Cannot get icons into Quick Launch

In 98SE, my quick launch icons have disappeared and I'm unable to get them
back. I have the quick launch box next to the start button, quick launch is
enabled after right click>toolbars, and I have ticked 'show title' so the
words Quick Launch are showing in the quick launch space. However I'm quite
unable to drag and drop any icons/shortcuts into the quick launch space from
the desktop or start menu. What has gone wrong?
8 answers Last reply
More about cannot icons quick launch

    "pauliner" <pauliner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > In 98SE, my quick launch icons have disappeared and I'm unable to get them
    > back. I have the quick launch box next to the start button, quick launch
    is
    > enabled after right click>toolbars, and I have ticked 'show title' so the
    > words Quick Launch are showing in the quick launch space. However I'm
    quite
    > unable to drag and drop any icons/shortcuts into the quick launch space
    from
    > the desktop or start menu. What has gone wrong?

    Right-click on Start, select Explore,
    and drill down to

    C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

    Then right-click on the Quick Launch folder
    and select Properties.

    If the Read-only box is checked, as I suspect,
    remove the check mark.

    I followed your instructions but the read only box was already unchecked, so
    that does not seem to be the cause. On the other hand, when I had drilled
    down that far, the previous quick launch icons were all to be found there. It
    just seems to be a problem to get them into the Quick Launch box.

    Any further ideas gratefully received!

    Pauliner

    "Hugh Candlin" wrote:

    > "pauliner" <pauliner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > In 98SE, my quick launch icons have disappeared and I'm unable to get them
    > > back. I have the quick launch box next to the start button, quick launch
    > is
    > > enabled after right click>toolbars, and I have ticked 'show title' so the
    > > words Quick Launch are showing in the quick launch space. However I'm
    > quite
    > > unable to drag and drop any icons/shortcuts into the quick launch space
    > from
    > > the desktop or start menu. What has gone wrong?
    >
    > Right-click on Start, select Explore,
    > and drill down to
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
    >
    > Then right-click on the Quick Launch folder
    > and select Properties.
    >
    > If the Read-only box is checked, as I suspect,
    > remove the check mark.

    Uncheck QL from right click taskbar > toolbars.

    Go to Start > Find Folders/Files, in the named box type: desktop , in the look
    in box select c:. You should come up with a few Show Desktops. Drag the one from
    c:\windows\system down to the QL bar and release the mouse button, select create
    shortcut here. Once done exit Find.

    How to Re-create the Show Desktop Icon on Quick Launch Toolbar
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q190/3/55.asp

    --

    Brian A. Sesko
    { MS MVP_Shell/User }

    > I followed your instructions but the read only box was already unchecked,
    so
    > that does not seem to be the cause. On the other hand, when I had drilled
    > down that far, the previous quick launch icons were all to be found there.
    It
    > just seems to be a problem to get them into the Quick Launch box.

    If the "Quick Launch" title is followed by 2 small arrows,
    then look just to the right of those 2 arrows.

    You should see a small horizontal bar.

    If you move the mouse cursor VERY slowly
    over that bar, the cursor will change
    to a double-headed arrow.

    When it does so, click-and-hold-down
    the left mouse button, and drag the bar to the right
    until all of the Quick Launch Bar Icons are exposed.

    Ok, I'm confused now. ;-)
    How do you "Uncheck QL from right click taskbar > toolbars" and then drag one of the
    Show Desktop icons to the QL bar? There won't be a QL bar to drag to, if the QL
    toolbar has been unchecked.
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    > Uncheck QL from right click taskbar > toolbars.
    >

    > Go to Start > Find Folders/Files, in the named box type: desktop , in the look
    > in box select c:. You should come up with a few Show Desktops. Drag the one from
    > c:\windows\system down to the QL bar and release the mouse button, select create
    > shortcut here. Once done exit Find.
    >
    > How to Re-create the Show Desktop Icon on Quick Launch Toolbar
    > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q190/3/55.asp
    >

    > --
    >
    > Brian A. Sesko
    > { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > http://basconotw.mvps.org/
    >

    > "pauliner" <pauliner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > In 98SE, my quick launch icons have disappeared and I'm unable to get them
    > > back. I have the quick launch box next to the start button, quick launch is
    > > enabled after right click>toolbars, and I have ticked 'show title' so the
    > > words Quick Launch are showing in the quick launch space. However I'm quite
    > > unable to drag and drop any icons/shortcuts into the quick launch space from
    > > the desktop or start menu. What has gone wrong?

    Got me as well! Don't know what I was thinking, and it was still early. [| 8>{

    --

    > Ok, I'm confused now. ;-)
    > How do you "Uncheck QL from right click taskbar > toolbars" and then drag one
    > of the
    > Show Desktop icons to the QL bar? There won't be a QL bar to drag to, if the
    > QL
    > toolbar has been unchecked.
    > --
    > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >
    > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    >> Uncheck QL from right click taskbar > toolbars.
    >>

    >> Go to Start > Find Folders/Files, in the named box type: desktop , in the
    >> look
    >> in box select c:. You should come up with a few Show Desktops. Drag the one
    >> from
    >> c:\windows\system down to the QL bar and release the mouse button, select
    >> create
    >> shortcut here. Once done exit Find.
    >>
    >> How to Re-create the Show Desktop Icon on Quick Launch Toolbar
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q190/3/55.asp
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> Brian A. Sesko
    >> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    >> Conflicts start where information lacks.
    >> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
    >>

    >> "pauliner" <pauliner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > In 98SE, my quick launch icons have disappeared and I'm unable to get them
    >> > back. I have the quick launch box next to the start button, quick launch is
    >> > enabled after right click>toolbars, and I have ticked 'show title' so the
    >> > words Quick Launch are showing in the quick launch space. However I'm quite
    >> > unable to drag and drop any icons/shortcuts into the quick launch space
    >> > from
    >> > the desktop or start menu. What has gone wrong?

    "pauliner" <pauliner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3E578BE7-5F4B-41EA-8362-4528AFF3D1F5@microsoft.com...
    > In 98SE, my quick launch icons have disappeared and I'm unable to get them
    > back. I have the quick launch box next to the start button, quick launch is
    > enabled after right click>toolbars, and I have ticked 'show title' so the
    > words Quick Launch are showing in the quick launch space. However I'm quite
    > unable to drag and drop any icons/shortcuts into the quick launch space from
    > the desktop or start menu. What has gone wrong?

    I didn't even know the "show title" was an option in the QL, but I just tried it, and
    you can't drag/drop over the title. Resize as Hugh said, or "untitle" it. Why would you
    need the title?

    I'm glad Glee got here first to ponder that one!

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    | Got me as well! Don't know what I was thinking, and it was still
    early. [| 8>{

    | --
    |
    | Brian A. Sesko
    | { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    | Conflicts start where information lacks.
    | http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    | http://basconotw.mvps.org/
    |

    | "glee" <glee29@spamindspring.com> wrote in message
    | > Ok, I'm confused now. ;-)
    | > How do you "Uncheck QL from right click taskbar > toolbars" and then
    drag one
    | > of the
    | > Show Desktop icons to the QL bar? There won't be a QL bar to drag
    to, if the
    | > QL
    | > toolbar has been unchecked.
    | > --
    | > Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    | > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    | >
    | > "Brian A." <gonefish'n@afarawaylake> wrote in message
    | >> Uncheck QL from right click taskbar > toolbars.
    | >>

    | >> Go to Start > Find Folders/Files, in the named box type: desktop ,
    in the
    | >> look
    | >> in box select c:. You should come up with a few Show Desktops. Drag
    the one
    | >> from
    | >> c:\windows\system down to the QL bar and release the mouse button,
    select
    | >> create
    | >> shortcut here. Once done exit Find.
    | >>
    | >> How to Re-create the Show Desktop Icon on Quick Launch Toolbar
    | >> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q190/3/55.asp
    | >>

    | >> --
    | >>
    | >> Brian A. Sesko
    | >> { MS MVP_Shell/User }
    | >> Conflicts start where information lacks.
    | >> http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    | >> http://basconotw.mvps.org/
    | >>

    | >> "pauliner" <pauliner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    I'm quite