EXPLORER.EXE Question. Help needed asap!

Hi.
Yesterday something downloaded on my computer and it was running very
slowly.
I deleted the file and everything froze up. Everytime I tried to open
something it would say there wasn’t a program to open it with.
All my icons turned into "window" icons.
Then it made me restart.

When I restarted my computer the ONLY thing that would load was my
background. (A picture of my son).
I figure if EVERYTHING was deleted off the harddrive. That wouldn’t
load. So obviously everything is on there yet. I just can’t get to it.

I can’t see ANYTHING on there BUT the background.

An illegal operation for EXPLORER does pop up.

When you click on the details it says "EXPLORER caused an invalid
page fault in module EXPLORER.EXE" and then has tons of numbers and
letters throughout the thing. (Not sure what those mean).

So, my question is this...

Do I have to reformat (wipe everything out) of my computer? Can I get
the EXPLORER.EXE back WITHOUT losing all my pictures and important
stuff?

I tried calling the support lines and they want to charge me $35 to
$40. I am not going to pay that to be told "reinstall windows"

I am just asking because I do have IMPORTANT stuff on my computer.
That if I CAN save.. I would really love to.
I don’t want to go reformat it.. and wipe EVERYTHING off... if it’s
fixable.

(Sorry. I dont know much about computers).

If someone could please let me. I would really appreicate it.

P.S. I can’t get on ANYTHING on my computer. A few people told me to
start in safe mode through start up. Nothing is on there. I did the
CTRL when it started up and started it in safe mode. Still the same
thing. EVERYTHING is gone but the background.. (No icons, no clock, no
NOTHING) on the desktop. Just the illegal operation box.

Thanks,
Casey

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-EXPLORER.EXE-Help-needed-asap-ftopict546176.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1725756

Blank Desktop or Illegal Operations Error Message After You Install Internet
Explorer:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=kb;en-us;249191

Recovering From a Failed Internet Explorer Upgrade in Windows 98:
http://www.cs.bsu.edu/~gjjones/administrivia/stories/2003/03/21/recoveringFromAFailedInternetExplorerUpgradeInWindows98.html

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }

"Mommy2Brayden" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> Hi.
> Yesterday something downloaded on my computer and it was running very
> slowly.
> I deleted the file and everything froze up. Everytime I tried to open
> something it would say there wasn't a program to open it with.
> All my icons turned into "window" icons.
> Then it made me restart.
>
> When I restarted my computer the ONLY thing that would load was my
> background. (A picture of my son).
> I figure if EVERYTHING was deleted off the harddrive. That wouldn't
> load. So obviously everything is on there yet. I just can't get to it.
>
> I can't see ANYTHING on there BUT the background.
>
> An illegal operation for EXPLORER does pop up.
>
> When you click on the details it says "EXPLORER caused an invalid
> page fault in module EXPLORER.EXE" and then has tons of numbers and
> letters throughout the thing. (Not sure what those mean).
>
> So, my question is this...
>
> Do I have to reformat (wipe everything out) of my computer? Can I get
> the EXPLORER.EXE back WITHOUT losing all my pictures and important
> stuff?
>
> I tried calling the support lines and they want to charge me $35 to
> $40. I am not going to pay that to be told "reinstall windows"
>
> I am just asking because I do have IMPORTANT stuff on my computer.
> That if I CAN save.. I would really love to.
> I don't want to go reformat it.. and wipe EVERYTHING off... if it's
> fixable.
>
> (Sorry. I dont know much about computers).
>

> If someone could please let me. I would really appreicate it.
>
> P.S. I can't get on ANYTHING on my computer. A few people told me to
> start in safe mode through start up. Nothing is on there. I did the
> CTRL when it started up and started it in safe mode. Still the same
> thing. EVERYTHING is gone but the background.. (No icons, no clock, no
> NOTHING) on the desktop. Just the illegal operation box.
>
> Thanks,
> Casey

> Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-EXPLORER.EXE-Help-needed-asap-ftopict546176.html

What "something" did you download? What file did you delete? Exactly how did it
"make" you restart?

First thing to try is to restore the Registry to the date JUST PRIOR to when the
problem started....in other words, to the date just before you downloaded this "bad"
file.

To boot to DOS and restore a previous Registry:
-Start the computer and hold down the CTRL key till the Windows 98 Startup menu
(boot menu) appears.
OR
- Repeatedly tap the F8 key after the memory count to bring up the boot menu.
-Use the arrow keys to select "Command Prompt Only" and press Enter.
-Type the following and press Enter after each line:
smartdrv
scanreg /restore
Follow the prompts and select most recent rb###.cab file dated prior to the problem.

The backup files will be listed in rb###.cab format, and dated. The ###'s in the
file names won't be in date order. Don't use the one named rbbad.cab. Don't
restore a backup dated more than a couple of weeks old.
--
Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm