April 30, 2006 4:04:33 PM

Heres my specs

Asus a8n32-sli
Amd 64 4400 x2 w/ zalman cnps 9500
2x1 gb corsair xms 3200
evga 7900gt
74gb wd raptor
pc power & cooling 510sli

Now what i did was I started messing around the overclocking capabilities that they give me access too. I apparently attempted a massive fsb overclock and now the computer monitor wont boot up. It was at default 205 mhz, and i had the option of between 200 and 400. So i raised it to 210. Then 225 and whenever i restarted the computer to save the settings, the monitor has never came back on. Now im a noob lol at this and looked everywhere for the answer and the only solution for others that i seen work was to reset the battery and reset the bios via cmos (also illustrated in the asus manual). I tried this numorous times and still no luck.

I also tried to put my brothers old video card which isnt pci x16 and his ram (256) in there. still no luck. I placed 1 of my sticks in his pc. the ram still works evidently and my GREEN light on my mother board has remained green so that means what? That my motherboard is still good? My processor is good? ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

More about : monitor wont boot

April 30, 2006 4:42:24 PM

pull your battery on the mobo. Look in the manual for the right jumper to clear your bios. Then clear it. It will boot after that.
April 30, 2006 5:04:24 PM

I tried it 1 more time, just for your reply. Still no luck.

The asus manual says

1. turn off the computer and unplug the power cord.
2. Remove the onboard battery
3. Move the jumper cap from pins 1-2 (default) to pins 2-3. Keep the cap on pins 2-3 for about 5~10 seconds, then move the cap back to pins 1-2.
4.Reinstall the battery
5.Plug the power cord and turn ON the computer
6.Hold down the <del> key during the boot process and enter BIOS setup to re-enter data.

I have tried various procedures but am open for any suggestions at this point.

Also i was wondering if anything i have may be completely damaged.
Related resources
April 30, 2006 5:51:53 PM

"5.Plug the power cord and turn ON the computer
6.Hold down the <del> key during the boot process and enter BIOS setup to re-enter data. "

What happens when you turn on the computer?

Are you holding down <del> key before the computer posts?

You should not have to re-enter data in the bios if you clear it. The bios should reset to defaults and then the bios should autodetect what you have... Or am i mistaken?
April 30, 2006 6:09:34 PM

Im not sure but either way i cant access the bios if the computer monitor remains blank. I tried holding del, page up, esc, enter, etc. the monitor acts like it is in sleep mode. I initially thought there was severe damage done, but i believe its not completely resetting and the settings are too high for the video card to work properly or even boot up.
April 30, 2006 6:44:52 PM

Is your VGA card seated properly?

Is your RAM seated properly?

You didn't drop any screws on the motherboard did you?
April 30, 2006 6:57:08 PM

Yea everything is seated properly. i just doublechecked. I even checked the vga adapter that my monitor needs for not having dvi-i inputs. I know the monitor is fine since i used it on another computer also.

Yea i did drop screws on the motherboard, but i doubt it damaged anything and i had removed them before plugging the psu back in.
April 30, 2006 7:15:18 PM

Well does anyone know what might be damaged from overclocking the fsb? Also knowing what definitely wouldnt be damaged would be a help.
April 30, 2006 7:51:09 PM

Quote:
Yea everything is seated properly. i just doublechecked. I even checked the vga adapter that my monitor needs for not having dvi-i inputs. I know the monitor is fine since i used it on another computer also.

Yea i did drop screws on the motherboard, but i doubt it damaged anything and i had removed them before plugging the psu back in.

Try resetting the BIOS to defaults.

If that doesn't work flash the BIOS to the latest stable version and try again.

Pop a PCI VGA in the system and run memtest for 8-12 hours ( overnight )

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/software/memtest86-ISO-b...

Or if you need to burn it under windows follow these instructions:

Download

http://memtest86.com/memtest86-3.2.iso.zip

+

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/download/ISORecorder...

Unzip memtest86 and record the ISO to a CDR with ISORecorder ( you must have XP SP2 ).

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/HowTo.htm

Good Luck :-D
April 30, 2006 7:52:33 PM

Quote:
Well does anyone know what might be damaged from overclocking the fsb? Also knowing what definitely wouldnt be damaged would be a help.

Is your PCI-E 6pin power connector securely plugged in?
April 30, 2006 8:14:17 PM

Yes i have the 6 pin connector plugged into the video card. Also might i add the fan is working. I just cant get to the bios screen since the monitor is not working. I have attempted to reset the bios numorous times and still the monitor remains off (like it would be in sleep mode).
April 30, 2006 8:32:50 PM

Quote:
Yes i have the 6 pin connector plugged into the video card. Also might i add the fan is working. I just cant get to the bios screen since the monitor is not working. I have attempted to reset the bios numorous times and still the monitor remains off (like it would be in sleep mode).

Please try a plain old PCI VGA if you have one or can buy or borrow one.

You can find them for as low as $5 online. Or about $30 new.

Use it to boot up, update the system BIOS and run memtest overnight.

Then reset the BIOS and try again with the PCI-E card.

If you have access to another system with PCI-E please try the card in it and see if it works.

Good Luck :-D
April 30, 2006 9:12:04 PM

Thanks

I tried using an older pci vga card yesterday but the monitor still didnt boot. That card is working right now in another computer. I will try it again whenever i have a chance.
April 30, 2006 9:33:05 PM

Quote:
Thanks

I tried using an older pci vga card yesterday but the monitor still didnt boot. That card is working right now in another computer. I will try it again whenever i have a chance.

Have you been able to try the same monitor with the PCI-E card in another computer?

It might be the monitor.
April 30, 2006 9:40:55 PM

Unfortunately i dont have another computer with pci-e slots. I cant see it being the monitor since it works on another computer as well. As a matter of fact im using it right now.
April 30, 2006 9:46:44 PM

you don't have to pull the battery.... just move the jumper... and then move it back
April 30, 2006 9:55:10 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately i dont have another computer with pci-e slots. I cant see it being the monitor since it works on another computer as well. As a matter of fact im using it right now.

Is your PC speaker hooked up? Are you getting any beep codes?

Have you checked to make sure nothing is shorting out the motherboard? Like brass standoffs in the wrong spot?

Try disconnecting everything from the motherboard including the front panel connectors and starting the machine with a jumper ( just jumper the PWR ON pins on the motherboard instantaneously ).
April 30, 2006 10:10:21 PM

I have the pc speaker hooked up. There is no beep codes at all. Nothing. I will try to disconnect everything momentarilly to see if that may work.

I just want to confirm. Turn the computer on with ONLY the pwr on pins?

Remove everything from my motherboard? even ram, video card, onboard battery..
April 30, 2006 10:16:34 PM

Don't even have to use a jumper, if you have a pair of scissors just short the two pins together for a second.... and that will do it.
April 30, 2006 10:18:19 PM

Quote:
I have the pc speaker hooked up. There is no beep codes at all. Nothing. I will try to disconnect everything momentarilly to see if that may work.

I just want to confirm. Turn the computer on with ONLY the pwr on pins?

Remove everything from my motherboard? even ram, video card, onboard battery..

Sorry I should have clarified better.

Uplug everything, PATA IDE drives, SATA IDE drives, front panel connectors including the PWR ON pins, speaker, PCI devices, FDD, mouse and even the keyboard.

Leave the ATX PWR connector ( s ) and the BIOS battery plugged in + one memory stick and use a jumper to momentarily jump the PWR ON pins to turn the system on and see if it helps.

Have you double and triple checked the brass standoffs?
April 30, 2006 10:21:07 PM

Quote:
Don't even have to use a jumper, if you have a pair of scissors just short the two pins together for a second.... and that will do it.

I already tried the standard jumper method. How would that help? And also is that with the computer on/off/ or on standby with the psu pluged in
April 30, 2006 10:21:24 PM

Quote:

While anything that conducts electricity will work in order to momentarily short the PWR ON pins to turn the machine on it is a LOT safer to use a jumper because it is a lot harder to accidentally short out the motherboard with a jumper.

If you accidentally drop a pair of scissors or a screwdriver on the motherboard you could easily fry it.

Jumpers are insulated so you have some form of protection.
April 30, 2006 10:28:10 PM

Quote:

I already tried the standard jumper method. How would that help? And also is that with the computer on/off/ or on standby with the psu pluged in

Take the motherboard out of the case put it on a non-conductive surface like cardboard, connect the power + 1 memory stick + the PCI-E VGA and monitor and try it.
April 30, 2006 10:30:26 PM

Ok thanks for all your help. Im gonna try that. Best of luck to me :D 
April 30, 2006 11:39:24 PM

"Uplug everything, PATA IDE drives, SATA IDE drives, front panel connectors including the PWR ON pins, speaker, PCI devices, FDD, mouse and even the keyboard.

Leave the ATX PWR connector ( s ) and the BIOS battery plugged in + one memory stick and use a jumper to momentarily jump the PWR ON pins to turn the system on and see if it helps."

I GOT GREAT NEWS!! IT WORKS :D 

I stripped the entire board (except cpu, 24pin power cord, 1 stick of ram and cpu power) then jumped the pwr on switch with the 2 pin jumper from my cmos. I jumped it once to turn it on and again to turn it off. After that i put the video card back in and all the power pins/reset/ leds and it successfully booted up and i set it back to default. THen booted in safe mode and made sure everything was good. then restarted in normal and everything is awesome. I couldnt of asked for anything more. I am so happy i didnt destroy anything. Thanks alot linux
April 30, 2006 11:45:00 PM

Quote:
"Uplug everything, PATA IDE drives, SATA IDE drives, front panel connectors including the PWR ON pins, speaker, PCI devices, FDD, mouse and even the keyboard.

Leave the ATX PWR connector ( s ) and the BIOS battery plugged in + one memory stick and use a jumper to momentarily jump the PWR ON pins to turn the system on and see if it helps."

I GOT GREAT NEWS!! IT WORKS :D 

I stripped the entire board (except cpu, 24pin power cord, 1 stick of ram and cpu power) then jumped the pwr on switch with the 2 pin jumper from my cmos. I jumped it once to turn it on and again to turn it off. After that i put the video card back in and all the power pins/reset/ leds and it successfully booted up and i set it back to default. THen booted in safe mode and made sure everything was good. then restarted in normal and everything is awesome. I couldnt of asked for anything more. I am so happy i didnt destroy anything. Thanks alot linux

AWESOME :-D

Good to hear it works!!!
April 30, 2006 11:54:09 PM

I was in a similar situation to you,
the problem for me was that the motherboard won't boot if the cpu fan is not connected.
(I was trying a passively cooled cpu solution)

So if you have connected the cpu fan to the chassis fan pins instead, that might be your problem.....
May 1, 2006 1:28:17 AM

Yea that would create problems but hey i never disconnected the cpu fan since this problem arroused, so it remained in the correct spot. Anyways everything is good now. Thanks
!