Windows 98 licence

We have a hard drive with a fully legal copy of Windows 98, but we
don't have its installation disks. We also have access to another
fully legal copy of Windows 98, with the installation disks, that is
installed and used on another computer.

My brother recently have replaced the hard drive in his computer that
had Win98 without the disks, and we want to know whether it would be
legal to use the disks we have access to, to re-install Windows on the
first computer.

Jonathan

HAGGIS

"Jonathan Benedicto" <incorrect@no.server> wrote in message
> We have a hard drive with a fully legal copy of Windows 98, but we don't
> have its installation disks. We also have access to another fully legal
> copy of Windows 98, with the installation disks, that is installed and
> used on another computer.
>
> My brother recently have replaced the hard drive in his computer that had
> Win98 without the disks, and we want to know whether it would be legal to
> use the disks we have access to, to re-install Windows on the first
> computer.
>
> Jonathan

as long as the versions match...go ahead , the media is not as important as
the key :>

"Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
> as long as the versions match...go ahead , the media is not as
> important as the key :>

Do keys work with different CDs ? I didn't think that they did.

Jonathan

> "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
> > as long as the versions match...go ahead , the media is not as
> > important as the key :>
>
> Do keys work with different CDs ? I didn't think that they did.

It is standard operating procedure in most larger businesses
to use the same image on each PC.

There really is no need or desire for a large company to have
hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands
or even hundreds of thousands of CDs floating around.

It would be a logistics nightmare just to manage them.
Then there would be the security issue.

So companies just obtain enough hard copy media
to service their various locations, and purchase
license packs to cover their needs.

Then it's just a matter of keeping track
of the license requirements
and how many copies are in use at any one time,
which can be a full time job in itself.

HAGGIS

"Jonathan Benedicto" <incorrect@no.server> wrote in message
> "Haggis" <bingsnapREMOVE@THIShotmail.com> wrote in message
>> as long as the versions match...go ahead , the media is not as important
>> as the key :>
>
> Do keys work with different CDs ? I didn't think that they did.
>
> Jonathan

as long as the version is the same..I've installed win98 on 30+ plus
machines with the same CD (and key) but i kept a record of all my legit
keys in case of an audit.

I know that is not exactly the way you are supposed to do it ...but I own
the keys and I can prove it so ......

> as long as the version is the same..I've installed win98 on 30+ plus
> machines with the same CD (and key) but i kept a record of all my
> legit keys in case of an audit.
>
> I know that is not exactly the way you are supposed to do it ...but
> I own the keys and I can prove it so ......

Thank you for this info. We'll probably go this way.

Jonathan

"Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message

> It is standard operating procedure in most larger businesses
> to use the same image on each PC.
>
> There really is no need or desire for a large company to have
> hundreds, thousands, tens of thousands
> or even hundreds of thousands of CDs floating around.
>
> It would be a logistics nightmare just to manage them.
> Then there would be the security issue.
>
> So companies just obtain enough hard copy media
> to service their various locations, and purchase
> license packs to cover their needs.
>
> Then it's just a matter of keeping track
> of the license requirements
> and how many copies are in use at any one time,
> which can be a full time job in itself.

I can't imagine a company trying to keep track of a couple hundred
CD's / manuals etc. Might be a nightmare. <g>

Thank you for this info.

Jonathan

"Jonathan Benedicto" <incorrect@no.server> wrote in message
> We have a hard drive with a fully legal copy of Windows 98, but we
> don't have its installation disks. We also have access to another
> fully legal copy of Windows 98, with the installation disks, that is
> installed and used on another computer.
>
> My brother recently have replaced the hard drive in his computer that
> had Win98 without the disks, and we want to know whether it would be
> legal to use the disks we have access to, to re-install Windows on the
> first computer.
>
> Jonathan

In addition to the other replies, you can get the 'key' off your brother's old
HDD and simply use that key when you install off your cd.
http://pcsupport.about.com/cs/pctutorials/a/lostkey.htm

It is a good idea to record your product key on paper or other backup.
Also, if you copy your Windows CD to your PC, it makes it easier on you when
your PC requests that you should insert the Windows cd when you install a new
program, etc. When it does, all you have to do is point it to your 'copy' on
your PC and not have to search all over to find your actual cd.

> In addition to the other replies, you can get the 'key' off your
> brother's old
> HDD and simply use that key when you install off your cd.
> http://pcsupport.about.com/cs/pctutorials/a/lostkey.htm
> http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder.shtml

I once tried to use a different key for a Win98 install but it did not
allow the installation to continue. I think that the CD / keys are
matched.

> It is a good idea to record your product key on paper or other
> backup.
> Also, if you copy your Windows CD to your PC, it makes it easier on
> you when
> your PC requests that you should insert the Windows cd when you
> install a new
> program, etc. When it does, all you have to do is point it to your
> 'copy' on
> your PC and not have to search all over to find your actual cd.

Thank you, I would do this.

Jonathan