Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Sound problem

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 5:36:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Hi,

My Win98 OS used to have sound, but after I formatted the computer and
everything is new, I don’t have sound anymore.

The volume thing doesn’t even appear anymore.

How can I get the sound back? I’m not sure what soundcard I have nor
do I have the software to install it.

--
Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Sound-p...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1724776

More about : sound problem

Anonymous
June 15, 2005 5:42:55 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

Most likely you did not re-install the drivers (software) for your sound
card.
Now you will need to find out what brand/model sound card you have.
A program called Belarc Advisor (www.belarc.com) may identify you sound
card, but most likely you are going to have to open the computer, remove the
sound card and note the make and model number of the master chip.
Then do a Google search for "drivers (your sound card chip)"
Then go to the resultant web site and download the drivers.

"WinterWind" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
news:3_1724776_64b302c4363b1eb6fe5a2d78a1fbddf9@windowsforumz.com...
> Hi,
>
> My Win98 OS used to have sound, but after I formatted the computer and
> everything is new, I don't have sound anymore.
>
> The volume thing doesn't even appear anymore.
>
> How can I get the sound back? I'm not sure what soundcard I have nor
> do I have the software to install it.
>
> --
> Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
> request
> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
> Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Sound-p...
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1724776
Anonymous
June 15, 2005 6:54:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"WinterWind" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
news:3_1724776_64b302c4363b1eb6fe5a2d78a1fbddf9@windowsforumz.com...

> My Win98 OS used to have sound, but after I formatted the computer and
> everything is new, I don’t have sound anymore.
>
> The volume thing doesn’t even appear anymore.

Set in Systray via / Settings / Control Panel / Multimedia

> How can I get the sound back? I’m not sure what soundcard I have nor
> do I have the software to install it.

Get free diagnostic software from
www.belarc.com
then download drivers from the maker's web site.
If this does not work you must open the case and
read whatever writing is on the sound card.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)
Related resources
June 15, 2005 6:54:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 14:54:25 -0400, Don Phillipson wrote:
> "WinterWind" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote

> > The volume thing doesn’t even appear anymore.
>
> Set in Systray via / Settings / Control Panel / Multimedia

I don't have "multimedia" and I have the Media Edition... try Control
Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Volume Tab. Put a check in the box
next to: Place Volume Icon in the Taskbar
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 8:14:13 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"sf" <sf@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:jd71b1timsmhhj5af0c15qqbc99ssddgnl@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 14:54:25 -0400, Don Phillipson wrote:
> > "WinterWind" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote
>
> > > The volume thing doesn't even appear anymore.
> >
> > Set in Systray via / Settings / Control Panel / Multimedia
>
> I don't have "multimedia" and I have the Media Edition... try Control
> Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Volume Tab. Put a check in the box
> next to: Place Volume Icon in the Taskbar

Media Edition? That would be WinXP, no?
Control Panel> Sounds and Audio Devices? You are not looking at a Win98 system, are
you...... ;-)
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 8:19:24 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

You need to identify the sound card and then locate, download and install drivers
for that card from either the manufacturer's web site or a driver-download site.
You can download this free utility to identify the sound card and a whole lot more:
Everest Home Edition
http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang...

Identify the sound card and then post back with that info....we may be able to help
locate the driver download.

BTW....Are you viewing our group using a web browser? I noticed in your headers
that you are posting through WindowsForumz.com. Do you realise that they are simply
sending your posts to the Microsoft newsgroups, and you are unnecessarily using a
middleman?

Visit us using a newsreader at:
news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
to avoid the middleman - ADVERTISEMENT-FREE!

How to set up Outlook Express (OE) as a newsreader program to access the Microsoft
forums:
http://www.rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewread...

http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/resources/communities.ht...
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...


"WinterWind" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
news:3_1724776_64b302c4363b1eb6fe5a2d78a1fbddf9@windowsforumz.com...
> Hi,
>
> My Win98 OS used to have sound, but after I formatted the computer and
> everything is new, I don't have sound anymore.
>
> The volume thing doesn't even appear anymore.
>
> How can I get the sound back? I'm not sure what soundcard I have nor
> do I have the software to install it.
>
> --
> Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
> Topic URL:
http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Sound-p...
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1724776
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 7:37:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"glee1" wrote:
> You need to identify the sound card and then locate, download
> and install drivers
> for that card from either the manufacturer's web site or a
> driver-download site.
> You can download this free utility to identify the sound card
> and a whole lot more:
> Everest Home Edition
> http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang...
>
> Identify the sound card and then post back with that
> info....we may be able to help
> locate the driver download.
>
> BTW....Are you viewing our group using a web browser? I
> noticed in your headers
> that you are posting through WindowsForumz.com. Do you
> realise that they are simply
> sending your posts to the Microsoft newsgroups, and you are
> unnecessarily using a
> middleman?
>
> Visit us using a newsreader at:
> news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
> to avoid the middleman - ADVERTISEMENT-FREE!
>
> How to set up Outlook Express (OE) as a newsreader program to
> access the Microsoft
> forums:
> http://www.rickrogers.org/setupoe.htm
>
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewread...
>
> http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/resources/communities.ht...
> --
> Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/conduct/default.ms...
>
>
> "WinterWind" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in
> message
> news:3_1724776_64b302c4363b1eb6fe5a2d78a1fbddf9@windowsforumz.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > My Win98 OS used to have sound, but after I formatted the
> computer and
> > everything is new, I don't have sound anymore.
> >
> > The volume thing doesn't even appear anymore.
> >
> > How can I get the sound back? I'm not sure what soundcard I
> have nor
> > do I have the software to install it.
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
> > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet
> standards
> > Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-Sound-p...
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report
> abuse:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1724776

I downloaded the belarc but it was unable to identify my sound card.
It said under the "mutimedia none identified".

So how would I open up my laptop to see the sound card? Would I have
to open up a lot of stuff, or should it be easy?
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 7:38:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

"WinterWind" wrote:
> I downloaded the belarc but it was unable to identify my sound
> card. It said under the "mutimedia none identified".
>
> So how would I open up my laptop to see the sound card? Would
> I have to open up a lot of stuff, or should it be easy?

I also downloaded the EVEREST, and under Windows Audio, there is
nothing listed, but under PCI/PnP Audio there is "Yamaha Native DS1
Audio CODEC".

Would this be a driver, or shoudl the driver be listed under windows
audio?
Anonymous
June 22, 2005 2:31:00 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

That would be the device....you don't have a driver yet. The driver is what you
need to get the device working. It would appear that you have a Yamaha Native DS1
Audio device, but let's make sure that is the device you have.

Go here:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=3908
and download "Unknown Devices" freeware. It is a .zip file. After downloading,
unzip the contents of the .zip file to a folder on your hard drive, then open that
folder and double-click "Unknown Devices.exe"
In the program window, look for the 'Unknown' or 'Other' category, click the + sign
to expand it, and you should see a PCI audio device listed. Expand it, expand the
'Full Details', then expand 'PNP ID', and copy/paste the PNP ID numbers into a reply
to this post.

We may be better able to make a positive ID of the audio device installed if we have
that PNP ID. The best source for your driver, however, is the driver disk that came
with the computer, or the web site of the computer manufacturer, but you have not
said if you have such a disk, nor have you given the manufacturer of the computer.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm


"WinterWind" <DoNotEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
news:3_1732421_daf6d91d3d05651ab7e837bb5eb6ddeb@windowsforumz.com...
> "WinterWind" wrote:
> > I downloaded the belarc but it was unable to identify my sound
> > card. It said under the "mutimedia none identified".
> >
> > So how would I open up my laptop to see the sound card? Would
> > I have to open up a lot of stuff, or should it be easy?
>
> I also downloaded the EVEREST, and under Windows Audio, there is
> nothing listed, but under PCI/PnP Audio there is "Yamaha Native DS1
> Audio CODEC".
>
> Would this be a driver, or shoudl the driver be listed under windows
> audio?
!