Closed

Losing DNS lookup, without losing ISP Connection

Win 98 SE,

Dialup to ISP - every now and then I find that I get a web site lookup
failure, checking in DOS window, I still have ping to ip, but not to
name facility

WHaT programme / module can I check/restart to cure/prevent this
problem

Other users ( elsewhere) suggested DNS issues at the ISP end, but a
reconnect doesn't solve it. But a reboot/reconnect does !

Any ideas ?

Steve
14 answers Last reply
More about losing lookup losing connection

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 11:50:29 +0100, Steve Walton
    <sj_walton@nothotmail.com> wrote:

    >Win 98 SE,
    >
    >Dialup to ISP - every now and then I find that I get a web site lookup
    >failure, checking in DOS window, I still have ping to ip, but not to
    >name facility
    >
    >WHaT programme / module can I check/restart to cure/prevent this
    >problem
    >
    >Other users ( elsewhere) suggested DNS issues at the ISP end, but a
    >reconnect doesn't solve it. But a reboot/reconnect does !
    >
    >Any ideas ?

    Anybody ?

    Steve

    If it's very infrequent, forget about it, as it may just be a bad
    connection. Do you connect with your own DUN, or does you ISP provide
    it, as NetZero does? If the latter, contact them or try their help
    screens; shouldn't be too tough to un/re-install. If the former, best
    wait for someone who knows something about it. Are you doing anything
    different on the occasions it fails to connect? What is the precise
    wording of the error message?

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 13:34:05 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:

    >If it's very infrequent, forget about it, as it may just be a bad
    >connection. Do you connect with your own DUN, or does you ISP provide
    >it, as NetZero does? If the latter, contact them or try their help
    >screens; shouldn't be too tough to un/re-install. If the former, best
    >wait for someone who knows something about it. Are you doing anything
    >different on the occasions it fails to connect? What is the precise
    >wording of the error message?

    I use an ISP's connect front end, which works fine every time

    I only use Agent and Opera8 for net use.
    Frequently Opera8 fails to get a web page,
    just a standard no page found from opera - no specific mention of dns
    failure.
    Though if I open up a Dos window, I can ping the dns server but not
    known sites by name, ie bbc.co.uk
    Sometimes Agent fails to access the news server as well.

    This will usually be after the Net conenction has timed out and I have
    reconnected - again 90% of the time no problem.

    What naturally is more annoying / worrying is that closing
    applications, disconnect etc and then restarting doesn't help
    the DOS window still says I have a dns server, can ping it, but still
    no dns lookup

    Clean re-boot - works fine.

    Surely there must be an application I can restart to solve this,
    without having to reboot!

    Steve

    On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 03:08:52 +0100, Steve Walton
    >On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 11:50:29 +0100, Steve Walton

    >>Win 98 SE,

    >>Dialup to ISP - every now and then I find that I get a web site lookup
    >>failure, checking in DOS window, I still have ping to ip, but not to
    >>name facility

    Sounds like DNS failure... or spoofing.

    >>WHaT programme / module can I check/restart to cure/prevent this
    >>problem

    >>Other users ( elsewhere) suggested DNS issues at the ISP end, but a
    >>reconnect doesn't solve it. But a reboot/reconnect does !

    Firstly, let's start with the ISP.

    Some ISPs require you to set the IP addresses for primary and
    secondary (i.e. fallback) Domain Name Servers. Others assign the DNS
    IP addresses when you log into the Internet via the ISP.

    What sometimes happens, is that the ISP changes their DNS IP. This
    works if you are set to get this automatically, but if you had
    specified the (usually correct) DNS IP, it will now break.

    Another gotcha is where there's contradiction between the DNS settings
    within the connectoid vs. those within TCP/IP at the Network
    Properties level. Generally, you don't want to define DNS at the
    network level, but only within the connectoid.

    Secondly, let's look at things that can bonk DNS on your PC.

    There's a file in the Windows base dir called HOSTS (no extension)
    that can override DNS, and this is often populated by malware so that
    attempts to reach popular (or defensive) sites get routed somewhere
    else instead - either to break av updates, harvest passwords via a
    lookalike site, or get free hits that can up their advert revenue.

    You may also have malware, commercial or otherwise, that patches into
    the sockets (Winsock) stack. You can use the free LSPFix tool to
    check this, or a plug-in for AdAware, or functionality built into MS
    AntiSpyware Beta - all three are free downloads.

    Finally, malware that is actively running may trap and fiddle with
    what you are trying to do, so check that out as well.

    Is it only certain sites that fail?

    >------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
    The most accurate diagnostic instrument
    in medicine is the Retrospectoscope
    >------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

    On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 19:32:06 +0200, "cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)"
    <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote:

    >On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 03:08:52 +0100, Steve Walton
    >>On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 11:50:29 +0100, Steve Walton
    >
    >>>Win 98 SE,
    >
    >>>Dialup to ISP - every now and then I find that I get a web site lookup
    >>>failure, checking in DOS window, I still have ping to ip, but not to
    >>>name facility
    >
    >Sounds like DNS failure... or spoofing.
    could be, it generally happens after a connection timeout
    rather than just during an isp session

    >>>WHaT programme / module can I check/restart to cure/prevent this
    >>>problem
    >
    >>>Other users ( elsewhere) suggested DNS issues at the ISP end, but a
    >>>reconnect doesn't solve it. But a reboot/reconnect does !
    >
    >Firstly, let's start with the ISP.
    >
    >Some ISPs require you to set the IP addresses for primary and
    >secondary (i.e. fallback) Domain Name Servers. Others assign the DNS
    >IP addresses when you log into the Internet via the ISP.
    >
    >What sometimes happens, is that the ISP changes their DNS IP. This
    >works if you are set to get this automatically, but if you had
    >specified the (usually correct) DNS IP, it will now break.
    >
    >Another gotcha is where there's contradiction between the DNS settings
    >within the connectoid vs. those within TCP/IP at the Network
    >Properties level. Generally, you don't want to define DNS at the
    >network level, but only within the connectoid.
    I was checking a few things here and the connectoid has server defined
    ip, but a defined 2 dns servers, that aren't the two I have when I use
    ipconfig /all

    So I'll try setting these to server defined and see if this helps the
    situation.

    >Secondly, let's look at things that can bonk DNS on your PC.
    >
    >There's a file in the Windows base dir called HOSTS (no extension)
    >that can override DNS, and this is often populated by malware so that
    >attempts to reach popular (or defensive) sites get routed somewhere
    >else instead - either to break av updates, harvest passwords via a
    >lookalike site, or get free hits that can up their advert revenue.
    >
    >You may also have malware, commercial or otherwise, that patches into
    >the sockets (Winsock) stack. You can use the free LSPFix tool to
    >check this, or a plug-in for AdAware, or functionality built into MS
    >AntiSpyware Beta - all three are free downloads.
    >
    >Finally, malware that is actively running may trap and fiddle with
    >what you are trying to do, so check that out as well.

    I check for these frequently, but will check again.
    regarding HOSTS are you implying this is changed on the fly by malware

    >Is it only certain sites that fail?
    no, and once one has they all do.

    I am using Opera8 and I wonder if this is doing something when it sees
    the connection break.

    Not had so many issues when I ran Opera7 for over a year

    tahks for your help.
    Off to check you web site, can't at the moment dns seems to be down !!

    >>------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
    > The most accurate diagnostic instrument
    > in medicine is the Retrospectoscope
    >>------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

    Steve

    | Update: Oh, gosh, WinIPCfg does have a box for DNS Servers, BUT I am
    | offline now & it is empty.

    DNS Servers online does show an IP Address in WinIPCfg, but not a DNS
    name.

    --
    Thanks or Good Luck,
    There may be humor in this post, and,
    Naturally, you will not sue,
    should things get worse after this,
    PCR
    pcrrcp@netzero.net
    ....snip

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 19:36:33 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:

    >| Update: Oh, gosh, WinIPCfg does have a box for DNS Servers, BUT I am
    >| offline now & it is empty.
    >
    >DNS Servers online does show an IP Address in WinIPCfg, but not a DNS
    >name.

    cheers for you replies

    regarding DNS, any DNS server can be used, but usually you have at
    least a caching DNS server on the ISP network ( so that it is quicker
    to get replies )

    In pure ip-networking terms All host names are resolved via DNS server
    (logically only known by an ip-address - it has a name, but you'd need
    a dns server to resolve ...)

    On Windows a local HOSTS file may play a part, I don't have one

    in dos ipconfig /all will show the DNS server ip-address, you usually
    have 2

    All applications use the DNS server, unless the particular application
    caches, ie saves the resolved ip-address. This usually does not happen
    as the ip-address often change
    try ping bbc.net.uk, it resolves a different address every now and
    then - it has several ip-addresses to balance the load across several
    network connections

    Steve

    | On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 19:36:33 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:
    |
    | >| Update: Oh, gosh, WinIPCfg does have a box for DNS Servers, BUT I
    am
    | >| offline now & it is empty.
    | >
    | >DNS Servers online does show an IP Address in WinIPCfg, but not a DNS
    | >name.
    |
    | cheers for you replies

    Sorry they aren't really helping.

    | regarding DNS, any DNS server can be used, but usually you have at
    | least a caching DNS server on the ISP network ( so that it is quicker
    | to get replies )

    I see. The ISP doesn't do it all, then. Still, have you ever seen the
    wording at "Control Panel, Network, highlight TCP/IP, Properties
    button"? (It says to go to Dial-up Networking). Did you ever change a
    setting with that, at the DNS Configuration or IP Address tabs? I doubt
    I ever did. Oddly, at the former, "Disable DNS" is bolted. At the
    latter, it seems right to see "Obtain an IP Address automatically" is
    bolted.

    At "My Computer, Dial-up Networking, NetZero Properties, Server Types
    tab", I am only checked in the TCP/IP box. Clicking the TCP/IP Settings
    button there, I am set...
    (a) Server assigned IP address.................... Bolted.
    (b) Specify an IP address........................... Unbolted.
    (c) Server assigned name server addresses.... Bolted.
    (d) Specify name server addresses............... Unbolted.
    (e) Use IP Header compression.................... Bolted.
    (f) Use default gateway on remote network... Bolted.

    But that is all NetZero's own doing!

    | In pure ip-networking terms All host names are resolved via DNS server
    | (logically only known by an ip-address - it has a name, but you'd need
    | a dns server to resolve ...)

    That was my understanding.

    | On Windows a local HOSTS file may play a part, I don't have one

    OK. Did you look through the menus/settings of your firewall?

    | in dos ipconfig /all will show the DNS server ip-address, you usually
    | have 2

    I seem to have just one there.

    | All applications use the DNS server, unless the particular application
    | caches, ie saves the resolved ip-address. This usually does not happen
    | as the ip-address often change

    Then, it could be Opera at fault, as you suspect. I hope they will
    respond to your query. Keep us informed.

    On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 18:44:59 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:

    >"Steve Walton" <sj_walton@nothotmail.com> wrote in message
    >| On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 19:36:33 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:
    <snip>

    >| All applications use the DNS server, unless the particular application
    >| caches, ie saves the resolved ip-address. This usually does not happen
    >| as the ip-address often change
    >
    >Then, it could be Opera at fault, as you suspect. I hope they will
    >respond to your query. Keep us informed.

    Thanks for the replies, I will keep working on it and let you know

    >| try ping bbc.net.uk, it resolves a different address every now and
    >| then - it has several ip-addresses to balance the load across several
    >| network connections
    >|

    >| Steve

    Steve

    You are welcome. Good luck.

    --
    | On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 18:44:59 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:
    |
    | >"Steve Walton" <sj_walton@nothotmail.com> wrote in message
    | >| On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 19:36:33 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net>
    wrote:
    | <snip>

    | >|
    | >| All applications use the DNS server, unless the particular
    application
    | >| caches, ie saves the resolved ip-address. This usually does not
    happen
    | >| as the ip-address often change
    | >
    | >Then, it could be Opera at fault, as you suspect. I hope they will
    | >respond to your query. Keep us informed.
    |
    | Thanks for the replies, I will keep working on it and let you know
    |

    | >| try ping bbc.net.uk, it resolves a different address every now and
    | >| then - it has several ip-addresses to balance the load across
    several
    | >| network connections
    | >|
    | >|

    On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 10:13:52 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:

    >You are welcome. Good luck.

    i've started a new thread for this
    as I think the Agent must keep the newserver ip-address in cache for a
    limited time
    whihc has enabled me to use it soemtimes, when Opera8 and DOS can't
    lookup names.

    So now this is a Why does Win98SE lose DNS capability when still
    connected.

    Steve

    Good idea at this point. I hope something comes of it. I hope you have
    gone through the various Windows/ISP/Opera settings screens & posted
    what was there.

    --
    | On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 10:13:52 -0400, "PCR" <pcrrcp@netzero.net> wrote:
    |
    | >You are welcome. Good luck.
    |
    | i've started a new thread for this
    | as I think the Agent must keep the newserver ip-address in cache for a
    | limited time
    | whihc has enabled me to use it soemtimes, when Opera8 and DOS can't
    | lookup names.
    |
    | So now this is a Why does Win98SE lose DNS capability when still
    | connected.
    |

    | Steve
  13. For this kind of DNS problem, you contact the Internet service provider,
    After that check your ping test, through this site http://www.whoisxy.com/ping.aspx , It has the best information of whois informatin,IP address, IP address to domain, domain name to IP,domain name, DNS query details, and ping test!!!
  14. Necropost.

Internet Service Providers Connection DNS Windows