Thanks for Arthur Entlich's print head cleaning manual

Arthur Entlich. Thanks for your epson printer head cleaning manual.
It is very useful and now my house is having printer flooding.
3 head clogged printers are resumed normal. I now have totally 5
good printers. They are all refilled by cheapy bulk ink.
A multi purpose Brother mfc9200c printer is having clogged head also.
I'll try to use similar way to fix it.
One interesting question is bulk ink for Brother brand is hard to find.
Do you have info about this brand? Can I use epson or canon compatible
dye base ink to refill it?

LF

You are very welcome. I'm please to see another satisfied "customer"

;-)

I have not tested the procedures on either Canon or Brother printers.

A number of Canon owners tell me the cleaning formula works for them,
but I don't have enough feedback to comment on how safe it is. "Used as
directed" I have yet to have anyone report a printer failure as a result
of the manual and procedures I suggest. Very occasionally, some people
are not successful with getting things going again. Sometimes it is
impatience with doing the procedure correctly, sometimes people use the
wrong cleaners, in spite of the explicit instructions, and sometimes by
the time they get to asking me for a copy of the manual, they already
have done something I warned against, often due to following
instructions from another source, making the printhead a write off.

I have no background with Brother inks or printers. All I can suggest
is that you test the inks using the same process suggested for the Epson
3rd party inks relative to the cleaning fluid, and then keep your
fingers crossed ;-) (Of course, those fingers may be somewhat
multi-colored by the time you are done cleaning so many printers. ;-)

Art

LF wrote:

> Arthur Entlich. Thanks for your epson printer head cleaning manual.
> It is very useful and now my house is having printer flooding.
> 3 head clogged printers are resumed normal. I now have totally 5
> good printers. They are all refilled by cheapy bulk ink.
> A multi purpose Brother mfc9200c printer is having clogged head also.
> I'll try to use similar way to fix it.
> One interesting question is bulk ink for Brother brand is hard to find.
> Do you have info about this brand? Can I use epson or canon compatible
> dye base ink to refill it?
>
> LF

I'll try to follow your guides to fix the Brother all in one printer.
Your messages are always informative. I believed that printer makers
dislike you because you're affecting their selling market. 2 of my clogged
head printers was picked from the street.
Thanks again.

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:03:56 GMT, Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net>
wrote:

>wrong cleaners, in spite of the explicit instructions, and sometimes by
>the time they get to asking me for a copy of the manual, they already
>have done something I warned against, often due to following
>instructions from another source, making the printhead a write off.

Arthur,

Can you post a URL for this manual? I was unable to find a URL using
Google.

Thank you,

Maggie

There is no URL.

You simply request it via email at my email address as shows in the
header of my posts.

If it is not showing, it is as follows:

artistic(at)telus(dot)net

(at)= @
(dot)= .

Art

Lady Margeret Thatcher wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:03:56 GMT, Arthur Entlich <artistic@telus.net>
> wrote:
>

>>wrong cleaners, in spite of the explicit instructions, and sometimes by
>>the time they get to asking me for a copy of the manual, they already
>>have done something I warned against, often due to following
>>instructions from another source, making the printhead a write off.
>

> Arthur,
>
> Can you post a URL for this manual? I was unable to find a URL using
> Google.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Maggie

I just cleaned my Epson stylus photo 780. After running the nozzle
cleaning utility several times, the nozzles were not getting any
cleaner and I was just wasting ink. I had to open up the printer and
wipe excess ink off the internal parts.

First a warning: you have to be comfortable with small screwdrivers and
fiddly plastic parts.

Take out the 6 screws holding the main cover (two are hidden but you
can get at them from underneath with a long philips). Now watch the
printer do its cleaning cycle. The parts you need to wipe are the face
of the print head, the rubber wiper, and the foam ink-catching tray.
Press the button to put the head out for cartridge reloading. Now
disconnect the power. The rubber wiper can be pushed gently out and
cleaned with a tissue. The foam tray can be cleaned with a tissue, but
don't rub or you will leave bits of tissue on the foam. The print head
is more difficult. Remove the cartridges, two philips screws, the
clips that hold the cartridges, and the cover on the ribbon cable. The
head lifts out and can be cleaned with a tissue.

Reassemble, but leave off the main cover. Do a nozzle check (you will
have to feed the paper by hand).

Reassemble the main cover, and be sure the paper thickness control
lever is in place.
cheers -- Rick

DaveC

Distinguished
May 8, 2004

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 07:55:05 -0800, rgoonews@leirtech.com wrote
(in article <1108655705.464463.287360@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>):

> The print head
> is more difficult. Remove the cartridges, two philips screws, the
> clips that hold the cartridges, and the cover on the ribbon cable. The
> head lifts out and can be cleaned with a tissue.
>
> Reassemble, but leave off the main cover. Do a nozzle check (you will
> have to feed the paper by hand).

Every procedure I've read about print head removal and replacement instructs
that a complete re-alignment is required after replacement (this is not just
printing the alignment page and choosing a number, but running the
manufacturer's diagnostic and alignment software on a connected PC and
adjusting the hardware -- ie, alignment screws and levers).

DaveC
me@privacy.net
This is an invalid return address
Please reply in the news group

I know you have the best of intentions in making the suggestions you
have for cleaning your Epson printer, and i think it is very generous of
you to offer the solution you discovered. However, the approach you
took is more complex than necessary, and places the printer at greater
risk than required. It also doesn't necessarily resolve the clogging
problems some people experience.

There are less invasive methods to clean the parts you mention and the
heads, and I suggest people use those less invasive methods to protect
the printer from damage.

I offer a free manual which explains how to do this. To get one email
me at the address I use for my postings, and request the Epson Cleaning
Manual.

Art

rgoonews@leirtech.com wrote:

> I just cleaned my Epson stylus photo 780. After running the nozzle
> cleaning utility several times, the nozzles were not getting any
> cleaner and I was just wasting ink. I had to open up the printer and
> wipe excess ink off the internal parts.
>
> First a warning: you have to be comfortable with small screwdrivers and
> fiddly plastic parts.
>
> Take out the 6 screws holding the main cover (two are hidden but you
> can get at them from underneath with a long philips). Now watch the
> printer do its cleaning cycle. The parts you need to wipe are the face
> of the print head, the rubber wiper, and the foam ink-catching tray.
> Press the button to put the head out for cartridge reloading. Now
> disconnect the power. The rubber wiper can be pushed gently out and
> cleaned with a tissue. The foam tray can be cleaned with a tissue, but
> don't rub or you will leave bits of tissue on the foam. The print head
> is more difficult. Remove the cartridges, two philips screws, the
> clips that hold the cartridges, and the cover on the ribbon cable. The
> head lifts out and can be cleaned with a tissue.
>
> Reassemble, but leave off the main cover. Do a nozzle check (you will
> have to feed the paper by hand).
>
> Reassemble the main cover, and be sure the paper thickness control
> lever is in place.
> cheers -- Rick

If one is VERY careful in removing and replacing the head, one can avoid
the factory style realignment, but there is really no need to go this
far just to clean the heads and such.

Art