Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

SP2 and Norton conflict

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
September 14, 2004 12:45:46 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

After I installed SP2 XP security center says that Norton is installed but
status unknown for virus protection. I have Norton Virus checker turned on.
How can I get XP Security Center to recognize Norton Virus Staus
Thank You

More about : sp2 norton conflict

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
September 14, 2004 10:09:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi Jerry,

Check with Symantec support as there are various patches for their products
and SP2.

--
Best of Luck,

Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Jerry" <jerry-n-doris@comcast.com> wrote in message
news:uqySZ1gmEHA.3564@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> After I installed SP2 XP security center says that Norton is installed but
> status unknown for virus protection. I have Norton Virus checker turned
> on. How can I get XP Security Center to recognize Norton Virus Staus
> Thank You
>
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
September 14, 2004 10:17:22 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Jerry wrote:
> After I installed SP2 XP security center says that Norton is installed but
> status unknown for virus protection. I have Norton Virus checker turned on.
> How can I get XP Security Center to recognize Norton Virus Staus
> Thank You

What to do when the "Your computer might be at risk . . . " appears when
using Norton 2004/2005 products
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/doc...

What to do when the "Your computer might be at risk . . . " appears when
using Norton 2002/2003 products
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/doc...

Symantec Security Alert appears after running LiveUpdate or installing
XP Service Pack 2
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/doc...
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP MCE
http://support.telop.org

Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup only.
Related resources
September 14, 2004 10:17:23 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Thank You Very Much

"Tom Porterfield" <tpporter@mvps.org> wrote in message
news:e0KVIQkmEHA.3428@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> Jerry wrote:
>> After I installed SP2 XP security center says that Norton is installed
>> but status unknown for virus protection. I have Norton Virus checker
>> turned on. How can I get XP Security Center to recognize Norton Virus
>> Staus
>> Thank You
>
> What to do when the "Your computer might be at risk . . . " appears when
> using Norton 2004/2005 products
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/doc...
>
> What to do when the "Your computer might be at risk . . . " appears when
> using Norton 2002/2003 products
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/doc...
>
> Symantec Security Alert appears after running LiveUpdate or installing XP
> Service Pack 2
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/doc...
> --
> Tom Porterfield
> MS-MVP MCE
> http://support.telop.org
>
> Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup only.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
September 14, 2004 12:09:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:

> Hi Jerry,
>
> Check with Symantec support as there are various patches for their products
> and SP2.
>
Rick, your advice was 99% correct. The problem is the other 1%,
which overshadows the 99%:

Symantec is almost impossible when it comes to support.
Their website is tortuous and frustrating, designed to
discourage people. Then they send you to their
"Knowledge Base", which almost never understands your
query, and then there is almost no way to send a specific
message. They even sent me a URL that's suppose to allow
the input of a text message......but it doesn't.

Finally, you hear from them....and their solution, if
it would work at all, involves one URL after another,
buried 3-deep, and you have to print out page after
page in order to see what you are supposed to do, in
sequence. To top it off, much of their "fixes" requires
you to search and destroy in the Registry.....a very
dangerous operation.

I gave up on fixing Symantec's System Works. I just live
with its error messages. Good luck to you in trying to
UNinstall Norton System Works....I did. And you can be damn
sure I'll not upgrade to the 2005 model which is now
available.

--
William B. Lurie
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
September 14, 2004 1:55:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 08:09:56 -0400, "William B. Lurie"
<billurie@nospam.org> wrote:

>Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
>
>> Hi Jerry,
>>
>> Check with Symantec support as there are various patches for their products
>> and SP2.
>>
>Rick, your advice was 99% correct. The problem is the other 1%,
>which overshadows the 99%:
>
>Symantec is almost impossible when it comes to support.
>Their website is tortuous and frustrating, designed to
>discourage people. Then they send you to their
>"Knowledge Base", which almost never understands your
>query, and then there is almost no way to send a specific
>message. They even sent me a URL that's suppose to allow
>the input of a text message......but it doesn't.
>
>Finally, you hear from them....and their solution, if
>it would work at all, involves one URL after another,
>buried 3-deep, and you have to print out page after
>page in order to see what you are supposed to do, in
>sequence. To top it off, much of their "fixes" requires
>you to search and destroy in the Registry.....a very
>dangerous operation.
>
>I gave up on fixing Symantec's System Works. I just live
>with its error messages. Good luck to you in trying to
>UNinstall Norton System Works....I did. And you can be damn
>sure I'll not upgrade to the 2005 model which is now
>available.


I won't be upgrading any of our numerous Symantec products (and the
Powerquest one's they unfortunately bought out too.) There is a much
better alternative if you are looking for a replacement that is right
on Microsoft's home page which also comes with a free 12 month virus
subscription update!!!

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp...

My story:
Having been a 10 year customer of Symantec (maybe more) and owning
several licenses, I have ditched Symantec entirely and especially
Systemworks 2004 which is a slow, bloated mess that can disrupt other
applications (in addition to being a memory hog.) I will back up what
William has said and am convinced that Symantec's support follows the
lousy design of their products so that you could spend additional
money on their support line explaining why you didn't get it right and
then apologizing endless why they have no choice but to charge you
because of company policy. In search of the "revenue generators" I
will add "Symantec" and "Norton" of the list of companies with failing
products looking to trade off of its once good name... see for
yourself the reviews... Good luck!
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
September 14, 2004 3:37:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Just tell Microsoft to ignore the virus check. If you've got Norton
installed, then you don't need Microsoft nattering at you about it. At
least that was my take on it.

Bill
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
September 14, 2004 9:06:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 11:37:19 -0400, "Bill Martin"
<wylie@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Just tell Microsoft to ignore the virus check. If you've got Norton
>installed, then you don't need Microsoft nattering at you about it. At
>least that was my take on it.

There is a definite problem with Norton and SP2. I believe it is also
on the Symantec web site and there is no solution in sight at the
moment.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
September 15, 2004 1:18:00 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Bill--

If only going to Norton/Symantec for updates had any efficacy, but it often
doesn't.

For home and small business users, to gain SP2 compatibility with Norton
products, the Norton side of that company issued the so-called *WMI update
patch* for SP2, but they have stubbornly only issued it as a Live Update
install*--in other words they have been totally goofy and not put it on
their site for just plain download. That's why the only reference to it on
their site is an FAQ. Rogue Norton WMI patches have been showing up on XP
forums and sites in response to this obvious ploy to try to make people buy
new Norton 2005 AV or NSW.

Sometimes the WMI patch makes Norton completely compatible, and this happens
more as you get newer versions of Norton, and other times it will make the
SP2 Windows Security Center recognize it, but a complete scan and Live
Update won't work and this can happen on the same version different boxes
depending on your luck. The WMI patch is not issue free.

http://www.mcse.ms/message1002520.html

http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/sp2/faq.html

The answers from Symantec on this FAQ just issued *just aren't true in some
cases.* There is the paradox that for many, Live Update doesn't work with
SP2 and Norton has elected not to deliver their update patches any other
way.Whether Norton is installed before or after, SP2 breaks Live Udpate and
you can't get the patch.

To remedy a broken Live Update, Norton offers KB 1806 which typically refers
you to Norton KB 1812.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/doc...

KB 1812 often doesn't fix a broken Live Update, nor does their ultimate
suggestion to manually uninstall or reinstall Norton again.

NAV 2005 works fine without any patches, for some, and for others it works
until 3 boots and then you get the refresh freeze problem which is basically
an IE J-script problem/ Windows
Script Host problem fixed some times (but not all) with

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nsw.nsf/0f75ab1a99...

They have staggered patches for many Symantec enterprise antivirus editions
with the propsect that they could come out on a loose time table as far in
advance of SP2's release as a couple months. One good point was it really
means little to have the Windows Security center recognize whether Norton is
on, and you could basically turn it off. People have pointed out that none
the less, when the Security Center doesn't recognize Norton Unless you're a
basic user who is not interested in those things at all, you don't need that
Security Center for anything. You can turn it off as Bill Martin said and
not worry about it. A lot of people will be turning off the Windows
Firewall anyway, because they elect to get 3rd party firewalls with more
functionality--but to MSFT's credit, the Windows Firewall is free and they
want everyone to have at least some form of firewall and ultimately AV
protection.


Symantec/Norton is a Platinum partner of MSFT, and had access to plenty of
SP2 code to become compatible before even the first beta build of SP2 was
released.

You did an *excellent bang up job* of summing up Norton's non-intuitive,
byzantine, disorganized, Raiders of the Lost Ark approach approach to
information on its website. Norton/Symantec is a maker of buggy software
with a buggy website. From the first time I saw it, I was sure taking a
daily chaos pill was required to work at Symantec/Norton.

Chad Harris
_______________________________________________________


"William B. Lurie" <billurie@nospam.org> wrote in message
news:o LsZaPlmEHA.2680@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:

> Hi Jerry,
>
> Check with Symantec support as there are various patches for their
> products and SP2.
>
Rick, your advice was 99% correct. The problem is the other 1%,
which overshadows the 99%:

Symantec is almost impossible when it comes to support.
Their website is tortuous and frustrating, designed to
discourage people. Then they send you to their
"Knowledge Base", which almost never understands your
query, and then there is almost no way to send a specific
message. They even sent me a URL that's suppose to allow
the input of a text message......but it doesn't.

Finally, you hear from them....and their solution, if
it would work at all, involves one URL after another,
buried 3-deep, and you have to print out page after
page in order to see what you are supposed to do, in
sequence. To top it off, much of their "fixes" requires
you to search and destroy in the Registry.....a very
dangerous operation.

I gave up on fixing Symantec's System Works. I just live
with its error messages. Good luck to you in trying to
UNinstall Norton System Works....I did. And you can be damn
sure I'll not upgrade to the 2005 model which is now
available.

--
William B. Lurie
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
September 15, 2004 10:23:28 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

I have the same setup as you and the same problem as you but i just let it
be cause BOTH are working as they should.



"Jerry" <jerry-n-doris@comcast.com> wrote in message
news:uqySZ1gmEHA.3564@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> After I installed SP2 XP security center says that Norton is installed but
> status unknown for virus protection. I have Norton Virus checker turned
> on. How can I get XP Security Center to recognize Norton Virus Staus
> Thank You
>
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
September 15, 2004 5:39:12 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

> >Just tell Microsoft to ignore the virus check. If you've got Norton
> >installed, then you don't need Microsoft nattering at you about it. At
> >least that was my take on it.
>
> There is a definite problem with Norton and SP2. I believe it is also
> on the Symantec web site and there is no solution in sight at the
> moment.

Which is exactly why I tell XP not to natter at me about it. Otherwise it is
giving me a warning about something that's not of concern in the first place.
AV is actually working -- it just isn't telling XP that it is.

Bill -- (Remove KILLSPAM from my address to use it)
!