Pentium D 940 - is 60c on full load too hot???

kunider

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
the titles says it all. the full load i'm talking about was during 3dmark06 cpu test

i'm overlocked at 4ghz, i have a Thermaltake silent CL-p0092 on the
cpu.

i ran prime95 for 18 hours and reports no error

thank you

spud

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
the titles says it all. the full load i'm talking about was during 3dmark06 cpu test

i'm overlocked at 4ghz, i have a Thermaltake silent CL-p0092 on the
cpu.

i ran prime95 for 18 hours and reports no error

thank you

Not overly It would be nice to see it down a few but 60c is fine.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I agree with Spud its not tooo bad mine usualy gets about 112F at its hottest but im on a Northwood CPU... The thing I like is the 98F I run at surfing and doing lite work :) Its like body temp lol

CompGeek

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2005
Good temps and a good OC. You can OC it more once you get some serious cooling. 4.5 Ghz on air for this particular chip wouldn't be out of the question.
Seems like you are doing better than the guys at AT(eh,the ones with the PD bashing propaganda). Again, for this chip anything bellow 65 or even 70 is normal and will probably not damage it.

I wonder, when did you get it? Does it have the C1 stepping?

Good job!

kunider

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
Good temps and a good OC. You can OC it more once you get some serious cooling. 4.5 Ghz on air for this particular chip wouldn't be out of the question.
Seems like you are doing better than the guys at AT(eh,the ones with the PD bashing propaganda). Again, for this chip anything bellow 65 or even 70 is normal and will probably not damage it.

I wonder, when did you get it? Does it have the C1 stepping?

Good job!

i don't know if i have that C1 stepping your talking about. i got it last week. how can i know if i have it. and what is it exactly

zarooch

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Well there is a sSpec No. written on the processor itself usually as "SL94Q" so wot u do is goto processor support and use the processor spec finder tool and u enter your sSpec No. in it and it shows you all the details related to that CPU with that particular sSpec No. so in this "SL94Q" its Core Stepping is B1... simple isn't it?

kunider

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
hum, yes this is simple, but i don't think i want to remove the fan and wipe the thermal paste.

maybe some other time

zarooch

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006
Well then look for this 'sSpec No.' on the processor box or try to find it in the documentation, guides etc woteva you got with it in the processor box... u'll find it somewhere, but according to intel's website there isn't any Pentium D processor which is at stepping C1, B1 is the latest according to there website... if someone has C1 stepping that means that intel hasn't updated there website... so first find your sSpec No. and then check it at Intel's website...

EDIT: the last five characters of your boxed cpu product order code are you sSpec No. you can find it at you processor box...

endyen

Splendid
Optimally 55c is the temp for silicon devices. Anything over that shortens the life expectantcy of the chip on a graduated scale.
That means that if you run your chip at that temp 24/7, you had better be ready to change it out by 2010.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Optimally 55c is the temp for silicon devices. Anything over that shortens the life expectantcy of the chip on a graduated scale.
That means that if you run your chip at that temp 24/7, you had better be ready to change it out by 2010.

Assuming you're still using it by then..... :lol:

Mine goes about 55c at full load but if this cpu last for about 3 years then I'm happy.

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Here what funny every Intel fanboy think it so cool overclocking. Then they cry when they have to replace there cpus after a year.

Pros of overclocking is faster computer
cons shorter life of the cpu.

kunider

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
Here what funny every Intel fanboy think it so cool overclocking. Then they cry when they have to replace there cpus after a year.

hum, i don't think it'S just intel fanboy that likes oferclocking. AMD fanboy also like to overclock like crazy. i'd have the same concern if i had an AMD.

Assuming you're still using it by then.....

Mine goes about 55c at full load but if this cpu last for about 3 years then I'm happy.

i'll probably will change it by then 8)

in case anybody is interested, i ran the Intel Processor Identification Utility and i have the following results

Type: 0
Family: F
Model: 6
Stepping: 2
Revision: F

kunider

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
i can't find that information anywhere in the utility

this is the entire text file that the utility made

Intel(R) Processor Identification Utility
Version: 2.8.20060328
Time Stamp: 2006/04/30 16:53:55
Number of processors in system: 1
Current processor: #1
Processor Name: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 940 3.20GHz
Type: 0
Family: F
Model: 6
Stepping: 2
Revision: F
L1 Instruction Cache: 12 Kµops
L1 Data Cache: 16 KB
L2 Cache: 2 MB
Packaging: LGA775
EIST: No
MMX(TM): Yes
SIMD: Yes
SIMD2: Yes
SIMD3: Yes
Enhanced Halt State: No
Execute Disable Bit: No
Hyper-Threading Technology: No
Intel(R) Extended Memory 64 Technology: Yes
Intel(R) Virtualization Technology: Yes
Expected Processor Frequency: 3.20 GHz
Reported Processor Frequency: 4.00 GHz
Expected System Bus Frequency: 800 MHz
Reported System Bus Frequency: 1001 MHz

G

Basically when some features are added or enhanced then the stepping no of a particular cpu is upgraded... hence b1 stepping is better than b0 stepping of a same processor... in your particular case D940 is b1 stepping and it doesn't includes SpeedStep, Enhanced Halt State or Thermal Monitoring 2 as mentioned on intel's website... so c1 stepping will most probably feature these important features... c1 stepping processor are due in q2 06 so lets see when they come out...

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006

Been using mine almost 3 years now OCed to the max... Im replaceing it now becouse even OCed its too slow...

TRENDING THREADS