SP2 and Norton conflict

After I installed SP2 XP security center says that Norton is installed but
status unknown for virus protection. I have Norton Virus checker turned on.
How can I get XP Security Center to recognize Norton Virus Staus
Thank You
10 answers Last reply
More about norton conflict

    Hi Jerry,

    Check with Symantec support as there are various patches for their products
    and SP2.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    Jerry wrote:
    > After I installed SP2 XP security center says that Norton is installed but
    > status unknown for virus protection. I have Norton Virus checker turned on.
    > How can I get XP Security Center to recognize Norton Virus Staus
    > Thank You

    What to do when the "Your computer might be at risk . . . " appears when
    using Norton 2004/2005 products
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2004070814522613

    What to do when the "Your computer might be at risk . . . " appears when
    using Norton 2002/2003 products
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2004090913261113

    Symantec Security Alert appears after running LiveUpdate or installing
    XP Service Pack 2
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2004070812114713
    --
    Tom Porterfield
    MS-MVP MCE

    Thank You Very Much

    Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:

    > Hi Jerry,
    >
    > Check with Symantec support as there are various patches for their products
    > and SP2.

    Rick, your advice was 99% correct. The problem is the other 1%,
    which overshadows the 99%:

    Symantec is almost impossible when it comes to support.
    Their website is tortuous and frustrating, designed to
    discourage people. Then they send you to their
    "Knowledge Base", which almost never understands your
    query, and then there is almost no way to send a specific
    message. They even sent me a URL that's suppose to allow
    the input of a text message......but it doesn't.

    Finally, you hear from them....and their solution, if
    it would work at all, involves one URL after another,
    buried 3-deep, and you have to print out page after
    page in order to see what you are supposed to do, in
    sequence. To top it off, much of their "fixes" requires
    you to search and destroy in the Registry.....a very
    dangerous operation.

    I gave up on fixing Symantec's System Works. I just live
    with its error messages. Good luck to you in trying to
    UNinstall Norton System Works....I did. And you can be damn
    sure I'll not upgrade to the 2005 model which is now
    available.

    --
    William B. Lurie

    On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 08:09:56 -0400, "William B. Lurie"
    <billurie@nospam.org> wrote:

    >Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Jerry,
    >>
    >> Check with Symantec support as there are various patches for their products
    >> and SP2.
    >>
    >Rick, your advice was 99% correct. The problem is the other 1%,
    >which overshadows the 99%:
    >
    >Symantec is almost impossible when it comes to support.
    >Their website is tortuous and frustrating, designed to
    >discourage people. Then they send you to their
    >"Knowledge Base", which almost never understands your
    >query, and then there is almost no way to send a specific
    >message. They even sent me a URL that's suppose to allow
    >the input of a text message......but it doesn't.
    >
    >Finally, you hear from them....and their solution, if
    >it would work at all, involves one URL after another,
    >buried 3-deep, and you have to print out page after
    >page in order to see what you are supposed to do, in
    >sequence. To top it off, much of their "fixes" requires
    >you to search and destroy in the Registry.....a very
    >dangerous operation.
    >
    >I gave up on fixing Symantec's System Works. I just live
    >with its error messages. Good luck to you in trying to
    >UNinstall Norton System Works....I did. And you can be damn
    >sure I'll not upgrade to the 2005 model which is now
    >available.

    I won't be upgrading any of our numerous Symantec products (and the
    Powerquest one's they unfortunately bought out too.) There is a much
    better alternative if you are looking for a replacement that is right
    on Microsoft's home page which also comes with a free 12 month virus
    subscription update!!!

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/antivirus/default.mspx

    My story:
    Having been a 10 year customer of Symantec (maybe more) and owning
    several licenses, I have ditched Symantec entirely and especially
    Systemworks 2004 which is a slow, bloated mess that can disrupt other
    applications (in addition to being a memory hog.) I will back up what
    William has said and am convinced that Symantec's support follows the
    lousy design of their products so that you could spend additional
    money on their support line explaining why you didn't get it right and
    then apologizing endless why they have no choice but to charge you
    because of company policy. In search of the "revenue generators" I
    will add "Symantec" and "Norton" of the list of companies with failing
    products looking to trade off of its once good name... see for
    yourself the reviews... Good luck!

    Just tell Microsoft to ignore the virus check. If you've got Norton
    installed, then you don't need Microsoft nattering at you about it. At
    least that was my take on it.

    Bill

    On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 11:37:19 -0400, "Bill Martin"
    <wylie@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >Just tell Microsoft to ignore the virus check. If you've got Norton
    >installed, then you don't need Microsoft nattering at you about it. At
    >least that was my take on it.

    There is a definite problem with Norton and SP2. I believe it is also
    on the Symantec web site and there is no solution in sight at the
    moment.

    Bill--

    If only going to Norton/Symantec for updates had any efficacy, but it often
    doesn't.

    For home and small business users, to gain SP2 compatibility with Norton
    products, the Norton side of that company issued the so-called *WMI update
    patch* for SP2, but they have stubbornly only issued it as a Live Update
    install*--in other words they have been totally goofy and not put it on
    their site for just plain download. That's why the only reference to it on
    their site is an FAQ. Rogue Norton WMI patches have been showing up on XP
    forums and sites in response to this obvious ploy to try to make people buy
    new Norton 2005 AV or NSW.

    Sometimes the WMI patch makes Norton completely compatible, and this happens
    more as you get newer versions of Norton, and other times it will make the
    SP2 Windows Security Center recognize it, but a complete scan and Live
    Update won't work and this can happen on the same version different boxes
    depending on your luck. The WMI patch is not issue free.

    http://www.mcse.ms/message1002520.html

    http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/sp2/faq.html

    The answers from Symantec on this FAQ just issued *just aren't true in some
    cases.* There is the paradox that for many, Live Update doesn't work with
    SP2 and Norton has elected not to deliver their update patches any other
    way.Whether Norton is installed before or after, SP2 breaks Live Udpate and
    you can't get the patch.

    To remedy a broken Live Update, Norton offers KB 1806 which typically refers
    you to Norton KB 1812.

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2003082911090713?OpenDocument&src=_mi&product=LU&version=2.5&language=english&module=LU&error=1812&build=Symantec

    KB 1812 often doesn't fix a broken Live Update, nor does their ultimate
    suggestion to manually uninstall or reinstall Norton again.

    NAV 2005 works fine without any patches, for some, and for others it works
    until 3 boots and then you get the refresh freeze problem which is basically
    an IE J-script problem/ Windows
    Script Host problem fixed some times (but not all) with

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nsw.nsf/0f75ab1a9982283d88256c250066dc94/9918704bb68cedfe882568040070e925?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

    They have staggered patches for many Symantec enterprise antivirus editions
    with the propsect that they could come out on a loose time table as far in
    advance of SP2's release as a couple months. One good point was it really
    means little to have the Windows Security center recognize whether Norton is
    on, and you could basically turn it off. People have pointed out that none
    the less, when the Security Center doesn't recognize Norton Unless you're a
    basic user who is not interested in those things at all, you don't need that
    Security Center for anything. You can turn it off as Bill Martin said and
    not worry about it. A lot of people will be turning off the Windows
    Firewall anyway, because they elect to get 3rd party firewalls with more
    functionality--but to MSFT's credit, the Windows Firewall is free and they
    want everyone to have at least some form of firewall and ultimately AV
    protection.

    Symantec/Norton is a Platinum partner of MSFT, and had access to plenty of
    SP2 code to become compatible before even the first beta build of SP2 was
    released.

    You did an *excellent bang up job* of summing up Norton's non-intuitive,
    byzantine, disorganized, Raiders of the Lost Ark approach approach to
    information on its website. Norton/Symantec is a maker of buggy software
    with a buggy website. From the first time I saw it, I was sure taking a
    daily chaos pill was required to work at Symantec/Norton.

    Chad Harris

    "William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
    Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:

    > Hi Jerry,
    >
    > Check with Symantec support as there are various patches for their
    > products and SP2.

    Rick, your advice was 99% correct. The problem is the other 1%,
    which overshadows the 99%:

    Symantec is almost impossible when it comes to support.
    Their website is tortuous and frustrating, designed to
    discourage people. Then they send you to their
    "Knowledge Base", which almost never understands your
    query, and then there is almost no way to send a specific
    message. They even sent me a URL that's suppose to allow
    the input of a text message......but it doesn't.

    Finally, you hear from them....and their solution, if
    it would work at all, involves one URL after another,
    buried 3-deep, and you have to print out page after
    page in order to see what you are supposed to do, in
    sequence. To top it off, much of their "fixes" requires
    you to search and destroy in the Registry.....a very
    dangerous operation.

    I gave up on fixing Symantec's System Works. I just live
    with its error messages. Good luck to you in trying to
    UNinstall Norton System Works....I did. And you can be damn
    sure I'll not upgrade to the 2005 model which is now
    available.

    --
    William B. Lurie

    I have the same setup as you and the same problem as you but i just let it
    be cause BOTH are working as they should.

    "Jerry" <jerry-n-doris@comcast.com> wrote in message
    > After I installed SP2 XP security center says that Norton is installed but
    > status unknown for virus protection. I have Norton Virus checker turned
    > on. How can I get XP Security Center to recognize Norton Virus Staus
    > Thank You

    > >Just tell Microsoft to ignore the virus check. If you've got Norton
    > >installed, then you don't need Microsoft nattering at you about it. At
    > >least that was my take on it.
    >
    > There is a definite problem with Norton and SP2. I believe it is also
    > on the Symantec web site and there is no solution in sight at the
    > moment.

    Which is exactly why I tell XP not to natter at me about it. Otherwise it is
    giving me a warning about something that's not of concern in the first place.
    AV is actually working -- it just isn't telling XP that it is.

    Bill -- (Remove KILLSPAM from my address to use it)

Security Windows XP Norton Virus