>"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message

Alan,

I can't uninstall Autoplay Extender, I get the following message;

"Error loading c:\windows\system\ShellExt\target.dll The system cannot find
the file specified"

> Chris,
>
> I can only assume you missed something in my last response.
> Yes, AutoPlay Extender is part of PowerToys as is clear in the URL I
> suggested you read.
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q198/3/21.asp
>
> I made no suggestion that you should uninstall TweakUI.
> FlexiCD is a bit of a non event anyway, so you won't miss that.
>

> ...Alan
>
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>
> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Chris Sperring"
> <chris@csperring.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Alan,
>>
>>I've also uninstalled FlexiCD and TweakUI, message still remains. Is
>>AutoPlay Extender part of PowerToys and if so should I remove that also?
>>
>>Chris
>>"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
>>> No, when I say "uninstall target" that is what I meant.
>>> According to Target.inf from the Powertoys, it should show in
>>> Add/Remove as "Target Context Menu (Remove Only)"
>>> You need Target.inf to uninstall, so have a look at it with Notepad.
>>>
>>> A glitch in the last post. Try this:
>>> See this MSKB article
>>> Error in C:\Windows\System\ShellExt\Target.dll...
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q198/3/21.asp
>>>

>>> ...Alan
>>> --
>>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems

Chris,

I don't know what has gone wrong with your installations.
There is no mention of Target.dll in the install of Autoplay Extender
(Aplayext.inf) as I am sure you are aware. Target.dll only has a
reference in Target.inf
What is the uninstall string for Autoplay Extender in the Registry?
Look in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Chris Sperring"
<chris@csperring.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>Alan,
>
>I can't uninstall Autoplay Extender, I get the following message;
>
>"Error loading c:\windows\system\ShellExt\target.dll The system cannot find
>the file specified"
>
>Chris
>"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
>> Chris,
>>
>> I can only assume you missed something in my last response.
>> Yes, AutoPlay Extender is part of PowerToys as is clear in the URL I
>> suggested you read.
>> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q198/3/21.asp
>>
>> I made no suggestion that you should uninstall TweakUI.
>> FlexiCD is a bit of a non event anyway, so you won't miss that.
>>

>> ...Alan
>>
>> --
>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>>
>> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Chris Sperring"
>> <chris@csperring.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>Alan,
>>>
>>>I've also uninstalled FlexiCD and TweakUI, message still remains. Is
>>>AutoPlay Extender part of PowerToys and if so should I remove that also?
>>>
>>>Chris
>>>"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message

Alan,

Under CDautoplayext I have;

Default '"'
Displayname "AutoPlay Extender"
Uninstallstring "rundll32.exe c:\windows\system\ShellExt\target.dll,..

The last line is as it appears and I can't see any more detail after the
..... I'm using Regedit to view.

> Chris,
>
> I don't know what has gone wrong with your installations.
> There is no mention of Target.dll in the install of Autoplay Extender
> (Aplayext.inf) as I am sure you are aware. Target.dll only has a
> reference in Target.inf
> What is the uninstall string for Autoplay Extender in the Registry?
> Look in
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
>
> ...Alan
>
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>

> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Chris Sperring"
> <chris@csperring.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Alan,
>>
>>I can't uninstall Autoplay Extender, I get the following message;
>>
>>"Error loading c:\windows\system\ShellExt\target.dll The system cannot
>>find
>>the file specified"
>>
>>Chris
>>"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
>>> Chris,
>>>
>>> I can only assume you missed something in my last response.
>>> Yes, AutoPlay Extender is part of PowerToys as is clear in the URL I
>>> suggested you read.
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q198/3/21.asp
>>>
>>> I made no suggestion that you should uninstall TweakUI.
>>> FlexiCD is a bit of a non event anyway, so you won't miss that.
>>>

>>> ...Alan
>>>
>>> --
>>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>>> http://dts-l.org/index.html

Chris,

You appear to have a mix up.
You can see that Aplayext.inf does not install that line and I see no
Powertoy .inf file that has such an uninstall string.
(Sorry, I don't have those Powertoys installed and can only go on the
..inf files)
Do your .inf files also conflict with what you see in Regedit?

FWIW, there is unlikely to be anything after the "target.dll" but if
there is it will show in an export (though why you can't see it in
Regedit has me beat)

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Chris Sperring"
<chris@csperring.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>Alan,
>
>Under CDautoplayext I have;
>
>Default '"'
>Displayname "AutoPlay Extender"
>Uninstallstring "rundll32.exe c:\windows\system\ShellExt\target.dll,..
>
>The last line is as it appears and I can't see any more detail after the
>.... I'm using Regedit to view.
>
>Chris
>"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
>> Chris,
>>
>> I don't know what has gone wrong with your installations.
>> There is no mention of Target.dll in the install of Autoplay Extender
>> (Aplayext.inf) as I am sure you are aware. Target.dll only has a
>> reference in Target.inf
>> What is the uninstall string for Autoplay Extender in the Registry?
>> Look in
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
>>
>> ...Alan
>>
>> --
>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>>

>> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Chris Sperring"
>> <chris@csperring.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>Alan,
>>>
>>>I can't uninstall Autoplay Extender, I get the following message;
>>>
>>>"Error loading c:\windows\system\ShellExt\target.dll The system cannot
>>>find
>>>the file specified"
>>>
>>>Chris
>>>"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message

Alan,

I'm not conversant with .inf files at all. Please can you advise how I might
go about this.

> Chris,
>
> You appear to have a mix up.
> You can see that Aplayext.inf does not install that line and I see no
> Powertoy .inf file that has such an uninstall string.
> (Sorry, I don't have those Powertoys installed and can only go on the
> .inf files)
> Do your .inf files also conflict with what you see in Regedit?
>
> FWIW, there is unlikely to be anything after the "target.dll" but if
> there is it will show in an export (though why you can't see it in
> Regedit has me beat)
>
> ...Alan
>
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>
> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Chris Sperring"
> <chris@csperring.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Alan,
>>
>>Under CDautoplayext I have;
>>
>>Default '"'
>>Displayname "AutoPlay Extender"
>>Uninstallstring "rundll32.exe c:\windows\system\ShellExt\target.dll,..
>>
>>The last line is as it appears and I can't see any more detail after the
>>.... I'm using Regedit to view.
>>
>>Chris
>>"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
>>> Chris,
>>>
>>> I don't know what has gone wrong with your installations.
>>> There is no mention of Target.dll in the install of Autoplay Extender
>>> (Aplayext.inf) as I am sure you are aware. Target.dll only has a
>>> reference in Target.inf
>>> What is the uninstall string for Autoplay Extender in the Registry?
>>> Look in
>>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
>>>
>>> ...Alan
>>>
>>> --
>>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>>> http://dts-l.org/index.html

Alan,

When I export the Registry entry I see the following;

Uninstallstring "rundll32.exe c:\windows\system\ShellExt\target.dll,
Uninstall C:\\windows\\system\\shellext\\APlayExt.inf"

I can see the APlayExt.inf file in the directory, but there is no target.dll
in the specified directory.

I'm not sure if this answers the question or not!

Chris

"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
> Chris,
>
> You appear to have a mix up.
> You can see that Aplayext.inf does not install that line and I see no
> Powertoy .inf file that has such an uninstall string.
> (Sorry, I don't have those Powertoys installed and can only go on the
> .inf files)
> Do your .inf files also conflict with what you see in Regedit?
>
> FWIW, there is unlikely to be anything after the "target.dll" but if
> there is it will show in an export (though why you can't see it in
> Regedit has me beat)
>
> ...Alan
>
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>
> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Chris Sperring"
> <chris@csperring.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>Alan,
>>
>>Under CDautoplayext I have;
>>
>>Default '"'
>>Displayname "AutoPlay Extender"
>>Uninstallstring "rundll32.exe c:\windows\system\ShellExt\target.dll,..
>>
>>The last line is as it appears and I can't see any more detail after the
>>.... I'm using Regedit to view.
>>
>>Chris
>>"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
>>> Chris,
>>>
>>> I don't know what has gone wrong with your installations.
>>> There is no mention of Target.dll in the install of Autoplay Extender
>>> (Aplayext.inf) as I am sure you are aware. Target.dll only has a
>>> reference in Target.inf
>>> What is the uninstall string for Autoplay Extender in the Registry?
>>> Look in
>>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
>>>
>>> ...Alan
>>>
>>> --
>>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>>> http://dts-l.org/index.html

Chris,

I can only suggest you read them in Notepad and try and follow them.

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Chris Sperring"
<chris@csperring.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>Alan,
>
>I'm not conversant with .inf files at all. Please can you advise how I might
>go about this.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Chris
>"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
>> Chris,
>>
>> You appear to have a mix up.
>> You can see that Aplayext.inf does not install that line and I see no
>> Powertoy .inf file that has such an uninstall string.
>> (Sorry, I don't have those Powertoys installed and can only go on the
>> .inf files)
>> Do your .inf files also conflict with what you see in Regedit?
>>
>> FWIW, there is unlikely to be anything after the "target.dll" but if
>> there is it will show in an export (though why you can't see it in
>> Regedit has me beat)
>>
>> ...Alan
>>
>> --
>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>>
>> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Chris Sperring"
>> <chris@csperring.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>Alan,
>>>
>>>Under CDautoplayext I have;
>>>
>>>Default '"'
>>>Displayname "AutoPlay Extender"
>>>Uninstallstring "rundll32.exe c:\windows\system\ShellExt\target.dll,..
>>>
>>>The last line is as it appears and I can't see any more detail after the
>>>.... I'm using Regedit to view.
>>>
>>>Chris
>>>"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message

Ah! That is interesting!
If I look at AplayExt.inf with Notepad, I don't see that
UninstallString. I see "APlayExt.dll" instead of "target.dll"

You have to read between the lines a little in the .inf file but have
a look at the variable "ThisDll" that appears in the UninstallString
and in the section [Strings]
I suspect it is a matter of modifying the Registry key (after
exporting it for safety) or reinstalling Aplayext.inf if you are
satisfied it is correct.
I would like you to look at Aplayext.inf and confirm that you see the
same. You don't have to fully understand .inf files (I don't) but I
think you may get the idea of what they do.

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Chris Sperring"
<chris@csperring.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>Alan,
>
>When I export the Registry entry I see the following;
>
>Uninstallstring "rundll32.exe c:\windows\system\ShellExt\target.dll,
>Uninstall C:\\windows\\system\\shellext\\APlayExt.inf"
>
>I can see the APlayExt.inf file in the directory, but there is no target.dll
>in the specified directory.
>
>I'm not sure if this answers the question or not!
>
>Chris
>
>"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message
>> Chris,
>>
>> You appear to have a mix up.
>> You can see that Aplayext.inf does not install that line and I see no
>> Powertoy .inf file that has such an uninstall string.
>> (Sorry, I don't have those Powertoys installed and can only go on the
>> .inf files)
>> Do your .inf files also conflict with what you see in Regedit?
>>
>> FWIW, there is unlikely to be anything after the "target.dll" but if
>> there is it will show in an export (though why you can't see it in
>> Regedit has me beat)
>>
>> ...Alan
>>
>> --
>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>>
>> In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Chris Sperring"
>> <chris@csperring.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>Alan,
>>>
>>>Under CDautoplayext I have;
>>>
>>>Default '"'
>>>Displayname "AutoPlay Extender"
>>>Uninstallstring "rundll32.exe c:\windows\system\ShellExt\target.dll,..
>>>
>>>The last line is as it appears and I can't see any more detail after the
>>>.... I'm using Regedit to view.
>>>
>>>Chris
>>>"Alan Edwards" <edwards@southcom.com.au> wrote in message

Alan,

I switched the PC on tonight and the error message no longer comes up. Don't
know why this has happened, but many thanks for your help.

Regards,