Problem copying 4Gb AVI type files between disks

Hi.
Using W98 SE for video application (Ulead Video Studio 7)
Hard drive 80 Gb.
No problems with this application.
Added second hard drive 80 GB, for additional storage.
Created folders on new drive and sucessfully used the Ulead application with it.

Problem with freeing up space on old drive (12 Gb already free).
Small (less than 2 GB) AVI files copy across ok,
but large 4.139 Gb (max W98) files fail.
error message:
'cannot create or replace uvsnnnnn-nnn: the parameter is incorrect'
where uvsnnnnnn-nnn.AVI is the file name in the Ulead format.

Have searched W98 KB for whole or part error message but no returns.
Have checked the file attributes and nothing ticked except 'archive'.
There is nothing apparently wrong with the AVI files which function ok.

Is there a 2 Gb file limit in Win98, I thought the limit was 4 Gb.

Roger (UK)
25 answers Last reply
More about problem copying type files disks

    "Roger R" <telstar461703@clara4co4uk.invalid> wrote in message news:1118583825.14151.0@spandrell.news.uk.clara.net...
    > Hi.
    > Using W98 SE for video application (Ulead Video Studio 7)
    > Hard drive 80 Gb.
    > No problems with this application.
    > Added second hard drive 80 GB, for additional storage.
    > Created folders on new drive and sucessfully used the Ulead application with it.
    >
    > Problem with freeing up space on old drive (12 Gb already free).
    > Small (less than 2 GB) AVI files copy across ok,
    > but large 4.139 Gb (max W98) files fail.
    > error message:
    > 'cannot create or replace uvsnnnnn-nnn: the parameter is incorrect'
    > where uvsnnnnnn-nnn.AVI is the file name in the Ulead format.
    >
    > Have searched W98 KB for whole or part error message but no returns.
    > Have checked the file attributes and nothing ticked except 'archive'.
    > There is nothing apparently wrong with the AVI files which function ok.
    >
    > Is there a 2 Gb file limit in Win98, I thought the limit was 4 Gb.

    Not sure what you mean, as 4.139 > 4. Or did you mean 2.139?

    Applications can fail over 2GB if they are using a signed dword
    for the "size parameter". And some do. In a "signed" case, the dword
    2GB+1 = -1, 2GB+2 = -2, etc...

    "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message

    > > Is there a 2 Gb file limit in Win98, I thought the limit was 4 Gb.
    >
    > Not sure what you mean, as 4.139 > 4. Or did you mean 2.139?

    I did mean 4.139 Gb. This is the file size obtained when 'capturing' long
    video clips.

    The application manual explains that for Win 98 and Me, the maximum file size is
    4 Gb and that 'captures' of longer duration will be split into a number of
    files, the maximum of each being 4 Gb. The user has no control over the size
    of the files.

    I assume 4 Gb is a nominal number since in my case an hours worth of video
    produces three files of exactly 4.139 Gb and a smaller fouth one (about 1.2 Gb)
    for the remainder.

    Win 98SE has so far, been quite happy with these file sizes, and the application
    is also happy to use them for editing and burning DVD's.

    > Applications can fail over 2GB if they are using a signed dword
    > for the "size parameter". And some do. In a "signed" case, the dword
    > 2GB+1 = -1, 2GB+2 = -2, etc...

    Well I'm out of my depth there. Where should I look to find if the application
    is using a signed dword? The application manuals are for the amateur video
    maker and don't refer to anything so technical.

    If this problem is caused by a W98 limitation then a few more pointers might
    help me when I refer the problem to Ulead support. Thanks.

    Roger

    "Roger R" <telstar461703@clara4co4uk.invalid> wrote in message news:1118594482.39167.0@despina.uk.clara.net...

    > "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
    > >
    >> > Is there a 2 Gb file limit in Win98, I thought the limit was 4 Gb.
    >>
    >> Not sure what you mean, as 4.139 > 4. Or did you mean 2.139?
    >
    > I did mean 4.139 Gb. This is the file size obtained when 'capturing' long
    > video clips.
    >
    > The application manual explains that for Win 98 and Me, the maximum file size is
    > 4 Gb and that 'captures' of longer duration will be split into a number of
    > files, the maximum of each being 4 Gb. The user has no control over the size
    > of the files.
    >
    > I assume 4 Gb is a nominal number since in my case an hours worth of video
    > produces three files of exactly 4.139 Gb and a smaller fouth one (about 1.2 Gb)
    > for the remainder.

    Where (what program) are you seeing these file size numbers?

    They may be measuring in billions of bytes. 4 gigabytes (-1) is the limit
    for the FAT based file system. A "true" 4GB = ~4.29 billion bytes. If it is
    actually a "true" 4.139GB, then that is going to be impossible to write
    in 98's native file system.

    > Win 98SE has so far, been quite happy with these file sizes, and the application
    > is also happy to use them for editing and burning DVD's.
    >
    >> Applications can fail over 2GB if they are using a signed dword
    >> for the "size parameter". And some do. In a "signed" case, the dword
    >> 2GB+1 = -1, 2GB+2 = -2, etc...
    >
    > Well I'm out of my depth there. Where should I look to find if the application
    > is using a signed dword? The application manuals are for the amateur video
    > maker and don't refer to anything so technical.

    That's up to the programmer. I was assuming you meant greater than 2GB, since
    it doesn't make any sense to try to create a 4.139GB file on a FAT based
    system.

    > If this problem is caused by a W98 limitation then a few more pointers might
    > help me when I refer the problem to Ulead support. Thanks.

    The Win98 FAT and FAT32 limit is 4GB-1, and the error message doesn't look
    like a Window's error afaict.

    --
    pip22

    > > I assume 4 Gb is a nominal number since in my case an hours worth of video
    > > produces three files of exactly 4.139 Gb and a smaller fouth one (about 1.2
    Gb)
    > > for the remainder.
    >
    > Where (what program) are you seeing these file size numbers?

    The file sizes are those shown by Windows Explorer. FWIW the Ulead application
    window shows the same numbers. The exact file size shown is 4.193,347 Kb

    > The Win98 FAT and FAT32 limit is 4GB-1, and the error message doesn't look
    > like a Window's error afaict.

    It has every appearance of a normal Windows error message, but text searching for
    part or all of it on the Windows search engine produces no results.
    So as you say it may be a third party message, however it refers to a problem
    Windows has with the action requested as the file copy is inhibited.

    Roger

    I haven't been following all of this in detail, but I do know that you can
    copy up to about 4 GB by doing so in DOS.

    And if I remember right, you can't even copy and paste 3 GB in Windows
    Explorer, but it's been awhile since I was into this. maybe somebody can
    correct me if that's wrong, but I think the windows explorer limit was
    around 2 GB.

    And anything over 4.2 GB (or somewhere around there) you can't copy it at
    ALL (DOS or Windows) (all of this using FAT32)

    "Roger R" <telstar461703@clara4co4uk.invalid> wrote in message news:1118609188.40200.0@iris.uk.clara.net...

    > "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> > I assume 4 Gb is a nominal number since in my case an hours worth of video
    >> > produces three files of exactly 4.139 Gb and a smaller fouth one (about 1.2
    > Gb)
    >> > for the remainder.
    >>
    >> Where (what program) are you seeing these file size numbers?
    >>

    > The file sizes are those shown by Windows Explorer. FWIW the Ulead application
    > window shows the same numbers. The exact file size shown is 4.193,347 Kb

    I guess you mean 4,193,347KB. That's roughly 3.99GB. Not the same as 4.139GB.
    A KB is 1024 bytes, and a GB is 1024KB. 4,193,347 / 1024 = 3.99

    >> The Win98 FAT and FAT32 limit is 4GB-1, and the error message doesn't look
    >> like a Window's error afaict.
    >
    > It has every appearance of a normal Windows error message, but text searching for
    > part or all of it on the Windows search engine produces no results.
    > So as you say it may be a third party message, however it refers to a problem
    > Windows has with the action requested as the file copy is inhibited.

    I don't know then.. (I was going by the numbers you posted). It may be as Bill
    in Co. says..

    > A KB is 1024 bytes, and a GB is 1024KB. 4,193,347 / 1024 = 3.99

    Huh on the GB!

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }

    "Roger R" <telstar461703@clara4co4uk.invalid> wrote in message
    > Hi.
    > Using W98 SE for video application (Ulead Video Studio 7)
    > Hard drive 80 Gb.
    > No problems with this application.
    > Added second hard drive 80 GB, for additional storage.
    > Created folders on new drive and sucessfully used the Ulead application
    with it.

    > Problem with freeing up space on old drive (12 Gb already free).
    > Small (less than 2 GB) AVI files copy across ok,
    > but large 4.139 Gb (max W98) files fail.
    > error message:
    > 'cannot create or replace uvsnnnnn-nnn: the parameter is incorrect'
    > where uvsnnnnnn-nnn.AVI is the file name in the Ulead format.
    >
    > Have searched W98 KB for whole or part error message but no returns.
    > Have checked the file attributes and nothing ticked except 'archive'.
    > There is nothing apparently wrong with the AVI files which function ok.
    >
    > Is there a 2 Gb file limit in Win98, I thought the limit was 4 Gb.
    >
    > Roger (UK)

    File limitation size under WinME is 4GB minus 1 byte. Under certain
    circumstances, it works with 98SE as well. But never had good luck with it
    in 98SE. So I went with ME for ULead's video encoding. ME seems to work
    better with firewire and MS DirectShow out of the box. Had a similar setup
    like yours. Pointed ULead's caching file at the alternate hard drive.
    Worked pretty good. Don't remember much else, gave this PC to my grandkids.

    Really don't understand how ULead created a file in excess of 4GB which you
    have stated as such. 4194304 KB minus one byte is the filesize limitation
    for FAT32. Which is 1 byte less than 4GB. Apparently you translated KBs
    directly to GB per another reply in this thread. Not accurate, and
    misleading to respondents and readers. See my reply to Bill Blanton for
    proper relation of KB to GB.

    Maybe you mean 1024 MB = 1GB?
    And, 1024 KB = 1 MB?
    And therefore, 1024 KB X 1024 = 1048576 KB = 1GB?
    And X 4 or 4GB = 4194304 KB

    "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
    > "Roger R" <telstar461703@clara4co4uk.invalid> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message

    > > Gb)
    > >>
    > >> Where (what program) are you seeing these file size numbers?
    > >>

    > > The file sizes are those shown by Windows Explorer. FWIW the Ulead
    application
    > > window shows the same numbers. The exact file size shown is 4.193,347
    Kb

    > I guess you mean 4,193,347KB. That's roughly 3.99GB. Not the same as
    4.139GB.
    > A KB is 1024 bytes, and a GB is 1024KB. 4,193,347 / 1024 = 3.99
    >

    > >> The Win98 FAT and FAT32 limit is 4GB-1, and the error message doesn't
    look
    > >> like a Window's error afaict.
    > >
    > > It has every appearance of a normal Windows error message, but text
    searching for
    > > part or all of it on the Windows search engine produces no results.
    > > So as you say it may be a third party message, however it refers to a
    problem
    > > Windows has with the action requested as the file copy is inhibited.
    >
    > I don't know then.. (I was going by the numbers you posted). It may be as
    Bill
    > in Co. says..

    Try a different procedure for the copying. For instance, use drag and drop
    instead of cut and paste.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

    "pip22" <pip22.1qj7o5@news.win98banter.com> wrote in message

    > > Also depends which version of FAT your Windows is using:
    > >
    > > FAT16 = 2GB max file size
    > > FAT32 = 4GB max file size

    Definitely FAT 32.

    Roger

    "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
    > > The file sizes are those shown by Windows Explorer. FWIW the Ulead
    application
    > > window shows the same numbers. The exact file size shown is 4.193,347
    Kb

    > I guess you mean 4,193,347KB. That's roughly 3.99GB. Not the same as
    4.139GB.
    > A KB is 1024 bytes, and a GB is 1024KB. 4,193,347 / 1024 = 3.99

    I see your point, if I have this right, putting it another way:

    1Kb = 1024 bytes
    My file = 4,193,347Kb = 4,293,987,328 bytes

    IGb = 1,073,741,824 bytes
    4Gb = 4,294,967,296 bytes.

    So my file is ..just...smaller than the 4Gb limit...by 979,968 bytes.
    Which ought be ok for the 32 bit FAT system, but somehow isn't.

    Thanks for your help I'll raise this problem with the Ulead support and AV
    forums as that is now a more suitable forum.

    Incidentally FWIW, reflecting on the problem overnight it occurred to me
    that it might be something to do with the creation of the AVI file. The AVI
    file is sometimes described as a 'bag' containing the mpeg video file, and
    the audio and video descriptors, codecs or some such.

    I thought that possibly the application had limited the mpeg capture to 4Gb
    but when this was added in with the audio and video codecs the resulting
    file was somewhat larger.

    As the only thing the application ever did with the AVI file was open it,
    after which the resulting mpeg file was suitably smaller than 4 GB it never
    encountered the problem. But on reflection I don't think the
    application's software algorithm designer could possibly have made such an
    oversight, and the problem lies elsewhere.

    Roger

    "Roger R" <telstar461703@clara4co.uk.invalid> wrote in message news:1118661636.27330.0@lotis.uk.clara.net...

    > "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
    >> > The file sizes are those shown by Windows Explorer. FWIW the Ulead
    > application
    >> > window shows the same numbers. The exact file size shown is 4.193,347
    > Kb
    >>
    >> I guess you mean 4,193,347KB. That's roughly 3.99GB. Not the same as
    > 4.139GB.
    >> A KB is 1024 bytes, and a GB is 1024KB. 4,193,347 / 1024 = 3.99
    >>

    > I see your point, if I have this right, putting it another way:
    >
    > 1Kb = 1024 bytes
    > My file = 4,193,347Kb = 4,293,987,328 bytes
    >
    > IGb = 1,073,741,824 bytes
    > 4Gb = 4,294,967,296 bytes.
    >
    > So my file is ..just...smaller than the 4Gb limit...by 979,968 bytes.

    Correct. (My own error (as pointed out by the others) not withstanding..)

    > Which ought be ok for the 32 bit FAT system, but somehow isn't.
    >
    > Thanks for your help I'll raise this problem with the Ulead support and AV
    > forums as that is now a more suitable forum.
    >
    > Incidentally FWIW, reflecting on the problem overnight it occurred to me
    > that it might be something to do with the creation of the AVI file. The AVI
    > file is sometimes described as a 'bag' containing the mpeg video file, and
    > the audio and video descriptors, codecs or some such.
    >
    > I thought that possibly the application had limited the mpeg capture to 4Gb
    > but when this was added in with the audio and video codecs the resulting
    > file was somewhat larger.
    >
    > As the only thing the application ever did with the AVI file was open it,
    > after which the resulting mpeg file was suitably smaller than 4 GB it never
    > encountered the problem. But on reflection I don't think the
    > application's software algorithm designer could possibly have made such an
    > oversight, and the problem lies elsewhere.

    Hard to say. You're definetly pushing the limits when working with files
    that large. Let us know if you find out anything.

    > "Roger R" <telstar461703@clara4co4uk.invalid> wrote in message
    >
    > File limitation size under WinME is 4GB minus 1 byte. Under certain
    > circumstances, it works with 98SE as well. But never had good luck with
    it
    > in 98SE. So I went with ME for ULead's video encoding. ME seems to work
    > better with firewire and MS DirectShow out of the box. Had a similar
    setup
    > like yours. Pointed ULead's caching file at the alternate hard drive.
    > Worked pretty good. Don't remember much else, gave this PC to my
    grandkids.

    Thanks for those comments. I'm trying to finish off a project using my old
    Video Studio 7 with W98 OS although I have the newer VS v 8 (v 9 is out
    now) and new hardware and XP waiting in the wings.

    I agree the most appropriate set up is to have a second drive for video file
    storage and as previously described this problem has arisen after installing
    the second drive and trying to free space on the original drive by shifting
    the video files across.

    > Really don't understand how ULead created a file in excess of 4GB which
    you
    > have stated as such. 4194304 KB minus one byte is the filesize limitation
    > for FAT32. Which is 1 byte less than 4GB. Apparently you translated KBs
    > directly to GB per another reply in this thread. Not accurate, and
    > misleading to respondents and readers. See my reply to Bill Blanton for
    > proper relation of KB to GB.

    Yes made the mistake thinking in normal decimal mode by simply shifting the
    decimal point along for each increased interval, that is:
    1000 = 1K, 1,000K =1M. 1,000M = 1G.

    I should have realised the computer system is working in powers of 2:
    1024b = 1Kb, 1024Kb = 1Mb and 1024Mb = 1Gb.
    However I don't appear to be the only one confused as your reply to Bill
    Blanton highlights.

    My file = 4,193,347Kb
    And as you wrote elsewhere:
    4Gb = 4,194,304KB
    ( 4 x 1024Mb where 1Mb = 1024Kb, or 1Gb = 1048576Kb)

    Thus my file is smaller than the 4Gb limit,by 957K bytes.

    Now we are straight on that I'm no further forward.

    Time to contact Ulead support.

    Roger

    I do find articles at...
    http://search.support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1&spid=1139 MSKB
    Search "cannot create or replace"; Windows 98; This Product; Full Text;
    All Words; Any Time; suggesting Colorado has remembered it right...

    • Low Disk Space Notification Received When Drive Is Full
    (188074) - When you attempt to copy files to a drive that is low on free
    disk space, you may receive the following error message: Cannot create
    or replace <file>: There is not enough free disk space. WARNING: Using
    Registry Editor incorrectly can cause...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;188074

    • Windows 98 Explorer Cannot Copy Large Files
    (318293) - When you use Windows Explorer to copy a file that has a size
    of 2 gigabytes (2 GB, or 2,147,483,648 bytes) or larger, the file copy
    process does not work, and you receive an error message that is similar
    to the following error message: Error:...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318293

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,

    Roger R wrote:
    > "pip22" <pip22.1qj7o5@news.win98banter.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Also depends which version of FAT your Windows is using:
    >>>
    >>> FAT16 = 2GB max file size
    >>> FAT32 = 4GB max file size
    >
    > Definitely FAT 32.
    >
    > Roger

    Yes, you can create a 4GB file with FAT32, but that doesn't mean you can
    copy or move it (in windows explorer)/. As I said, you may have to do
    that in DOS. And even then, you're limited to 4 GB (or 4.12 GB, or whatever
    the exact number was)

    AVI files contain all the video/audio information, and are not coded like
    other AV files like mpeg2 or 4. Raw video to AVI, using your current
    program stores that video/audio informaition that way. And, may have an
    option to do a concurrent mpeg translation at the same time. Windows
    explorer may help you find such a group of files after translating raw video
    to AVI by your software. At least that was my experience a couple of years
    ago with version 5.

    AVI to the proper setup for DVD compatible mpeg2 allows use of this for
    result to be further converted to DVD formatted files. If you start with
    AVI, you get the best video clarity results.

    > I do find articles at...
    > • Windows 98 Explorer Cannot Copy Large Files
    > (318293) - When you use Windows Explorer to copy a file that has a size
    > of 2 gigabytes (2 GB, or 2,147,483,648 bytes) or larger, the file copy
    > process does not work, and you receive an error message that is similar
    > to the following error message: Error:...
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318293

    Is the right answer!

    Thanks for that. I don't know why my search of the MS Knowledge base did
    not turn this up.

    As recommended, using the COPY command in DOS mode has sucessfully copied
    the files.

    Interesting to note that though the issue in W98 is caused by Shell32.dll
    from Internet Explorer 4 and has been corrected in ME and 2000 by Internet
    Explorer 5, later versions of Internet Explorer don't update the Shell32.dll
    in W98. So although I am running IE 6 it doesn't correct the problem.

    Roger
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    You are welcome. I guess it was some kind of ploy meant to get us to
    "upgrade" to WinME, but I didn't fall for it-- or XP either! Colorado
    almost went for XP, though!

    --

    | > I do find articles at...
    | > • Windows 98 Explorer Cannot Copy Large Files
    | > (318293) - When you use Windows Explorer to copy a file that has a
    size
    | > of 2 gigabytes (2 GB, or 2,147,483,648 bytes) or larger, the file
    copy
    | > process does not work, and you receive an error message that is
    similar
    | > to the following error message: Error:...
    | > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318293
    |
    | Is the right answer!
    |
    | Thanks for that. I don't know why my search of the MS Knowledge base
    did
    | not turn this up.
    |
    | As recommended, using the COPY command in DOS mode has sucessfully
    copied
    | the files.
    |
    | Interesting to note that though the issue in W98 is caused by
    Shell32.dll
    | from Internet Explorer 4 and has been corrected in ME and 2000 by
    Internet
    | Explorer 5, later versions of Internet Explorer don't update the
    Shell32.dll
    | in W98. So although I am running IE 6 it doesn't correct the
    problem.

    | Roger

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    If you use smart drive in DOS the copy should be swifter. Also try using XCOPY
    to copy over entire folders/files. You will need to have a boot disk with XCOPY
    on it first before you can use it.

    XCOPY command/switches:
    http://www.computerhope.com/xcopyhlp.htm

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    http://basconotw.mvps.org/

    "Roger R" <telstar461703@clara4co.uk.invalid> wrote in message

    > "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    >> I do find articles at...
    >> . Windows 98 Explorer Cannot Copy Large Files
    >> (318293) - When you use Windows Explorer to copy a file that has a size
    >> of 2 gigabytes (2 GB, or 2,147,483,648 bytes) or larger, the file copy
    >> process does not work, and you receive an error message that is similar
    >> to the following error message: Error:...
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318293
    >
    > Is the right answer!
    >
    > Thanks for that. I don't know why my search of the MS Knowledge base did
    > not turn this up.
    >
    > As recommended, using the COPY command in DOS mode has sucessfully copied
    > the files.
    >
    > Interesting to note that though the issue in W98 is caused by Shell32.dll
    > from Internet Explorer 4 and has been corrected in ME and 2000 by Internet
    > Explorer 5, later versions of Internet Explorer don't update the Shell32.dll
    > in W98. So although I am running IE 6 it doesn't correct the problem.
    >
    > Roger

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > Hard to say. You're definetly pushing the limits when working with files
    > that large. Let us know if you find out anything.

    PCR writing here has found the solution in MS KB318293

    The problem is caused by Shell32.dll which can only handle files up to 2Gb.
    Recommended solution is to restart in DOS and use the COPY command from the
    DOS prompt to copy the files.

    I have successfully copied my files using this method. It can take two or
    three minutes to copy each file which initially causes some anxiety when the
    prompt disappears and there is disk activity for this length of time as
    something untoward may be happening. It is a relief to see the message '1
    file successfully copied'.

    KB318293 gives this account of why the problem persists in W98:
    The Shell32.dll originates as part of Internet Explorer 4 in W98. The
    issue has been corrected in Me and 2000 by Internet Explorer 5 but it
    doesn't correct W98.

    So although I've been through IE5 and am currently running IE6 the issue in
    W98 remains unresolved.

    Roger
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Yes, you can create a 4GB file with FAT32, but that doesn't mean you can
    > copy or move it (in windows explorer)/. As I said, you may have to do
    > that in DOS. And even then, you're limited to 4 GB (or 4.12 GB, or
    whatever
    > the exact number was)

    As PCR has pointed out MS article K318293 addresses the issue and describes
    why the problem persists in the W98 FAT 32 system.

    As a solution, it advises, as you have, copying the file using DOS.
    I have successfully copied the files using this method.

    With the increasing popularity of video editing for home users I expect
    others will encounter this problem. Though XP is of course a preferable OS
    for video editing, in the home environment upgrading hardware and OS may not
    be at the top of the list of domestic priorities.

    Roger
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Roger R wrote:
    > "Bill in Co." <not_really_here@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    >> Yes, you can create a 4GB file with FAT32, but that doesn't mean you can
    >> copy or move it (in windows explorer)/. As I said, you may have to do
    >> that in DOS. And even then, you're limited to 4 GB (or 4.12 GB, or
    >>whatever the exact number was)
    >
    > As PCR has pointed out MS article K318293 addresses the issue and
    > describes why the problem persists in the W98 FAT 32 system.
    >
    > As a solution, it advises, as you have, copying the file using DOS.
    > I have successfully copied the files using this method.

    Well, that's what I've been trying to tell ya, for the past 2 days!!! :-)

    > With the increasing popularity of video editing for home users I expect
    > others will encounter this problem. Though XP is of course a preferable
    OS
    > for video editing, in the home environment upgrading hardware and OS may
    > not be at the top of the list of domestic priorities.
    >
    > Roger

    The solution is for the app to write the video files in 1 GB segments (give
    or take), or at least have that option available. And I think many video
    apps still do. Of course, if you get a video app that only works on NTFS
    (I mean, not FAT here) and says so, that would be a different story. And
    that may be the future, who knows.
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    "Bill Blanton" wrote:
    > "Roger R" <telstar461703@clara4co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Bill Blanton" <bblanton@REMOVEmagicnet.net> wrote in message
    >   >> > The file sizes are those shown by Windows
    > Explorer. FWIW the Ulead
    > > application
    >   >> > window shows the same numbers. The exact
    > file size shown is 4.193,347
    > > Kb
    >  >>
    >  >> I guess you mean 4,193,347KB. That's roughly 3.99GB.
    > Not the same as
    > > 4.139GB.
    >  >> A KB is 1024 bytes, and a GB is 1024KB. 4,193,347 /
    > 1024 = 3.99
    >  >>
    > >
    > > I see your point, if I have this right, putting it another
    > way:
    > >
    > > 1Kb = 1024 bytes
    > > My file = 4,193,347Kb = 4,293,987,328 bytes
    > >
    > > IGb = 1,073,741,824 bytes
    > > 4Gb = 4,294,967,296 bytes.
    > >
    > > So my file is ..just...smaller than the 4Gb limit...by
    > 979,968 bytes.
    >
    > Correct. (My own error (as pointed out by the others) not
    > withstanding..)
    >

    > > Which ought be ok for the 32 bit FAT system, but somehow
    > isn't.
    > >
    > > Thanks for your help I'll raise this problem with the Ulead
    > support and AV
    > > forums as that is now a more suitable forum.
    > >
    > > Incidentally FWIW, reflecting on the problem overnight it
    > occurred to me
    > > that it might be something to do with the creation of the
    > AVI file. The AVI
    > > file is sometimes described as a 'bag' containing the mpeg
    > video file, and
    > > the audio and video descriptors, codecs or some such.
    > >
    > > I thought that possibly the application had limited the mpeg
    > capture to 4Gb
    > > but when this was added in with the audio and video codecs
    > the resulting
    > > file was somewhat larger.
    > >
    > > As the only thing the application ever did with the AVI file
    > was open it,
    > > after which the resulting mpeg file was suitably smaller
    > than 4 GB it never
    > > encountered the problem. But on reflection I don't think
    > the
    > > application's software algorithm designer could possibly
    > have made such an
    > > oversight, and the problem lies elsewhere.
    >
    > Hard to say. You're definetly pushing the limits when working
    > with files
    > that large. Let us know if you find out anything.

    I just ran into the same problem.

    Microsoft does address the problem here -->
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;318293

    The only solution is file copy in DOS for Win 98.

    -----update - It Worked!

    DOS COPY is required in WIN98 for files over 2 GB.

    Always love a workaround!

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Problem-copying-4Gb-AVI-type-files-disks-ftopict545146.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1739908

AVI Ulead Hard Drives Windows