System incorrectly states type of pentium chip.

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
June 12, 2005 6:18:33 PM

I have a PIII.I have seen the chip and Belarc advisor states so. But the
system applet states there is a PII.How do I change this?
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 8:30:25 PM

Intel Pentium or Celeron CPU Identified Incorrectly:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=216204
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Joe K" <JoeK@alt.microsoft> wrote in message
> I have a PIII.I have seen the chip and Belarc advisor states so. But the
> system applet states there is a PII.How do I change this?
Anonymous
June 13, 2005 4:40:49 AM

glee wrote:
> Intel Pentium or Celeron CPU Identified Incorrectly:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=216204
I found the registry key but cannot permantly change it.Interesting is
when I change it and reboot it changes back to original.How to I change
it permantly. The key is
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Hardware\Description\System\CentralProcessor\0 under
Identifer
June 15, 2005 4:46:46 AM

> I have a PIII.I have seen the chip and Belarc advisor states so. But the
> system applet states there is a PII.How do I change this?

Is this an ego thing?
If you are happy computing with what you got,
then where's the need?

...Rex..
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 4:46:47 AM

> then where's the need?
>
> ..Rex..
Because it's my computer and I want to.So do you know how to do it or not?
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 2:04:56 PM

Joe K wrote:
> I have a PIII.I have seen the chip and Belarc advisor states so. But the
> system applet states there is a PII.How do I change this?

Yes, you can make it say P7 if you want to :)
(that is at least on W98SE you can - I've forgotten if W98FE can do it)

In your C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ ..folder, look for this file (or just do a find
files search for it)

Oeminfo.ini

Open it up and edit it to match the below information:
(..if you like the copyright symbols then just copy paste the 3 lines of
info below exactly as is..)

[Support Information]

[General]
Manufacturer= Intel® Pentium®4

Also if you wanted to could make/edit another line underneath that to
write other system info there; for instance on mine this is what it says:

[Support Information]

[General]
Manufacturer= Intel® Pentium®4
Model= 3.2c GHz 800 FSB

The only thing you cannot change there is the next lines where it says:
GenuineIntel
x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9
1021.0MB RAM
..........yours will be different than what mine says of course, but it's
those lines you cannot change since that is software formulated real-time
at boot, and so if it is wrong you cannot fix it since the dll that
formulates the information is by now (2005) missing the necessary current
calculations which at that 1998 time were not yet known..

...Anyway, at least you can make the [General] tab to say whatever pleases
your fancy.. :)

Rick
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 2:07:11 PM

ps..
...I meant to also tell you that if you don't have an Oeminfo.ini file in
that folder - then no problem just create one using notepad, and after you
save the information in it then just rename it to: Oeminfo.ini

Rick
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 11:37:23 PM

Rick Chauvin wrote:
> ps..
> ...I meant to also tell you that if you don't have an Oeminfo.ini file in
> that folder - then no problem just create one using notepad, and after you
> save the information in it then just rename it to: Oeminfo.ini
>
> Rick

Rick the additions in the oeminfo file only adds to msinfo32.exe system
info.So it states PIII but also PII is still there. The PII entry is not
in the oeminfo file.It doesn't change system applet in control panel.
I edited the registry at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Hardware\Description\System\CentralProcessor\0
at that temporly changed msinfo32.exe system info.
But when I opened system applet the registry and msinfo changed back.
The system applet must be looking at a different file. I'll figure it
out another time.
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 5:48:22 PM

> Rick the additions in the oeminfo file only adds to msinfo32.exe system

I had to re-read your post to see why you are telling me that ..and now I
see that you are using Belarc. I stopped using Belarc long ago.

I had just had assumed you were right clicking on your desktop My Computer
icon and reading what it was saying in there or on msinfo32, but to clarify
what I gave you it adds the information to your My Computer icon properties
information and the msinfo32 checker of which msinfo32 only picks up the
first line you write but MC properties has room for two. I don't use
Belarc much for my anything on my stuff so I can't advise you what they do
or where they read their info from.

> info.So it states PIII but also PII is still there. The PII entry is not
> in the oeminfo file.It doesn't change system applet in control panel.
> I edited the registry at
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Hardware\Description\System\CentralProcessor\0
> at that temporly changed msinfo32.exe system info.
> But when I opened system applet the registry and msinfo changed back.

If you enter it in where I told you already it will be Permanent not only
in msinfo32 but also where you physically look at it on the My Computer
icon's properties check. ..for instance, here's a screenshot of what mine
looks like: http://img266.echo.cx/img266/9220/mc7wl.gif

If you want proper hardware information then use something like Everest,
it's free, the zip version does not need to be installed and is a self run
application - it gives you a wealth of information not only on all aspects
of your processor, hardwares, etc, ...even a sensor tab for temperature
readings, etc, ....you will appreciate it! It works just fine on W98x
http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang...

Rick

> The system applet must be looking at a different file. I'll figure it
> out another time.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 3:55:04 AM

Rick Chauvin wrote:

>>Rick the additions in the oeminfo file only adds to msinfo32.exe system
>>

>I had to re-read your post to see why you are telling me that ..

Below is my system info and oeminfo file.
The line after compaq:Genuine... is not in the oeminfo file.So this line
in the system info is read from the registry entry at
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Hardware\Description\System\CentralProcessor\0
I can add Pentium(r) III to oeminfo file but the system properties never
changes the old Pentium(r) II entry.So there are 2 entries:p entium(r) II
and Pentium(r) III.
So there must be another location or the system properties of MY
Computer must be unchangeable by Compaq.Or maybe the MS KB at
[http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=216204] means it cannot be
changed.So I give up.

ps the Everest system info utility is great. Thanks! Take care Joe

Msinfo32.exe System info:
Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.1998
IE 5 6.0.2800.1106
Uptime: 0:00:12:14
Normal mode
On "xxxx" as "xxxx"
Compaq
GenuineIntel Pentium(r) II Processor Intel MMX(TM) Technology
320MB RAM
70% system resources free
Windows-managed swap file on drive C (1069MB free)
Available space on drive C: 1069MB of 10886MB (FAT32)
Available space on drive D: 772MB of 1989MB (FAT32)

oeminfo.ini file:
[Version]
Microsoft Windows 98
WinVer=4.10.1998

[General]
Manufacturer=Compaq
Model=Presario
SupportURL=www.compaq.com
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 2:21:49 PM

Joe K wrote:

> Below is my system info and oeminfo file.
> The line after compaq:Genuine... is not in the oeminfo file.So this line
> in the system info is read from the registry entry at
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Hardware\Description\System\CentralProcessor\0
> I can add Pentium(r) III to oeminfo file but the system properties never
> changes the old Pentium(r) II entry.So there are 2 entries:p entium(r) II
> and Pentium(r) III.
> So there must be another location or the system properties of MY
> Computer must be unchangeable by Compaq.Or maybe the MS KB at
> [http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=216204] means it cannot be
> changed.So I give up.

All that the MS link limitedly tells you is the only way to get accurate
readings is to use a third party application to see what it really is -
I've suggested for you to use Everest. Otherwise, that MS article is only
a generic explanation and workaround, but really there's no official fix
since W98x is pretty much officially retired. The information I've given
you previously is the only known workaround for what you want, although
it's limited too.

> ps the Everest system info utility is great. Thanks! Take care Joe

> Msinfo32.exe System info:
> Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.1998
> IE 5 6.0.2800.1106
> Uptime: 0:00:12:14
> Normal mode
> On "xxxx" as "xxxx"
> Compaq
> GenuineIntel Pentium(r) II Processor Intel MMX(TM) Technology
> 320MB RAM
> 70% system resources free
> Windows-managed swap file on drive C (1069MB free)
> Available space on drive C: 1069MB of 10886MB (FAT32)
> Available space on drive D: 772MB of 1989MB (FAT32)

> oeminfo.ini file:
> [Version]
> Microsoft Windows 98
> WinVer=4.10.1998
>
> [General]
> Manufacturer=Compaq
> Model=Presario
> SupportURL=www compaq.com

Okay, first of all you have W98FE and as I mentioned before I am talking
about W98SE - but even for W98FE, yes, it does work to some extent although
limited in esthetics somewhat.

I never mentioned for you to change anything in the registry because as
I've said that processor information is software rendered live upon each
boot, and so change it all you want but as you found out it gets rewritten
live on boot.

The only thing you can do on FE will render a duplicate yes, but you do
have control of that as what's listed in the first line, so, where yours
now says:

[General]
Manufacturer=Compaq
Model=Presario

Change that to say:

[General]
Manufacturer= Intel® Pentium®3
Model=Compaq Presario

Now this way on your Control Panel system applet it will now permanently
show you 'on your first line' of that prompt that you have an Intel®
Pentium®3 ..even though down further in the process it will also tell you
the mistake - but since you only have FE that's the best you can hope to
change with these issues unless you upgrade to SE.

Your msinfo32 will also permanently show you the same thing, but again at
least your first listing will be: Intel® Pentium®3 (or you can make that
say 111 instead of 3 if you want, but always keep in mind it's only that
"Manufacturer=" line that is the key for both the system applet and
msinfo32 readings, where the second line of "Model" is only good for that
system applet showing... okay

Anyway, that's the best you can do with FE unless you upgrade to SE which
gives you greater control over the oeminfo file.
(btw, when saying FE that means First Edition which means WinVer=4.10.1998)
(when saying SE that means as shown on my previous screenshot - Second
Edition 4.10.222 A)

Anyway again, this is all only purely surface esthetics for you with what
those things say, it's not a big deal but I know you want to be fussy and
so I catered to you on that, but if you use Everest then that tells the
truth no matter what.

Rick
Anonymous
June 21, 2005 12:14:41 PM

ps,

I just noticed when looking on google there is a slew of articles about the
subject too.... I was just going by my own notes before, but I see now
they have even more info out there ...isn't the web grand :)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=oeminfo.ini
!