Download errors with IE, registry problems?

problem:

With IE6 using "Save As" to save a download of an .exe, .jpg, gives
unexpected results.

For a .exe download, the save as, defaults to the desktop, which is ok. But
when I try to open the drop-down list for other locations, it doesn't stay
open unless I hold down the mouse button, and regardless of keeping the list
up or not, the location for the save is immediately changed to a folder on
the desktop. (it's named email, but contains no .eml--only a list of web
based email servers.)

For a .jpg download, using "Save picture," defaults to "My Pictures," which
is correct. But, trying to open the drop-down list for other locations,
again closes immediately and the save is redirected, but this time, to a CD
drive.
Then if I try to pull up the drop-down list again, the save is sent back to
the folder on the desktop.

If I do not use the drop-down, but the "up one-level" and the mouse to
select locations instead, it works fine.

It also works fine --using the drop-down list-- when I try to save a
document or html file: the drop-down stays open as it should and I can get
to the desired location through it.

Also, using "save, save as, copy" etc. within explorer works ok. IE is
messed up.

The problems began after uninstalling Ad-aware. As the unistaller was
deleting files, I say flash by several Nero files and others that shouldn't
have been touched. I reinstalled Ad-aware and all of Nero, but that didn't
help.

My active X is set to enable download. The registry value for "personal"
and others in the "Users Shell Folders" in Win...Explorer, seems to be ok.

Any ideas? (My backup file is too old. I was making a change, to prepare
the new backup just as I wanted.. Wouldn't you know this would happen, right
before I did the backup of C drive!)

thanks,
Bob T
5 answers Last reply
More about download errors registry problems

    I would give reinstalling ie6 a try although I'm sure someone else will
    suggest giving ie repair a try also.

    Copy and paste into the Run Box:
    Msinfo32
    Then click on Tools and the first item should be Internet Explorer
    Repair Tool. If you get an error running this then you must reinstall
    ie anyway so...

    To reinstall ie6 find and double click on ie6setup.exe file, choose
    Custom and check each checkbox for every item already installed. You
    may need to redownload the ie6 setup files if you didn't save them for
    just such an occasion as this.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/ie6sp1/default.mspx

    Or you may use the files found in a default named folder 'Windows
    Update Setup Files' as found on many MS and non-MS CDs. The
    reinstallation will work better if the folder and files in it are
    copied over to your hard drive first. Checking the properties of
    ie6setup.exe will show the version number to be
    6.00.2800.1106 for ie 6.00 SP1 which is the latest (last) one released.

    Any joy?

    thanks for the reply Lee.

    No Joy in Mudville, these past few weeks.

    I tried a reinstall of IE, no luck on fixing the problem.
    I am runnings SP1, latest verstion.

    Still no answers:

    Downloading from the internet, sends the downloads to their default locations.

    Dowliding a .exe, sends it to the desktop, but as soon as I click on the
    drop-down arrow, to expand the choses of where I want to place the file, it
    immediately sends me to another folder on the desktop (it does the same
    thing with download a picture--it goes, to my pictures, but as soon as I try
    the drop-down box, I am redirected--back to the desktop, and backto the
    folder of the redirected desktop.

    All other file downloads, .doc, .txt, .mht, .pdf, and on work as supposed
    to. the go to the default folder. I can click on the drop down arrow, pull
    up alternative locations and select one.

    When doing that, the drop-down, stays open and lets me scroll or whatever I
    need to do to find where I want the file to go, if it's other than the
    default.

    But when I try a .jpg, .exe, not only does clicking on the drop-down list,
    put me to a new folder, the drop-down will not stay open. It will only stay
    open if I hold down the mouse button while I scroll & select a different
    folder. If I let go, it will immediately redirect me back to the file it
    defaulted to and close down the drop-down list.

    Is all that's left, to reinstall Win98?

    It would seem to me to be a bad reg entry someplace that is causing the
    trouble?

    More ideas will be greatly apprectiated.

    Thanks,
    Bob

    "Lee" wrote:

    > I would give reinstalling ie6 a try although I'm sure someone else will
    > suggest giving ie repair a try also.
    >
    > Copy and paste into the Run Box:
    > Msinfo32
    > Then click on Tools and the first item should be Internet Explorer
    > Repair Tool. If you get an error running this then you must reinstall
    > ie anyway so...
    >
    > To reinstall ie6 find and double click on ie6setup.exe file, choose
    > Custom and check each checkbox for every item already installed. You
    > may need to redownload the ie6 setup files if you didn't save them for
    > just such an occasion as this.
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/ie6sp1/default.mspx
    >
    > Or you may use the files found in a default named folder 'Windows
    > Update Setup Files' as found on many MS and non-MS CDs. The
    > reinstallation will work better if the folder and files in it are
    > copied over to your hard drive first. Checking the properties of
    > ie6setup.exe will show the version number to be
    > 6.00.2800.1106 for ie 6.00 SP1 which is the latest (last) one released.
    >
    > Any joy?

    Next to try would be an over the top reinstalltion of Windows? See
    these first.
    http://cquirke.mvps.org/reinst.htm
    http://www.windowsreinstall.com/indexwin98.htm

    Did you ever install one of those faster download thingies or does your
    ISP support broadband speeds using a modem? I'm thinking that there
    might be some software that you are running that is causing your
    situation. It very well could be a registry setting being changed by
    the above software. I'm not well versed enough in the correct settings
    to be of any help though and not really helpful if the software is just
    going to rob the correct associations again. I believe the settings
    you may need do have to do with file associations though. All I can do
    at this point is offer an example of part of my registry to see if
    yours is the same or not?

    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
    @="exefile"
    "Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"

    and further on under exefile section then

    REGEDIT4

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile]
    "EditFlags"=hex:d8,07,00,00
    @="Application"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell]
    @=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open]
    @=""
    "EditFlags"=hex:00,00,00,00

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
    @="\"%1\" %*"

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex]
    @=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers]

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\{86F19A00-42A0-1069-A2E9-08002B30309D}]
    @=""

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers]

    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\DefaultIcon]
    @="%1"

    sunslight wrote:
    > thanks for the reply Lee.
    >
    > No Joy in Mudville, these past few weeks.
    >
    > I tried a reinstall of IE, no luck on fixing the problem.
    > I am runnings SP1, latest verstion.
    >
    > Still no answers:
    >
    > Downloading from the internet, sends the downloads to their default locations.
    >
    > Dowliding a .exe, sends it to the desktop, but as soon as I click on the
    > drop-down arrow, to expand the choses of where I want to place the file, it
    > immediately sends me to another folder on the desktop (it does the same
    > thing with download a picture--it goes, to my pictures, but as soon as I try
    > the drop-down box, I am redirected--back to the desktop, and backto the
    > folder of the redirected desktop.
    >
    > All other file downloads, .doc, .txt, .mht, .pdf, and on work as supposed
    > to. the go to the default folder. I can click on the drop down arrow, pull
    > up alternative locations and select one.
    >
    > When doing that, the drop-down, stays open and lets me scroll or whatever I
    > need to do to find where I want the file to go, if it's other than the
    > default.
    >
    > But when I try a .jpg, .exe, not only does clicking on the drop-down list,
    > put me to a new folder, the drop-down will not stay open. It will only stay
    > open if I hold down the mouse button while I scroll & select a different
    > folder. If I let go, it will immediately redirect me back to the file it
    > defaulted to and close down the drop-down list.
    >
    > Is all that's left, to reinstall Win98?
    >
    > It would seem to me to be a bad reg entry someplace that is causing the
    > trouble?
    >
    > More ideas will be greatly apprectiated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bob

    Thanks Lee,

    system not working--taking me awhile to answer.

    I checked my reg. & entries are same as your's, with the exception that I
    have an additonal Property Sheet Handler. Checking, it is the CLSID for
    WinRAR, so it's okay.

    Is there another forum under Win98 that might be better for the question of
    the download default being all screwed up?

    I guess the only things left are to try SFC everything and
    reassociate/update, then if that doesn't work it's the dreaded reinstall?

    Thanks,
    Bob

    "Lee" wrote:

> [...]
    > > to. the go to the default folder. I can click on the drop down arrow, pull
    > > up alternative locations and select one.
    > >
    > > When doing that, the drop-down, stays open and lets me scroll or whatever I
    > > need to do to find where I want the file to go, if it's other than the
    > > default.
    > >
    > > But when I try a .jpg, .exe, not only does clicking on the drop-down list,
    > > put me to a new folder, the drop-down will not stay open. It will only stay
    > > open if I hold down the mouse button while I scroll & select a different
    > > folder. If I let go, it will immediately redirect me back to the file it
    > > defaulted to and close down the drop-down list.
    > >
    > > Is all that's left, to reinstall Win98?
    > >
    > > It would seem to me to be a bad reg entry someplace that is causing the
    > > trouble?
    > >
    > > More ideas will be greatly apprectiated.

    Before you make the step of reinstalling Win98 (which may cause more
    problems than it is worth and may not cure anything if you are not
    doing a clean install).................

    I have not seen the previous parts of this thread (if any) but you
    might look at the Registry keys (if they exist) in this response:
    (read between the lines a bit as it is not a response for your exact
    problem)

    If it is only .exe files, then read on and see if this is relevant:
    You may have an invalid plugin.
    Netscape-Style Plug-ins Do Not Work After Upgrading Internet Explorer
    [Q303401]
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303401

    Remove the plugin with Regedit.exe
    Start-Run-Regedit.exe
    Navigate down to this key and remove it, after exporting it as a
    normal safety precaution.

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
    Explorer\Plugins\Extension\.exe

    If that key exists, then you will see what plugin has been installed.
    The key does not normally exist.

    If not only .exe files, try this:
    Blank Web Page with Placeholder Icon and You Cannot Save a File to
    Disk
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=kb;en-us;316537

    ....Alan
    --