  • Sprint PCS
  • Internet Service Providers
Last response: in Network Providers
October 1, 2004 5:07:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Hello friends,

Hope I am not asking too basic a question that has been answered
before (I did look for such info in both alt.cellular.sprintpcs AND
alt.cellular.cingular groups and didn't find any info). I also
apologize for posting in both these groups.

Well, I have been a long-term user of sprint PCS, two phones, both LG
5250, sharing mins (700 AT mins). We currently live in Middleton
(suburb of Madison), WI, for the past 4 years and have been happy with
SPCS. However, we moved to another apartment about a quarter mile away
and we can't get reception indoors and it is faint outside with no
signal lines appearing in the display! Apparently, we moved closer to
the periphery of the coverage area and hence the problem.

My choices are either to:

1) Change providers and it seems that Cingular gives great reception
in our location, or,

2) Find some way to get better reception and stay with SPCS.

So, my questions are:

1) Since I need nationwide calling, is one better than the other, ie.,
Cingular vs SPCS? If indeed one is generally, significantly and
consistently better than the other I could go with that one. Cingular
offers GSM that could come in handy for me since I do travel abroad
once a year. Any recommendations on GSM phones that would work well
with Cingular (signal strength and compactness are priorities). Is
SPCS good only between PCS phones and not with others?

2) If I stay with Sprint PCS, would you suggest that I change phones
(they are expensive and the 2 year contracts will begin to apply
again!). From SPCS website I identified two phones to choose from, the
PM-8200 and the RL-7300; are these good phones, anyone have any
experience with them?

I feel terrible that I have to reorganize this aspect of my life just
because of a move quarter mile away! The impending expense is scary
and something that I can hardly afford at this point.

Well, I apologize for the rather long post. Any thoughts would be
greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Aravind

More about : sprint pcs cingular gsm

October 1, 2004 10:54:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On 1 Oct 2004 01:07:48 -0700, aravind_rolands@yahoo.com (Aravind)
wrote:

>1) Change providers and it seems that Cingular gives great reception
>in our location, or,
>
>2) Find some way to get better reception and stay with SPCS.

Barring you getting a cellular repeater which can be rather pricey you
probably cannot stay with SPCS if you want good reception in your new
location.

>1) Since I need nationwide calling, is one better than the other, ie.,
>Cingular vs SPCS? If indeed one is generally, significantly and
>consistently better than the other I could go with that one.

You really can't say as radio reception can vary significantly from
one area to another. That's the very nature of radio reception.

>Cingular
>offers GSM that could come in handy for me since I do travel abroad
>once a year. Any recommendations on GSM phones that would work well
>with Cingular (signal strength and compactness are priorities).

Keep in mind that though GSM is very friendly for international travel
(with the right equipment) it is not cheap to do it this way and local
prepaid SIMs are the better way to go if you are spending more than a
few days in one location.

>Is
>SPCS good only between PCS phones and not with others?

Not sure what you mean "Is SPCS good only between PCS phones"

>2) If I stay with Sprint PCS, would you suggest that I change phones
>(they are expensive and the 2 year contracts will begin to apply
>again!). From SPCS website I identified two phones to choose from, the
>PM-8200 and the RL-7300; are these good phones, anyone have any
>experience with them?

A different phone might give you *better* reception but it will not
cure a bad reception area.

>I feel terrible that I have to reorganize this aspect of my life just
>because of a move quarter mile away! The impending expense is scary
>and something that I can hardly afford at this point.

It's necessary if you want mobile service that works where you need it
to work.
October 1, 2004 7:33:01 PM

"Aravind" <aravind_rolands@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello friends,
>
> Hope I am not asking too basic a question that has been answered
> before (I did look for such info in both alt.cellular.sprintpcs AND
> alt.cellular.cingular groups and didn't find any info). I also
> apologize for posting in both these groups.
>
> Well, I have been a long-term user of sprint PCS, two phones, both LG
> 5250, sharing mins (700 AT mins). We currently live in Middleton
> (suburb of Madison), WI, for the past 4 years and have been happy with
> SPCS. However, we moved to another apartment about a quarter mile away
> and we can't get reception indoors and it is faint outside with no
> signal lines appearing in the display! Apparently, we moved closer to
> the periphery of the coverage area and hence the problem.
>
> My choices are either to:
>
> 1) Change providers and it seems that Cingular gives great reception
> in our location, or,
>
> 2) Find some way to get better reception and stay with SPCS.
>
> So, my questions are:
>
> 1) Since I need nationwide calling, is one better than the other, ie.,
> Cingular vs SPCS? If indeed one is generally, significantly and
> consistently better than the other I could go with that one. Cingular
> offers GSM that could come in handy for me since I do travel abroad
> once a year. Any recommendations on GSM phones that would work well
> with Cingular (signal strength and compactness are priorities). Is
> SPCS good only between PCS phones and not with others?

There are both good and bad coverage areas for either provider. As for GSM,
they use different Freqs outside of the US. GSM in the US is on 800 & 1900.
In Europe, it's on 900 & 1800, So if you want to use a Cingular phone
overseas, it will need the capability to communicate on all those freqs.

As for the rest of the areas you go into, you should check the Cingular maps
to see whether service is afforded there.

> 2) If I stay with Sprint PCS, would you suggest that I change phones
> (they are expensive and the 2 year contracts will begin to apply
> again!).

That 2 yr contract extension will only apply if you use the mail in rebate
coupon. If you just buy the phones straight up, from SPCS or other
distributors, no contract extension. Or ... you can take a $100 mail in
rebate and extend your contract by one year.

> From SPCS website I identified two phones to choose from, the
> PM-8200 and the RL-7300; are these good phones, anyone have any
> experience with them?

All models from Sanyos have a great reputation in the SPCS newsgroup. As for
the specific models you've enquired about, I'd suggest you do a search on
those model numbers in the SPCS newsgroup.

> I feel terrible that I have to reorganize this aspect of my life just
> because of a move quarter mile away! The impending expense is scary
> and something that I can hardly afford at this point.

You could also call SPCS and create a trouble ticket. Could be you are in
fringe coverage, or there is a problem with one of the local antennas.

One other thing with regards to SPCS, they do offer a Free & Clear America
option (for $5/mo. in corporate areas) to allows you to roam up to 50% of
your minutes, and it includes LD outgoing calls.

> Well, I apologize for the rather long post. Any thoughts would be
> greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Bob
October 2, 2004 12:44:37 PM

"Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<NMe7d.486$Vm1.17@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
> "Aravind" <aravind_rolands@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hello friends,
> >

> There are both good and bad coverage areas for either provider. As for GSM,
> they use different Freqs outside of the US. GSM in the US is on 800 & 1900.
> In Europe, it's on 900 & 1800, So if you want to use a Cingular phone
> overseas, it will need the capability to communicate on all those freqs.

Thanks for writing in, Bob. And thanks for the information above. My
yearly travels take me to India where it is GSM (don't knnow the
freqs) but my understanding is that one could buy a SIM card and put
it into any generic GSM phone and it would work in that country. That
is my understanding now, may be I am wrong. If I were correct, my
Cingular GSM phone could work there, similar to a "prepaid" phone. An
alternative would be to actually buy another GSM phone in India and
make it to work there the same way.

> As for the rest of the areas you go into, you should check the Cingular maps
> to see whether service is afforded there.

The maps from both Sprint and Cingular look similar in the area where
I currently live. I do think now that a newer sprint phone would work
better with better signal strength and I would get to keep my existing
plan.

> That 2 yr contract extension will only apply if you use the mail in rebate
> coupon. If you just buy the phones straight up, from SPCS or other
> distributors, no contract extension. Or ... you can take a $100 mail in
> rebate and extend your contract by one year.

> All models from Sanyos have a great reputation in the SPCS newsgroup. As for
> the specific models you've enquired about, I'd suggest you do a search on
> those model numbers in the SPCS newsgroup.

> You could also call SPCS and create a trouble ticket. Could be you are in
> fringe coverage, or there is a problem with one of the local antennas.

Well, I called Sprint and apparently they tested signal strength at a
location outside my apartment and they reported back saying that it
was good. In other words, I guess if I change my phone things would be
better.

Thanks again.

Aravind
Anonymous
October 2, 2004 4:33:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Aravind - I don't know about your (potential) Cingular GSM phone, but
some GSM phones sold by US providers are "SIM-locked" to that provider,
so only that provider's SIM will work in their phones. A SIM bought in
India wouldn't work with such a phone. Some US providers (T-Mobile,
I've heard) will give you the code to unlock your phone after you've had
it for a certain number of months.

Aravind wrote:

> Thanks for writing in, Bob. And thanks for the information above. My
> yearly travels take me to India where it is GSM (don't knnow the
> freqs) but my understanding is that one could buy a SIM card and put
> it into any generic GSM phone and it would work in that country. That
> is my understanding now, may be I am wrong. If I were correct, my
> Cingular GSM phone could work there, similar to a "prepaid" phone. An
> alternative would be to actually buy another GSM phone in India and
> make it to work there the same way.

October 2, 2004 10:47:31 PM

"Frank Harris" <frankbhX@XcompuserveX.com> wrote in message
> Aravind - I don't know about your (potential) Cingular GSM phone, but some
> GSM phones sold by US providers are "SIM-locked" to that provider, so only
> that provider's SIM will work in their phones. A SIM bought in India
> wouldn't work with such a phone. Some US providers (T-Mobile, I've heard)
> will give you the code to unlock your phone after you've had it for a
> certain number of months.
>
> Aravind wrote:
>
>> Thanks for writing in, Bob. And thanks for the information above. My
>> yearly travels take me to India where it is GSM (don't knnow the
>> freqs) but my understanding is that one could buy a SIM card and put
>> it into any generic GSM phone and it would work in that country. That
>> is my understanding now, may be I am wrong. If I were correct, my
>> Cingular GSM phone could work there, similar to a "prepaid" phone. An
>> alternative would be to actually buy another GSM phone in India and
>> make it to work there the same way.
>
> --
> Frank Harris in San Francisco with an A620

You MUST have a "world phone", a quad band phone, such as the Motorola V400.
The V400 is sold "unlocked" by Cingular.

bamp
Anonymous
October 2, 2004 11:48:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

> Well, I called Sprint and apparently they tested signal strength at a
> location outside my apartment and they reported back saying that it
> was good. In other words, I guess if I change my phone things would be
> better.

I'd suggest a Sanyo. I've had the 4500, 4700, 4900, and now 4920.
There does seem to be a difference between phones even between current
phones. I'd suggest the 4920 as I've had excellent signal strength
with it. Good luck.

Steve
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 2:00:42 AM

wrote:

>1) Since I need nationwide calling, is one better than the other, ie.,
>Cingular vs SPCS? If indeed one is generally, significantly and

Cingular offers free roaming, vs. having to pay extra for it with
Sprint. Cingular offers better plans (IMO), I just switched to a plan
that gives me 350 more anytime minutes a month for only 4 dollars a
month extra, but 11.00 less per month for the extra phone, with a net
savings of 7.00 a month. Also my unused minutes will roll over and
bank.

>with Cingular (signal strength and compactness are priorities). Is
>SPCS good only between PCS phones and not with others?

If you drop off the SPCS network, even in your home area, unless you
pay the extra fee per month to have it included, you will pay roaming.

--
Deb
Anonymous

abuse.catcher@att.net wrote:
> On 1 Oct 2004 01:07:48 -0700, aravind_rolands@yahoo.com (Aravind)
> wrote:
>

>>1) Since I need nationwide calling, is one better than the other, ie.,
>>Cingular vs SPCS? If indeed one is generally, significantly and
>

> Cingular offers free roaming,

On all plans? Cingular used to have Nation and Preferred plans. Nation plans
are no-roaming-anywhere-in-the-US. Preferred is
no-roaming-in-most-places-on-Cingular's-network-or-select-roaming-partners'-networks.
Much like Sprint Free and Clear or Verizon America's Choice (F&C is
Sprint-only, Verizon AC is Verizon plus selected networks operated by other
carriers)

Most carriers have the two tiers and the true no-roaming-nationwide plans do
cost more. Is Cingular Preferred still available? If so, your statement is
inaccurate as it *will* cost more to sign up for Cingular Nation than it will
for Cingular Preferred. Yes, roaming is included, but the monthly access still
costs more.

> If you drop off the SPCS network, even in your home area, unless you
> pay the extra fee per month to have it included, you will pay roaming.

This is correct, on the local plans or on Free & Clear.

October 3, 2004 2:02:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On 2 Oct 2004 08:44:37 -0700, aravind_rolands@yahoo.com (Aravind)
wrote:

>Well, I called Sprint and apparently they tested signal strength at a
>location outside my apartment and they reported back saying that it
>was good. In other words, I guess if I change my phone things would be
>better.

Don't believe them. I've had them tell me that for several years
now....it's the phone, it's the phone.....Yesterday at our office, not
one of 3 different Sprint phones would get a signal inside the
building (AT&T and Cingular phones had no problem) and not one of the
Sprint phones would hold a signal outside the office in the parking
lot for more than a minute. We are *not* in rural or fringe area.

--
Deb
Anonymous

abuse.catcher@att.net wrote:

> Don't believe them. I've had them tell me that for several years
> now....it's the phone, it's the phone.....Yesterday at our office, not
> one of 3 different Sprint phones would get a signal inside the
> building (AT&T and Cingular phones had no problem) and not one of the
> Sprint phones would hold a signal outside the office in the parking
> lot for more than a minute. We are *not* in rural or fringe area.

On the other hand, you had other people who use Sprint in your area tell you
they have no problems. Seems to me that it might be a localized problem and
that the others who replied to you don't use their phones in your particular
neighborhood, even though they live/work in the same area as you. (Central
Florida, right?)

Again, I say: take advantage of the trial period. I'd say that to someone
signing up for Sprint, for Cingular, or for any other carrier. It holds true
every time. Everyone's experience is different and you have to determine what
works for you.

October 3, 2004 4:12:04 AM

"Aravind" <aravind_rolands@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:c47d1fd8.0410020744.698462fd@posting.google.com...
> "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<NMe7d.486$Vm1.17@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
>>
>> There are both good and bad coverage areas for either provider. As for GSM,
>> they use different Freqs outside of the US. GSM in the US is on 800 & 1900.
>> In Europe, it's on 900 & 1800, So if you want to use a Cingular phone
>> overseas, it will need the capability to communicate on all those freqs.
>
> Thanks for writing in, Bob. And thanks for the information above. My
> yearly travels take me to India where it is GSM (don't knnow the
> freqs) but my understanding is that one could buy a SIM card and put
> it into any generic GSM phone and it would work in that country. That
> is my understanding now, may be I am wrong. If I were correct, my
> Cingular GSM phone could work there, similar to a "prepaid" phone. An
> alternative would be to actually buy another GSM phone in India and
> make it to work there the same way.
>
> Aravind

The following website shows network information for 47 Indian GSM networks.
http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_in.shtml
Thirteen networks run GSM1800, while two others run dual GSM900/1800.
All the remainder in India run only GSM900.
Verify that your phone will respond to GSM900 and/or GSM1800
before trying to swap in an Indian SIM card.
India appears to be GSM-compatible with Europe, but as Bob pointed out,
that does not guarantee your U.S. phone will work there.
---JRC---
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 5:56:47 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

AT&T phones are sold locked, and they won't provide unlock codes. They'll be
hapy to sign you up for the reduced rate of 89 cents per minute, under the
global roaming voice plan.

"John R. Copeland" <jcopelan@columbus.rr.aol.com> wrote in message
news:o tH7d.171548$787.154652@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
"Aravind" <aravind_rolands@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Bob Smith" <usirsclt_No_Spam_@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>
>> There are both good and bad coverage areas for either provider. As for
GSM,
>> they use different Freqs outside of the US. GSM in the US is on 800 &
1900.
>> In Europe, it's on 900 & 1800, So if you want to use a Cingular phone
>> overseas, it will need the capability to communicate on all those freqs.
>
> Thanks for writing in, Bob. And thanks for the information above. My
> yearly travels take me to India where it is GSM (don't knnow the
> freqs) but my understanding is that one could buy a SIM card and put
> it into any generic GSM phone and it would work in that country. That
> is my understanding now, may be I am wrong. If I were correct, my
> Cingular GSM phone could work there, similar to a "prepaid" phone. An
> alternative would be to actually buy another GSM phone in India and
> make it to work there the same way.
>
> Aravind

The following website shows network information for 47 Indian GSM networks.
http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou_in.shtml
Thirteen networks run GSM1800, while two others run dual GSM900/1800.
All the remainder in India run only GSM900.
Verify that your phone will respond to GSM900 and/or GSM1800
before trying to swap in an Indian SIM card.
India appears to be GSM-compatible with Europe, but as Bob pointed out,
that does not guarantee your U.S. phone will work there.
---JRC---
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 11:28:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 19:12:27 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
wrote:

>On the other hand, you had other people who use Sprint in your area tell you
>they have no problems. Seems to me that it might be a localized problem and

Here, yes, they have said so. I saw three different phones on Friday,
with 5 bars each, lose signals on every call we tried to make. I was
on the earbud, watching the bars as "signal faded" showed on the
display and the call dropped.

>that the others who replied to you don't use their phones in your particular
>neighborhood, even though they live/work in the same area as you. (Central
>Florida, right?)

Jacksonville / Orange Park area. A number of spots in Jax, including
one that supposedly is one mile from a Sprint tower are totally dead
for me. And as mentioned yesterday, on Friday, we *had*, supposedly,
a signal, but the calls kept dropping within a minute or two. In one
case (not my phone), the tech walked three paces to the right and went
into roaming....

>Again, I say: take advantage of the trial period. I'd say that to someone
>signing up for Sprint, for Cingular, or for any other carrier. It holds true
>every time. Everyone's experience is different and you have to determine what
>works for you.

Yep. Sprint did not work for me, hopefully Cingular will.

--
Deb
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 19:09:36 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
wrote:

>> Cingular offers free roaming,
>
>On all plans? Cingular used to have Nation and Preferred plans. Nation plans

I don't know about all plans, but the plan I just got from them is
Nationwide, and will cost me a net of 7.00 per month less than Sprint
does now, with 350 more (rollover) minutes than the Sprint F&C plan I
had. And, the unused minutes will rollover so if I have a high usage
month (about 2 - 3 times a year), I'll have the minutes available
without going over.

On the Regional plans, there are no roaming charges within your
region, regardless of network.

Also, I get unlimited minutes to any other Cingular phone included as
part of the plan, so calls to hubby won't eat the minutes.

>Most carriers have the two tiers and the true no-roaming-nationwide plans do
>cost more. Is Cingular Preferred still available? If so, your statement is
>inaccurate as it *will* cost more to sign up for Cingular Nation than it will

I will be paying less per month to Cingular for more minutes and no
roaming than I paid to Sprint. So, it is costing me *less* to sign up
for Cingular, with a better plan than I had with Sprint. I also get
unlimited Cingular to Cingular calling included with the plan. That
would cost me $5.00 more per month with Sprint.

>for Cingular Preferred. Yes, roaming is included, but the monthly access still
>costs more.

Perhaps on their network, but compared to my old bill from Sprint, it
is less.

>> If you drop off the SPCS network, even in your home area, unless you
>> pay the extra fee per month to have it included, you will pay roaming.
>
>This is correct, on the local plans or on Free & Clear.

In the Cingular plans, even on the local plans, in your home area, you
do not pay roaming.
--
Deb
Anonymous

abuse.catcher@att.net wrote:

> I will be paying less per month to Cingular for more minutes and no
> roaming than I paid to Sprint.

OK, I understand now. Yes, Cingular is typically somewhat less expensive than
Sprint.

> In the Cingular plans, even on the local plans, in your home area, you
> do not pay roaming.

Same with the local plans from the other carriers... I was just curious about
Cingular because I don't use them and therefore may not be completely
up-to-date on what their calling plans are.

October 3, 2004 8:53:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 08:57:13 -0700, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
wrote:

>> In the Cingular plans, even on the local plans, in your home area, you
>> do not pay roaming.
>
>Same with the local plans from the other carriers... I was just curious about
>Cingular because I don't use them and therefore may not be completely
>up-to-date on what their calling plans are.

I think they have revamped some recently, there were some differences
from earlier this year when I started researching.

All I know is that I now have a service that appears to work pretty
much everywhere I've been in the last two days, even when the Sprint
phone got no signal. Granted I haven't been to all the places I
usually go, but the travel starts soon.

--
Deb
Anonymous

<abuse.catcher@att.net> wrote in message news:44nul0lu5gd7qdhcum11fgn626n2cbnbi0@4ax.com...
> Cingular offers free roaming, vs. having to pay extra for it with
> Sprint.

The reason Cingular can afford to offer free roaming is because there
is little to roam to. Who else but AT&T is Cingular's roaming partner?
Unlike Sprint, Cingular's phones won't do the old analog AMPS, so
if you're out in the boonies with a Cingular phone, you're SOL.

--
John Richards
Anonymous

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

In <HpW8d.7308$Rf1.2558@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com> on Wed, 06 Oct 2004
18:01:11 GMT, "John Richards" <supportdesk70-NO-SPAM@NO.SPAM.sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

><abuse.catcher@att.net> wrote in message news:44nul0lu5gd7qdhcum11fgn626n2cbnbi0@4ax.com...

>> Cingular offers free roaming, vs. having to pay extra for it with
>> Sprint.

Not entirely. For example, I have a Cingular Nation Plan, and I'm not allowed
to roam on ATTWS here in California, free or fee.

>The reason Cingular can afford to offer free roaming is because there
>is little to roam to. Who else but AT&T is Cingular's roaming partner?

T-Mobile, and quite a few smaller carriers.

>Unlike Sprint, Cingular's phones won't do the old analog AMPS, so
>if you're out in the boonies with a Cingular phone, you're SOL.

Depends on the boonies -- I've gotten GSM coverage in surprising places (e.g.,
when sailing well offshore).

October 7, 2004 4:55:54 AM

In <Lunchboxx.1dqcf1@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> on Wed, 6 Oct 2004 19:03:10
-0500, Lunchboxx <Lunchboxx.1dqcf1@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:

>with cingular and att roaming together you dont need anything else

In many places, but not all places.

October 7, 2004 10:28:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

When I had the Cingular GAIT Nation plan I roamed on ATTWS, T-Mobile,
USCellular (USA 260, 340 350, 370,etc.), Einstein PCS, Iowa Wireless and a
number of others I couldn't get a name for-all on GSM/TDMA digital. If you
have to go off the beaten path like I do in my 18 wheeler, Cingular GSM
plans will be useless to you. I get better coverage with my SPCS Free &
Clear plan w/$5 America option.

Chris

"John Richards" <supportdesk70-NO-SPAM@NO.SPAM.sbcglobal.net> wrote in
message news:HpW8d.7308$Rf1.2558@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com...
> <abuse.catcher@att.net> wrote in message
>> Cingular offers free roaming, vs. having to pay extra for it with
>> Sprint.
>
> The reason Cingular can afford to offer free roaming is because there
> is little to roam to. Who else but AT&T is Cingular's roaming partner?
> Unlike Sprint, Cingular's phones won't do the old analog AMPS, so
> if you're out in the boonies with a Cingular phone, you're SOL.
>
> --
> John Richards
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 5:35:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Anonymous
October 16, 2004 12:07:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

"John R. Copeland" <jcopelan@columbus.rr.aol.com> wrote in message >
> The following website shows network information for 47 Indian GSM
> networks.
> http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/cou in.shtml
> Thirteen networks run GSM1800, while two others run dual GSM900/1800.
> All the remainder in India run only GSM900.
> Verify that your phone will respond to GSM900 and/or GSM1800
> before trying to swap in an Indian SIM card.
> India appears to be GSM-compatible with Europe, but as Bob pointed out,
> that does not guarantee your U.S. phone will work there.
> ---JRC---

Thanks, John, for the great info and the website. I guess the V400
would cover all these freqs if I went with cingular. Thanks again.

Aravind
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 12:11:27 PM

John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote in message news:<uu09d.16526$54.263916@typhoon.sonic.net>...

> In <Lunchboxx.1dqcf1@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> on Wed, 6 Oct 2004 19:03:10
> -0500, Lunchboxx <Lunchboxx.1dqcf1@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote:
>
> >with cingular and att roaming together you dont need anything else
>
> In many places, but not all places.

Thanks everybody, the info given by everyone was outstanding, to say
the least, especially to a novice like me. Appreciate all your
comments, I learnt a heck of a lot.

Aravind
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 12:13:39 PM

Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net> wrote in message news:<cjp7dr$pbo$2@ratbert.glorb.com>...
> abuse.catcher@att.net wrote:
>
> > I will be paying less per month to Cingular for more minutes and no
> > roaming than I paid to Sprint.

I do agree, I think. However, addons like adding roaming to a
two-phone shared plan costs $14/mo, it is kind of expensive compared
to Sprint ($5?).

Aravind
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 12:17:27 PM

Lunchboxx <Lunchboxx.1dqcf1@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message news:<Lunchboxx.1dqcf1@nospam.cellphoneforums.net>...
> with cingular and att roaming together you dont need anything else

Looking at the Cingular coverage map of April 2003 and comparing it
with today's, it does appear that coverage has increased almost 3
times. Going by this rate of increase in coverage it does appear
promising for the future, I guess. The local Cingular rep tells me
that Cingular hopes to finish expanding coverage by end of 2005 and
that by then almost the whole country is likely to be covered.

I guess the truth would lie somewhere in between.

Aravind
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 12:21:41 PM

"Chris Russell" <noone@nowhere.nospam> wrote in message news:<JVf9d.4626$5b1.4404@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>...
> When I had the Cingular GAIT Nation plan I roamed on ATTWS, T-Mobile,
> USCellular (USA 260, 340 350, 370,etc.), Einstein PCS, Iowa Wireless and a
> number of others I couldn't get a name for-all on GSM/TDMA digital. If you
> have to go off the beaten path like I do in my 18 wheeler, Cingular GSM
> plans will be useless to you. I get better coverage with my SPCS Free &
> Clear plan w/$5 America option.
>
> Chris

It appears that the GAIT plan is not offered by cingular anymore
(probably it would cost a lot more). Wouldn't it be great if
agreements were in place where all cell phones work in everyone's
network!

Aravind
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 12:26:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.cingular (More info?)

Frank Harris <frankbhX@XcompuserveX.com> wrote in message news:<cjmvp1$d0q$1@ngspool-d02.news.aol.com>...
> Aravind - I don't know about your (potential) Cingular GSM phone, but
> some GSM phones sold by US providers are "SIM-locked" to that provider,
> so only that provider's SIM will work in their phones. A SIM bought in
> India wouldn't work with such a phone. Some US providers (T-Mobile,
> I've heard) will give you the code to unlock your phone after you've had
> it for a certain number of months.

Thanks, Frank. I am planning on the Motorola V400 and apparently it
comes unlocked from Cingular and since it works on both 1800/900
freqs, I guess it may be the right one for me.

Aravind
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 12:36:00 PM

okapi@yahoo.com (Steve W) wrote in message news:<f12cd3d1.0410021848.2043b67e@posting.google.com>...
> > Well, I called Sprint and apparently they tested signal strength at a
> > location outside my apartment and they reported back saying that it
> > was good. In other words, I guess if I change my phone things would be
> > better.
>
> I'd suggest a Sanyo. I've had the 4500, 4700, 4900, and now 4920.
> There does seem to be a difference between phones even between current
> phones. I'd suggest the 4920 as I've had excellent signal strength
> with it. Good luck.
>
> Steve

Thanks, Steve. Well, what I did was that I bought myself two Sanyo
PM-8200 phones (they look great and are very compact with great
display and intuitive user-interface - unlike the Motorola V400)
yesterday to replace my old LG TP-5250 and got a new two year
contract. They worked better than the older phones but still the
signal was low and worked in less than half the areas in my small 2
bedroom apt. That was unfortunate, I returned the phones and cancelled
the new contract the same day (they have a 14 day return policy). Plan
on getting the V400 and setting up a contract with Cingular. The
cingular rep gave me a demo phone that works everywhere inside the
house, even in closed spaces like inside the bathroom and the signal
is very good. I think the issue is coverage. I wish Sprint sets up
provisions to provide demo phones like Cingular does, would save
potential customers a lot of trouble, I guess.

Thanks again.

Aravind
Anonymous
October 16, 2004 9:02:11 PM

> okapi@yahoo.com (Steve W) wrote in message
> > > Well, I called Sprint and apparently they tested signal strength at a
> > > location outside my apartment and they reported back saying that it
> > > was good. In other words, I guess if I change my phone things would be
> > > better.
> >
> > I'd suggest a Sanyo. I've had the 4500, 4700, 4900, and now 4920.
> > There does seem to be a difference between phones even between current
> > phones. I'd suggest the 4920 as I've had excellent signal strength
> > with it. Good luck.
> >
> > Steve
>
> Thanks, Steve. Well, what I did was that I bought myself two Sanyo
> PM-8200 phones (they look great and are very compact with great
> display and intuitive user-interface - unlike the Motorola V400)
> yesterday to replace my old LG TP-5250 and got a new two year
> contract. They worked better than the older phones but still the
> signal was low and worked in less than half the areas in my small 2
> bedroom apt. That was unfortunate, I returned the phones and cancelled
> the new contract the same day (they have a 14 day return policy). Plan
> on getting the V400 and setting up a contract with Cingular. The
> cingular rep gave me a demo phone that works everywhere inside the
> house, even in closed spaces like inside the bathroom and the signal
> is very good. I think the issue is coverage. I wish Sprint sets up
> provisions to provide demo phones like Cingular does, would save
> potential customers a lot of trouble, I guess.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Aravind

Aravind, I hope you didn't cancel your service with SPCS before moving to
Cingular. I say that, as you will not be able to port over your numbers, if
you did cancel your SPCS account. The step to take is to sign up with
Cingular, then tell Cingular to port your numbers.

Bob
Anonymous
October 17, 2004 6:47:39 AM

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 08:17:27 -0700, Aravind wrote:

> Lunchboxx <Lunchboxx.1dqcf1@nospam.cellphoneforums.net> wrote in message
>> with cingular and att roaming together you dont need anything else

snip
> by this rate of increase in coverage it does appear promising for the
> future, I guess. The local rep tells me that Cingular hopes to
key word:
hopes

> finish expanding coverage by end of 2005 and that by then almost the whole
> country is likely to be covered.
impossible

> I guess the truth would lie somewhere in between.
yes it is
Evil Empire follows:

Cingular is actually SBC if you read the fine print, and I am loath to give
them any money
When it was Ameritech, we WERE held hostage at my mom's house with shity
phone service. It was so bad (pre cell phone era) that we had to walk a
half a mile (in rain and snow) to call somebody, if it was a medical
emergency we of course ran. I promised the rep from Ameritech If I could
I would leave and never come back, he didn't seem to care.
Later the lines were opened to competition we left.
Years later(now SBC) they called at my new house and asked if I wanted to
reconnect. I said no the service I have now is fine and cheap.
They kept calling and calling(to the point of being a nusance call).
Finally the "do not call list" started.
They still called!
so I filed a complaint with the state and I haven't been bothered by SBC
since.
my dilema now is Cingular has gsm service in America, I can buy and unlock
a phone to use it in Europe, but if I do business with Cingular does
that open me up to really high pressure land line salesman, or have they
given that up?
Sprint has anolog as it's fall back fo those remote areas in my state
I'm leaning on keeping the Sprint acount and getting a unlocked pre-pay
gsm sim card phone as a backup phone for the wife to use if she needs it
just my 2 cents

> Aravind
Anonymous
October 20, 2004 3:13:04 AM

>Cingular is actually SBC if you read the fine print,

Actually Cingular is a partnership between Bell South and SBC. I think that the
division is 40% Bell South and 60% SBC.

No fine print at all. It is a well known fact.

--
John S.
October 20, 2004 7:36:18 PM

In <pan.2004.10.17.07.47.36.914587@computer.local> on Sun, 17 Oct 2004
02:47:39 -0500, Bob Lambeau <bob@computer.local> wrote:

>Cingular is actually SBC if you read the fine print, ...

Cingular is actually a joint venture between SBC and BellSouth.

>my dilema now is Cingular has gsm service in America,

Likewise AT&T Wireless and T-Mobile.

>I can buy and unlock
>a phone to use it in Europe,

Or you can buy a separate cheap unlocked phone for use in Europe.

>but if I do business with Cingular does
>that open me up to really high pressure land line salesman, or have they
>given that up?

Cingular is in the cell phone business, not the land line business.

October 21, 2004 4:36:34 PM

In article <GpudnTLvYKF2hurcRVn-tQ@giganews.com>,
cambie <none@provided.com> wrote:

> As Mr Navas said, Cingular is a joint venture between Bell South and
> SBC. I don't remember the split exactly, you can look that up for
> yourself. You WILL not receive phone calls pressuring you to switch to
> SBC landline as a result of being a Cingular customer. You may at some
> point, be offered a better price for being a customer of both services,
> but never a target for sales calls.

SBC offers a discount on Cingular service, but its a discount from
inflated prices so the end result is the same price one gets walking
cold into a Cingular store. Deceptive Trade Practice is the name for
that. Very similar to Hertz discounts.
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 7:20:10 PM

In <jzwick3-4DD7F2.07355821102004@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Thu, 21 Oct
2004 12:36:34 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>SBC offers a discount on Cingular service, but its a discount from
>inflated prices so the end result is the same price one gets walking
>cold into a Cingular store. Deceptive Trade Practice is the name for
>that. Very similar to Hertz discounts.

Anything to back that claim up?

October 21, 2004 8:02:28 PM

In article <KsQdd.310$_3.6150@typhoon.sonic.net>,

> In <jzwick> on Thu, 21 Oct
> 2004 12:36:34 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> >SBC offers a discount on Cingular service, but its a discount from
> >inflated prices so the end result is the same price one gets walking
> >cold into a Cingular store. Deceptive Trade Practice is the name for
> >that. Very similar to Hertz discounts.
>
> Anything to back that claim up?

They've changed it, so I understand your confusion, now the rate plans
are the same, but the phones are more expensive for SBC customers.
i.e. Motorola v400 - $99.99 for SBC customers ;
$59.99 for off the street Cingular Customers.

Just go to sbc.com and cingular.com and compare for yourself.
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 10:11:12 PM

In <jzwick3-A3D507.11015221102004@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Thu, 21 Oct
2004 16:02:28 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>In article <KsQdd.310$_3.6150@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> In <jzwick> on Thu, 21 Oct
>> 2004 12:36:34 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>
>> >SBC offers a discount on Cingular service, but its a discount from
>> >inflated prices so the end result is the same price one gets walking
>> >cold into a Cingular store. Deceptive Trade Practice is the name for
>> >that. Very similar to Hertz discounts.
>>
>> Anything to back that claim up?
>
>They've changed it, so I understand your confusion, now the rate plans
>are the same, but the phones are more expensive for SBC customers.
>i.e. Motorola v400 - $99.99 for SBC customers ;
> $59.99 for off the street Cingular Customers.
>
>Just go to sbc.com and cingular.com and compare for yourself.

That doesn't back up the claim of "Deceptive Trade Practice". SBC does
discount rate plans -- the end result is not the same -- and while the SBC
handset price is higher than the Cingular promotional price on one particular
handset (V400), it's the same on other handsets (e.g., C1300), and lower on
one before rebate (T637).

October 21, 2004 10:19:30 PM

In article <4ZSdd.351$_3.6378@typhoon.sonic.net>,

> In <jzwick3-A3D507.11015221102004@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Thu, 21 Oct
> 2004 16:02:28 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <KsQdd.310$_3.6150@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> > John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

> >> Anything to back that claim up?
> >
> >They've changed it, so I understand your confusion, now the rate plans
> >are the same, but the phones are more expensive for SBC customers.
> >i.e. Motorola v400 - $99.99 for SBC customers ;
> > $59.99 for off the street Cingular Customers.
> >
> >Just go to sbc.com and cingular.com and compare for yourself.
>
> That doesn't back up the claim of "Deceptive Trade Practice". SBC does
> discount rate plans -- the end result is not the same -- and while the SBC
> handset price is higher than the Cingular promotional price on one particular
> handset (V400), it's the same on other handsets (e.g., C1300), and lower on
> one before rebate (T637).

How come you suddenly found time to look at the web sites ?
Anonymous
October 21, 2004 11:08:25 PM

In <jzwick3-477758.13193721102004@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Thu, 21 Oct
2004 18:19:30 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>How come you suddenly found time to look at the web sites ?

How come you suddenly found time to be annoying?

October 22, 2004 12:50:55 AM

In article <JOTdd.355$_3.6312@typhoon.sonic.net>,

> >How come you suddenly found time to look at the web sites ?
>
> How come you suddenly found time to be annoying?

Sorry you find my reporting SBC's duplicity annoying, but we all know
how you incorrectly think Cingular is perfect.
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 3:42:22 AM

In <jzwick3-E07076.15510421102004@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Thu, 21 Oct
2004 20:50:55 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>In article <JOTdd.355$_3.6312@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> >How come you suddenly found time to look at the web sites ?
>>
>> How come you suddenly found time to be annoying?
>
>Sorry you find my reporting SBC's duplicity annoying,

You've failed to show any duplicity.

>but we all know
>how you incorrectly think Cingular is perfect.

No carrier is perfect, but that's a long way from your libelous "Deceptive
Trade Practice" and "duplicity".

October 22, 2004 7:32:06 AM

In article <yPXdd.413$_3.6626@typhoon.sonic.net>,

> In <jzwick3-E07076.15510421102004@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Thu, 21 Oct
> 2004 20:50:55 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

> >> How come you suddenly found time to be annoying?
> >
> >Sorry you find my reporting SBC's duplicity annoying,
>
> You've failed to show any duplicity.

Two different pricing isn't duplicity?

We already established one set of pricing for SBC customers and
lower prices for walkin Cingular customers.

Only a Cingular shill would fail to see it.
Anonymous
October 22, 2004 6:32:39 PM

In <jzwick3-0F6A9F.22313221102004@news1.west.earthlink.net> on Fri, 22 Oct
2004 03:32:06 GMT, Jack Zwick <jzwick3@mindspring.com> wrote:

>In article <yPXdd.413$_3.6626@typhoon.sonic.net>,
> John Navas <spamfilter0@navasgroup.com> wrote:

>> You've failed to show any duplicity.
>
>Two different pricing isn't duplicity?

Not even when set by the same entity. Just like many other entities, Cingular
has different on-line and walk-in prices. That isn't "duplicity" either.

>We already established one set of pricing for SBC customers and
>lower prices for walkin Cingular customers.

Sometimes lower, but sometimes higher, and usually the same, as I pointed out
previously. Regardless, SBC and Cingular are two different entities, and
different entities are likewise free to set different prices.

>Only a Cingular shill would fail to see it.

Only an SBC antagonist would make such a claim, and only a weak case would
need to stoop to a personal attack.