Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

T-Mobile - Free GPRS?

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
October 28, 2004 11:28:20 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

Could someone please clarify T-Mobile's policy on GPRS access?

I've been told that wap.voicestream.com provides unlimited free
Internet access for ports 80, 25 and 113, only. Essentially meaning
that you can send & retrieve POP email, and surf unsecured web pages.

The subscription services gives you access to
internet[x].voicestream.com which has no port restrictions; meaning
you can access VPN networks, secure web sites and IMAP servers.

Indeed, with my (non Internet) $20 per month T-Mobile account and my
h6315, I've been able to use wap.voicestream.com in the fashion I
described.

Is this a matter of policy, or an oversight on T-Mobile's part?

A_C

More about : mobile free gprs

Anonymous
October 28, 2004 3:01:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

From what I've been reading online wap.voicestream.net on the 6315 gets
access to everything. That's what I have on my 6315 but when I connect to
my work vpn I need to use internet3 because wap gives me a 10.x.x.x ip which
is the same thing that my company's vpn is. I believe it's setup on the
6315 intentionally.

--
Eric Hicks [That_Kid] (MS-MVP Mobile Devices)

The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights...



"Agent_C" <Agent-C-hates-spam@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
news:20df5aaa.0410280628.5bd69c4b@posting.google.com...
> Could someone please clarify T-Mobile's policy on GPRS access?
>
> I've been told that wap.voicestream.com provides unlimited free
> Internet access for ports 80, 25 and 113, only. Essentially meaning
> that you can send & retrieve POP email, and surf unsecured web pages.
>
> The subscription services gives you access to
> internet[x].voicestream.com which has no port restrictions; meaning
> you can access VPN networks, secure web sites and IMAP servers.
>
> Indeed, with my (non Internet) $20 per month T-Mobile account and my
> h6315, I've been able to use wap.voicestream.com in the fashion I
> described.
>
> Is this a matter of policy, or an oversight on T-Mobile's part?
>
> A_C
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 7:51:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Trivial question as I am planning to switch from Cingular to T-mobile:

Does WAP mean it is CSD (Circuit Switched Data, 9kbps) or GPRS ?

Thanks,
John D

"Eric Hicks [MVP, Windows Mobile devices]" <e_dadu@nomospam.yahoo.com> wrote
in message news:o AEea8PvEHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> From what I've been reading online wap.voicestream.net on the 6315 gets
> access to everything. That's what I have on my 6315 but when I connect to
> my work vpn I need to use internet3 because wap gives me a 10.x.x.x ip
> which is the same thing that my company's vpn is. I believe it's setup on
> the 6315 intentionally.
>
> --
> Eric Hicks [That_Kid] (MS-MVP Mobile Devices)
>
> The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> rights...
>
>
>
> "Agent_C" <Agent-C-hates-spam@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:20df5aaa.0410280628.5bd69c4b@posting.google.com...
>> Could someone please clarify T-Mobile's policy on GPRS access?
>>
>> I've been told that wap.voicestream.com provides unlimited free
>> Internet access for ports 80, 25 and 113, only. Essentially meaning
>> that you can send & retrieve POP email, and surf unsecured web pages.
>>
>> The subscription services gives you access to
>> internet[x].voicestream.com which has no port restrictions; meaning
>> you can access VPN networks, secure web sites and IMAP servers.
>>
>> Indeed, with my (non Internet) $20 per month T-Mobile account and my
>> h6315, I've been able to use wap.voicestream.com in the fashion I
>> described.
>>
>> Is this a matter of policy, or an oversight on T-Mobile's part?
>>
>> A_C
>
>
Related resources
October 28, 2004 8:51:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 11:01:17 -0400, "Eric Hicks [MVP, Windows Mobile
devices]" <e_dadu@nomospam.yahoo.com> wrote:

>From what I've been reading online wap.voicestream.net on the 6315 gets
>access to everything. That's what I have on my 6315 but when I connect to
>my work vpn I need to use internet3 because wap gives me a 10.x.x.x ip which
>is the same thing that my company's vpn is. I believe it's setup on the
>6315 intentionally

Are you a GPRS subscriber?

A_C
Anonymous
October 28, 2004 11:24:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc,microsoft.public.pocketpc.wireless (More info?)

Yeah I have T-Mobiles Ipaq and more plan.

--
Eric Hicks [That_Kid] (MS-MVP Mobile Devices)

The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights...



"Agent_C" <Agent-C-hates-spam@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
news:vtm2o0dv382eldgqbu9kusrlqhsdjtqcfl@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 11:01:17 -0400, "Eric Hicks [MVP, Windows Mobile
> devices]" <e_dadu@nomospam.yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>From what I've been reading online wap.voicestream.net on the 6315 gets
>>access to everything. That's what I have on my 6315 but when I connect to
>>my work vpn I need to use internet3 because wap gives me a 10.x.x.x ip
>>which
>>is the same thing that my company's vpn is. I believe it's setup on the
>>6315 intentionally
>
> Are you a GPRS subscriber?
>
> A_C
>
>
October 28, 2004 11:59:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

its not CSD .... But works over a proxy on T-mobile.... kinda the old wap
technology ? Ofcourse it uses GPRS to exchange data

"John Daskin" wrote:

> Trivial question as I am planning to switch from Cingular to T-mobile:
>
> Does WAP mean it is CSD (Circuit Switched Data, 9kbps) or GPRS ?
>
> Thanks,
> John D
>
> "Eric Hicks [MVP, Windows Mobile devices]" <e_dadu@nomospam.yahoo.com> wrote
> in message news:o AEea8PvEHA.3908@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > From what I've been reading online wap.voicestream.net on the 6315 gets
> > access to everything. That's what I have on my 6315 but when I connect to
> > my work vpn I need to use internet3 because wap gives me a 10.x.x.x ip
> > which is the same thing that my company's vpn is. I believe it's setup on
> > the 6315 intentionally.
> >
> > --
> > Eric Hicks [That_Kid] (MS-MVP Mobile Devices)
> >
> > The MS-MVP Program - http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
> > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
> > rights...
> >
> >
> >
> > "Agent_C" <Agent-C-hates-spam@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message
> > news:20df5aaa.0410280628.5bd69c4b@posting.google.com...
> >> Could someone please clarify T-Mobile's policy on GPRS access?
> >>
> >> I've been told that wap.voicestream.com provides unlimited free
> >> Internet access for ports 80, 25 and 113, only. Essentially meaning
> >> that you can send & retrieve POP email, and surf unsecured web pages.
> >>
> >> The subscription services gives you access to
> >> internet[x].voicestream.com which has no port restrictions; meaning
> >> you can access VPN networks, secure web sites and IMAP servers.
> >>
> >> Indeed, with my (non Internet) $20 per month T-Mobile account and my
> >> h6315, I've been able to use wap.voicestream.com in the fashion I
> >> described.
> >>
> >> Is this a matter of policy, or an oversight on T-Mobile's part?
> >>
> >> A_C
> >
> >
>
>
>
Anonymous
October 29, 2004 3:46:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

"John Daskin" <johndoesnotlikespam@ms.com> wrote in message news:<#I8Wv$SvEHA.2016@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>...
> Trivial question as I am planning to switch from Cingular to T-mobile:
>
> Does WAP mean it is CSD (Circuit Switched Data, 9kbps) or GPRS ?
>

GPRS. T-Mo offers unlimited "WAP over GPRS" for $5/month.
Essentially it's unlimited internet- POP3 and IMAP e-mail, and web
browsing on port 80 only (no https browsing.)

For $20/month you get all ports open. I live w/the $5 plan and use
CSD and my dial-up ISP when I need to connect to secure sites.

Every now and then, when T-Mo is fiddling around, they accidentally
(?) open up free GPRS to everyone. My pre-paid T-Mo SIM had unlimited
GPRS (all ports open) for several days. It seems to have ended for me
yesterday. I suspect some similar "accident" had happened to the
original poster.
October 29, 2004 10:38:53 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

On 28 Oct 2004 23:46:27 -0700, elecconnec@aol.com (Todd Allcock)
wrote:

>It seems to have ended for me
>yesterday. I suspect some similar "accident" had happened to the
>original poster.

Yep.

A_C
!