FS-9 disc4 backup

Hi All,
I read in the group where someone had a defective disk 4 and MS wanted the
price of the game to replace. If you have purchased the game, you should be
able to make a backup copy of disc 4 for your own use, I believe that's
legal. Has anyone done this and what software do you use to copy it with.
Thanks for any info.
david

Klaus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Did anybody try to make an image of the CD (including errors) and then
mount that image as an extra drive fx by using Daemon Tools.
IWJF = It Works Just Fine
:)

David Koehler wrote:
> Hi All,
> I read in the group where someone had a defective disk 4 and MS wanted the
> price of the game to replace. If you have purchased the game, you should be
> able to make a backup copy of disc 4 for your own use, I believe that's
> legal. Has anyone done this and what software do you use to copy it with.
> Thanks for any info.
> david

bryan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Yep, thats what I have done. I used Alcohol 120% to make the image and mount
it

"Klaus" <klaus@anywhere.righthere> wrote in message
> Did anybody try to make an image of the CD (including errors) and then
> mount that image as an extra drive fx by using Daemon Tools.
> IWJF = It Works Just Fine
> :)

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

> If you have purchased the game, you should be
> able to make a backup copy of disc 4 for your own use, > I believe that's
> legal.

Right. On MS disks it says "Do not make ILLEGAL copies of this disk." Thus
the difference between a legit backup copy and an illegal, distributed copy.
;)

2992

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

For those that don't understand much computer speak, is it possible to get a
backup copy done? I have noticed my disc 4 is getting a little worse for
wear.
Chris

--
I'm not always right,
But I'm never wrong!
"David Koehler" <dk0257@ev1.net> wrote in message
> Hi All,
> I read in the group where someone had a defective disk 4 and MS wanted the
> price of the game to replace. If you have purchased the game, you should
> be
> able to make a backup copy of disc 4 for your own use, I believe that's
> legal. Has anyone done this and what software do you use to copy it with.
> Thanks for any info.
> david

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Chris wrote:
> For those that don't understand much computer speak, is it possible to get a
> backup copy done? I have noticed my disc 4 is getting a little worse for
> wear.
> Chris

Get the NO-CD file here and use it to boot FS9. Be sure to get the
correct one, for 9.0 or 9.1, whichever you're running.

http://spacetarget.com/games/pc_flight_simulator_2004.shtml

--

boB,
SAG 70

U.S. Army Aviation (retired)

there are plenty of good free programs that will allow you to back up your
disk 4, and they will tell you how to do it to, just google it. But then if
you read some earlier posts, there is another way :)
"Chris" <me@there.com.au> wrote in message
> For those that don't understand much computer speak, is it possible to get
> backup copy done? I have noticed my disc 4 is getting a little worse for
> wear.
> Chris
>
> --
> I'm not always right,
> But I'm never wrong!
> "David Koehler" <dk0257@ev1.net> wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> > I read in the group where someone had a defective disk 4 and MS wanted
the
> > price of the game to replace. If you have purchased the game, you should
> > be
> > able to make a backup copy of disc 4 for your own use, I believe that's
> > legal. Has anyone done this and what software do you use to copy it
with.
> > Thanks for any info.
> > david

Unfortunately, there are no free programs which will back up disc #4.
It's SafeDisc 2.9 copy-protected and is a very difficult disc to copy. The
only program that will copy copy that disc reliably is BlindWrite (
http://www.vso-software.fr/ ) . And they do offer a fully-functional
evaluation download, so you can try-before-you-buy. But, as others have
noted, it's easier to just download and install the No_CD FS9.exe file which
eliminates the requirement for the CD to be in the drive at all. See
http://www.simugold.fsnet.co.uk/files/nocd2k4patched.zip if running FS9.1 or
http://www.simugoldc.fsnet.co.uk/files/nocd2k4.zip if running FS9 without
the patch.

Trip

"Paul R" <rudmans@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
> there are plenty of good free programs that will allow you to back up your
> disk 4, and they will tell you how to do it to, just google it. But then
> if
> you read some earlier posts, there is another way :)
> "Chris" <me@there.com.au> wrote in message
>> For those that don't understand much computer speak, is it possible to
>> get
>> backup copy done? I have noticed my disc 4 is getting a little worse for
>> wear.
>> Chris
>>
>> --
>> I'm not always right,
>> But I'm never wrong!
>> "David Koehler" <dk0257@ev1.net> wrote in message
>> > Hi All,
>> > I read in the group where someone had a defective disk 4 and MS wanted
> the
>> > price of the game to replace. If you have purchased the game, you
>> > should
>> > be
>> > able to make a backup copy of disc 4 for your own use, I believe that's
>> > legal. Has anyone done this and what software do you use to copy it
> with.
>> > Thanks for any info.
>> > david

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

"boB" <akita_77REMOVECAPS@yahoo.Xcom> wrote in message
> Chris wrote:
> > For those that don't understand much computer speak, is it possible to
get a
> > backup copy done? I have noticed my disc 4 is getting a little worse for
> > wear.
> > Chris
> >

> Get the NO-CD file here and use it to boot FS9. Be sure to get the
> correct one, for 9.0 or 9.1, whichever you're running.
>
> http://spacetarget.com/games/pc_flight_simulator_2004.shtml
>
> --
>
> boB,
> SAG 70
>
> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
> Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield

Cool! Thanks. What do I open rar files with? It downloads as a rar file.
cheers,
Chris

Chris -

You need a program called WinRAR to extract a .rar file (
http://www.rarlab.com/ ). You can get the file(s) here in a .zip format
which may be more convenient:

http://www.simugold.fsnet.co.uk/files/nocd2k4patched.zip (use if you have
the FS9.1 patch installed)
http://www.simviation.com/files/1misc/FS2004NoCD.zip (use if you do not
have the 9.1 patch installed)

Trip

"Chris" <me@you.nospam> wrote in message
> "boB" <akita_77REMOVECAPS@yahoo.Xcom> wrote in message
>> Chris wrote:
>> > For those that don't understand much computer speak, is it possible to
> get a
>> > backup copy done? I have noticed my disc 4 is getting a little worse
>> > for
>> > wear.
>> > Chris
>> >

>> Get the NO-CD file here and use it to boot FS9. Be sure to get the
>> correct one, for 9.0 or 9.1, whichever you're running.
>>
>> http://spacetarget.com/games/pc_flight_simulator_2004.shtml
>>
>> --
>>
>> boB,
>> SAG 70
>>
>> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
>> Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield
>
> Cool! Thanks. What do I open rar files with? It downloads as a rar file.
> cheers,
> Chris

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Fantastic! Thanks for that! Downloaded, and unzipped nicely. Now I can pack
away my disc 4, and be guaranteed many more years of life from it! :)
Thanks guys!
Chris

--
I'm not always right,
But I'm never wrong!
"Trip Lane" <Trip@NoSpam.com> wrote in message
> Chris -
>
> You need a program called WinRAR to extract a .rar file (
> http://www.rarlab.com/ ). You can get the file(s) here in a .zip format
> which may be more convenient:
>
> http://www.simugold.fsnet.co.uk/files/nocd2k4patched.zip (use if you have
> the FS9.1 patch installed)
> http://www.simviation.com/files/1misc/FS2004NoCD.zip (use if you do not
> have the 9.1 patch installed)
>
> Trip

> "Chris" <me@you.nospam> wrote in message
>> "boB" <akita_77REMOVECAPS@yahoo.Xcom> wrote in message
>> get a
>>> >

>>> Get the NO-CD file here and use it to boot FS9. Be sure to get the
>>> correct one, for 9.0 or 9.1, whichever you're running.
>>>
>>> http://spacetarget.com/games/pc_flight_simulator_2004.shtml
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> boB,
>>> SAG 70
>>>
>>> U.S. Army Aviation (retired)
>>> Central Texas - 5NM West of Gray Army Airfield
>>
>> Cool! Thanks. What do I open rar files with? It downloads as a rar file.
>> cheers,
>> Chris

Just in case there are others like Chris who do not know about the No-CD
crack. I have never used my 4th CD since I installed FS2004. The crack has
been available on many websites and is the best thing to use. It is so
widely used by our friends that I wonder if the next FS will bother with
such a silly system.

Cheers
Quilly

Try 'Living With Technology' magazine