Reinstall Win98 HELP PLEASE

Im trying to reinstall win98se but heres my problem

im transferring my old hd from my packard bell mmx machine to a amd athlon
computer as master so as newer computer has my mothers old files on it
without reinstalling everything..
Problem: When I put in the Drive and boot computer it wont boot it gives me
a error message about memory and just freezes at black/blue screen

will reinstalling help and if so where do i get a boot disk from that will
have cd rom drivers so i can boot to disk or prompt and then access cd rom to
install setup? HELP PLEASE
2 answers Last reply
More about reinstall win98 please

    Swapping a HD set as Master over to a entirely different motherboard won't work,
    the mobo/hardware drivers on your existing disk from the PB won't match. Install
    the HD as the slave, from there you can:

    Use the folders/files without loosing any apps.
    or
    Copy all important data files over to the new machines disk in a newly created
    folder, Fdisk/Format the drive and reinstall the OS. **Take note that there are
    a few details to work out if you decide to fdisk/format depending on:
    If you intend to keep the drive in the new machine
    If/what OS is already installed on the new machine
    Total Ram
    etc, etc.

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }

    "nick" <nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Im trying to reinstall win98se but heres my problem
    >
    > im transferring my old hd from my packard bell mmx machine to a amd athlon
    > computer as master so as newer computer has my mothers old files on it
    > without reinstalling everything..
    > Problem: When I put in the Drive and boot computer it wont boot it gives me
    > a error message about memory and just freezes at black/blue screen
    >
    > will reinstalling help and if so where do i get a boot disk from that will
    > have cd rom drivers so i can boot to disk or prompt and then access cd rom to
    > install setup? HELP PLEASE

    You may have to download newer Win 98 drivers for the Athlon system. I had
    much the same problem moving an installed Win98 HDD from an Athlon to an
    Intel system. I suggest placing the new drivers in a folder on the same
    partition as the Win98 files to allow easy browsing to them if Win98 Setup
    doesn't find them.

    Hope this helps.
    Larry S

    "nick" <nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Im trying to reinstall win98se but heres my problem
    >
    > im transferring my old hd from my packard bell mmx machine to a amd athlon
    > computer as master so as newer computer has my mothers old files on it
    > without reinstalling everything..
    > Problem: When I put in the Drive and boot computer it wont boot it gives
    > me
    > a error message about memory and just freezes at black/blue screen
    >
    > will reinstalling help and if so where do i get a boot disk from that will
    > have cd rom drivers so i can boot to disk or prompt and then access cd rom
    > install setup? HELP PLEASE

Computers Boot Windows