Temp folder

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
June 16, 2005 2:35:03 AM

Over several years my \windows\temp folder has grown in size to 414MB. I've
read elsewhere that the entie folder can be deleted without any harm and
windows wil simply create another empty copy upon the next startup. In fact
several sites advise deleting at least all the temp folder contents weekly.
Given the name of the folder this seems like reasonable advice but I'd feel
more comfortable seeing it here where presumably bad advice is much less
likely. So, can I safely delete all the folders and files in c:\windows\temp
?

FWIW I tried entering the search term "temp folder" in the forum search box
to seeif this was covered already but all I got was a completely blank page
except for the Microsoft Technet banner.

More about : temp folder

Anonymous
June 16, 2005 6:12:28 AM

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 22:35:03 -0700, "Dick"
<Dick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Over several years my \windows\temp folder has grown in size to 414MB. I've
>read elsewhere that the entie folder can be deleted without any harm and
>windows wil simply create another empty copy upon the next startup. In fact
>several sites advise deleting at least all the temp folder contents weekly.
>Given the name of the folder this seems like reasonable advice but I'd feel
>more comfortable seeing it here where presumably bad advice is much less
>likely. So, can I safely delete all the folders and files in c:\windows\temp
>?
>
>FWIW I tried entering the search term "temp folder" in the forum search box
>to seeif this was covered already but all I got was a completely blank page
>except for the Microsoft Technet banner.

Dick,

Yes, also C:\temp if you have that folder. Just be sure to delete
the files right after a boot to Windows as programs and system
changes put files in there that are used after a restart. After
Windows loads the files are useless and can cause problems.
No need to delete the folders.

I have a shortcut to a batch file in the Quick Launch bar that I
click on right after a boot to Windows that deletes those files and
many others.
I don't have it run automatically from the Startup folder as I
prefer to have control over it.

Regards,

Bill Watt
Computer Help and Information http://home.ptd.net/~bwatt/
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 1:31:14 PM

"Dick" <Dick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Over several years my \windows\temp folder has grown in size to 414MB.
I've
> read elsewhere that the entie folder can be deleted without any harm and
> windows wil simply create another empty copy upon the next startup. In
fact
> several sites advise deleting at least all the temp folder contents
weekly.
> Given the name of the folder this seems like reasonable advice but I'd
feel
> more comfortable seeing it here where presumably bad advice is much less
> likely. So, can I safely delete all the folders and files in
c:\windows\temp ?

There is a general solution to every question:
can I safely DELete c:\foldername\*.* ?

1. Rename the folder something else e.g. c:\dud\
Rename in DOS if Windows will not let you.
2. Reboot and run the PC as normal.
3. If any file is needed in the path c:\foldername\
you will get an error message complaining that
it cannot be found, and you can rename things
back the way they were.
4. If you get no error messages for a week or
so you can safely DELete c:\dud\*.*

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Just delete the contents (not the folder).
If a file is being used, you will get a message that you cannot delete
it, so you may find it easier to sort by date and just delete
everything (files and folders) in C:\Windows\Temp before the current
session.
I empty mine every month or two or when I think of it (like now)

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion, "Dick"
<Dick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Over several years my \windows\temp folder has grown in size to 414MB. I've
>read elsewhere that the entie folder can be deleted without any harm and
>windows wil simply create another empty copy upon the next startup. In fact
>several sites advise deleting at least all the temp folder contents weekly.
>Given the name of the folder this seems like reasonable advice but I'd feel
>more comfortable seeing it here where presumably bad advice is much less
>likely. So, can I safely delete all the folders and files in c:\windows\temp
>?
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 9:06:28 PM

When you or Edwards get as fat as that, delete the contents of
"C:\Windows\TEMP". Delete contents only.

Under normal circumstances, C:\WINDOWS\TEMP can be cleared of
files/folders after a fresh boot. You need the fresh boot, because
something may be sitting there, waiting to "complete" an install. You
will likely have seen a message about it, though. Anyway, you should
know whether you've installed something since boot. Now, some files may
return after the delete. "WebPoolFileFile" is one. That will come back
next boot or when you run McAfee.

I have seen one poster who objected, saying one should browse through
those files, looking for .log's. He said it might be interesting to see
whether there is an error message or something inside. It was too late
for me by then.

Naturally, if you have actually installed something into TEMP, there
might be a Registry connection to it. Those, you need to un/re-install
elsewhere. Finally, I even saw a poster who had system files in there,
perhaps it was the Temporary Internet Files in there. That shouldn't be!
Well, to be certain, is C:\Windows\TEMP mentioned in any of these
Registry keys...?...

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\She
ll Folders
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Use
r Shell Folders

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,