cdr101 error when formatting drive

Hi,

When I try to format my hard drive I get a cdr101 error for a drive N which
does not even exist on this computer. The knowledgebase says to "fail" this
command and dos will continue with the original command but it doesn't work
that way, the error is a show-stopper. I tried disconnecting my cd and dvd
drives but then I got a different error. I am running Windows 98. Please
help.

Cathy
2 answers Last reply
More about cdr101 error formatting drive

    How are you trying to format, i.e., are you booting from a boot floppy with CDROM
    support, and running format from the floppy? Please provide a lot more info, per
    the link in my signature.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Cathy Broxterman" <Cathy Broxterman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > When I try to format my hard drive I get a cdr101 error for a drive N which
    > does not even exist on this computer. The knowledgebase says to "fail" this
    > command and dos will continue with the original command but it doesn't work
    > that way, the error is a show-stopper. I tried disconnecting my cd and dvd
    > drives but then I got a different error. I am running Windows 98. Please
    > help.
    >
    > Cathy

    Try creating a new boot floppy. Be sure you can access your CD drive
    before formatting.

    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

    Ben

    "Cathy Broxterman" <Cathy Broxterman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6AB5BE7F-05BE-4FCB-AB26-4BE8F01D2541@microsoft.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > When I try to format my hard drive I get a cdr101 error for a drive N which
    > does not even exist on this computer. The knowledgebase says to "fail" this
    > command and dos will continue with the original command but it doesn't work
    > that way, the error is a show-stopper. I tried disconnecting my cd and dvd
    > drives but then I got a different error. I am running Windows 98. Please
    > help.
    >
    > Cathy

Command Prompt Windows