.WAV to .MP3 in Sound Recorder?

x-no-archive: yes

I have a .wav file which I'd like to save in .mp3 format. The Win98SE Sound
Recorder help says that to save in a new format, click "File>Save As . . .",
then click "Change . . ." and select an audio format. When I select the
"MPEG Layer 3" format option (which changes the "Name" from "CD Quality" to
"untitled") and click OK, the "Save As" dialog returns with the proper
format but still with the .wav extension and no option to save as
"filename.mp3". Since I'm a novice when it comes to audio formats, is "MPEG
Layer 3" the same as .mp3, and am I following the correct procedure in order
to create an .mp3 file? Thanks.

Dave

--
ROT13 the "reply to" for actual e-mail address.

TANSTAAFL

A is A

I was invited to join Paranoids Anonymous,
but they won't tell me where the meetings are.
2 answers Last reply
More about sound recorder

    Dave wrote:
    > x-no-archive: yes
    >
    > I have a .wav file which I'd like to save in .mp3 format. The Win98SE
    > Sound Recorder help says that to save in a new format, click
    > "File>Save As . . .", then click "Change . . ." and select an audio
    > format. When I select the "MPEG Layer 3" format option (which changes
    > the "Name" from "CD Quality" to "untitled") and click OK, the "Save
    > As" dialog returns with the proper format but still with the .wav
    > extension and no option to save as "filename.mp3".

    > Since I'm a novice
    > when it comes to audio formats, is "MPEG Layer 3" the same as .mp3,
    > and am I following the correct procedure in order to create an .mp3
    > file? Thanks.

    Yes and sorta.

    With Sound Recorder, once you select the format and that window closes
    you are back at the "save as" window. Just type in your filename and
    use the drop down to change "type" to "all files".

    But you probably are't going to get a very good MP3 using Sound
    Recorder...to encode the wave to MP3 it is using the Windows ACM (audio
    compression manager) and the installed codec for MP3. Unless you have
    specifically changed the normal Fraunhofer codec there to a better one
    it will only make low quality MP3s. Better to go get something like
    CDex...it has an excellent included codec and will do all the wave<>mp3
    you want, "rip" from CD and more.
    http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH wrote:

    >With Sound Recorder, once you select the format and that window closes
    >you are back at the "save as" window. Just type in your filename and
    >use the drop down to change "type" to "all files".

    Be warned: Whilst this will actually work with many players, it is still a wav
    file containing an mp3 stream and not a real mp3 file. This might not work
    properly in each and every environment. (Perhaps but I'm too lazy to test:
    Linux, iPod, DVD players)
    Get Razorlame (http://www.dors.de/razorlame/) and create proper mp3 files.

MP3 Format Windows