Sign in with
Your question

BFG PHYSX board release date: 4/15/2006-4/28/2006

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 30, 2006 2:10:35 PM

Bestbuy.com has a release date of 4/15/2006-4/26/2006 on this board! I am excited and will get one. They are like the little guy running between two fighting giants. Booya.
April 30, 2006 3:09:12 PM

I'll get the cheaper brand.
April 30, 2006 7:27:18 PM

I'd go buy it at Newegg.
Related resources
May 1, 2006 5:26:13 AM

I'm looking forward to their release too. However, as others have mentioned, get it at newegg instead of Bestbuy. You'll save 25% or more, most likely.

I must admit, I'm looking forward to the release more for some benchmarks then to rush right out and buy one. UT2k7 is supposed to support it, and Cell Factor looks cool too. But if there is no major difference in the games I'm going to be playing, why spend the money you know?

I'm just really looking forward to some benchmarks. This has some serious possibilities, whether or not it gets properly utilized remains to be seen.
May 1, 2006 5:39:50 AM

I'm looking to getting this new physics card as well, for GRAW but now I haved played the demo and I'm not impressed. :(  So I'm looking forward to the 2K7 as well and hopefully a good for me to buy this card. :D 
May 1, 2006 6:33:20 AM

Hell I dont like fancy explotions and such, I'd get a physics card in order to let the GPU focus on other stuff, it'll surely improve performance.
May 1, 2006 6:36:30 AM

ummm..Sparticus if by 'two fighting giants' you mean nVidia and ATi then you have the wrong idea. this is NOT a graphics card. i'm sure if you search for a few posts on this topic you'l find the info that this is a PHYSICS proc. thta means it will deal with how objects move, gravity, clothing, and etc. then this data will be sent to the gpu to be rendered.

i do find it interesting that ATi's unified shader architecture is suppossed to do all this on the gpu when dx10 comes out. i guess this is what nVidia and ATi are talking about with a SLi/Crossfire setup.
May 1, 2006 8:06:31 AM

Yeah, 2k7 looks awesome. Though I have to wonder if it'll be DX10 only... Not sure if I want to upgrade to Vista until it's been out for a few years... Look how many problems XP had when it first hit the scene...
May 1, 2006 8:11:28 AM

Quote:
Hell I dont like fancy explotions and such, I'd get a physics card in order to let the GPU focus on other stuff, it'll surely improve performance.

Here's hoping. :D 
May 1, 2006 9:37:29 AM

The games should be backward compatability. Like them old games that can be used DX9.c, same with 2K7 if it's DX10, it can still be played with DX9.c but it would be limited with the advance effects that can only be utilize by DX10. But I'm guessing it still gonna be great even at DX9.c version. :D 
May 1, 2006 10:57:43 AM

Quote:

i hope so, but the only game i will buy one for is UT2007, and is it worth spending 100pound to get the best effects in ONE game? i dunno, atleast with a gfx it improves all my games.
May 1, 2006 11:59:44 AM

Quote:
Bestbuy.com has a release date of 4/15/2006-4/26/2006 on this board! I am excited and will get one. They are like the little guy running between two fighting giants. Booya.

Date of obtaining the value of the money out of this card: 2007 :p 

Please God, people, don't buy these. Don't make the market think PC builders are willing to pay $300 to do something thats as little as physics. Soon games will support dual-core processing, with one core dedicated to physics or something else CPU-intensive, one to the rest of the game (I'm guessing).

I think a lot of you are getting the wrong idea. The PPU will not free up resources on your VGU, but rather your CPU.

Does this mean it's not worth buying? No, it's not worth buying at $300 with a games-supported list only 20 titles long going into 2007. Will it be worth it for $150 with nearly every major game on the market supporting it ? Sure.
May 1, 2006 1:04:24 PM

Games developers are only going to support it though if a lot of people have it. Its kind of a catch 22.

If no one buys them because theres only a few games that support it, then games developers likely won't produce any more games that use it.

Everyone buys it, yes there will only be a few games at first that support it, but games developers will be more inclined to use its features.

And a general purpose CPU even with an entire core dedicated to physics won't be able to match the processing power of a dedicated card.

Oh and I've had XP Pro since before it was officially released. Never really had a problem with it.
May 1, 2006 1:40:47 PM

I agree, but I could just buy a second X2 for $300. That'd be a lot more useful than a $300 PCI Card with a single use.
!