Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

SimpleTech 160GB HDD not being detected... very urgent...

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • External Hard Drive
  • Macintosh
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
April 30, 2006 4:18:58 AM

Friends,

My 160 GB external HDD is not being detected by either windows or MAC... usually it was just a plug and play thing... i used to plug the external hard disk, switch it on and there i could see it either on the explorer or the Finder in MAC... now its not working on both... i switched the USB 2.0 cables and confirmed tht the cable is also working... is there a way to see what is the problem... i need to get this done over the weekend...

please help and replyy as soon as possible...

Hiren

More about : simpletech 160gb hdd detected urgent

April 30, 2006 6:42:19 AM

Let me try to undertsand.

Its the the system USB ports cause tried tried two.
Its note the cable cause you tried two.

---

Power it up and listen very carefully. Does it sound different? Do you hear the "click of death".

---

If it doesn't void your waranty you can open it up, pop out the drive and test it internally with a utility.

You can also try replacing the internal data cable PATA and testing the internal power connector with a multimeter. Ren = 5v Yellow = 12 Connected to either black.

---

If its a notebook hard drive you can't test it without a special adapter. A IDE/notebook to USB 2.0 adapter sells on newegg for under $30

---

Do you need the data on the drive badly or do you need an external drive up and running in a hurry?

If the drive is bad and its a 3.5" you can pop in another 3.5" as a replacment.