Please help me with wire configuration

sf

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004

I am hoping my friends here can give me some advice. I'm counting on
PCR (in particular) because I know he's done extensive remodeling in
the last year.

We are building a family room (well it's a bit more extensive than
that, but the term fits) in the "basement". Since we'll be putting in
new wiring, I also want more than one outlet to plug in computers.

Currently, we use a wireless router…. but I want to connect directly
to the router because it doesn't work well in this big house
(experienced users know wireless is slower than when connected
directly to the router, plus we have other problems). So, I want to
have multiple outlets to plug in more than one computer at one time on
all 3 levels.

The "short question" is:
How do (what method/machinery) multiple computers connect to the
Internet through a single IP address using Category 5 wiring in the
home environment?

If I am not making myself clear about what is needed or if I need to
ask more questions, please clue me into what else I need to know/ask!

TIA!

Your Friend,
sf

I'm flattered but have no router experience, sorry. Probably I can get a
new socket into your wall, though, sf, & blowing just one fuse doing it!

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
"sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message

| I am hoping my friends here can give me some advice. I'm counting on
| PCR (in particular) because I know he's done extensive remodeling in
| the last year.
|
| We are building a family room (well it's a bit more extensive than
| that, but the term fits) in the "basement". Since we'll be putting in
| new wiring, I also want more than one outlet to plug in computers.
|
| Currently, we use a wireless router…. but I want to connect directly
| to the router because it doesn't work well in this big house
| (experienced users know wireless is slower than when connected
| directly to the router, plus we have other problems). So, I want to
| have multiple outlets to plug in more than one computer at one time on
| all 3 levels.
|
| The "short question" is:
| How do (what method/machinery) multiple computers connect to the
| Internet through a single IP address using Category 5 wiring in the
| home environment?
|
| If I am not making myself clear about what is needed or if I need to
| ask more questions, please clue me into what else I need to know/ask!
|
| TIA!
|
| Your Friend,
| sf

Sounds like you need a switch between the router and the PCs, especially if
the router doesn't have enough wired ports to meet your needs.

"sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I am hoping my friends here can give me some advice. I'm counting on
> PCR (in particular) because I know he's done extensive remodeling in
> the last year.
>
> We are building a family room (well it's a bit more extensive than
> that, but the term fits) in the "basement". Since we'll be putting in
> new wiring, I also want more than one outlet to plug in computers.
>
> Currently, we use a wireless router…. but I want to connect directly
> to the router because it doesn't work well in this big house
> (experienced users know wireless is slower than when connected
> directly to the router, plus we have other problems). So, I want to
> have multiple outlets to plug in more than one computer at one time on
> all 3 levels.
>
> The "short question" is:
> How do (what method/machinery) multiple computers connect to the
> Internet through a single IP address using Category 5 wiring in the
> home environment?
>
> If I am not making myself clear about what is needed or if I need to
> ask more questions, please clue me into what else I need to know/ask!
>
> TIA!
>
> Your Friend,
> sf

Not as complicated as it might first appear, sf, although I use a hub
instead of a router.
I'm on cable connected to a hub, from which I have 3 Cat5 cables to 3
separate rooms. My Desktop is permanently hooked up in my home office;
my Laptop is hooked up on a built-in desk in the Kitchen while the
third line is available in our Family room (for the Laptop) in case
one of wants to watch TV and surf at the same time. All you need is a
Ethernet PC card for each computer and you are in business.
I have set up both computers on a network so that they may communicate
with each other (printing, file sharing etc). Fairly easy to do but
also fairly easy to screw-up if you aren't paying close attention to
detail. If all is hooked up properly and you can't get the computers
to see each other, it's usually a simple configuration problem. If you
run into problems, I'd suggest you visit Carey Holzman's site and
brush up on configuration issues at the following ;
http://www.careyholzman.com/
Good Luck

Dan

sf wrote:
> I am hoping my friends here can give me some advice. I'm counting on
> PCR (in particular) because I know he's done extensive remodeling in
> the last year.
>
> We are building a family room (well it's a bit more extensive than
> that, but the term fits) in the "basement". Since we'll be putting in
> new wiring, I also want more than one outlet to plug in computers.
>
> Currently, we use a wireless router…. but I want to connect directly
> to the router because it doesn't work well in this big house
> (experienced users know wireless is slower than when connected
> directly to the router, plus we have other problems). So, I want to
> have multiple outlets to plug in more than one computer at one time on
> all 3 levels.

It sounds like you want to leave the router wherever it is now and
string a bunch of Cat 5 to the new area. If that is the case, it sure
isn't what I'd do. I'd get a new modem outlet installed in the new area
and move the modem & router to the basement. You could then hook up
other computers directly to any of the router ports with the ethernet
cable.

Now, if that was what you were planning and you want to string the Cat 5
through the basement walls to outlets you could do that too. However,
if you want to have multiple outlets for each port on the router you'd
have to find some sort of "T" or splitter so you could branch off each
Cat 5 cable from each router port to each outlet. And you'd have to do
that for each port. You'd wind up with a gang of outlets - one for each
port - in each location; naturally, you'd need to identify each outlet
in each location as to what router port they are connecting to.

Me, I'd just move the router & modem and use wireless.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=31&prid=154

If you use cable internet connection,
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=29&prid=142

For each PC,
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=30&prid=31
or,
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=30&prid=402
or, if the PCs support USB 2.0 and have an available USB 2.0 implemented
port connector,
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=30&prid=497

Notebook, laptop,
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=30&prid=29

Overkill wall multiple LAN connection outlets for the home,
http://www.twacomm.com/Info/NJ100.htm

All above are examples of what you need. I did not check for compatibilty
for Win98 for you. You will need an available irq 3, 4, 10, or 11 at the
bios level. LAN cards sharing an irq with another device can be iffy at
best. This is as viewed at the bios level, not within a Win98 environment
which can be misleading. Notebooks/.laptops are a unique animal, can be
iffy for these same and other reasons when adding hardware.

"sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I am hoping my friends here can give me some advice. I'm counting on
> PCR (in particular) because I know he's done extensive remodeling in
> the last year.
>
> We are building a family room (well it's a bit more extensive than
> that, but the term fits) in the "basement". Since we'll be putting in
> new wiring, I also want more than one outlet to plug in computers.
>
> Currently, we use a wireless router.. but I want to connect directly
> to the router because it doesn't work well in this big house
> (experienced users know wireless is slower than when connected
> directly to the router, plus we have other problems). So, I want to
> have multiple outlets to plug in more than one computer at one time on
> all 3 levels.
>
> The "short question" is:
> How do (what method/machinery) multiple computers connect to the
> Internet through a single IP address using Category 5 wiring in the
> home environment?
>
> If I am not making myself clear about what is needed or if I need to
> ask more questions, please clue me into what else I need to know/ask!
>
> TIA!
>
> Your Friend,
> sf

HAGGIS

> Sounds like you need a switch between the router and the PCs, especially
> if the router doesn't have enough wired ports to meet your needs.

> * for the benefit of all. Private mail is usually not replied to.
> * My website, such as it is ... http://rgharper.mvps.org/
>

> "sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> I am hoping my friends here can give me some advice. I'm counting on
>> PCR (in particular) because I know he's done extensive remodeling in
>> the last year.
>>
>> We are building a family room (well it's a bit more extensive than
>> that, but the term fits) in the "basement". Since we'll be putting in
>> new wiring, I also want more than one outlet to plug in computers.
>>
>> Currently, we use a wireless router.. but I want to connect directly
>> to the router because it doesn't work well in this big house
>> (experienced users know wireless is slower than when connected
>> directly to the router, plus we have other problems). So, I want to
>> have multiple outlets to plug in more than one computer at one time on
>> all 3 levels.
>>
>> The "short question" is:
>> How do (what method/machinery) multiple computers connect to the
>> Internet through a single IP address using Category 5 wiring in the
>> home environment?
>>
>> If I am not making myself clear about what is needed or if I need to
>> ask more questions, please clue me into what else I need to know/ask!
>>
>> TIA!
>>
>> Your Friend,
>> sf

this site may help you out

http://www.wildtracks.cihost.com/homewire/

sf

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 07:59:00 -0400, dadiOH wrote:

> Me, I'd just move the router & modem and use wireless.

I tried to make this clear... wireless is too weak (slow) for my
purpose. I need a to be able to connect multiple computers (4) at the
same time, which means being connected directly to the router for best
speed. That's why I'm asking about Category 5 wiring and how to
configure it.

sf

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004

:(
I had my hopes pinned on you! So, you haven't wired your new house
for computers?

I was wondering at one point if I needed a server, but the computers
don't need to share any information - they only need to access the
internet via a single IP address.

```````````````

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 01:48:59 -0400, PCR wrote:

> I'm flattered but have no router experience, sorry. Probably I can get a
> new socket into your wall, though, sf, & blowing just one fuse doing it!
>
> PCR
> pcrrcp@netzero.net
> "sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message
> |
> | I am hoping my friends here can give me some advice. I'm counting on
> | PCR (in particular) because I know he's done extensive remodeling in
> | the last year.

sf

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 07:29:58 -0400, Richard G. Harper wrote:

> Sounds like you need a switch between the router and the PCs, especially if
> the router doesn't have enough wired ports to meet your needs.

The router has enough ports for my needs. My son tells me all I need
is more of the same wire that we use now to connect computers directly
into the router. I have no idea if that's category 5 wiring, like new
homes advertise, or not.

What I DON'T want is to gerry-rig up some make shift wiring and find
out the real way to do it AFTER the walls are closed up. That would
fry me big time!

sf

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004

Thanks Dave,

We're getting somewhere now! I have a modem, a router and the
computers have a card. Let me double check: You're saying I need a
10BaseT network switch to use with category 5 wiring so that I can
connect 4 computers (which don't share information) in 4 different
areas of the house directly to the internet?

Who do I call to do this for me? So far, electricians haven't had a
clue.

TIA
BTW: the computers run from ME to XP. The Win98 died a couple of
months ago.
``````````````````````````

On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 08:27:35 -0500, Lil' Dave wrote:

> http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=31&prid=154
>
> If you use cable internet connection,
> http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=29&prid=142
>
> For each PC,
> http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=30&prid=31
> or,
> http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=30&prid=402
> or, if the PCs support USB 2.0 and have an available USB 2.0 implemented
> port connector,
> http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=30&prid=497
>
> Notebook, laptop,
> http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=34&scid=30&prid=29
>
> Overkill wall multiple LAN connection outlets for the home,
> http://www.twacomm.com/Info/NJ100.htm
>
> All above are examples of what you need. I did not check for compatibilty
> for Win98 for you. You will need an available irq 3, 4, 10, or 11 at the
> bios level. LAN cards sharing an irq with another device can be iffy at
> best. This is as viewed at the bios level, not within a Win98 environment
> which can be misleading. Notebooks/.laptops are a unique animal, can be
> iffy for these same and other reasons when adding hardware.
>
> "sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > I am hoping my friends here can give me some advice. I'm counting on
> > PCR (in particular) because I know he's done extensive remodeling in
> > the last year.
> >
> > We are building a family room (well it's a bit more extensive than
> > that, but the term fits) in the "basement". Since we'll be putting in
> > new wiring, I also want more than one outlet to plug in computers.
> >
> > Currently, we use a wireless router.. but I want to connect directly
> > to the router because it doesn't work well in this big house
> > (experienced users know wireless is slower than when connected
> > directly to the router, plus we have other problems). So, I want to
> > have multiple outlets to plug in more than one computer at one time on
> > all 3 levels.
> >
> > The "short question" is:
> > How do (what method/machinery) multiple computers connect to the
> > Internet through a single IP address using Category 5 wiring in the
> > home environment?
> >
> > If I am not making myself clear about what is needed or if I need to
> > ask more questions, please clue me into what else I need to know/ask!
> >
> > TIA!
> >
> > Your Friend,
> > sf

Yes, the cables you use now for hard connection to the router(look like large phone cables) are cat5, they can be installed like phone cables, with wall plates and short cables from walls to router/pcs

--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
_
"sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message news:eqhva19oi50an0u47ld5l0pfeq3kac8lhi@4ax.com...
| On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 07:29:58 -0400, Richard G. Harper wrote:
|
| > Sounds like you need a switch between the router and the PCs, especially if
| > the router doesn't have enough wired ports to meet your needs.
|
| The router has enough ports for my needs. My son tells me all I need
| is more of the same wire that we use now to connect computers directly
| into the router. I have no idea if that's category 5 wiring, like new
| homes advertise, or not.
|
| What I DON'T want is to gerry-rig up some make shift wiring and find
| out the real way to do it AFTER the walls are closed up. That would
| fry me big time!

Was under the impression you have 3 story house, and wanted multiple LAN
(4) connections in one room each story. What you're saying now is entirely
different.
Was also under the impression that you simply needed some idea of the
hardware required, and that you or someone else familiar was going to do the
installation including pulling the wire.

You can have 10BaseT, 100BaseT, or a 1000BaseT network for your LAN if all
the equipment supports that speed configuration. 10BaseT is usually
adequate for most people at home. You don't need a switch based on the info
you're providing now.

Many computer "nerds" are willling to configure a home LAN. Some PC shops
may come out to your home and do the same. However, pulling wire and
connecting the wire to the network outlets and mounting them to the wall is
usually not in the equation with them.

Most electricians are familiar enough with phone installations to pull that
wire and connect phone outlets and mount them on the walls. That, and cable
wiring for the house and its cable outlets. CAT5 cabling isn't that much
different than a TV type cable or telephone system in a home. Contractors
are usually resourceful enough to have available subs that can do such work,
in the event the homeowner wants such a LAN system in their home.

You can't tie directly to the internet, your ISP does that. Your cable,
ADSL, or TELCO modem communicates with your ISP.

Try this for finding the personnel you need,
http://google5-cnet.com.com/8750-9325_7-0.html?part=google5-cnet&subj=594723&tag=594723

http://www.homenethelp.com/dir/

Here is an example of what you're looking for in the Houston area,
http://www.myphonejacks.com/
If the narrow-field electricians in your area can't do the job, a telephone
or cable independent installer may be able to help you.

Once you get the wire pulled and wall jacks in place and wired, you need to
setup the network.
http://www.pcguidebook.com/homenetwork.asp
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
http://compnetworking.about.com/od/homenetworking/

sf wrote:
> Thanks Dave,
>
> We're getting somewhere now! I have a modem, a router and the
> computers have a card. Let me double check: You're saying I need a
> 10BaseT network switch to use with category 5 wiring so that I can
> connect 4 computers (which don't share information) in 4 different
> areas of the house directly to the internet?

Four different areas? Thought they were going to all be in the new
area. You will have to run wire to each area where you want a computer
to avoid using wireless.
______________

> Who do I call to do this for me? So far, electricians haven't had a
> clue.

Try a telephone installer.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

sf

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 06:22:13 -0300, AlmostBob wrote:

> Yes, the cables you use now for hard connection to the router
> (look like large phone cables) are cat5, they can be installed
> like phone cables, with wall plates and short cables from walls
> to router/pcs

Many Thanks! Simple solutions are always the best.

sf

sf

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 07:26:51 -0400, dadiOH wrote:

> sf wrote:
> > Thanks Dave,
> >
> > We're getting somewhere now! I have a modem, a router and the
> > computers have a card. Let me double check: You're saying I need a
> > 10BaseT network switch to use with category 5 wiring so that I can
> > connect 4 computers (which don't share information) in 4 different
> > areas of the house directly to the internet?
>
> Four different areas?

Yes.

> Thought they were going to all be in the new
> area. You will have to run wire to each area where you want a computer
> to avoid using wireless.

That's the plan.

> > Who do I call to do this for me? So far, electricians haven't had a
> > clue.
>
> Try a telephone installer.

Good idea... now to find one. Do you have any ideas? I don't know
anyone who does that.

sf

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 06:55:09 -0500, Lil' Dave wrote:

> Was under the impression you have 3 story house, and wanted multiple LAN
> (4) connections in one room each story.

Correct. Except it's not a LAN.

> What you're saying now is entirely different.

I never mentioned LAN, but I guess that's what you assumed.

> Was also under the impression that you simply needed some idea of the
> hardware required, and that you or someone else familiar was going to do the
> installation including pulling the wire.

I wanted to know what to do... everything - from what I need to how to
do it.

<snip>

Thanks for the information below!

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 07:26:51 -0400, dadiOH wrote:
>
>> sf wrote:
>> > Thanks Dave,
>> >
>> > We're getting somewhere now! I have a modem, a router and the
>> > computers have a card. Let me double check: You're saying I need
>> a > 10BaseT network switch to use with category 5 wiring so that I
>> can > connect 4 computers (which don't share information) in 4
>> different > areas of the house directly to the internet?
>>
>> Four different areas?
>
> Yes.
>
>> Thought they were going to all be in the new
>> area. You will have to run wire to each area where you want a
>> computer to avoid using wireless.
>
> That's the plan.

Be prepared for a cost much higher than you were probably thinking.
Fishing cable through walls all over the place isn't going to be cheap.

____________________

>> > Who do I call to do this for me? So far, electricians haven't
>> had a > clue.
>>
>> Try a telephone installer.
>
> Good idea... now to find one. Do you have any ideas? I don't know
> anyone who does that.

You might want to try the yellow pages.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

sf wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 06:55:09 -0500, Lil' Dave wrote:
>
>> Was under the impression you have 3 story house, and wanted
>> multiple LAN (4) connections in one room each story.
>
> Correct. Except it's not a LAN.

Connecting multiple computers to a single ISP is a LAN.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Better take those pins out! I know nothing of routers! I HAVE replaced a
light fixture & numerous power outlets, though. I saw a wire blow in
two. I took one shock that was hardly a tingle-- & another that did
sting a bit. Lucky, fuses are cheap. STILL, I pull them out now before
working-- now that I've seen that wire blow in two!

--

| :(
| I had my hopes pinned on you! So, you haven't wired your new house
| for computers?
|
| I was wondering at one point if I needed a server, but the computers
| don't need to share any information - they only need to access the
| internet via a single IP address.
|
| ```````````````
|
| On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 01:48:59 -0400, PCR wrote:
|
| > I'm flattered but have no router experience, sorry. Probably I can
get a
| > new socket into your wall, though, sf, & blowing just one fuse
doing it!

| > PCR
| > pcrrcp@netzero.net
| > "sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message
| > |
| > | I am hoping my friends here can give me some advice. I'm
counting on
| > | PCR (in particular) because I know he's done extensive remodeling
in
| > | the last year.

The only possible choices for network cabling are Cat5, Cat5e and Cat6. Get
Cat5e cables and you'll be all set.

"sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 07:29:58 -0400, Richard G. Harper wrote:
>
>> Sounds like you need a switch between the router and the PCs, especially
>> if
>> the router doesn't have enough wired ports to meet your needs.
>
> The router has enough ports for my needs. My son tells me all I need
> is more of the same wire that we use now to connect computers directly
> into the router. I have no idea if that's category 5 wiring, like new
> homes advertise, or not.
>
> What I DON'T want is to gerry-rig up some make shift wiring and find
> out the real way to do it AFTER the walls are closed up. That would
> fry me big time!

sf,
Running Cat5 straight through cable for your LAN (local area network) from the
router to each computer can be easy and clean if done properly. However if you
are not up to the task, hire a professional home digital systems installer to
run the cabling, they specialize from stereo/audio/theater to home security
systems controlled by computer.

To do it yourself you need to determine where each RJ45 wall plate will be
located. Start at the highest point and use interior walls, which do not have
insulation in them.
Cut a hole to accept the size of the box/cover plate in the sheetrock/stucco or
whatever approx 4-8" above the floor.
Use a 12" long 1" spade bit to drill a hole thru the bottom wall plate/subfloor.
On the floor below, measure to cut a hole in the same wall bay as the above
floor and drill a hole through the floor plate/subfloor.

Once holes are drilled down to the lowest point where the router is:
Go to the top floor and drop a weighted line down through the holes drilled.
Make sure the line is long enough to reach the bottom and have enough left over
which to tie the Cat5 cable to pull through. Always tape the line/cable
connection enough to keep it from snagging as you pull it, if you feel any
resistance, stop pulling and check each hole to determine the cause.

Once all of the cable is pulled, insert the box w/cable pulled into it, connect
the cable to the wall plates and install the wall plates.
Plug in the cable from the computer to the wall plate.
Plug the cable/s into the router or wall plates to router. See below.
Patch any wall holes not covered.

Depending on the basements ceiling and the look you want can depend on how you
run the cable. You can either run it outside the wall in a corner and hide it
with some type of covering (or not), or run it in the wall using plates.

When using Cat5 or other, it can be run at a max. distance of 100 meters (328
feet), anything longer will require either a switch or Hub between cable
lengths.

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

"sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I am hoping my friends here can give me some advice. I'm counting on
> PCR (in particular) because I know he's done extensive remodeling in
> the last year.
>
> We are building a family room (well it's a bit more extensive than
> that, but the term fits) in the "basement". Since we'll be putting in
> new wiring, I also want more than one outlet to plug in computers.
>
> Currently, we use a wireless router.. but I want to connect directly
> to the router because it doesn't work well in this big house
> (experienced users know wireless is slower than when connected
> directly to the router, plus we have other problems). So, I want to
> have multiple outlets to plug in more than one computer at one time on
> all 3 levels.
>
> The "short question" is:
> How do (what method/machinery) multiple computers connect to the
> Internet through a single IP address using Category 5 wiring in the
> home environment?
>
> If I am not making myself clear about what is needed or if I need to
> ask more questions, please clue me into what else I need to know/ask!
>
> TIA!
>
> Your Friend,
> sf

You're describing a Local Area Network. The PCs don't have to communicate
with each other. They all have to communicate with the modem or router.
You don't have to implement communication between the PCs. The hardware
setup is identical in either case.
When reading help regarding setting this up on the software side, just
filter out the part for inter-PC communications.
> [...]
> > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
> > http://compnetworking.about.com/od/homenetworking/
> >
> > <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Thanks Dave,
> > >
> > > We're getting somewhere now! I have a modem, a router and the
> > > computers have a card. Let me double check: You're saying I need a
> > > 10BaseT network switch to use with category 5 wiring so that I can
> > > connect 4 computers (which don't share information) in 4 different
> > > areas of the house directly to the internet?
> > >
> > > Who do I call to do this for me? So far, electricians haven't had a
> > > clue.
> > >
> > > TIA
> > > BTW: the computers run from ME to XP. The Win98 died a couple of
> > > months ago.
> > > ``````````````````````````
> > >
> > > On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 08:27:35 -0500, Lil' Dave wrote:

If you have any doubt of whether what you're describing is a LAN or not,
check at microsoft.public.win98.networking newsgroup.
Aside from running the cable, people ask questions as yours there all the
time.

> [...]
> > http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
> > http://compnetworking.about.com/od/homenetworking/
> >
> > <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> > "sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Thanks Dave,
> > >
> > > We're getting somewhere now! I have a modem, a router and the
> > > computers have a card. Let me double check: You're saying I need a
> > > 10BaseT network switch to use with category 5 wiring so that I can
> > > connect 4 computers (which don't share information) in 4 different
> > > areas of the house directly to the internet?
> > >
> > > Who do I call to do this for me? So far, electricians haven't had a
> > > clue.
> > >
> > > TIA
> > > BTW: the computers run from ME to XP. The Win98 died a couple of
> > > months ago.
> > > ``````````````````````````
> > >
> > > On Tue, 14 Jun 2005 08:27:35 -0500, Lil' Dave wrote:

sf

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 18:18:49 -0400, dadiOH wrote:

> Be prepared for a cost much higher than you were probably thinking.
> Fishing cable through walls all over the place isn't going to be cheap.

The walls are in the process of being build downstairs, so that area
and the main floor can be accessed easily from open space. The only
"fishing" to be done will be to the second floor and it may not be too
time consuming if all goes well. However, there is no pre-existing
path to follow, so we may have to run conduit up the side of the
building.