Lost sound

Unable to get any sound on my computer. Picture is good but no sound
--
PB
4 answers Last reply

    Please post back with details, after reading here:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    --
    Glen Ventura, MS MVP Shell/User, A+
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    "PhyllisB" <PhyllisB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Unable to get any sound on my computer. Picture is good but no sound
    > --
    > PB

    I cant wait to see the replies you get regarding
    lack of info given in order for help to be offered.
    But, on another note, there have been a few sound
    related problems & answers posted in this group in the
    last week or so, see if any of the answers relate to
    your problem.

    ...Rex..
    "PhyllisB" <PhyllisB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Unable to get any sound on my computer. Picture is good but no sound
    > --
    > PB

    I have also lost sond to my computer. I have tried reinstalling the drivers
    for my specific sound card. Sound Blaster PCI. I still cannot get the sound
    to work. Ihave gotten it to work in the past. It stopped working when tried
    to reload and repair some ofhte windows me files. Does anyone have nay
    thoughts on a start to my problem?
    --
    Romans Chapter 12

    In Win98SE...
    Here is basically all I know of audio, except you may also look at a
    list of audio devices/drivers in Device Manager. If you go that way,
    BETTER be sure of what you've got now, so that you may change back to
    it. To see what you've got now...

    (a) "Control Panel, System, Device Manager tab, Sound Video & Game
    Controllers branch".
    (b) D-Clk the devices under it, each in turn, for Properties.
    (c) Click the Driver tab, & then click the "Update Driver button".
    (d) Bolt "Display a list..", & click "Next".
    What shows up in the "Models" box?
    (e) Finally, bolt "Show all hardware".
    What is lit up in both the left & right panes?

    That is what is currently installed & active. If you choose others from
    the left/right panes (& click "Next"), it will constitute an uninstall
    of the old & an install of the new. Well, here is all I know...

    With the computer off, un/re-plug all audio wires.

    Well, try "START, Run, CDPLAYER". It is simpler than, for instance, WMP.
    If you get sound there, then it's a setting in WMP, or whatever, at
    fault.

    (1) Is the sound muted? D-Clk the speaker icon in the Tray to see. If no
    speaker is there, then "START button, Settings, Control Panel,
    Multimedia", & check the box for it at bottom.

    (2) "Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Windows Setup tab, Multimedia,
    Volume Control". If it is shown as installed (checked), then uncheck it,
    OK your way out, & even perhaps reboot. Then, do it all again, but this
    time CHECK it.

    (3) In my case, the volume control appears to be part of my audio
    drivers...

    When I do the following procedure, I am asked to supply drivers during
    boot. I bypass the request, & end up with none. Then, I run an .exe
    downloaded from Compaq, which puts them back in. Or, I go to a folder &
    click a Setup.exe in there, when I want the older drivers.

    The point is-- YOU may have to do it that way too. So, prepare.

    (a) Boot to Safe Mode. (Enable Startup Menu at "START, Run, MSConfig,
    Advanced button.)
    (b) "Control Panel, System, Device Manager tab".
    (c) Open the "Sound, video & game controllers" branch, & delete all
    devices under it. This is meant to eliminate "ghosts" of drivers past,
    which are invisible in Normal Mode.
    (d) Reboot to Normal Mode.
    (e) Install your Sound Drivers, if they haven't automatically been
    detected.

    (4) If you are sure of Audio drivers you may have downloaded, that you
    do have a method to reinstall them, then consider...

    (a) "Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Install/Uninstall tab"
    (b) If your Audio driver is mentioned there, uninstall it before
    installing the new.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    "tengokumin" <tengokumin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | I have also lost sond to my computer. I have tried reinstalling the
    drivers
    | for my specific sound card. Sound Blaster PCI. I still cannot get the
    sound
    | to work. Ihave gotten it to work in the past. It stopped working when
    tried
    | to reload and repair some ofhte windows me files. Does anyone have nay
    | thoughts on a start to my problem?
    | --
    | Romans Chapter 12

Computers Microsoft Windows