System incorrectly states type of pentium chip.

I have a PIII.I have seen the chip and Belarc advisor states so. But the
system applet states there is a PII.How do I change this?
11 answers Last reply
More about system incorrectly states type pentium chip

    Intel Pentium or Celeron CPU Identified Incorrectly:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=216204
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    glee wrote:
    > Intel Pentium or Celeron CPU Identified Incorrectly:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=216204
    I found the registry key but cannot permantly change it.Interesting is
    when I change it and reboot it changes back to original.How to I change
    it permantly. The key is
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Hardware\Description\System\CentralProcessor\0 under
    Identifer

    > I have a PIII.I have seen the chip and Belarc advisor states so. But the
    > system applet states there is a PII.How do I change this?

    Is this an ego thing?
    If you are happy computing with what you got,
    then where's the need?

    ...Rex..

    > then where's the need?
    >
    > ..Rex..
    Because it's my computer and I want to.So do you know how to do it or not?

    Joe K wrote:
    > I have a PIII.I have seen the chip and Belarc advisor states so. But the
    > system applet states there is a PII.How do I change this?

    Yes, you can make it say P7 if you want to :)
    (that is at least on W98SE you can - I've forgotten if W98FE can do it)

    In your C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ ..folder, look for this file (or just do a find
    files search for it)

    Oeminfo.ini

    Open it up and edit it to match the below information:
    (..if you like the copyright symbols then just copy paste the 3 lines of
    info below exactly as is..)

    [Support Information]

    [General]
    Manufacturer= Intel® Pentium®4

    Also if you wanted to could make/edit another line underneath that to
    write other system info there; for instance on mine this is what it says:

    [Support Information]

    [General]
    Manufacturer= Intel® Pentium®4
    Model= 3.2c GHz 800 FSB

    The only thing you cannot change there is the next lines where it says:
    GenuineIntel
    x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9
    1021.0MB RAM
    ..........yours will be different than what mine says of course, but it's
    those lines you cannot change since that is software formulated real-time
    at boot, and so if it is wrong you cannot fix it since the dll that
    formulates the information is by now (2005) missing the necessary current
    calculations which at that 1998 time were not yet known..

    ...Anyway, at least you can make the [General] tab to say whatever pleases
    your fancy.. :)

    Rick

    ps..
    ...I meant to also tell you that if you don't have an Oeminfo.ini file in
    that folder - then no problem just create one using notepad, and after you
    save the information in it then just rename it to: Oeminfo.ini

    Rick

    Rick Chauvin wrote:
    > ps..
    > ...I meant to also tell you that if you don't have an Oeminfo.ini file in
    > that folder - then no problem just create one using notepad, and after you
    > save the information in it then just rename it to: Oeminfo.ini
    >
    > Rick

    Rick the additions in the oeminfo file only adds to msinfo32.exe system
    info.So it states PIII but also PII is still there. The PII entry is not
    in the oeminfo file.It doesn't change system applet in control panel.
    I edited the registry at
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Hardware\Description\System\CentralProcessor\0
    at that temporly changed msinfo32.exe system info.
    But when I opened system applet the registry and msinfo changed back.
    The system applet must be looking at a different file. I'll figure it
    out another time.

    > Rick the additions in the oeminfo file only adds to msinfo32.exe system

    I had to re-read your post to see why you are telling me that ..and now I
    see that you are using Belarc. I stopped using Belarc long ago.

    I had just had assumed you were right clicking on your desktop My Computer
    icon and reading what it was saying in there or on msinfo32, but to clarify
    what I gave you it adds the information to your My Computer icon properties
    information and the msinfo32 checker of which msinfo32 only picks up the
    first line you write but MC properties has room for two. I don't use
    Belarc much for my anything on my stuff so I can't advise you what they do
    or where they read their info from.

    > info.So it states PIII but also PII is still there. The PII entry is not
    > in the oeminfo file.It doesn't change system applet in control panel.
    > I edited the registry at
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Hardware\Description\System\CentralProcessor\0
    > at that temporly changed msinfo32.exe system info.
    > But when I opened system applet the registry and msinfo changed back.

    If you enter it in where I told you already it will be Permanent not only
    in msinfo32 but also where you physically look at it on the My Computer
    icon's properties check. ..for instance, here's a screenshot of what mine
    looks like: http://img266.echo.cx/img266/9220/mc7wl.gif

    If you want proper hardware information then use something like Everest,
    it's free, the zip version does not need to be installed and is a self run
    application - it gives you a wealth of information not only on all aspects
    of your processor, hardwares, etc, ...even a sensor tab for temperature
    readings, etc, ....you will appreciate it! It works just fine on W98x
    http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=1

    Rick

    Rick Chauvin wrote:

    >>Rick the additions in the oeminfo file only adds to msinfo32.exe system
    >>

    >I had to re-read your post to see why you are telling me that ..

    Below is my system info and oeminfo file.
    The line after compaq:Genuine... is not in the oeminfo file.So this line
    in the system info is read from the registry entry at
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Hardware\Description\System\CentralProcessor\0
    I can add Pentium(r) III to oeminfo file but the system properties never
    changes the old Pentium(r) II entry.So there are 2 entries:Pentium(r) II
    and Pentium(r) III.
    So there must be another location or the system properties of MY
    Computer must be unchangeable by Compaq.Or maybe the MS KB at
    [http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=216204] means it cannot be
    changed.So I give up.

    ps the Everest system info utility is great. Thanks! Take care Joe

    Msinfo32.exe System info:
    Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.1998
    IE 5 6.0.2800.1106
    Uptime: 0:00:12:14
    Normal mode
    On "xxxx" as "xxxx"
    Compaq
    GenuineIntel Pentium(r) II Processor Intel MMX(TM) Technology
    320MB RAM
    70% system resources free
    Windows-managed swap file on drive C (1069MB free)
    Available space on drive C: 1069MB of 10886MB (FAT32)
    Available space on drive D: 772MB of 1989MB (FAT32)

    oeminfo.ini file:
    [Version]
    Microsoft Windows 98
    WinVer=4.10.1998

    [General]
    Manufacturer=Compaq
    Model=Presario
    SupportURL=www.compaq.com

    Joe K wrote:

    > Below is my system info and oeminfo file.
    > The line after compaq:Genuine... is not in the oeminfo file.So this line
    > in the system info is read from the registry entry at
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Hardware\Description\System\CentralProcessor\0
    > I can add Pentium(r) III to oeminfo file but the system properties never
    > changes the old Pentium(r) II entry.So there are 2 entries:Pentium(r) II
    > and Pentium(r) III.
    > So there must be another location or the system properties of MY
    > Computer must be unchangeable by Compaq.Or maybe the MS KB at
    > [http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=216204] means it cannot be
    > changed.So I give up.

    All that the MS link limitedly tells you is the only way to get accurate
    readings is to use a third party application to see what it really is -
    I've suggested for you to use Everest. Otherwise, that MS article is only
    a generic explanation and workaround, but really there's no official fix
    since W98x is pretty much officially retired. The information I've given
    you previously is the only known workaround for what you want, although
    it's limited too.

    > ps the Everest system info utility is great. Thanks! Take care Joe

    > Msinfo32.exe System info:
    > Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.1998
    > IE 5 6.0.2800.1106
    > Uptime: 0:00:12:14
    > Normal mode
    > On "xxxx" as "xxxx"
    > Compaq
    > GenuineIntel Pentium(r) II Processor Intel MMX(TM) Technology
    > 320MB RAM
    > 70% system resources free
    > Windows-managed swap file on drive C (1069MB free)
    > Available space on drive C: 1069MB of 10886MB (FAT32)
    > Available space on drive D: 772MB of 1989MB (FAT32)

    > oeminfo.ini file:
    > [Version]
    > Microsoft Windows 98
    > WinVer=4.10.1998
    >
    > [General]
    > Manufacturer=Compaq
    > Model=Presario
    > SupportURL=www compaq.com

    Okay, first of all you have W98FE and as I mentioned before I am talking
    about W98SE - but even for W98FE, yes, it does work to some extent although
    limited in esthetics somewhat.

    I never mentioned for you to change anything in the registry because as
    I've said that processor information is software rendered live upon each
    boot, and so change it all you want but as you found out it gets rewritten
    live on boot.

    The only thing you can do on FE will render a duplicate yes, but you do
    have control of that as what's listed in the first line, so, where yours
    now says:

    [General]
    Manufacturer=Compaq
    Model=Presario

    Change that to say:

    [General]
    Manufacturer= Intel® Pentium®3
    Model=Compaq Presario

    Now this way on your Control Panel system applet it will now permanently
    show you 'on your first line' of that prompt that you have an Intel®
    Pentium®3 ..even though down further in the process it will also tell you
    the mistake - but since you only have FE that's the best you can hope to
    change with these issues unless you upgrade to SE.

    Your msinfo32 will also permanently show you the same thing, but again at
    least your first listing will be: Intel® Pentium®3 (or you can make that
    say 111 instead of 3 if you want, but always keep in mind it's only that
    "Manufacturer=" line that is the key for both the system applet and
    msinfo32 readings, where the second line of "Model" is only good for that
    system applet showing... okay

    Anyway, that's the best you can do with FE unless you upgrade to SE which
    gives you greater control over the oeminfo file.
    (btw, when saying FE that means First Edition which means WinVer=4.10.1998)
    (when saying SE that means as shown on my previous screenshot - Second
    Edition 4.10.222 A)

    Anyway again, this is all only purely surface esthetics for you with what
    those things say, it's not a big deal but I know you want to be fussy and
    so I catered to you on that, but if you use Everest then that tells the
    truth no matter what.

    Rick

    ps,

    I just noticed when looking on google there is a slew of articles about the
    subject too.... I was just going by my own notes before, but I see now
    they have even more info out there ...isn't the web grand :)

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=oeminfo.ini

Pentium Chip Microsoft Windows