W98SE Shutdown

Danny

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have searched and spent quite a bit of time on W98SE not shutting down.
Had one success in that it will now restart w\o hanging up.

Screen stays on the blue windows 98 when shutting down.

Tried the patches
Tried all of Jim Eshelman's steps and other hints.

I have not tried spacing my pci cards as I have more than trying to go every
other slot.

Any other ideas, it sure would be appreciated! I will get this one,
eventually!

Thnaks in advance,

Danny

There is no cure. It's a common problem in 98.

"Danny" <Danny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have searched and spent quite a bit of time on W98SE not shutting down.
> Had one success in that it will now restart w\o hanging up.
>
> Screen stays on the blue windows 98 when shutting down.
>
> Tried the patches
> Tried all of Jim Eshelman's steps and other hints.
>
> I have not tried spacing my pci cards as I have more than trying to go
> every
> other slot.
>
> Any other ideas, it sure would be appreciated! I will get this one,
> eventually!
>
> Thnaks in advance,
>
> Danny

Without knowing a lot more about your configuration, there is little we can suggest
beyond the troubleshooter.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Danny" <Danny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have searched and spent quite a bit of time on W98SE not shutting down.
> Had one success in that it will now restart w\o hanging up.
>
> Screen stays on the blue windows 98 when shutting down.
>
> Tried the patches
> Tried all of Jim Eshelman's steps and other hints.
>
> I have not tried spacing my pci cards as I have more than trying to go every
> other slot.
>
> Any other ideas, it sure would be appreciated! I will get this one,
> eventually!
>
> Thnaks in advance,
>
> Danny

Danny

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Glen,

Thank you for the quick response. What specifics do you need?

Thanks,

Danny

"glee" wrote:

> Without knowing a lot more about your configuration, there is little we can suggest
> beyond the troubleshooter.
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> "Danny" <Danny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have searched and spent quite a bit of time on W98SE not shutting down.
> > Had one success in that it will now restart w\o hanging up.
> >
> > Screen stays on the blue windows 98 when shutting down.
> >
> > Tried the patches
> > Tried all of Jim Eshelman's steps and other hints.
> >
> > I have not tried spacing my pci cards as I have more than trying to go every
> > other slot.
> >
> > Any other ideas, it sure would be appreciated! I will get this one,
> > eventually!
> >
> > Thnaks in advance,
> >
> > Danny

"Danny" <Danny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have searched and spent quite a bit of time on W98SE not shutting down.
> Had one success in that it will now restart w\o hanging up.

And that success came about how? As Glen mentioned, much more detail is needed
and one to start with is how you achieved the successful boot.

To help others help you please read: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

Danny

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

5Brian, interesting question and the toughest for me to probably answer.

Regarding re-booting: I noticed that if a program was installed or
uninstalled (using add\rmove programs, the cpu would rebott w\o hanging up.
Had some issues with reinstalling netscape 7.2. However, the shutdown issues
were prsent prior to the Netscape issue.

Going through the 15 steps, no changes were made in order to trouble shoot,
that were not put back to the original configuration.

Rebooting properly was a result of W98SE mapped drives shutdown update
260067usa8

"Brian A." wrote:

> "Danny" <Danny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have searched and spent quite a bit of time on W98SE not shutting down.
> > Had one success in that it will now restart w\o hanging up.
>
> And that success came about how? As Glen mentioned, much more detail is needed
> and one to start with is how you achieved the successful boot.
>
> To help others help you please read: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>

> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://basconotw.mvps.org/

I'm not 100% sure, but if you are not networked and do not have any mapped
drives then the "mapped drive" patch is not needed.

Boot normally
Press ctrl+alt+del
End all running processes except for Explorer
Close outback to desktop
Reboot

If the machine does not hang on shutdown, one of the apps ended process is the
cause and you need to determine which one by selectively ending the process on
each. End the process one at a time and reboot each time until you find the one
causing the problem.

If ending processes does not go thru a clean boot and make sure that any apps
you are unaware of are not running.
Please read Clean Boot -- What it is and why you need it� by MS MVP Gary Terhune
http://grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

> 5Brian, interesting question and the toughest for me to probably answer.
>
> Regarding re-booting: I noticed that if a program was installed or
> uninstalled (using add\rmove programs, the cpu would rebott w\o hanging up.
> Had some issues with reinstalling netscape 7.2. However, the shutdown issues
> were prsent prior to the Netscape issue.
>
> Going through the 15 steps, no changes were made in order to trouble shoot,
> that were not put back to the original configuration.
>
> Rebooting properly was a result of W98SE mapped drives shutdown update
> 260067usa8
>

> "Brian A." wrote:
>
>> "Danny" <Danny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have searched and spent quite a bit of time on W98SE not shutting down.
>> > Had one success in that it will now restart w\o hanging up.
>>
>> And that success came about how? As Glen mentioned, much more detail is
>> needed
>> and one to start with is how you achieved the successful boot.
>>
>> To help others help you please read: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>

>> --
>>
>> Brian A. Sesko
>> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
>> Conflicts start where information lacks.
>> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> http://basconotw.mvps.org/

HAGGIS

"Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
> I'm not 100% sure, but if you are not networked and do not have any mapped
> drives then the "mapped drive" patch is not needed.
>
> Boot normally
> Press ctrl+alt+del
> End all running processes except for Explorer
> Close outback to desktop
> Reboot
>
> If the machine does not hang on shutdown, one of the apps ended process is
> the cause and you need to determine which one by selectively ending the
> process on each. End the process one at a time and reboot each time until
> you find the one causing the problem.
>
> If ending processes does not go thru a clean boot and make sure that any
> apps you are unaware of are not running.
> Please read Clean Boot -- What it is and why you need itâ?? by MS MVP Gary
> Terhune
> http://grystmill.com/articles/cleanboot.htm
>

> --
>
> Brian A. Sesko
> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
>

> "Danny" <Danny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> 5Brian, interesting question and the toughest for me to probably answer.
>>
>> Regarding re-booting: I noticed that if a program was installed or
>> uninstalled (using add\rmove programs, the cpu would rebott w\o hanging
>> up.
>> Had some issues with reinstalling netscape 7.2. However, the shutdown
>> issues
>> were prsent prior to the Netscape issue.
>>
>> Going through the 15 steps, no changes were made in order to trouble
>> shoot,
>> that were not put back to the original configuration.
>>
>> Rebooting properly was a result of W98SE mapped drives shutdown update
>> 260067usa8
>>

>> "Brian A." wrote:
>>
>>> "Danny" <Danny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> And that success came about how? As Glen mentioned, much more detail is
>>> needed
>>> and one to start with is how you achieved the successful boot.
>>>
>>> To help others help you please read: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>>

>>> --
>>>
>>> Brian A. Sesko
>>> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
>>> Conflicts start where information lacks.
>>> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>> http://basconotw.mvps.org/

try setting your virus scanner to "NOT" scan floppy at shutdown