a: (floppy) occasionally runs when not in use-how can I st..

I love you guys.But,I HATE THIS SITE ! Why has Microsoft mad this site so
difficult to navigate ?? Anyway..........Apparently,I did not exactly make
myself clear yesterday.I need to know if anyone has any suggestions on how I
can stop this from happening:
Every once in a great while
my a: (floppy disc drive) while begin spinning when there is nothing in
it.Win98se.Can anyone please explain to me how I can stop this ?

"Guitarfiend" <Guitarfiend@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I love you guys.But,I HATE THIS SITE ! Why has Microsoft mad this site so
> difficult to navigate ?? Anyway..........Apparently,I did not exactly make
> myself clear yesterday.I need to know if anyone has any suggestions on how
> can stop this from happening:
> Every once in a great while
> my a: (floppy disc drive) while begin spinning when there is nothing in
> it.Win98se.Can anyone please explain to me how I can stop this ?

You posted this question first in msnews.public.win98.performance
Look there for the answer.
If you do not take note of the NG where you post
your questions, this is not MS's fault or mine.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Don,again,I apparently did not make myself clear......I need to know if
anyone can tell me how to stop this from happening.NOT explain WHY it is
happening.

"Don Phillipson" wrote:

> "Guitarfiend" <Guitarfiend@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I love you guys.But,I HATE THIS SITE ! Why has Microsoft mad this site so
> > difficult to navigate ?? Anyway..........Apparently,I did not exactly make
> > myself clear yesterday.I need to know if anyone has any suggestions on how
> > can stop this from happening:
> > Every once in a great while
> > my a: (floppy disc drive) while begin spinning when there is nothing in
> > it.Win98se.Can anyone please explain to me how I can stop this ?
>
> You posted this question first in msnews.public.win98.performance
> Look there for the answer.
> If you do not take note of the NG where you post
> your questions, this is not MS's fault or mine.
>
> --
> Don Phillipson
> Carlsbad Springs
> (Ottawa, Canada)

"Guitarfiend" <Guitarfiend@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I love you guys.But,I HATE THIS SITE ! Why has Microsoft mad this site so
> difficult to navigate ??

Are you viewing our group using a web browser? According to your headers, you are
posting through the web interface. They are simply sending your posts to the
Microsoft newsgroups, which can be accessed directly using a newsreader, such as the
free Outlook Express, which comes with Internet Explorer. This group is:

How to set up Outlook Express (OE) as a newsreader program to access the Microsoft
forums:
http://www.rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm

http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/resources/communities.htm#setupmsnews

> Anyway..........Apparently,I did not exactly make
> myself clear yesterday.I need to know if anyone has any suggestions on how I
> can stop this from happening:

In your original post (in the win98.performance group) you did not ask how to make
it stop happening. You only asked what would cause it.

> Every once in a great while
> my a: (floppy disc drive) while begin spinning when there is nothing in
> it.Win98se.Can anyone please explain to me how I can stop this ?

Clear your recent Documents list on the Start Menu.

Turn off the option in your anti-virus to check the floppy drive.

Delete all references to A:\ in the Registry, usually found under Most Recently Used
(MRU) entries:
Click Start>Run, type scanregw and click OK.
When it asks if you want to back up the registry, click yes.
Click Start>Run, type regedit and click OK.
Click the Edit menu> Find, type in A:\ for what to look for, check the boxes for
Values and Data for where to look, and click Find. Right-click on the A:\ data
where found, and click Delete from the menu that appears.
Press F3 to continue searching, till done.
Close the Registry Editor.

Look in C:\Windows\Pif folder (or equivalent if you installed Windows to a folder of
a different name), and remove any shortcut whose target points to the A:\ or B:\
drive.
(Also posted to your original post in win98.performance)
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> "Don Phillipson" wrote:
>
> > You posted this question first in msnews.public.win98.performance
> > Look there for the answer.

> Don,again,I apparently did not make myself clear......I need to know if
> anyone can tell me how to stop this from happening.NOT explain WHY it is
> happening.

You again faiil to make yourself clear. Three posts have
offered five remedies. Have you tried a singe one of them?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

"Guitarfiend" <Guitarfiend@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I love you guys.But,I HATE THIS SITE ! Why has Microsoft mad this site so
> difficult to navigate ?? <snip>

How are you accessing this newsgroup? Are you using Microsoft's web access
"Community" area? Do you realize that you can access newsgroups using any
newsgroup readers including the Microsoft Outlook Express?

You may want to search the net for information on "usenet" or "newsgroup"
and their associated readers. I cannot not provide you much information. I
have accessed these groups through both the Microsoft "Community" area and
Outlook Express.

You need access to a news server to use the typical news reader. The
microsoft groups can be accessed through news.microsoft.com, but they are
also on most other news servers.

I hope that gives you some options.

Paul

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=216752
Floppy Disk Drive Is Active When Opening or Saving Files
Do the same for "*.pif", ESPECIALLY for any .pif in "C:\Windows\PIF".

C:\Windows\PIF\ is used to hold .pif's that Windows creates when they
cannot be put anywhere else. A .pif (shortcut to a DOS command) is
created when a DOS command is clicked to execute. Normally, the .pif
will be put into the folder of the command that is clicked. I suppose
one was clicked on the A:\drive, & Windows chose to put the .pif into
C:\Windows\PIF\-- not wanting or unable to write to A:.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"Guitarfiend" <Guitarfiend@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I love you guys.But,I HATE THIS SITE ! Why has Microsoft mad this site
so
| difficult to navigate ?? Anyway..........Apparently,I did not exactly
make
| myself clear yesterday.I need to know if anyone has any suggestions on
how I
| can stop this from happening:
| Every once in a great while
| my a: (floppy disc drive) while begin spinning when there is nothing
in
| it.Win98se.Can anyone please explain to me how I can stop this ?

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 09:45:03 -0700, "Guitarfiend"

>I love you guys.But,I HATE THIS SITE ! Why has Microsoft mad this site so
>difficult to navigate ??

Er.... this isn't a site, it's a newsgroup.

> Every once in a great while
>my a: (floppy disc drive) while begin spinning when there is nothing in
>it.Win98se.Can anyone please explain to me how I can stop this ?

copy from diskette to hard drive via Windows Explorer, work from the
hard drive, then use Windows Explorer to copy back to diskette.

Windows is too dumb to figure you won't have the same diskette
permanently in A: forever, or get annoyed by the constant
kyakanakanaka every few minutes. So it's dumb enough to track
diskette accesses in MRU (Most Recently Used) lists, etc.

All well and good, but how to clear existing references to the
diskette drive, so this nonsense stops? Start with the easy stuff;
plod through the laborious process of clearing your remembered lists
of files that you recently accessed - it's something like Start
button, Settings, Control Panel, Task Bar, somewhere in there.

Post back if the problems persist, and indicate if you are prepared to
go regediting. Thar be dragons; do be careful now

Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!