Reinstall Win98 HELP PLEASE

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
June 12, 2005 11:54:02 PM

Im trying to reinstall win98se but heres my problem

im transferring my old hd from my packard bell mmx machine to a amd athlon
computer as master so as newer computer has my mothers old files on it
without reinstalling everything..
Problem: When I put in the Drive and boot computer it wont boot it gives me
a error message about memory and just freezes at black/blue screen

will reinstalling help and if so where do i get a boot disk from that will
have cd rom drivers so i can boot to disk or prompt and then access cd rom to
install setup? HELP PLEASE

More about : reinstall win98

Anonymous
June 13, 2005 2:56:02 AM

Swapping a HD set as Master over to a entirely different motherboard won't work,
the mobo/hardware drivers on your existing disk from the PB won't match. Install
the HD as the slave, from there you can:

Use the folders/files without loosing any apps.
or
Copy all important data files over to the new machines disk in a newly created
folder, Fdisk/Format the drive and reinstall the OS. **Take note that there are
a few details to work out if you decide to fdisk/format depending on:
If you intend to keep the drive in the new machine
If/what OS is already installed on the new machine
Total Ram
etc, etc.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

"nick" <nick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Im trying to reinstall win98se but heres my problem
>
> im transferring my old hd from my packard bell mmx machine to a amd athlon
> computer as master so as newer computer has my mothers old files on it
> without reinstalling everything..
> Problem: When I put in the Drive and boot computer it wont boot it gives me
> a error message about memory and just freezes at black/blue screen
>
> will reinstalling help and if so where do i get a boot disk from that will
> have cd rom drivers so i can boot to disk or prompt and then access cd rom to
> install setup? HELP PLEASE
June 14, 2005 9:33:59 AM

You may have to download newer Win 98 drivers for the Athlon system. I had
much the same problem moving an installed Win98 HDD from an Athlon to an
Intel system. I suggest placing the new drivers in a folder on the same
partition as the Win98 files to allow easy browsing to them if Win98 Setup
doesn't find them.

Hope this helps.
Larry S

!