Change the entry for Current User in W98SE

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
June 14, 2005 8:00:05 PM

How to change the entry for Current User in W98SE?

I am the only user and want to change an entry I made on original install
in 1997. This is not a Log On issue.

What is the registry key, etc.?
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 11:07:48 PM

Do you mean the registered owner?
hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version

In the right pane double click registered owner to change the name.
Always backup the registry before making any changes so that you may import the
keys back in should anything go wrong. Haphazardly removing keys in the registry
is very dangerous and can render your system useless. Be 100% sure of what you
are doing and what you remove can be safely done.

You can Backup the registry key/s while in regedit: Click on Registry on the
menu bar while in the registry, click on "Export Registry File.". Choose a
location, I recommend saving it to the desktop and it makes it easy to find.
Place a check next to "Selected Branch" and give the file a memorable name,
select save, make your changes and close out. If you have no problems after say
2 weeks, you can delete the exported files.
If you have problems, double click the reg file on the desktop to import/merge
it back into the registry.

Do Not back up the entire registry in the registry editor. Importing it back
while in windows can be harmful to the machine. A registry backup is created
each new calendar day a machine is booted.
If you wish to perform a new backup of the registry after the machine has been
booted, got to Start > Run, type in: scanregw and hit enter. You will be
prompted that a registry has already been backed up for the day and do you wish
to create a new one, click yes.

More on Backing up/restoring the registry:
How to Back Up the Registry in Windows 98 and Windows Millennium Edition
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;256419

HOW TO: Backup, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows 95, Windows 98, and
Windows Me
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322754

How to Manually Restore the Windows 98/Me Registry
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;221512

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

"ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:3h95raFfv2j1U1@individual.net...
> How to change the entry for Current User in W98SE?
>
> I am the only user and want to change an entry I made on original install in
> 1997. This is not a Log On issue.
>
> What is the registry key, etc.?

June 15, 2005 12:58:36 PM

Brian A. wrote:
> Do you mean the registered owner?
> hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version
>
> In the right pane double click registered owner to change the name.
> Always backup the registry before making any changes so that you may
> import the keys back in should anything go wrong. Haphazardly removing
> keys in the registry is very dangerous and can render your system
> useless. Be 100% sure of what you are doing and what you remove can be
> safely done.
>
> You can Backup the registry key/s while in regedit: Click on Registry on
> the menu bar while in the registry, click on "Export Registry File.".
> Choose a location, I recommend saving it to the desktop and it makes it
> easy to find. Place a check next to "Selected Branch" and give the file
> a memorable name, select save, make your changes and close out. If you
> have no problems after say 2 weeks, you can delete the exported files.
> If you have problems, double click the reg file on the desktop to
> import/merge it back into the registry.
>
> Do Not back up the entire registry in the registry editor. Importing it
> back while in windows can be harmful to the machine. A registry backup
> is created each new calendar day a machine is booted.
> If you wish to perform a new backup of the registry after the machine
> has been booted, got to Start > Run, type in: scanregw and hit enter.
> You will be prompted that a registry has already been backed up for the
> day and do you wish to create a new one, click yes.
>
> More on Backing up/restoring the registry:
> How to Back Up the Registry in Windows 98 and Windows Millennium Edition
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;256419
>
> HOW TO: Backup, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows 95, Windows
> 98, and Windows Me
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322754
>
> How to Manually Restore the Windows 98/Me Registry
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;221512

Brian, thanks for the data. I save it for reference.
I'm not sure if this is different, Current User is I think different.

In Tweakui Logon, I can change the logon username- this is
the only place I see what otherwise I see as Current User.

But this Logon is still my old logon, my current one is totally
differeent. If I change what Tweakui says is my logon, it shouldn't
change my actual logon?

Comment?

Mike
June 16, 2005 12:32:06 AM

In your OP you mentioned:
<quote>
This is not a Log On issue.
</quote>

And now you mention the old/current user profile logon. This is conflicting.

Let's see if I understand correctly now:

TUI shows your old user profile logon name and you want to change it to your new
logon name.

If this is correct, I will have to let some else answer if it can be done
without any loss of one users settings or app availability because I don't use
TUI.

However I can provide you with a KB article on logon which also has links for
user profile articles that may help.

*Note: If you have user profiles this will not work as stated in the article and
you will have to perform the steps in the link provided in the article for user
profiles.

How to Prevent a Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me Logon Prompt at Startup
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q152104

It has also been advised that you do not use the article Q135586, which has a
link included in the article. Its purpose is "to clear the User Name logon box
so it is blank each time you start Windows", it is not meant to prevent the
logon box from prompting you for a name/password.
Instead if you have TweakUI installed, check to make sure the "Clear Last User
At Logon" check box is not checked. Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel,
double click Tweak UI, click the Paranoia tab, if the box is checked, uncheck
it.

--

"ms" <ms@nospa.com> wrote in message news:3hb1h2Fg1dakU1@individual.net...
> Brian A. wrote:
>> Do you mean the registered owner?
>> hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\current version
>>
>> In the right pane double click registered owner to change the name.
>> Always backup the registry before making any changes so that you may import
>> the keys back in should anything go wrong. Haphazardly removing keys in the
>> registry is very dangerous and can render your system useless. Be 100% sure
>> of what you are doing and what you remove can be safely done.
>>
>> You can Backup the registry key/s while in regedit: Click on Registry on the
>> menu bar while in the registry, click on "Export Registry File.". Choose a
>> location, I recommend saving it to the desktop and it makes it easy to find.
>> Place a check next to "Selected Branch" and give the file a memorable name,
>> select save, make your changes and close out. If you have no problems after
>> say 2 weeks, you can delete the exported files.
>> If you have problems, double click the reg file on the desktop to
>> import/merge it back into the registry.
>>
>> Do Not back up the entire registry in the registry editor. Importing it back
>> while in windows can be harmful to the machine. A registry backup is created
>> each new calendar day a machine is booted.
>> If you wish to perform a new backup of the registry after the machine has
>> been booted, got to Start > Run, type in: scanregw and hit enter. You will be
>> prompted that a registry has already been backed up for the day and do you
>> wish to create a new one, click yes.
>>
>> More on Backing up/restoring the registry:
>> How to Back Up the Registry in Windows 98 and Windows Millennium Edition
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;256419
>>
>> HOW TO: Backup, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows 95, Windows 98, and
>> Windows Me
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;322754
>>
>> How to Manually Restore the Windows 98/Me Registry
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;221512
>>

> Brian, thanks for the data. I save it for reference.
> I'm not sure if this is different, Current User is I think different.
>
> In Tweakui Logon, I can change the logon username- this is
> the only place I see what otherwise I see as Current User.
>
> But this Logon is still my old logon, my current one is totally
> differeent. If I change what Tweakui says is my logon, it shouldn't
> change my actual logon?
>
> Comment?
>
> Mike
June 16, 2005 12:26:03 PM

To clarify, what I meant is- this is not a *real* logon issue, just that in
TUI in a "Logon" function, I see the same Current User name there that pops
up every so often in some utils I use.

This has nothing IMO to do with my actual logon screen (DUN), just a
Windows function, that Current username is still used by some utils, etc.
and I want to change it. My post was a concern that changing the Logon
username in TUI might cause my actual username to change. Right now, the
default shown (that I want to change) is different from my actual username.

Comment?

Mike

!