Sign in with
Your question

Why does my computer shut off when I try to play my online game?

Last response: in Windows 7
April 17, 2011 1:38:48 PM

When I try to play City of Heroes my computer shuts off. I run on a 550w Power Supply. Windows 7 32bit...for now bout to upgrade. There is not a lot of downloads on the computer maybe 4 items. It might let me on 2 minutes, 5 minutes or up to 40 minutes yesterday ( I was really surprised). It just shuts off. I have to flip the power supply button off for a few seconds before I can turn the computer back on. I can surf the internet all day long with no problem at all, its only when I go to game.
April 17, 2011 2:09:41 PM

I need to correct it is Windows XP professional.
m
l
April 17, 2011 2:09:50 PM

I need to correct it is Windows XP professional.
m
l
Related resources
April 17, 2011 4:34:52 PM

Hiya,
Could you post your Computer Specifications? Motherboard, Graphics Card, Power Supply (brand/model/watts), Ram, OS,
Also what exactly does it do when it 'turns off' does it instantly power down and wont power back on unless you let the power go completely off for half a minute? or does it blue screen and turn off?

Something to do until you post your specs... Run a temperature Monitor program such as Hardware Monitor or Real Temp ( real temp does not support ATI graphics cards, use Hardware Monitor if you have one) and post the temperatures of your motherboard/graphics card and CPU while your computer is 'idle' and while the game is running ( alt tab out and quickly check the temperatures, or use a program with a logging feature >.>)

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Your issue could be caused by an overheating component or a power overload from your power supply
m
l
April 17, 2011 10:07:54 PM

john the swift said:
Hiya,
Could you post your Computer Specifications? Motherboard, Graphics Card, Power Supply (brand/model/watts), Ram, OS,
Also what exactly does it do when it 'turns off' does it instantly power down and wont power back on unless you let the power go completely off for half a minute? or does it blue screen and turn off?

Something to do until you post your specs... Run a temperature Monitor program such as Hardware Monitor or Real Temp ( real temp does not support ATI graphics cards, use Hardware Monitor if you have one) and post the temperatures of your motherboard/graphics card and CPU while your computer is 'idle' and while the game is running ( alt tab out and quickly check the temperatures, or use a program with a logging feature >.>)

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Your issue could be caused by an overheating component or a power overload from your power supply

It cuts off completely, no power down nothing. The game loads or is in the process and the entire computer shuts off. Asus Motherboard, M3N72-D, 550w power supply...built from a bare bones kit, 2.00 GB of Ram. Its Windows XP professional for now bout to upgrade to 7 64-bit. Im unsure of the graphics card but its built for gaming. We wiped the computer a few days ago to get rid of viruses...which we hoped would help with this but it didn't. Let me if this helps.
m
l
April 17, 2011 10:56:45 PM

My husband took the computer into Bios and checked the temp. With nothing running the motherboard was registering at 31c and the CPU was running 43c.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
April 18, 2011 12:08:28 AM

another possibility if it shuts off completely during a game it sounds like the power supply is to weak for what GPU your using in the computer. but can't be sure unless we have the full computer specs. i had the same issue with a computer years ago the computer would work all day but when i tried playing a game with heavy graphics the computer just shut off. i brought it back to where i got it and they replaced the power supply with a higher wattage
m
l
April 18, 2011 1:28:59 AM

^ exactly what i meant in my post, i had an identical issue with Call of Duty on a "properly rated power supply" / brand BUT the amps were incorrect and it kept overloading =/
I ended up upgrading my power supply and havent had the issue since.
Also again, please post your specifications. Go into your start menu, click Run type in "Dxdiag" without the quotation marks and you should be able to find out your specs from there.
OR install and run this program
http://www.piriform.com/speccy
and post the specs it gives, even in an image if need be ( screen shot )
m
l
April 18, 2011 1:37:49 AM

AMD Athlon(tm) 64X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.20 GHz, 2.00 GB of Ram....this was under My Computer in System Information. Is this what you are talking about...I dont want to download stuff, I just got rid of 10 viruses I'm not taking a chance.
m
l
April 18, 2011 1:40:16 AM

The programs i have linked are completely safe and secure.. i have them installed myself. as long as you dont click on an ad or something else on the download website it should be fine.

and what i mean is the model of the graphics card. which you can find in start-run-dxdiag.

^ this is a part of windows and not something else that you could get a virus from. click the start menu. click run. type in dxdiag and then click the display tab. this tab will contain your graphics cards information
m
l
April 18, 2011 3:08:50 AM

Ok I took pics of two things. Translation follows.

Device Name:NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS
Manufacturer NVIDIA
Chip Type: GeForce 7900 GS
DAC Type:Integrated RAMDAC
Appros. Total Memory: 256.0 MB
Current Display Mode:1680x1050(32bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor

Other info

Operating System: Windows XP professional (5.1 Build 2600)
BIOS: Pheonix Award BIOS v6.00PG

Help any?
m
l
April 18, 2011 3:22:11 AM

ok. your temperatures seem normal to me. and that card should run on a 550W power supply.

Do you have the most up to date drivers for your graphics card? is it seated properly in the motherboard? is the 6 pin power rail plugged into the graphics card?
m
l
April 18, 2011 3:28:35 AM

He replaced the Motherboard about a year ago. It wasnt immediately after this installation but more of a progression over time afterwards...it is listed also in this thread.....And he said yes all that is in. The drivers may need to be updated.
m
l
April 18, 2011 3:33:22 AM

Im updating the drivers now. If this dont work Im getting a power supply next pay day.
m
l
April 18, 2011 3:34:44 AM

I personally beleive that is the issue. as it sounds identical to one i had, do you have another power supply you can test the theory with before forking out money on a new one?

Might be a while before i post again, fixing my own computer issue ^_^ easy problem just lengthy to fx...
m
l
April 18, 2011 3:38:06 AM

No we dont. The spare is a 460, not much good if I need more juice lol. Thanks for the help and good luck with yours.
m
l
!