Removing items from start-up tray

How do you remove items from startup trays? I removed some by going
to preferences and then unchecking a box, but some do not have that
option, such as task scheduler. How would I remove that from my
system tray?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Removing-items-start-tray-ftopict545701.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1723813
5 answers Last reply
More about removing items start tray

    Are you sure you want "Task Scheduler" disabled? That is what will happen
    if you remove it from loading in the background and not showing in the
    system "startup" tray.

    To remove programs that startup with the computer and run in the background,
    go to START - RUN and type in "msconfig" (without the quotes) and press
    ENTER. Then go to the STARTUP tab and uncheck the programs you do not want
    to run at startup. (This will get most of them, but other get started by
    the WIN.INI and SYSTEM.INI files. While others get started because a startup
    is put into the "Startup" folder.)

    "WinterWind" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > How do you remove items from startup trays? I removed some by going
    > to preferences and then unchecking a box, but some do not have that
    > option, such as task scheduler. How would I remove that from my
    > system tray?

    > request
    > Topic URL:
    > http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Removing-items-start-tray-ftopict545701.html

    If you want to stop programs from loading on boot there are several ways to
    accomplish it:
    You should only use msconfig for troubleshooting problems, although it could be
    used for stubborn programs until you find a way to disable them otherwise.
    Click Start > Run, type in: msconfig and hit enter.
    Click on the Startup tab and uncheck the program you wish to disable.
    If the program adds a new second entry on reboot, then there is probably a way
    in the programs options that will disable it.

    Right click on the programs icon in the systray to see if there is an option to
    disable it from loading on boot.

    Open the program/s in question and check their options to see if they have one
    to disable it from loading on boot.

    Remove any entries from the Startup folder that you do not want to load on boot.

    Uninstall the program you don't want loading if out of other options.

    Look in Start > Run, type in: sysedit and hit enter.
    Click on the win.ini window and see if there is anything after load= or run=,
    these lines are usually blank after the =. Remove anything after the = on those
    lines if you do not want it running.

    Look in the Registry under these keys to either remove the entry or comment it
    out to disable it from loading on boot:
    Start > Run, type in: regedit and hit enter. Navigate to the following keys:
    hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run
    hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\current version\RunOnce
    hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run
    hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version\RunOnce
    hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version\RunOnceEx
    hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version\RunServices
    hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version\RunServicesOnce

    Remove the entire entry in a key by right clicking in the right pane on the
    data name in the Name column, click Delete in the popup menu, confirm deletion
    and close regedit.

    Or

    Add REM and a space to the beginning of the data string value by double
    clicking on the data name in the Name column, click once in front of the string
    value so your cursor is at the beginning of the string, type rem, press the
    space bar, click OK and close regedit.

    Always backup the registry before making any changes so that you may import the
    keys back in should anything go wrong. Haphazardly removing keys in the registry
    is very dangerous and can render your system useless. Be 100% sure of what you
    are doing and what you remove can be safely done.

    You can Backup the registry key/s while in regedit: Click on Registry on the
    menu bar while in the registry, click on "Export Registry File.". Choose a
    location, I recommend saving it to the desktop and it makes it easy to find.
    Place a check next to "Selected Branch" and give the file a memorable name,
    select save, make your changes and close out. If you have no problems after say
    2 weeks, you can delete the exported files.
    If you have problems, double click the reg file on the desktop to import/merge
    it back into the registry.

    Do Not back up the entire registry in the registry editor. Importing it back
    while in windows can be harmful to the machine. A registry backup is created
    each new calendar day a machine is booted.
    If you wish to perform a new backup of the registry after the machine has been
    booted, got to Start > Run, type in: scanregw and hit enter. You will be
    prompted that a registry has already been backed up for the day and do you wish
    to create a new one, click yes.

    More on Backing up/restoring the registry:
    How to Back Up the Registry in Windows 98 and Windows Millennium Edition
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;256419

    HOW TO: Backup, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows 95, Windows 98, and
    Windows Me
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322754

    How to Manually Restore the Windows 98/Me Registry
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;221512

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }

    "WinterWind" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > How do you remove items from startup trays? I removed some by going
    > to preferences and then unchecking a box, but some do not have that
    > option, such as task scheduler. How would I remove that from my
    > system tray?

    > Topic URL:
    > http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Removing-items-start-tray-ftopict545701.html

    To remove Task Scheduler, you have to stop *using* Task Scheduler. If you do that,
    Scheduled Tasks will not be run. If you do not have any scheduled tasks you want
    run, then do this:
    - Double-click the Task Scheduler icon, then click the Advanced menu in the Task
    Scheduler window.
    - Click the entry "Stop Using Task Scheduler", then close the window.

    For other apps, see here:

    Clean up your startup group:
    http://www.rickrogers.org/clean.htm

    Startup Programs Loading:
    http://aumha.org/a/loads.htm

    Start-ups:
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm

    Task List Programs:

    StartUps:
    http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Uncheck.htm

    StartUp List:

    Windows Startup Online Repository:
    http://www.windowsstartup.com/wso/search.php
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "WinterWind" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > How do you remove items from startup trays? I removed some by going
    > to preferences and then unchecking a box, but some do not have that
    > option, such as task scheduler. How would I remove that from my
    > system tray?

    > Topic URL:
    http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Removing-items-start-tray-ftopict545701.html
    http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1723813

    You may want to consider downloading a neat little free utility that
    will manage this for you. You can get Startup Control Panel 2.8 by
    Mike Lin at; www.mlin.net .

    Dan

    "WinterWind" wrote:
    > How do you remove items from startup trays? I removed some by
    > going to preferences and then unchecking a box, but some do
    > not have that option, such as task scheduler. How woudl I
    > remove that from my system tray?

    Thanks for the help!

    My computer now starts up much faster.

Microsoft Windows