Removing Annoying Password Logon

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
June 17, 2005 8:51:35 PM

I've acquired a used computer that a has an unusual password logon
routine that I can't get rid of. Running Win98SE

I've implemented "Windows Logon", removed all the .pwl files and
removed all the previous ownership and users out of the registry.
But still this annoying password logon routine comes up every time,
but now with the following error message:

"No domain server was available to validate your password. You may
not be able to gain access to some network resources."

I hit "enter" through both the password logon and this error message
and a normal desktop comes up.

I have full access to the internet normally. But access to my home
network fails, no matter how often I set it up.

This logon password routine appears to still be responding to an
artifact of some kind left over from previous corporate owner.

Advice would be appreciated on how to go further than the traditional
removal routines suggested by others ahead of me in this newsgroup.

Regards,

Terry Smythe
Winnipeg, Canada
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 8:51:36 PM

How to Prevent a Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me Logon Prompt at
Startup:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=152104

--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

Terry Smythe wrote:
> I've acquired a used computer that a has an unusual password logon
> routine that I can't get rid of. Running Win98SE
>
> I've implemented "Windows Logon", removed all the .pwl files and
> removed all the previous ownership and users out of the registry.
> But still this annoying password logon routine comes up every time,
> but now with the following error message:
>
> "No domain server was available to validate your password. You may
> not be able to gain access to some network resources."
>
> I hit "enter" through both the password logon and this error message
> and a normal desktop comes up.
>
> I have full access to the internet normally. But access to my home
> network fails, no matter how often I set it up.
>
> This logon password routine appears to still be responding to an
> artifact of some kind left over from previous corporate owner.
>
> Advice would be appreciated on how to go further than the traditional
> removal routines suggested by others ahead of me in this newsgroup.
>
> Regards,
>
> Terry Smythe
> Winnipeg, Canada
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 8:51:36 PM

Have you gone to the Control Panel, removed password requirements and
removed users?

"Terry Smythe" <smythe@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> I've acquired a used computer that a has an unusual password logon
> routine that I can't get rid of. Running Win98SE
>
> I've implemented "Windows Logon", removed all the .pwl files and
> removed all the previous ownership and users out of the registry.
> But still this annoying password logon routine comes up every time,
> but now with the following error message:
>
> "No domain server was available to validate your password. You may
> not be able to gain access to some network resources."
>
> I hit "enter" through both the password logon and this error message
> and a normal desktop comes up.
>
> I have full access to the internet normally. But access to my home
> network fails, no matter how often I set it up.
>
> This logon password routine appears to still be responding to an
> artifact of some kind left over from previous corporate owner.
>
> Advice would be appreciated on how to go further than the traditional
> removal routines suggested by others ahead of me in this newsgroup.
>
> Regards,
>
> Terry Smythe
> Winnipeg, Canada

June 18, 2005 5:05:31 AM

"Terry Smythe" <smythe@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> I've acquired a used computer that a has an unusual password logon
> routine that I can't get rid of. Running Win98SE
>
> I've implemented "Windows Logon", removed all the .pwl files and
> removed all the previous ownership and users out of the registry.
> But still this annoying password logon routine comes up every time,
> but now with the following error message:
>
> "No domain server was available to validate your password. You may
> not be able to gain access to some network resources."
>
> I hit "enter" through both the password logon and this error message
> and a normal desktop comes up.
>
> I have full access to the internet normally. But access to my home
> network fails, no matter how often I set it up.
>
> This logon password routine appears to still be responding to an
> artifact of some kind left over from previous corporate owner.
>
> Advice would be appreciated on how to go further than the traditional
> removal routines suggested by others ahead of me in this newsgroup.

Drill down thru Start => Settings => Control Panel => Network

Double-click "Client for Microsoft Networks"

Remove the checkmark in the box titled
"Log on to Windows NT domain"
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 8:35:51 AM

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:25:30 -0400, "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com>
wrote:

>How to Prevent a Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me Logon Prompt at
>Startup:
>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=152104

Yes, thank you. That has been previously posted and I found it when
searching through past messages prior to posting this appeal. I
did follow these instructions, but did not work in this instance.

I suspect the previous corporate owner had some kind of password
routine accessed on logon from a remote site somewhere to confirm that
an authorized person had just logged on to this computer.

In theory, I could simply have reformatted the drive and re-installed
Win98SE. However, the computer is an older 300mhz HP Pressario. It's
motherboard appears to be of a proprietary design manufactured by
ASUS. Drivers are not available on-line anywhere, so I would have
had no way to wake up on-board audio, on-board video and on-board USB.
So, I have to work within the existing install.

Regards,

Terry
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 8:42:21 AM

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 11:29:42 -0700, "Richard in AZ"
<me@mailinator.com> wrote:

>Have you gone to the Control Panel, removed password requirements and
>removed users?

Yes, I've worked my way through all the normal routines described by
others earlier in this newsgroup. In this case, none work.
Notwithstanding removal of previous ownership and passwords out of the
registry, I still get the "No domain server available .... " error
messages, 3 of them. I can simply hit enter through all 3 error
messages, and carry on to external 'net access. Internal home
network access is somehow blocked going out. Other computers in my
home network can get in.

I suspect this computer, which came from a large corporation, had a
number of registered users, all of whom were somehow verified on logon
from an external site. But this guesswork on my part.

In theory, I could simply have reformatted the drive and re-installed
Win98SE from scratch. However, the computer is an older 300mhz HP
Pressario. It's motherboard appears to be of a proprietary design
manufactured by ASUS. Drivers are not available on-line anywhere,
so I would have had no way to wake up and install on-board audio,
on-board video and on-board USB. So, I have to work within the
existing install.

Regards,

Terry
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 3:39:55 PM

http://search.support.microsoft.com/kb/c.asp?fr=0&SD=GN... MSKB
Search "Password"; Windows 98; Full Text; has many, many pages full.
Better go look. Well, here are just a sample...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;152104&Product=w98
How to Prevent a Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me Logon Prompt at
Startup
(152104) - This article describes how to prevent Windows from prompting
you for a password when you start Windows. Note that this information
applies only if you are not using user profiles. If you have user
profiles enabled, and you follow the steps in this...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;148925&Product=w98
Dial-Up Networking Dialog Box Prompts for Domain Name
(148899) - When you attempt to establish a Dial-Up Networking connection
with another Windows computer, you may receive a User Logon dialog box
in which you are prompted for a user name, a password, and a domain
name. NOTE: In the Novell environment, the domain...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;227090&Product=w98
Cannot Type Password in Screen Saver Password Box
(227090) - When you try to type your screen saver password in the "Type
your screen saver password" box, no characters may appear in the box and
the cursor may be missing.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;230059&Product=w98
Windows 98/Me Client Cannot Change Password
(230059) - When you try to change your password on a Microsoft Windows
98 or Windows Millennium Edition (Me) client at logon, you may receive
the following error message: Unable to change the password for Microsoft
Networking because of the following error: This...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;245663&Product=w98
Removing a Forgotten NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing Password
(245663) - If you do not know or have forgotten your NetMeeting Remote
Desktop Sharing password, please contact Microsoft Product Support
Services for assistance. For information about how to contact Microsoft
Product Support Services, please visit the following...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308178&Product=w98
Cannot Change Your Password During the Logon Process
(308178) - If your domain password must be changed (because it is
expired) when you log on to a client computer, a dialog box with one of
the following error messages may be displayed: Your password has
expired. The domain password you supplied is not correct,...

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
| On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:25:30 -0400, "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com>
| wrote:
|
| >How to Prevent a Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me Logon Prompt
at
| >Startup:
| >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=152104
|
| Yes, thank you. That has been previously posted and I found it when
| searching through past messages prior to posting this appeal. I
| did follow these instructions, but did not work in this instance.
|
| I suspect the previous corporate owner had some kind of password
| routine accessed on logon from a remote site somewhere to confirm that
| an authorized person had just logged on to this computer.
|
| In theory, I could simply have reformatted the drive and re-installed
| Win98SE. However, the computer is an older 300mhz HP Pressario. It's
| motherboard appears to be of a proprietary design manufactured by
| ASUS. Drivers are not available on-line anywhere, so I would have
| had no way to wake up on-board audio, on-board video and on-board USB.
| So, I have to work within the existing install.
|
| Regards,
|
| Terry

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 3:45:27 PM

http://www.pchelpandconsulting.com/links/windows.html WinDrvExpert
http://www.jermar.com/wdrvbck.htm WinDrvBckup free version

Those two supposedly back up all currently installed drivers, such
that they can be reinstalled. I never tried it but have seen a favorable
report/three-- & one (by Glee) that was so-so (or worse). SO, BETTER
make a full system backup, before wiping Windows...

Once you have a functioning system, especially one close to a clean
install, do a full system backup. If you have multiple partitions, I
guess a backup is a bit more complex. It depends upon the ties between
the Registry & the other partitions, as to whether they must be backed
up concurrently. Also, if you've changed the hardware since the backup,
you may need to change it back before a restore.

http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/index.html Backup & partitioning strategy
http://home.wanadoo.nl/geurt/home.html Extended Operating System Loader
http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/ TrueImage
http://www.arjsoftware.com ARJ Archiver
http://www.betterbackup.com/ Retrospect CD Backup
http://www.bootitng.com/ 's BootIt NG, has a variety of backup
capabilities: Copy to HDD, or Image to HDD or to CD. (TBIView, freely
downloadable, can retrieve individual files from an Image.)
Shrink/expand your partitions without data loss. Multi-boot, if you
dare. Free, run from floppy, but pay up as I did if satisfied. To
install & use beyond 30 days, $34.95.
http://www.cdrfaq.org/ CD R/W Backup
http://www.cyberiapc.com/backup.htm MyOwnBackup (MOB) (Free)
http://www.han-soft.com/habt.php Auto Backup (30-day free trial)
http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/cposupport/swdl.pl?c=co105&i=...
Simple Backup
http://www.karenware.com/ PtReplicator (Free)
http://www.lifesaverbackup.com/
http://www.mvps.org/links.html Should have good info
http://www.pcmag.com/ Lots & lots of sturdy downloads. There is a $20
yearly charge now.
http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic Partition Magic
http://www.ranish.com/part/ Ranish Partition Manager
http://www.rescue-me.net/gold.html
http://www.simtel.net/pub/dl/58307.shtml Backups
http://www.stompinc.com/bump/bump_details.phtml?stp Backup MyPC
http://www.thirdstar.net/thirdstar_datarecovery.htm Data recovery
http://www.tomsterdam.com/ BU process, performance, etc.
http://www.v-com.com/product/pc_ind.html Partition Commander
http://www.veritas.com Backup apps
http://www.xxcopy.com/ Detailed Procedure Copy (Free)
http://www.zeleps.com/ Partition re-sizer (Free)

All gathered at this site. Whichever you choose, approach it carefully
and verify all is well. After making a copy, run Scandisk/Defrag on it.
If it's an Image, use it's verify option; perhaps, restore it and do a
Scandisk/Defrag.

--
Thanks or Good Luck,
There may be humor in this post, and,
Naturally, you will not sue,
should things get worse after this,
PCR
pcrrcp@netzero.net
"Terry Smythe" <smythe@shaw.ca> wrote in message
| On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 14:25:30 -0400, "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com>
| wrote:
|
| >How to Prevent a Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me Logon Prompt
at
| >Startup:
| >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=152104
|
| Yes, thank you. That has been previously posted and I found it when
| searching through past messages prior to posting this appeal. I
| did follow these instructions, but did not work in this instance.
|
| I suspect the previous corporate owner had some kind of password
| routine accessed on logon from a remote site somewhere to confirm that
| an authorized person had just logged on to this computer.
|
| In theory, I could simply have reformatted the drive and re-installed
| Win98SE. However, the computer is an older 300mhz HP Pressario. It's
| motherboard appears to be of a proprietary design manufactured by
| ASUS. Drivers are not available on-line anywhere, so I would have
| had no way to wake up on-board audio, on-board video and on-board USB.
| So, I have to work within the existing install.
|
| Regards,
|
| Terry

Anonymous
June 19, 2005 1:52:59 AM

"Terry Smythe" <smythe@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> I've acquired a used computer that a has an unusual password logon
> routine that I can't get rid of. Running Win98SE
>
> I've implemented "Windows Logon", removed all the .pwl files and
> removed all the previous ownership and users out of the registry.
> But still this annoying password logon routine comes up every time,
> but now with the following error message:
>
> "No domain server was available to validate your password. You may
> not be able to gain access to some network resources."

The person you aquired the machine from was accessing a network through a
server which requires passwords. To eliminate the request for a domain
username/pw:
Right click NN on the desktop
Click Properties
Click once on Client fo MS Networks to hilite
Click Properties and uncheck Logon to Windows NT Domain
Click Ok > Ok

--

Brian A. Sesko
{ MS MVP_Shell/User }