Software for MS wheel mouse

I have an older MS wheel mouse, no software. Want to use it with W98Se.

The MS download site has the latest version, but ONLY with the msi
installer, which I don't use.

Can someone direct me to a URL where I can download any older version for
the wheel mouse, with an old Install Shield or similar installer?

Or, I have already a Logitech wheel mouse, does the same software work?

TIA
18 answers Last reply
More about software wheel mouse

    Go here for the Intellimouse 2.2a driver download:
    http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=65996

    Click the link to "Download this file":
    http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?action=download&driverid=65996

    If it asks for a username/password, use drivers/all
    If it brings up a page to register now, scroll down and click the link to bypass
    that and "Continue on the site".
    On the download page, verify, then select the hard drive as the destination, and
    download the driver setup. When the download is done, double-click the
    "Intellimouse2.2.exe" file to begin the installation.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    glee wrote:
    > Go here for the Intellimouse 2.2a driver download:
    > http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?driverid=65996
    >
    > Click the link to "Download this file":
    > http://members.driverguide.com/driver/detail.php?action=download&driverid=65996
    >
    > If it asks for a username/password, use drivers/all
    > If it brings up a page to register now, scroll down and click the link to bypass
    > that and "Continue on the site".
    > On the download page, verify, then select the hard drive as the destination, and
    > download the driver setup. When the download is done, double-click the
    > "Intellimouse2.2.exe" file to begin the installation.

    Many thanks, Glen for the help.

    That website is a DOG. Once before, I fought through those pages to a
    temporary page, entered the file name, it found it and I got it. Not today.
    I tried drivers/all, it did not accept it as a password. So I went to the
    "when nothing else works" page again, entered Intellimouse2.2a.exe, no
    luck. I tried Intellimouse2.2, I tried Intellimouse2.2 driver, no luck, it
    kept timing out, even tried older database at that site.

    Maybe it doesen't like my Firefox browser, but it worked a month ago.

    Advice?

    Mike

    Dunno what to tell you.....I just downloaded it here, before I told you how to do
    it, to make sure it still worked.

    The password is not drivers/all....the username is drivers; the password is all. I
    just used that today, and have been for a couple of years. It may be a problem
    between your ISP and their server.

    Give me a valid email address and I will email you a .zip attachment with version
    2.2f setup...it's a little newer than 2.2a. The zipped file size is 1,170KB
    If you don't want to post an email addy here, email me privately at:
    glen.vee @ gmail dot com
    --

    ms wrote:
    > I have an older MS wheel mouse, no software. Want to use it with
    > W98Se.
    >
    > The MS download site has the latest version, but ONLY with the msi
    > installer, which I don't use.
    >
    > Can someone direct me to a URL where I can download any older version
    > for the wheel mouse, with an old Install Shield or similar installer?
    >
    > Or, I have already a Logitech wheel mouse, does the same software
    > work?
    >
    > TIA

    I have a corded Intellimouse Optical 5 button mouse. I use Kensington
    Mouseworks, downloadable here:

    http://www.kensington.com/html/1466.html

    This is THE best software for 5 button Intellimouse, IMO. The last
    Intellipoint driver crippled the 5 button functionality for Windows 98
    users.

    Roger Fink wrote:
    > ms wrote:
    >
    >>I have an older MS wheel mouse, no software. Want to use it with
    >>W98Se.
    >>
    >>The MS download site has the latest version, but ONLY with the msi
    >>installer, which I don't use.
    >>
    >>Can someone direct me to a URL where I can download any older version
    >>for the wheel mouse, with an old Install Shield or similar installer?
    >>
    >>Or, I have already a Logitech wheel mouse, does the same software
    >>work?
    >>
    >>TIA
    >

    > I have a corded Intellimouse Optical 5 button mouse. I use Kensington
    > Mouseworks, downloadable here:
    >
    > http://www.kensington.com/html/1466.html
    >
    > This is THE best software for 5 button Intellimouse, IMO. The last
    > Intellipoint driver crippled the 5 button functionality for Windows 98
    > users.

    Guess I don't understand- mine is not an optical mouse, but 2 buttons and a
    wheel are not 5 buttons?

    Commment?

    glee wrote:
    > Dunno what to tell you.....I just downloaded it here, before I told you how to do
    > it, to make sure it still worked.
    >
    > The password is not drivers/all....the username is drivers; the password is all. I
    > just used that today, and have been for a couple of years. It may be a problem
    > between your ISP and their server.
    >
    > Give me a valid email address and I will email you a .zip attachment with version
    > 2.2f setup...it's a little newer than 2.2a. The zipped file size is 1,170KB
    > If you don't want to post an email addy here, email me privately at:
    > glen.vee @ gmail dot com

    Now that I have the password correct, it works, downloading now. I hope
    that version 2.2a will work for any MS older wheel mouse.

    Thanks for the help.

    Mike

    ms wrote:
    > Roger Fink wrote:
    >> ms wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have an older MS wheel mouse, no software. Want to use it with
    >>> W98Se.
    >>>
    >>> The MS download site has the latest version, but ONLY with the msi
    >>> installer, which I don't use.
    >>>
    >>> Can someone direct me to a URL where I can download any older
    >>> version for the wheel mouse, with an old Install Shield or similar
    >>> installer?
    >>>
    >>> Or, I have already a Logitech wheel mouse, does the same software
    >>> work?
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>

    >> I have a corded Intellimouse Optical 5 button mouse. I use Kensington
    >> Mouseworks, downloadable here:
    >>
    >> http://www.kensington.com/html/1466.html
    >>
    >> This is THE best software for 5 button Intellimouse, IMO. The last
    >> Intellipoint driver crippled the 5 button functionality for Windows
    >> 98 users.
    >>
    > Guess I don't understand- mine is not an optical mouse, but 2 buttons
    > and a wheel are not 5 buttons?
    >
    > Commment?

    Sure.

    I figured that was the most complex "old-time" Microsoft mouse (5 buttons,
    all programmable) that Mouseworks would have to run. Since it never froze or
    crashed even once during the three or so years I've used it, I thought it
    was worth suggesting. Also, you mentioned Logitech, so I figured you were
    considering alternatives.

    Question - why not just rely on the pre-loaded generic driver for a three
    button mouse?

    Roger Fink wrote:
    > ms wrote:
    >
    >>Roger Fink wrote:

    >>>I have a corded Intellimouse Optical 5 button mouse. I use Kensington
    >>>Mouseworks, downloadable here:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.kensington.com/html/1466.html
    >>>
    >>>This is THE best software for 5 button Intellimouse, IMO. The last
    >>>Intellipoint driver crippled the 5 button functionality for Windows
    >>>98 users.
    >>>

    >>Guess I don't understand- mine is not an optical mouse, but 2 buttons
    >> and a wheel are not 5 buttons?
    >>
    >>Commment?
    >

    > Sure.
    >
    > I figured that was the most complex "old-time" Microsoft mouse (5 buttons,
    > all programmable) that Mouseworks would have to run. Since it never froze or
    > crashed even once during the three or so years I've used it, I thought it
    > was worth suggesting. Also, you mentioned Logitech, so I figured you were
    > considering alternatives.
    >
    > Question - why not just rely on the pre-loaded generic driver for a three
    > button mouse?

    This is 2 buttons and a wheel. I guess the wheel would take different
    software than the old simple 3- button mouse.

    ms wrote:
    > Roger Fink wrote:
    >> ms wrote:

    >>> Guess I don't understand- mine is not an optical mouse, but 2
    >>> buttons and a wheel are not 5 buttons?
    >>>
    >>> Commment?
    >>

    >> Sure.
    >>
    >> I figured that was the most complex "old-time" Microsoft mouse (5
    >> buttons, all programmable) that Mouseworks would have to run. Since
    >> it never froze or crashed even once during the three or so years
    >> I've used it, I thought it was worth suggesting. Also, you mentioned
    >> Logitech, so I figured you were considering alternatives.
    >>
    >> Question - why not just rely on the pre-loaded generic driver for a
    >> three button mouse?
    >>

    > This is 2 buttons and a wheel. I guess the wheel would take different
    > software than the old simple 3- button mouse.

    I think that's just a different way of describing the same mouse. As I
    recall the generic driver will allow you to manually scroll by rotating the
    wheel, but it may require additional software, Intellipoint or other, to
    activate autoscroll.

    If you are using a simple two-button/wheel mouse, you don't need to install any
    Intellipoint software at all....Win98 has drivers built in for those mice. Simply
    plug in your wheel mouse, start the computer, and let Windows detect the mouse and
    install the driver.
    --

    glee wrote:
    > If you are using a simple two-button/wheel mouse, you don't need to install any
    > Intellipoint software at all....Win98 has drivers built in for those mice. Simply
    > plug in your wheel mouse, start the computer, and let Windows detect the mouse and
    > install the driver.

    Thanks to all.

    BTW, on a different computer, a more basic mouse question on an old, wired
    2-button mouse. The mouse connection is the small rectangular connector and
    a used mouse. I cleaned the mouse ball and pad without taking it apart.
    Still, it frequently needs to be lifted, shaken, then set down to move the
    cursor. Mouse action is not very smooth.

    What is typically wrong? Just dirty?

    How to take the mouse apart?

    Also, I have one other similar mouse with that connector, an awkward mouse
    shape, so only a backup. When connected, the cursor moves about an inch,
    no more. This is also a simple mouse, surely W98SE generic drivers should
    work on a basic 2-button mouse, is this simply a dirty mouse?

    TIA

    Mike

    inline>

    "ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:3h8942Fft5u6U1@individual.net...
    > glee wrote:
    >> If you are using a simple two-button/wheel mouse, you don't need to
    >> install any
    >> Intellipoint software at all....Win98 has drivers built in for those
    >> mice. Simply
    >> plug in your wheel mouse, start the computer, and let Windows detect the
    >> mouse and
    >> install the driver.
    >
    > Thanks to all.

    > BTW, on a different computer, a more basic mouse question on an old, wired
    > 2-button mouse. The mouse connection is the small rectangular connector
    > and a used mouse. I cleaned the mouse ball and pad without taking it
    > apart. Still, it frequently needs to be lifted, shaken, then set down to
    > move the cursor. Mouse action is not very smooth.
    >
    > What is typically wrong? Just dirty?

    Probably dirty and/or bad sensor(s)

    > How to take the mouse apart?

    usually 3 or 4 screws underneith ...but some I've seen have a snap apart
    type of thing going...careful you don't snap! too hard :>

    > Also, I have one other similar mouse with that connector, an awkward mouse
    > shape, so only a backup. When connected, the cursor moves about an inch,
    > no more. This is also a simple mouse, surely W98SE generic drivers should
    > work on a basic 2-button mouse, is this simply a dirty mouse?

    generic mouse drivers should be fine ...probably just dirty/faulty mouse

    > TIA
    >
    > Mike

    Take the bottom ball cover off and remove the ball. Have a look at the wheels
    inside where the ball rests and see if they have any buildup on them. The can be
    cleaned easily with a pin, nail file, paper clip, etc. Be careful not to scratch
    them up when removing any buildup as that would make it easier for more buildup
    to grab hold.

    Otherwise remove a screw, 2 or 3 on the bottom and if it doesn't separate, have
    a good look along the seam for spots where it clips together. Take care in
    pulling it apart and try not to let any parts fall out that you will have to
    play a guessing game on where they came from and go back to properly.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }

    "ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:3h8942Fft5u6U1@individual.net...
    > glee wrote:
    >> If you are using a simple two-button/wheel mouse, you don't need to install
    >> any
    >> Intellipoint software at all....Win98 has drivers built in for those mice.
    >> Simply
    >> plug in your wheel mouse, start the computer, and let Windows detect the
    >> mouse and
    >> install the driver.
    >
    > Thanks to all.
    >
    > BTW, on a different computer, a more basic mouse question on an old, wired
    > 2-button mouse. The mouse connection is the small rectangular connector and a
    > used mouse. I cleaned the mouse ball and pad without taking it apart. Still,
    > it frequently needs to be lifted, shaken, then set down to move the cursor.
    > Mouse action is not very smooth.
    >
    > What is typically wrong? Just dirty?
    >
    > How to take the mouse apart?
    >
    > Also, I have one other similar mouse with that connector, an awkward mouse
    > shape, so only a backup. When connected, the cursor moves about an inch, no
    > more. This is also a simple mouse, surely W98SE generic drivers should work on
    > a basic 2-button mouse, is this simply a dirty mouse?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Mike

    on old mouses(grin) the problem is not usually on the ball, there is a build
    up of sludge on the small rollers the ball rolls against inside the housing
    remove the ball and flick off the Yuk with a fingernail until the encoder
    rollers and the pressure roller that holds the ball against the encoder
    rollers are clean

    --
    Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    spybot http://security.kolla.de

    Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
    _
    "ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:3h8942Fft5u6U1@individual.net...
    > glee wrote:
    > > If you are using a simple two-button/wheel mouse, you don't need to
    install any
    > > Intellipoint software at all....Win98 has drivers built in for those
    mice. Simply
    > > plug in your wheel mouse, start the computer, and let Windows detect the
    mouse and
    > > install the driver.
    >
    > Thanks to all.
    >
    > BTW, on a different computer, a more basic mouse question on an old, wired
    > 2-button mouse. The mouse connection is the small rectangular connector
    and
    > a used mouse. I cleaned the mouse ball and pad without taking it apart.
    > Still, it frequently needs to be lifted, shaken, then set down to move
    the
    > cursor. Mouse action is not very smooth.
    >
    > What is typically wrong? Just dirty?
    >
    > How to take the mouse apart?
    >
    > Also, I have one other similar mouse with that connector, an awkward mouse
    > shape, so only a backup. When connected, the cursor moves about an inch,
    > no more. This is also a simple mouse, surely W98SE generic drivers should
    > work on a basic 2-button mouse, is this simply a dirty mouse?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Mike

    Ya know, I had a mental block on rollers and called them wheels. Imagine a mouse
    with wheels? <BSEG>

    --

    Brian A. wrote:
    > Take the bottom ball cover off and remove the ball. Have a look at the
    > wheels inside where the ball rests and see if they have any buildup on
    > them. The can be cleaned easily with a pin, nail file, paper clip, etc.
    > Be careful not to scratch them up when removing any buildup as that
    > would make it easier for more buildup to grab hold.
    >
    > Otherwise remove a screw, 2 or 3 on the bottom and if it doesn't
    > separate, have a good look along the seam for spots where it clips
    > together. Take care in pulling it apart and try not to let any parts
    > fall out that you will have to play a guessing game on where they came
    > from and go back to properly.

    Thanks to all.
    >have a good look along the seam for spots where it clips
    > together.

    That sentence led to this thread. On the backup mouse with bad form factor,
    there are screws, no problem.

    But the other mouse and my normal mouse have the usual hairline seam, it is
    IMO impossible to see where it clips together.

    This is what's missing in all the mouse cleaning data- *HOW* do you pry it
    open without damaging the case? And do you open it upside down to avoid
    loosing parts?

    Please provide details.

    Thanks,

    Mike

    "ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:3hb164Fg1mdaU1@individual.net...
    > That sentence led to this thread. On the backup mouse with bad form factor,
    > there are screws, no problem.
    >
    > But the other mouse and my normal mouse have the usual hairline seam, it is
    > IMO impossible to see where it clips together.

    Make sure there are no screws, I once thought one I had didn't until I found it
    under a sticker.

    > This is what's missing in all the mouse cleaning data- *HOW* do you pry it
    > open without damaging the case? And do you open it upside down to avoid
    > loosing parts?

    I find it best to use finger nails pushing into the seam and running it along
    the seam. It helps to split it enough to get a good feel or peak where the point
    is less giving. IIRC you will find most in the rear or rear sides of the mouse.
    Simply be gentle and you should be able to get it. Upside down or upright will
    work, slowly pull it apart whrn loose and pek onside to see if you need to filp
    it to keep interals internal.

    > Please provide details.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Mike

    Thanks, Brian, I will try it.

    Mike

    Brian A. wrote:
    > "ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:3hb164Fg1mdaU1@individual.net...
    >
    >> That sentence led to this thread. On the backup mouse with bad form
    >> factor, there are screws, no problem.
    >>
    >> But the other mouse and my normal mouse have the usual hairline seam,
    >> it is IMO impossible to see where it clips together.
    >

    > Make sure there are no screws, I once thought one I had didn't until I
    > found it under a sticker.
    >

    >> This is what's missing in all the mouse cleaning data- *HOW* do you
    >> pry it open without damaging the case? And do you open it upside down
    >> to avoid loosing parts?
    >

    > I find it best to use finger nails pushing into the seam and running it
    > along the seam. It helps to split it enough to get a good feel or peak
    > where the point is less giving. IIRC you will find most in the rear or
    > rear sides of the mouse. Simply be gentle and you should be able to get
    > it. Upside down or upright will work, slowly pull it apart whrn loose
    > and pek onside to see if you need to filp it to keep interals internal.
    >

    >> Please provide details.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Mike

Mice Software Windows