rundll32.exe file missing

jasp

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2005

When I try to access anything in Control Panel I get the following error
message:

Cannot find the file C:\WINDOWS\rundll32.exe (or one of its components).
Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries
are available.

Tried to extract from Windows98 CD but message came up that it could not
find this file path.

What now!

How did you try to extract the file? The correct method is to use the "Extract one
file" option of System File Checker (SFC) to extract the file from the .cab files on
the Windows CD, to the Windows folder.

Using SFC to extract a file:
http://www.rickrogers.org/sfc.htm#1pp
http://www.rickrogers.org/sfc.htm#2pp

HOW TO: Extract Original Compressed Windows Files:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;129605#5

http://service4.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001011114021106?OpenDocument&ExpandSection=2
or
http://tinyurl.com/3pyth
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"jasp" <jasp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I try to access anything in Control Panel I get the following error
> message:
>
> Cannot find the file C:\WINDOWS\rundll32.exe (or one of its components).
> Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all required libraries
> are available.
>
> Tried to extract from Windows98 CD but message came up that it could not
> find this file path.
>
> What now!

jasp

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2005

Thanks 'glee'. Your link to 'rickrogers' was most helpful.