System File Accidently Deleted

I have deleted two files from windows folder.

if*.exe
if*.ini

I can not remember the files name. after I delete it, the computer hangs. so
I reboot the pc. and the error message show some file is unavailable. and
system halted.

I have no choice. I try to boot from safemode. but is unsuccessful. then I
press F8 to go to command prompt. but I can't find the recycle bin folder.
Where is the recycle bin folder located? if found, how to restore those files
in to windows folder in DOS mode?

Remarks, I did not empty my recycle bin yet

I am so worried, Any expert here can tell me how to do that?

Thank you in advance
10 answers Last reply
More about system file accidently deleted

    Eddie wrote:
    > I have deleted two files from windows folder.
    >
    > if*.exe
    > if*.ini
    >
    > I can not remember the files name. after I delete it, the computer
    > hangs. so I reboot the pc. and the error message show some file is
    > unavailable. and system halted.
    >
    > I have no choice. I try to boot from safemode. but is unsuccessful.
    > then I press F8 to go to command prompt. but I can't find the recycle
    > bin folder. Where is the recycle bin folder located?

    From DOS...
    CD recycled

    To view contents...
    dir
    or(if there is a lot)...
    dir /p
    ________________

    > if found, how to
    > restore those files in to windows folder in DOS mode?

    From DOS...
    Copy C:\recycled\filename C:\wherever they were

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    | Copy C:\recycled\filename C:\wherever they were

    I find only three files beginning "IF", & here are their locations. The
    first is not part of Windows. The other two look important, but none is
    an .exe or an .ini...

    C:\>dir C:\IF* /s /a
    Directory of C:\Program Files\Carbon Copy Support
    IFILEXFR DLL 39,936 03-09-99 3:10a IFILEXFR.DLL

    Directory of C:\WINDOWS
    IFSHLP SYS 3,708 04-23-99 10:22p IFSHLP.SYS

    Directory of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32
    IFSMGR VXD 186,438 09-19-00 12:57p IFSMGR.VXD

    Total files listed:
    3 file(s) 230,082 bytes

    NOW... you WON'T see original file names in the DIR of Recycled. You see
    a construction, such as DCxxxx. You may identify which is which by file
    type, which does show...

    C:\>cd recycled
    C:\RECYCLED>dir /a
    Directory of C:\RECYCLED
    DESKTOP INI 65 04-17-05 11:52p desktop.ini
    DC2513 TXT 6 04-29-05 5:41p DC2513.TXT
    INFO2 1,420 05-05-05 12:46a INFO2
    DC2514 TXT 5 04-29-05 5:41p DC2514.TXT
    DC2515 TXT 7 04-29-05 5:41p DC2515.TXT
    DC2516 TXT 7 04-29-05 5:41p DC2516.TXT
    DC2519 INI 174 04-29-05 5:03p DC2519.INI
    7 file(s) 1,684 bytes

    All of mine in there are filetype "TXT". Well, to see actual file names
    & locations, "TYPE INFO2"...

    C:\RECYCLED>type info2
    ....snipping the ureadable parts...
    C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\Gunk.txt p\Gunk.txt CLED\DC2513.TXT
    C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\Gunk1.txt \Gunk1.txt LED\DC2514.TXT
    C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\Gunk2.txt \Gunk2.txt LED\DC2515.TXT
    ....snip...
    C:\RECYCLED>

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "dadiOH" <dadiOH@wherever.com> wrote in message
    | Eddie wrote:
    | > I have deleted two files from windows folder.
    | >
    | > if*.exe
    | > if*.ini
    | >
    | > I can not remember the files name. after I delete it, the computer
    | > hangs. so I reboot the pc. and the error message show some file is
    | > unavailable. and system halted.
    | >
    | > I have no choice. I try to boot from safemode. but is unsuccessful.
    | > then I press F8 to go to command prompt. but I can't find the
    recycle
    | > bin folder. Where is the recycle bin folder located?
    |
    | From DOS...
    | CD recycled
    |
    | To view contents...
    | dir
    | or(if there is a lot)...
    | dir /p
    | ________________
    |
    | > if found, how to
    | > restore those files in to windows folder in DOS mode?
    |
    | From DOS...
    | Copy C:\recycled\filename C:\wherever they were
    |
    | --
    | dadiOH
    | ____________________________
    |
    | dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    | ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
    | LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
    | Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico

    I don't believe the recycle bin is usable from DOS and since you can't
    boot into Windows using Safe mode, the only way I see you with a
    working machine is to reinstall Windows and never do things like that
    again.
    http://www.windowsreinstall.com/indexwin98.htm

    I forgot to tell you , My O/S is windows98. I am not sure the files i delete
    is a system files. Because the Trendmicro scan engine telling me that this
    two files inffected by trojan. and it can not clean. and the last step I did
    is delete this two files before the system halted.

    "PCR" wrote:

> [...]
    > | > then I press F8 to go to command prompt. but I can't find the
    > recycle
    > | > bin folder. Where is the recycle bin folder located?
    > |
    > | From DOS...
    > | CD recycled
    > |
    > | To view contents...
    > | dir
    > | or(if there is a lot)...
    > | dir /p
    > | ________________
    > |
    > | > if found, how to
    > | > restore those files in to windows folder in DOS mode?
    > |
    > | From DOS...
    > | Copy C:\recycled\filename C:\wherever they were
    > |
    > | --
    > | dadiOH
    > | ____________________________
    > |
    > | dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    > | ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
    > | LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.

    If I reinstall windows with the original cd. Will it inffect my other
    solftware and data that i have in my harddisk?

    PCR wrote:
    > I find only three files beginning "IF", & here are their locations. The
    > first is not part of Windows. The other two look important, but none is
    > an .exe or an .ini...
    >
    > C:\>dir C:\IF* /s /a
    > Directory of C:\Program Files\Carbon Copy Support
    > IFILEXFR DLL 39,936 03-09-99 3:10a IFILEXFR.DLL
    >
    > Directory of C:\WINDOWS
    > IFSHLP SYS 3,708 04-23-99 10:22p IFSHLP.SYS
    >
    > Directory of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32
    > IFSMGR VXD 186,438 09-19-00 12:57p IFSMGR.VXD
    >
    > Total files listed:
    > 3 file(s) 230,082 bytes
    >
    > NOW... you WON'T see original file names in the DIR of Recycled. You see
    > a construction, such as DCxxxx. You may identify which is which by file
    > type, which does show...

    It will be easier if you just boot to safe mode and use the SFC program
    to extract these files from your Windows installation CD into their
    directories (see above).

    --
    Model: INFJ
    Primary function: Coprocessor

    Yes I'm a therian:
    http://www.wikitherian.org

    "Who needs a soul when you
    can make other people happy?"

    Go to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and create a Windows 95
    version B boot disk. This uses DOS version 7, which is sufficient for
    extracting files. Start the computer with the boot disk, insert your
    Windows 98 CD, then type the following:

    extract /a /y /L c:\windows R:\win98\base4.cab IFSHLP.SYS

    Then remove the boot disk and restart. If this doesn't help, please
    repost with more information, including the name or names of the
    missing.files.

    Ben

    "Eddie" <Eddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AA807F32-A587-488E-BE69-EBDF42D7819F@microsoft.com...
    > I have deleted two files from windows folder.
    >
    > if*.exe
    > if*.ini
    >
    > I can not remember the files name. after I delete it, the computer hangs. so
    > I reboot the pc. and the error message show some file is unavailable. and
    > system halted.
    >
    > I have no choice. I try to boot from safemode. but is unsuccessful. then I
    > press F8 to go to command prompt. but I can't find the recycle bin folder.
    > Where is the recycle bin folder located? if found, how to restore those files
    > in to windows folder in DOS mode?
    >
    > Remarks, I did not empty my recycle bin yet
    >
    > I am so worried, Any expert here can tell me how to do that?
    >
    > Thank you in advance

    He said he can't boot to Safe Mode, either, Jure Sah.

    --
    "Jure Sah" <jure.sah@guest.arnes.si> wrote in message
    | PCR wrote:
    | > I find only three files beginning "IF", & here are their locations.
    The
    | > first is not part of Windows. The other two look important, but none
    is
    | > an .exe or an .ini...
    | >
    | > C:\>dir C:\IF* /s /a
    | > Directory of C:\Program Files\Carbon Copy Support
    | > IFILEXFR DLL 39,936 03-09-99 3:10a IFILEXFR.DLL
    | >
    | > Directory of C:\WINDOWS
    | > IFSHLP SYS 3,708 04-23-99 10:22p IFSHLP.SYS
    | >
    | > Directory of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32
    | > IFSMGR VXD 186,438 09-19-00 12:57p IFSMGR.VXD
    | >
    | > Total files listed:
    | > 3 file(s) 230,082 bytes
    | >
    | > NOW... you WON'T see original file names in the DIR of Recycled. You
    see
    | > a construction, such as DCxxxx. You may identify which is which by
    file
    | > type, which does show...
    |
    | It will be easier if you just boot to safe mode and use the SFC
    program
    | to extract these files from your Windows installation CD into their
    | directories (see above).
    |
    | --
    | Model: INFJ
    | Primary function: Coprocessor
    | Secondary function: Cluster commander
    |
    | Yes I'm a therian:
    | http://www.wikitherian.org
    |
    | "Who needs a soul when you
    | can make other people happy?"

    That's a little more complicated then, if a virus was involved. Then,
    better extract new copies, as Sah & Myers are suggesting.

    FIRST... look in INFO2 as I posted earlier & tell us which files were
    deleted & the locations they were deleted from. At a DOS prompt, try...

    TYPE C:\Recycled\Info2

    ....,& look for lines like...

    C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\Gunk1.txt \Gunk1.txt LED\DC2514.TXT

    If TYPE scrolls off the screen, you might...
    EDIT C:\Recycled\Info2

    ALT-F-X pressed separately will exit EDIT.
    TAB will navigate buttons.

    If you've inadvertently made a change, be sure not to save the file.

    --
    | I forgot to tell you , My O/S is windows98. I am not sure the files i
    delete
    | is a system files. Because the Trendmicro scan engine telling me that
    this
    | two files inffected by trojan. and it can not clean. and the last step
    I did
    | is delete this two files before the system halted.
    |
    | "PCR" wrote:
    |
    | > | Copy C:\recycled\filename C:\wherever they were
    | >
    | > I find only three files beginning "IF", & here are their locations.
    The
    | > first is not part of Windows. The other two look important, but none
    is
    | > an .exe or an .ini...
    | >
    | > C:\>dir C:\IF* /s /a
    | > Directory of C:\Program Files\Carbon Copy Support
    | > IFILEXFR DLL 39,936 03-09-99 3:10a IFILEXFR.DLL
    | >
    | > Directory of C:\WINDOWS
    | > IFSHLP SYS 3,708 04-23-99 10:22p IFSHLP.SYS
    | >
    | > Directory of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VMM32
    | > IFSMGR VXD 186,438 09-19-00 12:57p IFSMGR.VXD
    | >
    | > Total files listed:
    | > 3 file(s) 230,082 bytes
    | >
    | > NOW... you WON'T see original file names in the DIR of Recycled. You
    see
    | > a construction, such as DCxxxx. You may identify which is which by
    file
    | > type, which does show...
    | >
    | > C:\>cd recycled
    | > C:\RECYCLED>dir /a
    | > Directory of C:\RECYCLED
    | > DESKTOP INI 65 04-17-05 11:52p desktop.ini
    | > DC2513 TXT 6 04-29-05 5:41p DC2513.TXT
    | > INFO2 1,420 05-05-05 12:46a INFO2
    | > DC2514 TXT 5 04-29-05 5:41p DC2514.TXT
    | > DC2515 TXT 7 04-29-05 5:41p DC2515.TXT
    | > DC2516 TXT 7 04-29-05 5:41p DC2516.TXT
    | > DC2519 INI 174 04-29-05 5:03p DC2519.INI
    | > 7 file(s) 1,684 bytes
    | >
    | > All of mine in there are filetype "TXT". Well, to see actual file
    names
    | > & locations, "TYPE INFO2"...
    | >
    | > C:\RECYCLED>type info2
    | > ....snipping the ureadable parts...
    | > C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\Gunk.txt p\Gunk.txt CLED\DC2513.TXT
    | > C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\Gunk1.txt \Gunk1.txt LED\DC2514.TXT
    | > C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\Gunk2.txt \Gunk2.txt LED\DC2515.TXT
    | > ....snip...
    | > C:\RECYCLED>
    | >

    | > --
    | > Thanks or Good Luck,
    | > There may be humor in this post, and,
    | > Naturally, you will not sue,
    | > should things get worse after this,
    | > PCR
    | > pcrrcp@netzero.net
    | > "dadiOH" <dadiOH@wherever.com> wrote in message

    | > recycle
    | > |
    | > | From DOS...
    | > | CD recycled
    | > |
    | > | To view contents...
    | > | dir
    | > | or(if there is a lot)...
    | > | dir /p
    | > | ________________
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | From DOS...
    | > | Copy C:\recycled\filename C:\wherever they were
    | > |
    | > | --
    | > | dadiOH
    | > | ____________________________
    | > |
    | > | dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    | > | ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
    | > | LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
    | > | Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
    | > |
    | > |

    Is not working this way. I follow all the step but still can not boot up.
    Anyway thanks your help. I think I am going to reinstall the O/S.

    Thank you for introducing a new resources site (www.bootdisk.com).

    Thank you

    Regards
    Eddie

    "Ben Myers" wrote:

    > Go to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and create a Windows 95
    > version B boot disk. This uses DOS version 7, which is sufficient for
    > extracting files. Start the computer with the boot disk, insert your
    > Windows 98 CD, then type the following:
    >
    > extract /a /y /L c:\windows R:\win98\base4.cab IFSHLP.SYS
    >
    > Then remove the boot disk and restart. If this doesn't help, please
    > repost with more information, including the name or names of the
    > missing.files.
    >
    > Ben
    >
    > "Eddie" <Eddie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AA807F32-A587-488E-BE69-EBDF42D7819F@microsoft.com...
    > > I have deleted two files from windows folder.
    > >
    > > if*.exe
    > > if*.ini
    > >
    > > I can not remember the files name. after I delete it, the computer hangs. so
    > > I reboot the pc. and the error message show some file is unavailable. and
    > > system halted.
    > >
    > > I have no choice. I try to boot from safemode. but is unsuccessful. then I
    > > press F8 to go to command prompt. but I can't find the recycle bin folder.
    > > Where is the recycle bin folder located? if found, how to restore those files
    > > in to windows folder in DOS mode?
    > >
    > > Remarks, I did not empty my recycle bin yet
    > >
    > > I am so worried, Any expert here can tell me how to do that?
    > >
    > > Thank you in advance

System File Windows