Unable to load Norton Systemworks Missing dll with windows..

I am trying to help some people get up and running after a neglected
computer. They are running Win 98 on an older PII Gateway. I upgraded
their ram to 192 and they have sufficient hard disk space. They had two
viruses (Bug Bear and Bug Bear B) that I removed. I downloaded and installed
all of the critical windows updates and did a spyware removal. They didn't
have any antivirus software running so we purchased Norton Systemworks 2005.

I run into the same problem everytime I try to install the Norton product.
Error 1723, Installation failed. Problems with windows installer, missing
dll.

Sooooo, I followed the directions on Syamtec's site to remove the failed
software install. Downloaded Windows installer 2.0, booted to DOS and
renamed the msi*.dll and exe files. Successfully installed the 2.0 version
and received the same error message when I tried to reinstall Systemworks.
The Symantec rep said to go to Microsoft's website and download the installer
2.1 version and this would fix the problem. I searched the Microsoft site
and can't find a 2.1 version.

I'm very tired after 8 hours of tech support from India. I was in the
process of upgrading the ram anyway and these are the same tech people who
tried to tell me that "by increasing the ram, the missing dll file would
appear". I was born one day, but not yesterday.

Does anyone have a recommendation/solution? Otherwise I have to ask for a
refund for these folks.

Thanks a million

Please respond: eoee-tp5f@spamex.com
8 answers Last reply
More about unable load norton systemworks missing windows

    Get a refund.

    RK wrote:
    > I am trying to help some people get up and running after a neglected
    > computer. They are running Win 98 on an older PII Gateway. I upgraded
    > their ram to 192 and they have sufficient hard disk space. They had two
    > viruses (Bug Bear and Bug Bear B) that I removed. I downloaded and
    > installed all of the critical windows updates and did a spyware removal.
    > They didn't have any antivirus software running so we purchased Norton
    > Systemworks 2005.
    >
    > I run into the same problem everytime I try to install the Norton product.
    > Error 1723, Installation failed. Problems with windows installer, missing
    > dll.
    >
    > Sooooo, I followed the directions on Syamtec's site to remove the failed
    > software install. Downloaded Windows installer 2.0, booted to DOS and
    > renamed the msi*.dll and exe files. Successfully installed the 2.0
    > version
    > and received the same error message when I tried to reinstall Systemworks.
    > The Symantec rep said to go to Microsoft's website and download the
    > installer
    > 2.1 version and this would fix the problem. I searched the Microsoft site
    > and can't find a 2.1 version.
    >
    > I'm very tired after 8 hours of tech support from India. I was in the
    > process of upgrading the ram anyway and these are the same tech people who
    > tried to tell me that "by increasing the ram, the missing dll file would
    > appear". I was born one day, but not yesterday.
    >
    > Does anyone have a recommendation/solution? Otherwise I have to ask for a
    > refund for these folks.
    >
    > Thanks a million
    >
    > Please respond: eoee-tp5f@spamex.com

    Ditto PA Bear....get the refund. NIS 2005 is simply bad news on Win98 (and not
    exactly good news on anything else either).
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "RK" <RK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]

    > Sooooo, I followed the directions on Syamtec's site to remove the failed
    > software install. Downloaded Windows installer 2.0, booted to DOS and
    > renamed the msi*.dll and exe files. Successfully installed the 2.0
    version
    > and received the same error message when I tried to reinstall Systemworks.
    > The Symantec rep said to go to Microsoft's website and download the
    installer
    > 2.1 version and this would fix the problem. I searched the Microsoft site
    > and can't find a 2.1 version.
    >
    > I'm very tired after 8 hours of tech support from India. I was in the
    > process of upgrading the ram anyway and these are the same tech people who
    > tried to tell me that "by increasing the ram, the missing dll file would
    > appear". I was born one day, but not yesterday.
    >
    > Does anyone have a recommendation/solution? Otherwise I have to ask for a

    The problem with NSW is that if there are any files left over after removing
    a previous instal is that a newer version won't load until they are removed.
    I find following the manual removal as suggested on their web site will
    allow the new instal. Mind I also agree with Glee and the others regarding
    NSW on a 98 computer. Bob

    This site have a utility called SymNRT
    that might help to remove the remnants.

    "Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    "RK" <RK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am trying to help some people get up and running after a neglected
    > computer. They are running Win 98 on an older PII Gateway. I upgraded
    > their ram to 192 and they have sufficient hard disk space. They had two
    > viruses (Bug Bear and Bug Bear B) that I removed. I downloaded and
    installed
    > all of the critical windows updates and did a spyware removal. They
    didn't
    > have any antivirus software running so we purchased Norton Systemworks
    2005.

    > I run into the same problem everytime I try to install the Norton product.
    > Error 1723, Installation failed. Problems with windows installer, missing
    > dll.
    >
    > Sooooo, I followed the directions on Syamtec's site to remove the failed
    > software install. Downloaded Windows installer 2.0, booted to DOS and
    > renamed the msi*.dll and exe files. Successfully installed the 2.0
    version
    > and received the same error message when I tried to reinstall Systemworks.
    > The Symantec rep said to go to Microsoft's website and download the
    installer
    > 2.1 version and this would fix the problem. I searched the Microsoft site
    > and can't find a 2.1 version.
    >
    > I'm very tired after 8 hours of tech support from India. I was in the
    > process of upgrading the ram anyway and these are the same tech people who
    > tried to tell me that "by increasing the ram, the missing dll file would
    > appear". I was born one day, but not yesterday.
    >
    > Does anyone have a recommendation/solution? Otherwise I have to ask for a
    > refund for these folks.
    >
    > Thanks a million
    >
    > Please respond: eoee-tp5f@spamex.com

    The problem with NSW is that if there are any files left over after removing
    a previous instal is that a newer version won't load until they are removed.
    I find following the manual removal as suggested on their web site will
    allow the new instal. Mind I also agree with Glee and the others regarding
    NSW on a 98 computer. Bob

    SymNRT is only good for 2004 and 2005 versions. You'll need Rnav2003.exe
    for 2003 or earlier versions.
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

    AAH wrote:
    > This site have a utility called SymNRT
    > that might help to remove the remnants.
    >

    > "Bob B" <bob@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    > "RK" <RK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I am trying to help some people get up and running after a neglected
    > > computer. They are running Win 98 on an older PII Gateway. I
    > > upgraded their ram to 192 and they have sufficient hard disk space.
    > > They had two viruses (Bug Bear and Bug Bear B) that I removed. I
    > > downloaded and installed all of the critical windows updates and did a
    > > spyware removal. They didn't have any antivirus software running so we
    > > purchased Norton Systemworks 2005.
    > >
    > > I run into the same problem everytime I try to install the Norton
    > > product. Error 1723, Installation failed. Problems with windows
    > > installer, missing dll.
    > >
    > > Sooooo, I followed the directions on Syamtec's site to remove the failed
    > > software install. Downloaded Windows installer 2.0, booted to DOS and
    > > renamed the msi*.dll and exe files. Successfully installed the 2.0
    > > version and received the same error message when I tried to reinstall
    > > Systemworks. The Symantec rep said to go to Microsoft's website and
    > > download the installer
    > > 2.1 version and this would fix the problem. I searched the Microsoft
    > > site and can't find a 2.1 version.
    > >
    > > I'm very tired after 8 hours of tech support from India. I was in the
    > > process of upgrading the ram anyway and these are the same tech people
    > > who tried to tell me that "by increasing the ram, the missing dll file
    > > would appear". I was born one day, but not yesterday.
    > >
    > > Does anyone have a recommendation/solution? Otherwise I have to ask
    > > for a refund for these folks.
    > >
    > > Thanks a million
    > >
    > > Please respond: eoee-tp5f@spamex.com
    >
    > The problem with NSW is that if there are any files left over after
    > removing a previous instal is that a newer version won't load until they
    > are removed. I find following the manual removal as suggested on their
    > web site will allow the new instal. Mind I also agree with Glee and the
    > others regarding NSW on a 98 computer. Bob

    Can you please pinpoint the URL for
    RNAV203.EXE
    Thanks

    "AAH" <aah@chakcomnet.net> wrote in message