MemoryKeyDriver for W98

A couple of days ago i posted a question about availability of a USB memory
key driver for W98. I recently purchased a laptop and want to be able to
easily swap files with my older desktop which uses W98.
Slattery_T@bls.gov suggested I go to the manufacturer's website to look for
a driver. I found a driver for this purpose on the Dell website, and
downloaded the driver and instructions. But, the computer cannot find the
driver, even when I select the folder where the downloaded driver is located.
Has anyone out there had this problem, or can tell me how to solve the
problem?
--
jwjim
8 answers Last reply

    "jwjim@discussions.microsoft.com"
    <jwjimdiscussionsmicrosoftcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >A couple of days ago i posted a question about availability of a USB memory
    >key driver for W98. I recently purchased a laptop and want to be able to
    >easily swap files with my older desktop which uses W98.
    >Slattery_T@bls.gov suggested I go to the manufacturer's website to look for
    >a driver. I found a driver for this purpose on the Dell website, and
    >downloaded the driver and instructions. But, the computer cannot find the
    >driver, even when I select the folder where the downloaded driver is located.
    >Has anyone out there had this problem, or can tell me how to solve the
    >problem?

    Dell drivers would be for Dell products. Is your USB memory key from
    Dell? If not, what is the brand name of the memory key? That is
    where you need to look for the proper drivers - the web site of the
    company that *manufactured* the memory key.

    If you give is the brand and model name of the memory key I will look
    for the Windows 98 drivers for you.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Ron,
    It is a Dell memory key (Part No. T5173) I bought with my laptop. I had
    assumed all memory keys from Dell would use the same driver; so, when i
    downloaded the driver, I did not check to see if the driver was compatible
    with this part.
    Thanks for your help.

    Jim

    "Ron Martell" wrote:

    > "jwjim@discussions.microsoft.com"
    > <jwjimdiscussionsmicrosoftcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >A couple of days ago i posted a question about availability of a USB memory
    > >key driver for W98. I recently purchased a laptop and want to be able to
    > >easily swap files with my older desktop which uses W98.
    > >Slattery_T@bls.gov suggested I go to the manufacturer's website to look for
    > >a driver. I found a driver for this purpose on the Dell website, and
    > >downloaded the driver and instructions. But, the computer cannot find the
    > >driver, even when I select the folder where the downloaded driver is located.
    > >Has anyone out there had this problem, or can tell me how to solve the
    > >problem?
    >
    > Dell drivers would be for Dell products. Is your USB memory key from
    > Dell? If not, what is the brand name of the memory key? That is
    > where you need to look for the proper drivers - the web site of the
    > company that *manufactured* the memory key.
    >
    > If you give is the brand and model name of the memory key I will look
    > for the Windows 98 drivers for you.
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    General instructions for installing USB devices
    UNPLUG the device
    run the installer program, Do Not use the browse window in the found new
    items window
    reboot if called for
    plug in the item and let the new hardware wizard find and add the item

    --
    Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    spybot http://security.kolla.de
    <jwjimdiscussionsmicrosoftcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Ron,
    | It is a Dell memory key (Part No. T5173) I bought with my laptop. I had
    | assumed all memory keys from Dell would use the same driver; so, when i
    | downloaded the driver, I did not check to see if the driver was
    compatible
    | with this part.
    | Thanks for your help.
    |
    | Jim
    |
    | "Ron Martell" wrote:
    |
    | > "jwjim@discussions.microsoft.com"
    | > <jwjimdiscussionsmicrosoftcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    | >
    | > >A couple of days ago i posted a question about availability of a USB
    memory
    | > >key driver for W98. I recently purchased a laptop and want to be able
    | > >easily swap files with my older desktop which uses W98.
    | > >Slattery_T@bls.gov suggested I go to the manufacturer's website to look
    for
    | > >a driver. I found a driver for this purpose on the Dell website, and
    | > >downloaded the driver and instructions. But, the computer cannot find
    the
    | > >driver, even when I select the folder where the downloaded driver is
    located.
    | > >Has anyone out there had this problem, or can tell me how to solve the
    | > >problem?
    | >
    | > Dell drivers would be for Dell products. Is your USB memory key from
    | > Dell? If not, what is the brand name of the memory key? That is
    | > where you need to look for the proper drivers - the web site of the
    | > company that *manufactured* the memory key.
    | >
    | > If you give is the brand and model name of the memory key I will look
    | > for the Windows 98 drivers for you.
    | >
    | > Good luck
    | >

    | > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    | > --
    | > Microsoft MVP
    | > On-Line Help Computer Service
    | > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    | >
    | > In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    | > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Bob,
    When you say "run the installer program", do you mean the "add hardware"
    wizard? I downloaded a file (memorykeydriver.zip) from the Dell site; but no
    installer program was downloaded with it. The set of instuctions I
    downloaded did not mention an installer program; but did say the Add New
    Hardware wizard would start after inserting the memory key.

    jim

    "AlmostBob" wrote:

    > General instructions for installing USB devices
    > UNPLUG the device
    > run the installer program, Do Not use the browse window in the found new
    > items window
    > reboot if called for
    > plug in the item and let the new hardware wizard find and add the item
    >
    > --
    > Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    > spybot http://security.kolla.de
    > AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
    > Etrust/vet/CA 12 Month free trial (till Feb 2005)
    > http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/
    > Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
    > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
    > Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
    > Catalog of removal tools (1)
    > http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
    > Catalog of removal tools (2)
    > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
    > Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
    > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    > links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before use
    > Grateful thanks to the authors/webmasters
    > __
    > "jwjim@discussions.microsoft.com"
    > <jwjimdiscussionsmicrosoftcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | Ron,
    > | It is a Dell memory key (Part No. T5173) I bought with my laptop. I had
    > | assumed all memory keys from Dell would use the same driver; so, when i
    > | downloaded the driver, I did not check to see if the driver was
    > compatible
    > | with this part.
    > | Thanks for your help.
    > |
    > | Jim
    > |
    > | "Ron Martell" wrote:

    > memory
    > for
    > the
    > located.
    > | >
    > | > Dell drivers would be for Dell products. Is your USB memory key from
    > | > Dell? If not, what is the brand name of the memory key? That is
    > | > where you need to look for the proper drivers - the web site of the
    > | > company that *manufactured* the memory key.
    > | >
    > | > If you give is the brand and model name of the memory key I will look
    > | > for the Windows 98 drivers for you.
    > | >
    > | > Good luck
    > | >

    > | > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > | > --
    > | > Microsoft MVP
    > | > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > | > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    > | >
    > | > In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    > | > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Bob,
    I went to a Dell Forum site and found an answer, tho' no solution. the
    posting i read indicate the memory key driver they offer for W98 does not
    work with the newest memory key. So, i need to continue the search for a
    driver.

    Thanks,
    jim

    "AlmostBob" wrote:

    > General instructions for installing USB devices
    > UNPLUG the device
    > run the installer program, Do Not use the browse window in the found new
    > items window
    > reboot if called for
    > plug in the item and let the new hardware wizard find and add the item
    >
    > --
    > Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    > spybot http://security.kolla.de
    > AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
    > Etrust/vet/CA 12 Month free trial (till Feb 2005)
    > http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/
    > Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
    > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
    > Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
    > Catalog of removal tools (1)
    > http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
    > Catalog of removal tools (2)
    > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
    > Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
    > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    > links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before use
    > Grateful thanks to the authors/webmasters
    > __
    > "jwjim@discussions.microsoft.com"
    > <jwjimdiscussionsmicrosoftcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > | Ron,
    > | It is a Dell memory key (Part No. T5173) I bought with my laptop. I had
    > | assumed all memory keys from Dell would use the same driver; so, when i
    > | downloaded the driver, I did not check to see if the driver was
    > compatible
    > | with this part.
    > | Thanks for your help.
    > |
    > | Jim
    > |
    > | "Ron Martell" wrote:

    > memory
    > for
    > the
    > located.
    > | >
    > | > Dell drivers would be for Dell products. Is your USB memory key from
    > | > Dell? If not, what is the brand name of the memory key? That is
    > | > where you need to look for the proper drivers - the web site of the
    > | > company that *manufactured* the memory key.
    > | >
    > | > If you give is the brand and model name of the memory key I will look
    > | > for the Windows 98 drivers for you.
    > | >
    > | > Good luck
    > | >

    > | > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > | > --
    > | > Microsoft MVP
    > | > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > | > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
    > | >
    > | > In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    > | > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    No

    1 UNPLUG the hardware

    2 Unzip the zip file using winzip freezip or other zip utility, .zip files
    are not drivers, they are a method of compressing one or more files to make
    transmission faster.

    3 run the installer program contained within the .zip file (.exe .msi .inf
    or read the readme files to find out exactly how)

    4 reboot if required by installer program

    5 Plug in hardware, the wizard will locate and register the installed driver

    USB devices in windows 98, the driver should be installed BEFORE the
    hardware is connected.
    'Add new hardware' wizard with browse windows etc, only appears when you
    have done something wrong

    when all else fails read the instructions on the web page that you
    downloaded the driver file from,

    --
    Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    spybot http://security.kolla.de
    Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
    Catalog of removal tools (1)
    Catalog of removal tools (2)
    http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

    Grateful thanks to the authors and webmasters
    _
    | Bob,
    | When you say "run the installer program", do you mean the "add hardware"
    | wizard? I downloaded a file (memorykeydriver.zip) from the Dell site; but
    no
    | installer program was downloaded with it. The set of instuctions I
    | downloaded did not mention an installer program; but did say the Add New
    | Hardware wizard would start after inserting the memory key.
    |
    | jim
    |
    | "AlmostBob" wrote:
    |
    | > General instructions for installing USB devices
    | > UNPLUG the device
    | > run the installer program, Do Not use the browse window in the found new
    | > items window
    | > reboot if called for
    | > plug in the item and let the new hardware wizard find and add the item
    | >
    | > --
    | > Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    | > spybot http://security.kolla.de
    | > AVG free antivirus http://www.grisoft.com
    | > Etrust/vet/CA 12 Month free trial (till Feb 2005)
    | > http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/
    | > Etrust/Vet/CA.online Antivirus scan
    | > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/scan.aspx
    | > Panda online AntiVirus scan http://www.pandasoftware.com/ActiveScan/
    | > Catalog of removal tools (1)
    | > http://www.pandasoftware.com/download/utilities/
    | > Catalog of removal tools (2)
    | > http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/newsinfo/collateral.aspx?CID=40387
    | > Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts file
    | > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    | > links provided as a courtesy, read all instructions on the pages before
    use
    | > Grateful thanks to the authors/webmasters
    | > __
    | > "jwjim@discussions.microsoft.com"
    | > <jwjimdiscussionsmicrosoftcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    | > | Ron,
    | > | It is a Dell memory key (Part No. T5173) I bought with my laptop. I
    had
    | > | assumed all memory keys from Dell would use the same driver; so, when
    | > | downloaded the driver, I did not check to see if the driver was
    | > compatible
    | > | with this part.
    | > | Thanks for your help.
    | > |
    | > | Jim
    | > |
    | > | "Ron Martell" wrote:
    | > |

    USB
    | > memory
    | > for
    | > the
    | > located.

    It is quite common for manufacturers to not supply or update drivers for
    Windows 98 for new devices such as these.
    --
    Jeff Richards
    MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)

    "jwjimdiscussionsmicrosoft" wrote:
    > A couple of days ago i posted a question about availability of
    > a USB memory
    > key driver for W98. I recently purchased a laptop and want to
    > be able to
    > easily swap files with my older desktop which uses W98.
    > Slattery_T@bls.gov suggested I go to the manufacturer's
    > website to look for
    > a driver. I found a driver for this purpose on the Dell
    > website, and
    > downloaded the driver and instructions. But, the computer
    > cannot find the
    > driver, even when I select the folder where the downloaded
    > driver is located.
    > Has anyone out there had this problem, or can tell me how to
    > solve the
    > problem?
    > --
    > jwjim

    I just downloaded and installed the same driver. For those who haven’t
    seen it, there’s no exe file in the zip file at all, and if you’re not
    used to installing hardware it’s a bit weird. The solution is:

    1. Unplug the USB storage drive

    2. Unzip the driver into a folder on your desktop

    3. Plug the USB storage device in, and wait for the "new hardware
    found" to come up. When it asks, say you want to search for the
    driver

    4. Select the "specific location" option, browse to the folder on
    your desktop where you unzipped the drivers, then click ok. It should
    then install itself and work fine.

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/General-Discussion-MemoryKeyDriver-W98-ftopict546842.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1739903

Windows