Temp folder

Over several years my \windows\temp folder has grown in size to 414MB. I've
read elsewhere that the entie folder can be deleted without any harm and
windows wil simply create another empty copy upon the next startup. In fact
several sites advise deleting at least all the temp folder contents weekly.
Given the name of the folder this seems like reasonable advice but I'd feel
more comfortable seeing it here where presumably bad advice is much less
likely. So, can I safely delete all the folders and files in c:\windows\temp
?

FWIW I tried entering the search term "temp folder" in the forum search box
to seeif this was covered already but all I got was a completely blank page
except for the Microsoft Technet banner.
4 answers Last reply
More about temp folder

    On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 22:35:03 -0700, "Dick"
    <Dick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Over several years my \windows\temp folder has grown in size to 414MB. I've
    >read elsewhere that the entie folder can be deleted without any harm and
    >windows wil simply create another empty copy upon the next startup. In fact
    >several sites advise deleting at least all the temp folder contents weekly.
    >Given the name of the folder this seems like reasonable advice but I'd feel
    >more comfortable seeing it here where presumably bad advice is much less
    >likely. So, can I safely delete all the folders and files in c:\windows\temp
    >?
    >
    >FWIW I tried entering the search term "temp folder" in the forum search box
    >to seeif this was covered already but all I got was a completely blank page
    >except for the Microsoft Technet banner.

    Dick,

    Yes, also C:\temp if you have that folder. Just be sure to delete
    the files right after a boot to Windows as programs and system
    changes put files in there that are used after a restart. After
    Windows loads the files are useless and can cause problems.
    No need to delete the folders.

    I have a shortcut to a batch file in the Quick Launch bar that I
    click on right after a boot to Windows that deletes those files and
    many others.
    I don't have it run automatically from the Startup folder as I
    prefer to have control over it.

    Regards,

    Bill Watt
    Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/

    "Dick" <Dick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    > Over several years my \windows\temp folder has grown in size to 414MB.
    I've
    > read elsewhere that the entie folder can be deleted without any harm and
    > windows wil simply create another empty copy upon the next startup. In
    fact
    > several sites advise deleting at least all the temp folder contents
    weekly.
    > Given the name of the folder this seems like reasonable advice but I'd
    feel
    > more comfortable seeing it here where presumably bad advice is much less
    > likely. So, can I safely delete all the folders and files in
    c:\windows\temp ?

    There is a general solution to every question:
    can I safely DELete c:\foldername\*.* ?

    1. Rename the folder something else e.g. c:\dud\
    Rename in DOS if Windows will not let you.
    2. Reboot and run the PC as normal.
    3. If any file is needed in the path c:\foldername\
    you will get an error message complaining that
    it cannot be found, and you can rename things
    back the way they were.
    4. If you get no error messages for a week or
    so you can safely DELete c:\dud\*.*

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Just delete the contents (not the folder).
    If a file is being used, you will get a message that you cannot delete
    it, so you may find it easier to sort by date and just delete
    everything (files and folders) in C:\Windows\Temp before the current
    session.
    I empty mine every month or two or when I think of it (like now)

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Dick"
    <Dick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Over several years my \windows\temp folder has grown in size to 414MB. I've
    >read elsewhere that the entie folder can be deleted without any harm and
    >windows wil simply create another empty copy upon the next startup. In fact
    >several sites advise deleting at least all the temp folder contents weekly.
    >Given the name of the folder this seems like reasonable advice but I'd feel
    >more comfortable seeing it here where presumably bad advice is much less
    >likely. So, can I safely delete all the folders and files in c:\windows\temp
    >?

    When you or Edwards get as fat as that, delete the contents of
    "C:\Windows\TEMP". Delete contents only.

    Under normal circumstances, C:\WINDOWS\TEMP can be cleared of
    files/folders after a fresh boot. You need the fresh boot, because
    something may be sitting there, waiting to "complete" an install. You
    will likely have seen a message about it, though. Anyway, you should
    know whether you've installed something since boot. Now, some files may
    return after the delete. "WebPoolFileFile" is one. That will come back
    next boot or when you run McAfee.

    I have seen one poster who objected, saying one should browse through
    those files, looking for .log's. He said it might be interesting to see
    whether there is an error message or something inside. It was too late
    for me by then.

    Naturally, if you have actually installed something into TEMP, there
    might be a Registry connection to it. Those, you need to un/re-install
    elsewhere. Finally, I even saw a poster who had system files in there,
    perhaps it was the Temporary Internet Files in there. That shouldn't be!
    Well, to be certain, is C:\Windows\TEMP mentioned in any of these
    Registry keys...?...

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\She
    ll Folders
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Use
    r Shell Folders

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "Dick" <Dick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Over several years my \windows\temp folder has grown in size to 414MB.
    I've
    | read elsewhere that the entie folder can be deleted without any harm
    and
    | windows wil simply create another empty copy upon the next startup.
    In fact
    | several sites advise deleting at least all the temp folder contents
    weekly.
    | Given the name of the folder this seems like reasonable advice but I'd
    feel
    | more comfortable seeing it here where presumably bad advice is much
    less
    | likely. So, can I safely delete all the folders and files in
    c:\windows\temp
    | ?
    |
    | FWIW I tried entering the search term "temp folder" in the forum
    search box
    | to seeif this was covered already but all I got was a completely blank
    page
    | except for the Microsoft Technet banner.

Microsoft Windows