Overflow Explorer

Very often Internet Browser closes and the following reason is what
Dr.Watson gives:
The application overflowed its temporary memory area.

Module Name: KERNEL32.DLL
Version: 4.10.2222
Product: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation

Application Name: Explorer.exe
Version: 4.72.3110.1
Product: Microsoft(R) Windows NT(R) Operating System
Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
What does it mean and why does it happen and how do I fix it?
Sol
32 answers Last reply
More about overflow explorer

    "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > Very often Internet Browser closes and the following reason is what
    > Dr.Watson gives:
    > The application overflowed its temporary memory area.

    So what did you find when you investigated?
    On what drive is your folder / Temporary Internet Files ?
    How much free space is on that drive?

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Very often Internet Browser closes and the following reason is what
    >Dr.Watson gives:
    >The application overflowed its temporary memory area.
    >
    >Module Name: KERNEL32.DLL
    >Version: 4.10.2222
    >Product: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
    >Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
    >
    >Application Name: Explorer.exe
    >Version: 4.72.3110.1
    >Product: Microsoft(R) Windows NT(R) Operating System
    >Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
    >What does it mean and why does it happen and how do I fix it?
    >Sol

    Get rid of Dr. Watson. That will dispense with the excessive and
    totally useless verbiage that it generates to replace the actual error
    message.

    With the actual error message information (sans Dr. Watson) it is
    possible to search the Microsoft Knowledge Base and other resources
    for information about the actual error.

    Post the actual error message information back here. If there is a
    Details button on the first error message window click on it and use
    the first part of the detailed error message, up to the word
    Registers:, in your response.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Those are the proper versions of those files. Here, this could be what
    may show up, if you do as Martell says, (but I like DrWatson)...

    Error Message: There Are No Spare Stack Pages (Q149083)
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=149083

    (1) "START, Run, MSConfig, System.ini tab".
    (2) Click "[386Enh]", so that it highlights.
    (3) Click the "New" button.
    (4) Type or copy "MinSPs=4" into it, no quotes. Hit the Enter key
    (5) Close up, & reboot.

    That's right, mine is "4" & it's fine. (If you get the same error, go
    higher in increments of 2, i.e., next would be 6.) Each SP is 2K RAM,
    which will be given to a task which has not set aside a large enough
    work area for itself. By default, Windows will give it 2 additional
    SP's; now, it will get 4.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,

    "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:

    > (but I like DrWatson)...

    Could that be related to the quantity of verbiage produced? :-)

    | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:
    |
    | > (but I like DrWatson)...
    | >

    | Could that be related to the quantity of verbiage produced? :-)

    It doesn't produce quite enough verbiage. So, that can't be it!

    | Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    | --
    | Microsoft MVP
    | On-Line Help Computer Service
    | http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    |
    | In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    | http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    From a post a while ago I had followed those instructions and my Minsp is
    already at 32.
    Solomon
    > Those are the proper versions of those files. Here, this could be what
    > may show up, if you do as Martell says, (but I like DrWatson)...
    >
    > Error Message: There Are No Spare Stack Pages (Q149083)
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=149083
    >
    > (1) "START, Run, MSConfig, System.ini tab".
    > (2) Click "[386Enh]", so that it highlights.
    > (3) Click the "New" button.
    > (4) Type or copy "MinSPs=4" into it, no quotes. Hit the Enter key
    > (5) Close up, & reboot.
    >
    > That's right, mine is "4" & it's fine. (If you get the same error, go
    > higher in increments of 2, i.e., next would be 6.) Each SP is 2K RAM,
    > which will be given to a task which has not set aside a large enough
    > work area for itself. By default, Windows will give it 2 additional
    > SP's; now, it will get 4.
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > | Very often Internet Browser closes and the following reason is what
    > | Dr.Watson gives:
    > | The application overflowed its temporary memory area.
    > |
    > | Module Name: KERNEL32.DLL
    > | Version: 4.10.2222
    > | Product: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
    > | Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
    > |
    > | Application Name: Explorer.exe
    > | Version: 4.72.3110.1
    > | Product: Microsoft(R) Windows NT(R) Operating System
    > | Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
    > | What does it mean and why does it happen and how do I fix it?
    > | Sol

    Here are the details without Dr. Watson:
    EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
    module KERNEL32.DLL at 0197:bff7de0a.
    Registers:
    EAX=014d0020 CS=0197 EIP=bff7de0a EFLGS=00010282
    EBX=0150faf0 SS=019f ESP=014d0000 EBP=0150fb00
    ECX=00000000 DS=019f ESI=00000000 FS=5b37
    EDX=bff76855 ES=019f EDI=bff79198 GS=0000
    Bytes at CS:EIP:
    e8 25 fd 01 00 c3 8b 65 e8 c7 45 e4 01 00 00 00
    Stack dump:
    014d0020 bffc05ff 014d0028 00000000 014d0028 014d00f8 81b1509c 0150faf0
    014d00f8 014d0114 014d004c bff76849 014d00f8 0150faf0 014d0114 014d00d0
    "Don Phillipson" <d.phillipson@ttrryytteell.com> wrote in message
    > "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > Very often Internet Browser closes and the following reason is what
    > > Dr.Watson gives:
    > > The application overflowed its temporary memory area.
    >
    > So what did you find when you investigated?
    > On what drive is your folder / Temporary Internet Files ?
    > How much free space is on that drive?
    >
    > --
    > Don Phillipson
    > Carlsbad Springs
    > (Ottawa, Canada)

    "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Here are the details without Dr. Watson:
    >EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
    >module KERNEL32.DLL at 0197:bff7de0a.
    >Registers:

    See MVP Jim Eshelman's web page for Kernel32.dll errors at
    http://aumha.org/win4/a/kernel32.htm

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Whenever this happens my active desktop becomes disabled.Is it possible that
    the active desktop causes the problem and if yes How can I correct it and
    still have my desktop enabled?
    > "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Here are the details without Dr. Watson:
    > >EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
    > >module KERNEL32.DLL at 0197:bff7de0a.
    > >Registers:
    >
    > See MVP Jim Eshelman's web page for Kernel32.dll errors at
    > http://aumha.org/win4/a/kernel32.htm
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    You have on the website a whole list of cause foe Kernel32 error.How do I
    check them all? Damaged swap file
    File allocation damage
    Damaged password list
    Damaged or incorrect version of the KERNEL32.DLL file
    Damaged registry
    Hardware, hot CPU, over clocking, broken power supply, RF noise, ground
    bounce, or bad hard disk controller
    BIOS settings for Wait states, RAM timing, or other BIOS settings
    Third-party software that is damaged or incorrectly installed
    ..DLL files that are saved to the desktop
    Non-existent or broken Temp folder
    A control panel (.CPL) file is damaged
    Incorrect or damaged hardware driver
    Incorrectly installed printer drivers or HP Jetadmin drivers
    Damaged Java Machine
    Damaged .LOG files
    Damaged entries in the History folder
    Incompatible or damaged dynamic link library files
    Viruses
    Damaged or incorrect MSINFO32.EXE file
    Low disk space
    Other problems that depend on the Kernel file

    > "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Here are the details without Dr. Watson:
    > >EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
    > >module KERNEL32.DLL at 0197:bff7de0a.
    > >Registers:
    >
    > See MVP Jim Eshelman's web page for Kernel32.dll errors at
    > http://aumha.org/win4/a/kernel32.htm
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Just got This:Windows User-interface core component accessed memory
    improperly or encountered some nonspecific error.

    Module Name: user.exe
    Version: 4.10.2222
    Product: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
    Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation

    Application Name: Explorer.exe
    Version: 4.72.3110.1
    Product: Microsoft(R) Windows NT(R) Operating System
    Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation

    --------------------
    Windows KB891711 component has altered Windows system files.

    Module Name: KB891711.EXE
    Version: 4.10.2223
    Product: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
    Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation

    --------------------
    If the Taskbar is behaving strangely, try exiting Cicero Loader.

    Module Name: CTFMON.EXE
    Version: 1.00.2409.7 built by: Lab06_N

    > You have on the website a whole list of cause foe Kernel32 error.How do I
    > check them all? Damaged swap file
    > File allocation damage
    > Damaged password list
    > Damaged or incorrect version of the KERNEL32.DLL file
    > Damaged registry
    > Hardware, hot CPU, over clocking, broken power supply, RF noise, ground
    > bounce, or bad hard disk controller
    > BIOS settings for Wait states, RAM timing, or other BIOS settings
    > Third-party software that is damaged or incorrectly installed
    > .DLL files that are saved to the desktop
    > Non-existent or broken Temp folder
    > A control panel (.CPL) file is damaged
    > Incorrect or damaged hardware driver
    > Incorrectly installed printer drivers or HP Jetadmin drivers
    > Damaged Java Machine
    > Damaged .LOG files
    > Damaged entries in the History folder
    > Incompatible or damaged dynamic link library files
    > Viruses
    > Damaged or incorrect MSINFO32.EXE file
    > Low disk space
    > Other problems that depend on the Kernel file
    >

    > "Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Here are the details without Dr. Watson:
    > > >EXPLORER caused an invalid page fault in
    > > >module KERNEL32.DLL at 0197:bff7de0a.
    > > >Registers:
    > >
    > > See MVP Jim Eshelman's web page for Kernel32.dll errors at
    > > http://aumha.org/win4/a/kernel32.htm
    > >
    > > Good luck
    > >

    > > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > > --
    > > Microsoft MVP
    > > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    > >
    > > In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    > > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    I totally defer to Martell. Tell him what you were doing at the time.
    One of the procedures at Eshelman's? Has the other error been fixed?
    These are the things Martell is sure to want to know.

    http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/eruser.htm#ERRUSER.EXE
    Leboeuf has many, including at least three by Explorer.

    --
    | Just got This:Windows User-interface core component accessed memory
    | improperly or encountered some nonspecific error.
    |
    | Module Name: user.exe
    | Version: 4.10.2222
    | Product: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
    | Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
    |
    | Application Name: Explorer.exe
    | Version: 4.72.3110.1
    | Product: Microsoft(R) Windows NT(R) Operating System
    | Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
    |
    | --------------------
    | Windows KB891711 component has altered Windows system files.
    |
    | Module Name: KB891711.EXE
    | Version: 4.10.2223
    | Product: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
    | Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
    |
    | --------------------
    | If the Taskbar is behaving strangely, try exiting Cicero Loader.
    |
    | Module Name: CTFMON.EXE
    | Version: 1.00.2409.7 built by: Lab06_N
    | Product: Microsoft(R) Windows NT(R) Operating System
    | Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
    |

    | "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    | > You have on the website a whole list of cause foe Kernel32 error.How
    do I
    | > check them all? Damaged swap file
    | > File allocation damage
    | > Damaged password list
    | > Damaged or incorrect version of the KERNEL32.DLL file
    | > Damaged registry
    | > Hardware, hot CPU, over clocking, broken power supply, RF noise,
    ground
    | > bounce, or bad hard disk controller
    | > BIOS settings for Wait states, RAM timing, or other BIOS settings
    | > Third-party software that is damaged or incorrectly installed
    | > .DLL files that are saved to the desktop
    | > Non-existent or broken Temp folder
    | > A control panel (.CPL) file is damaged
    | > Incorrect or damaged hardware driver
    | > Incorrectly installed printer drivers or HP Jetadmin drivers
    | > Damaged Java Machine
    | > Damaged .LOG files
    | > Damaged entries in the History folder
    | > Incompatible or damaged dynamic link library files
    | > Viruses
    | > Damaged or incorrect MSINFO32.EXE file
    | > Low disk space
    | > Other problems that depend on the Kernel file
    | >

    | > "Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote in message

    | > > See MVP Jim Eshelman's web page for Kernel32.dll errors at
    | > > http://aumha.org/win4/a/kernel32.htm
    | > >
    | > > Good luck
    | > >

    | > > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    | > > --
    | > > Microsoft MVP
    | > > On-Line Help Computer Service
    | > > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    | > >
    | > > In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    | > > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    can't open that link

    > I totally defer to Martell. Tell him what you were doing at the time.
    > One of the procedures at Eshelman's? Has the other error been fixed?
    > These are the things Martell is sure to want to know.
    >
    > http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/eruser.htm#ERRUSER.EXE
    > Leboeuf has many, including at least three by Explorer.
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > | Just got This:Windows User-interface core component accessed memory
    > | improperly or encountered some nonspecific error.
    > |
    > | Module Name: user.exe
    > | Version: 4.10.2222
    > | Product: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
    > | Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
    > |
    > | Application Name: Explorer.exe
    > | Version: 4.72.3110.1
    > | Product: Microsoft(R) Windows NT(R) Operating System
    > | Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
    > |
    > | --------------------
    > | Windows KB891711 component has altered Windows system files.
    > |
    > | Module Name: KB891711.EXE
    > | Version: 4.10.2223
    > | Product: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
    > | Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
    > |
    > | --------------------
    > | If the Taskbar is behaving strangely, try exiting Cicero Loader.
    > |
    > | Module Name: CTFMON.EXE
    > | Version: 1.00.2409.7 built by: Lab06_N
    > | Product: Microsoft(R) Windows NT(R) Operating System
    > | Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
    > |

    > | "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > | > You have on the website a whole list of cause foe Kernel32 error.How
    > do I
    > | > check them all? Damaged swap file
    > | > File allocation damage
    > | > Damaged password list
    > | > Damaged or incorrect version of the KERNEL32.DLL file
    > | > Damaged registry
    > | > Hardware, hot CPU, over clocking, broken power supply, RF noise,
    > ground
    > | > bounce, or bad hard disk controller
    > | > BIOS settings for Wait states, RAM timing, or other BIOS settings
    > | > Third-party software that is damaged or incorrectly installed
    > | > .DLL files that are saved to the desktop
    > | > Non-existent or broken Temp folder
    > | > A control panel (.CPL) file is damaged
    > | > Incorrect or damaged hardware driver
    > | > Incorrectly installed printer drivers or HP Jetadmin drivers
    > | > Damaged Java Machine
    > | > Damaged .LOG files
    > | > Damaged entries in the History folder
    > | > Incompatible or damaged dynamic link library files
    > | > Viruses
    > | > Damaged or incorrect MSINFO32.EXE file
    > | > Low disk space
    > | > Other problems that depend on the Kernel file
    > | >

    > | > "Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote in message

    Why? It opens for me. Maybe, paste it to your address bar. Anyway...

    (1) If that User.exe crash is rare, perhaps ignore it.
    (2) My User.exe is a higher version...

    USER.EXE
    Desc: Windows User-interface core component
    Loc: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
    &: C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS
    Size: 549,760 bytes
    Mod: Wednesday, April 19, 2000 01:02:44 PM
    Ver: 4.10.2227

    That does seem to have been updated. If you have a copy in
    C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS\, the folder, then... at DOS...

    COPY C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS\USER.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

    Otherwise, extract it with SFC, to start. Then, you may wish to update
    it, perhaps with a visit to Windows Update.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q192832
    SFC extracts wrong file
    User.exe is one of them SFC will have trouble with, IF you are not
    Win98SE. In that case, extract the file in DOS, or take the one in
    "C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS", if there.

    --
    | can't open that link

    | > I totally defer to Martell. Tell him what you were doing at the
    time.
    | > One of the procedures at Eshelman's? Has the other error been fixed?
    | > These are the things Martell is sure to want to know.
    | >
    | > http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/eruser.htm#ERRUSER.EXE
    | > Leboeuf has many, including at least three by Explorer.
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    | > | Just got This:Windows User-interface core component accessed
    memory
    | > | improperly or encountered some nonspecific error.
    | > |
    | > | Module Name: user.exe
    | > | Version: 4.10.2222
    | > | Product: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
    | > | Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
    | > |
    | > | Application Name: Explorer.exe
    | > | Version: 4.72.3110.1
    | > | Product: Microsoft(R) Windows NT(R) Operating System
    | > | Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
    | > |
    | > | --------------------
    | > | Windows KB891711 component has altered Windows system files.
    | > |
    | > | Module Name: KB891711.EXE
    | > | Version: 4.10.2223
    | > | Product: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) Operating System
    | > | Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
    | > |
    | > | --------------------
    | > | If the Taskbar is behaving strangely, try exiting Cicero Loader.
    | > |
    | > | Module Name: CTFMON.EXE
    | > | Version: 1.00.2409.7 built by: Lab06_N
    | > | Product: Microsoft(R) Windows NT(R) Operating System
    | > | Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    | > do I
    | > ground

    | > |
    | > |

    "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >You have on the website a whole list of cause foe Kernel32 error.How do I
    >check them all?

    One at a time is the generally recommended procedure.

    > Damaged swap file
    >File allocation damage
    >Damaged password list
    >Damaged or incorrect version of the KERNEL32.DLL file
    >Damaged registry
    >Hardware, hot CPU, over clocking, broken power supply, RF noise, ground
    >bounce, or bad hard disk controller
    >BIOS settings for Wait states, RAM timing, or other BIOS settings
    >Third-party software that is damaged or incorrectly installed
    >.DLL files that are saved to the desktop
    >Non-existent or broken Temp folder
    >A control panel (.CPL) file is damaged
    >Incorrect or damaged hardware driver
    >Incorrectly installed printer drivers or HP Jetadmin drivers
    >Damaged Java Machine
    >Damaged .LOG files
    >Damaged entries in the History folder
    >Incompatible or damaged dynamic link library files
    >Viruses
    >Damaged or incorrect MSINFO32.EXE file
    >Low disk space
    >Other problems that depend on the Kernel file

    Yup. Kernel32.dll is the 32 bit kernel or "heart and soul" of
    Windows. It is involved in virtually every task or function that runs
    on the computer so whenever something else messes up in some way it is
    quite likely that kernel32.dll will be adversely affected by this.

    The general format of the type of error message that you are getting
    is:

    address>).

    And kernel32.dll is a favorite victim for these errors, for the
    reasons stated above.

    Try Richard Harpers checklist steps, in the sequence listed, then try
    the fix in the "another solution" section.

    If the problem is still unresolved then it is largely a matter of
    trial and error, eliminating possible causes one at a time until there
    is only a single possible suspect left. At that point the single
    remaining suspect has to be the culprit. Either that or the testing
    procedures were flawed.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Richard Harper has shown no indications of entering this thread.

    --
    | "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote:
    |
    | >You have on the website a whole list of cause foe Kernel32 error.How
    do I
    | >check them all?
    |
    | One at a time is the generally recommended procedure.
    |
    | > Damaged swap file
    | >File allocation damage
    | >Damaged password list
    | >Damaged or incorrect version of the KERNEL32.DLL file
    | >Damaged registry
    | >Hardware, hot CPU, over clocking, broken power supply, RF noise,
    ground
    | >bounce, or bad hard disk controller
    | >BIOS settings for Wait states, RAM timing, or other BIOS settings
    | >Third-party software that is damaged or incorrectly installed
    | >.DLL files that are saved to the desktop
    | >Non-existent or broken Temp folder
    | >A control panel (.CPL) file is damaged
    | >Incorrect or damaged hardware driver
    | >Incorrectly installed printer drivers or HP Jetadmin drivers
    | >Damaged Java Machine
    | >Damaged .LOG files
    | >Damaged entries in the History folder
    | >Incompatible or damaged dynamic link library files
    | >Viruses
    | >Damaged or incorrect MSINFO32.EXE file
    | >Low disk space
    | >Other problems that depend on the Kernel file
    |

    | Yup. Kernel32.dll is the 32 bit kernel or "heart and soul" of
    | Windows. It is involved in virtually every task or function that runs
    | on the computer so whenever something else messes up in some way it is
    | quite likely that kernel32.dll will be adversely affected by this.
    |
    | The general format of the type of error message that you are getting
    | is:

    | address>).
    |
    | And kernel32.dll is a favorite victim for these errors, for the
    | reasons stated above.
    |
    | Try Richard Harpers checklist steps, in the sequence listed, then try
    | the fix in the "another solution" section.
    |
    | If the problem is still unresolved then it is largely a matter of
    | trial and error, eliminating possible causes one at a time until there
    | is only a single possible suspect left. At that point the single
    | remaining suspect has to be the culprit. Either that or the testing
    | procedures were flawed.
    |
    | Good luck
    |

    | Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    | --
    | Microsoft MVP
    | On-Line Help Computer Service
    | http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    |
    | In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    | http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Thank you very much for your reply. The problem is that must of the problems
    possible that is listed for example/the first one "Damaged Swap Files". I
    don't know how to check if that might be the problem.
    Sol
    > "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >You have on the website a whole list of cause foe Kernel32 error.How do I
    > >check them all?
    >
    > One at a time is the generally recommended procedure.
    >
    > > Damaged swap file
    > >File allocation damage
    > >Damaged password list
    > >Damaged or incorrect version of the KERNEL32.DLL file
    > >Damaged registry
    > >Hardware, hot CPU, over clocking, broken power supply, RF noise, ground
    > >bounce, or bad hard disk controller
    > >BIOS settings for Wait states, RAM timing, or other BIOS settings
    > >Third-party software that is damaged or incorrectly installed
    > >.DLL files that are saved to the desktop
    > >Non-existent or broken Temp folder
    > >A control panel (.CPL) file is damaged
    > >Incorrect or damaged hardware driver
    > >Incorrectly installed printer drivers or HP Jetadmin drivers
    > >Damaged Java Machine
    > >Damaged .LOG files
    > >Damaged entries in the History folder
    > >Incompatible or damaged dynamic link library files
    > >Viruses
    > >Damaged or incorrect MSINFO32.EXE file
    > >Low disk space
    > >Other problems that depend on the Kernel file
    >

    > Yup. Kernel32.dll is the 32 bit kernel or "heart and soul" of
    > Windows. It is involved in virtually every task or function that runs
    > on the computer so whenever something else messes up in some way it is
    > quite likely that kernel32.dll will be adversely affected by this.
    >
    > The general format of the type of error message that you are getting
    > is:

    > address>).
    >
    > And kernel32.dll is a favorite victim for these errors, for the
    > reasons stated above.
    >
    > Try Richard Harpers checklist steps, in the sequence listed, then try
    > the fix in the "another solution" section.
    >
    > If the problem is still unresolved then it is largely a matter of
    > trial and error, eliminating possible causes one at a time until there
    > is only a single possible suspect left. At that point the single
    > remaining suspect has to be the culprit. Either that or the testing
    > procedures were flawed.
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Thank You. I noticed I have one user.exe in the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM which is
    version 4.10.2222 & one in C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS which is version
    4.10.2227.

    > Why? It opens for me. Maybe, paste it to your address bar. Anyway...
    >
    > (1) If that User.exe crash is rare, perhaps ignore it.
    > (2) My User.exe is a higher version...
    >
    > USER.EXE
    > Desc: Windows User-interface core component
    > Loc: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
    > &: C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS
    > Size: 549,760 bytes
    > Mod: Wednesday, April 19, 2000 01:02:44 PM
    > Ver: 4.10.2227
    >
    > That does seem to have been updated. If you have a copy in
    > C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS\, the folder, then... at DOS...
    >
    > COPY C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS\USER.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
    >
    > Otherwise, extract it with SFC, to start. Then, you may wish to update
    > it, perhaps with a visit to Windows Update.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q192832
    > SFC extracts wrong file
    > User.exe is one of them SFC will have trouble with, IF you are not
    > Win98SE. In that case, extract the file in DOS, or take the one in
    > "C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS", if there.
    >

    > --
    > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > should things get worse after this,
    > PCR
    > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > | can't open that link
    > |
    > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    > | > I totally defer to Martell. Tell him what you were doing at the
    > time.
    > | > One of the procedures at Eshelman's? Has the other error been fixed?
    > | > These are the things Martell is sure to want to know.
    > | >
    > | > http://www.colba.net/~hlebo49/eruser.htm#ERRUSER.EXE
    > | > Leboeuf has many, including at least three by Explorer.
    > | >

    > | > --
    > | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    > | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    > | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    > | > should things get worse after this,
    > | > PCR
    > | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    > | > "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > memory
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > error.How
    > | > do I
    > | > ground
    > settings

    > | > |
    > | > |

    (I am thinking I will defer to Richard Harper, but...) both of mine are
    ....2227. They have always been both the same, even when they were
    ....2222's. It's the one in SYSTEM that is running. Therefore, I would do
    the copy, if you are still getting that problem.

    Version ...2222 is inside WIN98_46.CAB in this Win98SE, & can always be
    recovered. Perhaps copy it to C:\Windows\Temp for an easier recovery.

    --
    | Thank You. I noticed I have one user.exe in the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
    which is
    | version 4.10.2222 & one in C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS which is version
    | 4.10.2227.

    | > Why? It opens for me. Maybe, paste it to your address bar. Anyway...
    | >
    | > (1) If that User.exe crash is rare, perhaps ignore it.
    | > (2) My User.exe is a higher version...
    | >
    | > USER.EXE
    | > Desc: Windows User-interface core component
    | > Loc: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
    | > &: C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS
    | > Size: 549,760 bytes
    | > Mod: Wednesday, April 19, 2000 01:02:44 PM
    | > Ver: 4.10.2227
    | >
    | > That does seem to have been updated. If you have a copy in
    | > C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS\, the folder, then... at DOS...
    | >
    | > COPY C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS\USER.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
    | >
    | > Otherwise, extract it with SFC, to start. Then, you may wish to
    update
    | > it, perhaps with a visit to Windows Update.
    | >
    | > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q192832
    | > SFC extracts wrong file
    | > User.exe is one of them SFC will have trouble with, IF you are not
    | > Win98SE. In that case, extract the file in DOS, or take the one in
    | > "C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS", if there.
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    | > | can't open that link
    | > |
    | > | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote in message
    | > time.

    | > memory
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    Loader.
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > error.How
    | > settings

    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    | > |
    | > |

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I have only one, it's version 2222. The .2227 version comes from the
    "Mapped Drives Shutdown" fix:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q260067/

    (I don't map drives. I physically take them and stuff them inside my
    computer. So I don't need this one. <G>)

    > (I am thinking I will defer to Richard Harper, but...) both of mine are
    > ...2227. They have always been both the same, even when they were
    > ...2222's. It's the one in SYSTEM that is running. Therefore, I would do
    > the copy, if you are still getting that problem.
    >
    > Version ...2222 is inside WIN98_46.CAB in this Win98SE, & can always be
    > recovered. Perhaps copy it to C:\Windows\Temp for an easier recovery.
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    > (I don't map drives. I physically take them and stuff them inside my
    > computer. So I don't need this one. <G>)

    A helluva picture, that, <g>.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    I see. Looking at the article you posted...

    Date Time Version Size File name Platform
    ---
    04/21/2000 11:33a 4.10.2227 55,296 User32.dll Win98 SE
    04/19/2000 04:02p 4.10.2227 549,760 User.exe Win98 SE

    ....I guess the problem could be the versions of those files don't match
    in Solkey's machine. But I hope Registry keys are not also involved.
    Here is the UN.inf...

    ........Quote...............
    ; 260067UN.INF
    ; This is the Setup information file to uninstall the Windows 98 Second
    Edition Q260067 Update:

    [version]
    AdvancedINF = 2.5, %AdvPackWarn%
    signature=$CHICAGO$
    LayoutFile=Layout.inf, Layout1.inf, Layout2.inf

    [DefaultInstall]
    CopyFiles=W98UPD.undo.SYS
    DelFiles=W98UPD.del.INF
    delreg=W98UPD.delreg
    RenFiles=W98UPD.undo.cab

    [DestinationDirs]
    ;10=Windows, 11=System, 18=Help, 24=Root
    W98UPD.undo.cab = 10,Options\Cabs
    W98UPD.del.inf = 17,QFE\%SPKey%
    W98UPD.undo.SYS = 11

    [W98UPD.undo.Cab]
    USER.qfe,USER.EXE
    user32.qfe,user32.dll

    [W98UPD.del.inf]
    260067UN.INF

    [W98UPD.undo.SYS]
    USER.EXE,,,4
    user32.dll,,,4

    [W98UPD.delreg]
    HKLM , "Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\%GUID%"

    ;qfecheck
    HKLM,%UpdateKey%\%SPKey%\%LocaleID%%UpdID%

    [Strings]
    ;Non-localizable
    LANG = "EN"
    LocaleID = "UPD"
    Guid = "{10303d00-16dc-11d4-a58a-00902766e933}"
    version = "4.10.2222"
    UpdID = "260067"
    UpdateKey = "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Updates"
    SPKey = "W98.SE"

    ;Localizable strings
    UpdName = "Windows 98 Second Edition Q260067 Update"
    AdvPackWarn = "You need a newer version of advpack.dll."
    SrcDiskName = "Q260067 Update"
    ..........EOQ.................

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | I have only one, it's version 2222. The .2227 version comes from the
    | "Mapped Drives Shutdown" fix:
    |
    | http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q260067/
    |
    | (I don't map drives. I physically take them and stuff them inside my
    | computer. So I don't need this one. <G>)
    |
    | --
    | Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] rgharper@gmail.com
    | * PLEASE post all messages and replies in the newsgroups
    | * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
    | * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
    | * HELP us help YOU ... http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    | > (I am thinking I will defer to Richard Harper, but...) both of mine
    are
    | > ...2227. They have always been both the same, even when they were
    | > ...2222's. It's the one in SYSTEM that is running. Therefore, I
    would do
    | > the copy, if you are still getting that problem.
    | >
    | > Version ...2222 is inside WIN98_46.CAB in this Win98SE, & can always
    be
    | > recovered. Perhaps copy it to C:\Windows\Temp for an easier
    recovery.

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:

    >Richard Harper has shown no indications of entering this thread.

    Richard Harpers "GENERIC KERNEL32.DLL ERROR CHECKLIST" is the first
    suggested fix on Jim Eshelman's kernel32 page, which I had previously
    referred the o.p. to.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Thank you very much for your reply. The problem is that must of the problems
    >possible that is listed for example/the first one "Damaged Swap Files". I
    >don't know how to check if that might be the problem.
    >Sol

    Boot the computer to "Command Prompt Only".
    Locate the swap file - it will either be in the root directory (C:\)
    or in C:\Windows - and delete it.

    Windows will automatically create a new one when you restart the
    computer and boot back into Windows. That will eliminate swap file
    corruption as a possible cause.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service
    http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Oops. (I could swear I went to check for that.) OK, then. I see, now, he
    is there. (Even worse, he is here!)

    --
    | "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:
    |
    | >Richard Harper has shown no indications of entering this thread.
    |
    | Richard Harpers "GENERIC KERNEL32.DLL ERROR CHECKLIST" is the first
    | suggested fix on Jim Eshelman's kernel32 page, which I had previously
    | referred the o.p. to.
    |

    | Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    | --
    | Microsoft MVP
    | On-Line Help Computer Service
    | http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    |
    | In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    | http://aumha.org/alex.htm
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    How do I locate the file and delete it I am not familiar with Dos?
    Sol
    > "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Thank you very much for your reply. The problem is that must of the
    problems
    > >possible that is listed for example/the first one "Damaged Swap Files". I
    > >don't know how to check if that might be the problem.
    > >Sol
    >
    > Boot the computer to "Command Prompt Only".
    > Locate the swap file - it will either be in the root directory (C:\)
    > or in C:\Windows - and delete it.
    >
    > Windows will automatically create a new one when you restart the
    > computer and boot back into Windows. That will eliminate swap file
    > corruption as a possible cause.
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Thank You very much. Now how about the others:
    1) Damaged swap fileFile allocation damage
    2)Damaged password list
    3)Damaged or incorrect version of the KERNEL32.DLL file
    4)Damaged registry
    5)Hardware, hot CPU, over clocking, broken power supply, RF noise, ground
    bounce, or bad hard disk controller
    6)BIOS settings for Wait states, RAM timing, or other BIOS settings
    7)Third-party software that is damaged or incorrectly installed
    8).DLL files that are saved to the desktop
    9)Non-existent or broken Temp folder
    10)A control panel (.CPL) file is damaged
    11)Incorrect or damaged hardware driver
    12)Incorrectly installed printer drivers or HP Jetadmin drivers
    13)Damaged Java Machine
    14)Damaged .LOG files
    15)Damaged entries in the History folder
    16)Incompatible or damaged dynamic link library files
    Viruses
    17)Damaged or incorrect MSINFO32.EXE file
    18)Low disk space
    19)Other problems that depend on the Kernel file?
    Sol
    > "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Thank you very much for your reply. The problem is that must of the
    problems
    > >possible that is listed for example/the first one "Damaged Swap Files". I
    > >don't know how to check if that might be the problem.
    > >Sol
    >
    > Boot the computer to "Command Prompt Only".
    > Locate the swap file - it will either be in the root directory (C:\)
    > or in C:\Windows - and delete it.
    >
    > Windows will automatically create a new one when you restart the
    > computer and boot back into Windows. That will eliminate swap file
    > corruption as a possible cause.
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Thank You very much. Now how about the others:
    1) Damaged swap fileFile allocation damage
    2)Damaged password list
    3)Damaged or incorrect version of the KERNEL32.DLL file
    4)Damaged registry
    5)Hardware, hot CPU, over clocking, broken power supply, RF noise, ground
    bounce, or bad hard disk controller
    6)BIOS settings for Wait states, RAM timing, or other BIOS settings
    7)Third-party software that is damaged or incorrectly installed
    8).DLL files that are saved to the desktop
    9)Non-existent or broken Temp folder
    10)A control panel (.CPL) file is damaged
    11)Incorrect or damaged hardware driver
    12)Incorrectly installed printer drivers or HP Jetadmin drivers
    13)Damaged Java Machine
    14)Damaged .LOG files
    15)Damaged entries in the History folder
    16)Incompatible or damaged dynamic link library files
    Viruses
    17)Damaged or incorrect MSINFO32.EXE file
    18)Low disk space
    19)Other problems that depend on the Kernel file?
    Sol
    > "Solkeys" <solkeys@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Thank you very much for your reply. The problem is that must of the
    problems
    > >possible that is listed for example/the first one "Damaged Swap Files". I
    > >don't know how to check if that might be the problem.
    > >Sol
    >
    > Boot the computer to "Command Prompt Only".
    > Locate the swap file - it will either be in the root directory (C:\)
    > or in C:\Windows - and delete it.
    >
    > Windows will automatically create a new one when you restart the
    > computer and boot back into Windows. That will eliminate swap file
    > corruption as a possible cause.
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm
  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Ron Martell wrote:
    >>Thank you very much for your reply. The problem is that must of the problems
    >>possible that is listed for example/the first one "Damaged Swap Files". I
    >>don't know how to check if that might be the problem.
    >
    > Boot the computer to "Command Prompt Only".
    > Locate the swap file - it will either be in the root directory (C:\)
    > or in C:\Windows - and delete it.
    >
    > Windows will automatically create a new one when you restart the
    > computer and boot back into Windows. That will eliminate swap file
    > corruption as a possible cause.

    Helpfull note:

    The swap file is a hidden file called "WIN386.SWP".

    You might want to unhide it in Windows before you reboot to DOS mode,
    otherwise deleting it might proove hard.

    --
    Model: INFJ
    Primary function: Coprocessor

    Yes I'm a therian: